Is Revis the Greatest of All Time?

Maxman

If you go by just stats Vinny is better then Montana more passing yds and TD's.. Lynn Swann never had even a 900 yd season or a year with more then 61 catches.. Gale Sayers had just 2 thousand yd seasons so do you want them out of the HOF?? Sometimes you have to see the players perform and not just rely on stats..

Joe " hair club for man" Namath stats were not hall of fame worthy. ( Fact) Completion percentage 50%- really was under 50%. threw way more interceptions than Tds. What was his won lost record as Qb. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NamaJo00.htm Go ahead and defend these putrid stats. take Joe Namath out of the hall- you cheapen the other greats that are in there.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really care about some lists, Woodson gets overrated b/c he was great w/ the ball in his hands and was a playmaker.  he got killed by top WRs in his career.  He was a much better safety late in his career than he was a corner(though he was a good corner just not on a revis level).  Was Woodson's career better than Revis'?  I'd agree w/ that only b/c Woodson played 17 seasons, Revis 8 but Revis is a much better cover corner than Woodson ever was.

Lynn Swann doesn't belong anywhere bear the HOF w/o a ticket but they have to put every Steeler imaginable in the Hall but otherwsise I agree w/ your post.

Joe " hair club for man" Namath stats were not hall of fame worthy. ( Fact) Completion percentage 50%- really was under 50%. threw way more interceptions than Tds. What was his won lost record as Qb. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NamaJo00.htm Go ahead and defend these putrid stats. take Joe Namath out of the hall- you cheapen the other greats that are in there.

Joe made it for what he meant to the game more than his play on the field, unfortunately injuries robbed him of what would have been an all time great career.

Revis is arguably one of the best at the moment, which is great for him given that he's still playing. By the time he retires this may not even be a question. 

I will say that he's had the best season ever by a CB (2009) and was completely robbed by the league for not getting DPOTY as well as a few vote considerations for MVP. The level of talent he faced that year and shut down was unprecedented, especially taking into account the rules and type of league he plays in today. 

he was badly robbed b/c Woodson scored a bunch of TDs. 

he has ONE 1st team all pro selection.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GreeDa00.htm

You can't judge based on #s, the best corners shut down their opponents, that is more important than some INT #s. 

I guarantee you all NFL historians would agree with me.  Darrell Green would agree w/ me.

Green played 20 years and had 1 1st team all pro.  He was a very good player but he is not Revis.

It's not soly based on stats, but the dude is retired, want you want me to do, go fishing for youtube for clips. The style of football has changed. Now a corner is judged by shutting down one side of the field, back when Green was playing, every QB tested every corner. You think Jim Kelly (for ex.) would be afraid to throw against Revis or Sherman...come on..

sh*t when Revis was playing for the pats, Rodgers threw toward Revis a few times and didnt throw against Sherman at all in one game.

I truly doubt any historian gonna agree with you to this level. I'm sure I could google a list of top all time corners right now and it wouldn't replicated anything you're saying (that Green is not on Revis level)

he was badly robbed b/c Woodson scored a bunch of TDs. 

Yeah, Revis was badly robbed because Woodson scored TD's yet taking in his entire performance simply didnt have a better year than Revis. 

Thats exactly what im saying. And I wont respond to this again. I dont need to argue with what is my opinion on the subject. It is what it is. You can disagree. 

It's not soly based on stats, but the dude is retired, want you want me to do, go fishing for youtube for clips. The style of football has changed. Now a corner is judged by shutting down one side of the field, back when Green was playing, every QB tested every corner. You think Jim Kelly (for ex.) would be afraid to throw against Revis or Sherman...come on..

sh*t when Revis was playing for the pats, Rodgers threw toward Revis a few times and didnt throw against Sherman at all in one game.

I truly doubt any historian gonna agree with you to this level. I'm sure I could google a list of top all time corners right now and it wouldn't replicated anything you're saying (that Green is not on Revis level)

of course times have changed, it is MUCH tougher to be a corner today and Revis is better against tougher rules and better competition than Green was in his day.  I am NOT bashing Green, he's just not Revis.

So did Ken Stabler and he played some years after the 1978 offensive rule changes that made it much easier for the offense.. The AFL was a bomb throwing league you can't compare the 2 era's..

Joe made it for what he meant to the game more than his play on the field, unfortunately injuries robbed him of what would have been an all time great career.

sure Namath had unbelievable God given abilities throwing the football. Due to injuries he never had the career his talent said he should have. That's life, but you don't award someone a sympathy vote when the numbers aren't hall of fame worthy.

sure Namath had unbelievable God given abilities throwing the football. Due to injuries he never had the career his talent said he should have. That's life, but you don't award someone a sympathy vote when the numbers aren't hall of fame worthy.

I don't think it was a "sympathy vote".  He meant so much to the growth of the game, he was the first real superstar football player, he brought so much attention to the league and led the Jets to the win in what was probably the most significant game in the history of pro football.  He belongs in for all he meant to the game.

of course times have changed, it is MUCH tougher to be a corner today and Revis is better against tougher rules and better competition than Green was in his day.  I am NOT bashing Green, he's just not Revis.

you are off, i know no where anyone is gonna have Revis that high now, or mention Green not being on Revis level..ha ha I have NEVER heard that when anyone brings up Revis. We will just agree to disagree.

So you think Gale Sayers should be out??

also..i did a quick google search of all time greats, Revis is not even mentioned.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/top-10-greatest-nfl-cornerbacks-of-all-time.html/?a=viewall

I dont agree with who they have as number, but i think you're gonna have a hard time finding any list where Revis being number one on that list.

also..i did a quick google search of all time greats, Revis is not even mentioned.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/top-10-greatest-nfl-cornerbacks-of-all-time.html/?a=viewall

I dont agree with who they have as number, but i think you're gonna have a hard time finding any list where Revis being number one on that list.

Bowles said yesterday the 2 best he ever saw was Deion and Mike Haynes .. And they are both on that list..

So did Ken Stabler and he played some years after the 1978 offensive rule changes that made it much easier for the offense.. The AFL was a bomb throwing league you can't compare the 2 era's..

Joe Namath stats versus Ken Stabler. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StabKe00.htm The Snake had some of the most clutch big plays, in big games. Joe Namath had probably more God given ability throwing the football , than Ken Stabler. He didn't have better career( See Bo Jackson- imagine if he played just football and stayed healthy- can't do that as you're judged by what you did on the field.

Joe Namath stats weren't hall of fame worthy in any era. his teams were god awful, and unfortunately due to injury didn't have the career his talent said he might.

So you think Gale Sayers should be out??

Little before my time Gale Sayers. ( started really watching football in 1974- never seen the real good Namath)

I would say yes. you have to do it over time, and I know he had unbelievable talent but he didn't do it long enough. his stats aren't hall of fame worthy.

you are off, i know no where anyone is gonna have Revis that high now, or mention Green not being on Revis level..ha ha I have NEVER heard that when anyone brings up Revis. We will just agree to disagree.

we are always allowed to disagree.

that list means nothing to me. it is laughable that anyone would have Woodson at #1 and Lott only played about 4 seasons at CB, the rest of his career he was a safety.

it is funny that the photo on the first page was the 1994 NFC title game.  Irvin had 12 recs, 194 yds and 2 TDs in that game against Deion. Imagine that happenning to Revis? I don't think in 9 career playoff games he has allowed the men he has covered to gain 194 yds.

That's why I hate these arguments; homers will overrate their guys to a fault.

it's not being a homer to say Revis is an all time great, I said it when we traded him to TB, I said it when he signed w/ NE. It has nothing to do w/ him playing for us.  He is the best cover corner I have ever seen.

it's not being a homer to say Revis is an all time great, I said it when we traded him to TB, I said it when he signed w/ NE. It has nothing to do w/ him playing for us. He is the best cover corner I have ever seen.

'An' all time great? Yes.

You're saying he's better than Green who played 19 years and was still effective in his 40s. Revis has played what, 8 years?

we are always allowed to disagree.

that list means nothing to me. it is laughable that anyone would have Woodson at #1 and Lott only played about 4 seasons at CB, the rest of his career he was a safety.

it is funny that the photo on the first page was the 1994 NFC title game.  Irvin had 12 recs, 194 yds and 2 TDs in that game against Deion. Imagine that happenning to Revis? I don't think in 9 career playoff games he has allowed the men he has covered to gain 194 yds.

I agree Lott played most of his career at safety but he made All Pro as a rookie playing CB very few have done that..

'An' all time great? Yes.

You're saying he's better than Green who played 19 years and was still effective in his 40s. Revis has played what, 8 years?

better career? not yet since he hasn't played anywhere near as long but better player? absolutely 100% not even a doubt. 

I agree Lott played most of his career at safety but he made All Pro as a rookie playing CB very few have done that..

he did but how can you put a guy on an all time list when he played only 4 years at the position and was 1st team all pro just once in those 4 years?

@nyjunc

Look up d.green vs rice (the greatest wide out of all time), if you are looking for individual/1 on 1s. I dont know the stats, im just saying going back to your question about corners ablity to cover..

Revis never faced the likes of a Rice. And this part is nitpicking..Green never got embrassed the way Moss embrassed Revis w that one hand catch..properly termed "you got mossed" now.

Disclaimer: Revis did look better than Moss that game. Im just nitpicking..

I honestly think Revis couldn't cover a Moss in his prime though...just saying. Revis still a beast though.

@nyjunc

Look up d.green vs rice (the greatest wide out of all time), if you are looking for individual/1 on 1s. I dont know the stats, im just saying going back to your question about corners ablity to cover..

Revis never faced the likes of a Rice. And this part is nitpicking..Green never got embrassed the way Moss embrassed Revis w that one hand catch..properly termed "you got mossed" now.

I honestly think Revis couldn't cover a Moss in his prime though...just saying. Revis still a beast though.

For some weird reason Steve Johnson with the Bills gave Revis some problems..

At this exact moment I would put Green, both Woodson's, Deion, and Bailey ahead of Revis on the all time list. If Revis keeps up what he's done for a few more years then I'll consider him for GOAT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For some weird reason Steve Johnson with the Bills gave Revis some problems..

Johnson had the one big game against revis in 2011 where he had 8 recs for 75 yds and 1 TD.  that was an awful game for Revis and still only gave up 75 yds.

he did but how can you put a guy on an all time list when he played only 4 years at the position and was 1st team all pro just once in those 4 years?

Maybe many people put both cbs and safetys in the same DB category when they write their opinions.. 

@nyjunc

Randy Moss was on the level of Jerry Rice and Revis shut him down. Calvin Johnson was on a Rice level and Revis shut him down.

In their primes

Green vs. Rice:

1986: 12 recs, 204 yds

1988: 3-105-1 TD

1990: 6-74-1 TD

1990 playoffs: 6-68-1TD

1992 playoffs: 6-88

33 recs-539 yds, 3 TDs

prorate these #s over a 16 game season and Rice would have106 recs, 1725 yds, 10 TDs

pretty good season, right? in his carer he had 1 season w/ at least 106 recs and 1 season w/ at least 1725 yds.

This is all opinion, but you're coming off as a silly homer.

yep I am a homer.  the man that calls Joe Namath the most overrated player in the history of the game is a Jets homer.  the man that said these things about Revis when he was in TB and NE and every other Jet fan was bashing him calling him "Mevis".  I am nothing but a homer, never mind the greatness of a guy that has dominated the best WRs in this game in an era that heavily favors the passing game.  I am just a homer.

yep I am a homer.  the man that calls Joe Namath the most overrated player in the history of the game is a Jets homer.  the man that said these things about Revis when he was in TB and NE and every other Jet fan was bashing him calling him "Mevis".  I am nothing but a homer, never mind the greatness of a guy that has dominated the best WRs in this game in an era that heavily favors the passing game.  I am just a homer.

How old are you?? Most Revis homers are under 40..

Archived