Is Revis the Greatest of All Time?

Maxman

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep I am a homer. the man that calls Joe Namath the most overrated player in the history of the game is a Jets homer. the man that said these things about Revis when he was in TB and NE and every other Jet fan was bashing him calling him "Mevis". I am nothing but a homer, never mind the greatness of a guy that has dominated the best WRs in this game in an era that heavily favors the passing game. I am just a homer.

You're saying a guy, who happens to also be a Jet, who has played all of 8 seasons is the best all time at his position. That's insane.

I guess Crosby is the greatest center the NHL has ever seen.

Mike Trout? Better than Mantle, no comparison.

LeBron is better than Kareem, Magic, Wilt, Russell, MJ all combined (If you watch ESPN you may actually beleive this).

I will be 40 soon.  Revis is the best player in franchise history, no one has dominated their position like Revis has. 

Revis is the best CB in Jet history IMO and one of the best of all time. But since you never saw Namath play live or was old enough to see what he meant to the league I understand the overrated opinion.. :winking0001:

Revis is the best CB in Jet history IMO and one of the best of all time. But since you never saw Namath play live or was old enough to see what he meant to the league I understand the overrated opinion.. :winking0001:

I didn't see Babe Ruth play either.  I am a big history guy, I have read enough, talked to enough, seen enough to form an opinion.  His career was overrated, he only had a few big years thanks to injuries but durability counts.

You're saying a guy, who happens to also be a Jet, who has played all of 8 seasons is the best all time at his position. That's insane.

LeBron is better than Kareem, Magic, Wilt, Russell, MJ all combined (If you watch ESPN you may actually beleive this).

I did not say best career I said best cover corner.  If I am playing SF against Jerry Rice in his prime and I can choose any CB to cover him it's going to be Revis.  He has more big seasons to play to truly get in the discussion for best ever but I have never seen a better cover corner.

you can deflect w/ nonsense all you want.  show me a better cover corner?

I didn't see Babe Ruth play either.  I am a big history guy, I have read enough, talked to enough, seen enough to form an opinion.  His career was overrated, he only had a few big years thanks to injuries but durability counts.

When he came into the league most thought he would last maybe 3 years his knee's were so bad.. After Sonny Werblin got bought out the team went down hill.. But like I asked Raider fan were guys like Sayers and Swann overrated as well?? He said yes..

Randy Moss was on the level of Jerry Rice and Revis shut him down. Calvin Johnson was on a Rice level and Revis shut him down.

In their primes

Green vs. Rice:

1986: 12 recs, 204 yds

1988: 3-105-1 TD

1990: 6-74-1 TD

1990 playoffs: 6-68-1TD

1992 playoffs: 6-88

33 recs-539 yds, 3 TDs

prorate these #s over a 16 game season and Rice would have106 recs, 1725 yds, 10 TDs

pretty good season, right? in his carer he had 1 season w/ at least 106 recs and 1 season w/ at least 1725 yds.

Ok cool. Still revis gotta wait to see D

Green.

I know people scoff at some of the awards, but they matter in the discussion of best ever.  Revis needs at least one DPY to be in conversation for best CB ever.

No he doesn't.  He earned one in 2009 and was robbed.  can't hold that against him.

When he came into the league most thought he would last maybe 3 years his knee's were so bad.. After Sonny Werblin got bought out the team went down hill.. But like I asked Raider fan were guys like Sayers and Swann overrated as well?? He said yes..

durability counts.  Sayers played briefly but at a high level, had Joe retired after 1970 his career would be viewed differently but he played many more years and wasn't very good outside of a nice game here and there.

durability counts.  Sayers played briefly but at a high level, had Joe retired after 1970 his career would be viewed differently but he played many more years and wasn't very good outside of a nice game here and there.

Sonny Werblin left in 1969 like I said then the team started down hill.. The high level Sayers played at was just 2 seasons over 1,000 yds he also wasn't durable something that Martin had in spades.. Yes Martinette's I give credit when it's due..LOL

Sonny Werblin left in 1969 like I said then the team started down hill.. The high level Sayers played at was just 2 seasons over 1,000 yds he also wasn't durable something that Martin had in spades.. Yes Martinette's I give credit when it's due..LOL

Sayers played basically 5 close to full seasons and made 5 1st team all pro.

1965-1969 were his healthy years(5 seasons)

5 time 1st team all pro

led NFL in rushing twice

top 5 in rushing all 5 years

top 5 in rush TDs 4 times

top 3 in all purpose yds 3 all 5 seasons, led 3 times

he played at a high level the majority of his career

Sayers played basically 5 close to full seasons and made 5 1st team all pro.

1965-1969 were his healthy years(5 seasons)

5 time 1st team all pro

led NFL in rushing twice

top 5 in rushing all 5 years

top 5 in rush TDs 4 times

top 3 in all purpose yds 3 all 5 seasons, led 3 times

he played at a high level the majority of his career

He won rushing titles with years of 1233 and 1032 yds it was a good thing Jim Brown was retired..LOL That said I saw him play and he was a great player that absolutely is a HOF'er.. Plus I also loved the movie Brian's song.. My point was you can't always judge a player on stats alone..

He won rushing titles with years of 1233 and 1032 yds it was a good thing Jim Brown was retired..LOL That said I saw him play and he was a great player that absolutely is a HOF'er.. Plus I also loved the movie Brian's song.. My point was you can't always judge a player on stats alone..

you can only compare him against his peers.  he was not Jim Brown, no one can match Jim Brown.

I never judge on stats alone.  stats always tell part of the story, they help tell the story but there is much more to it than just out of context #s.

you can only compare him against his peers.  he was not Jim Brown, no one can match Jim Brown.

I never judge on stats alone.  stats always tell part of the story, they help tell the story but there is much more to it than just out of context #s.

It also helps when you were around and saw the player actually play... :winking0001:

I did not say best career I said best cover corner. If I am playing SF against Jerry Rice in his prime and I can choose any CB to cover him it's going to be Revis. He has more big seasons to play to truly get in the discussion for best ever but I have never seen a better cover corner.

you can deflect w/ nonsense all you want. show me a better cover corner?

I think a lot has to do with what you want from your CB covering Rice. If you want to Just shut Rice down and hope one of the other backs makes a play then Revis is your man. If you want a CB who cover just about as well as Revis AND can make a big play to turn the game around, then it's Sanders all the way. In one big game I'll take Sanders big play ability every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It also helps when you were around and saw the player actually play... :winking0001:

of course it helps to have seen players play but I think you can still have an informed opinion if you research enough.

I think a lot has to do with what you want from your CB covering Rice. If you want to Just shut Rice down and hope one of the other backs makes a play then Revis is your man. If you want a CB who cover just about as well as Revis AND can make a big play to turn the game around, then it's Sanders all the way. In one big game I'll take Sanders big play ability every time.

Sanders can make big plays but he will also give up more big plays.  Deion is the much better playmaker, w/ the ball in his hands he was a threat to score at any time.  Revis just prevents plays from happening.  There are a bunch of great ones and you can't go wrong w/ any but I'll take Darrelle.

of course it helps to have seen players play but I think you can still have an informed opinion if you research enough.

Sanders can make big plays but he will also give up more big plays. Deion is the much better playmaker, w/ the ball in his hands he was a threat to score at any time. Revis just prevents plays from happening. There are a bunch of great ones and you can't go wrong w/ any but I'll take Darrelle.

Ok, so if Revis gives up one big play per 100 passes his way then Sanders gave up two per hundred. I don't ever recall Sanders giving up a big play in a playoff/SB game. I do remember him making quite a few though.

Ok, so if Revis gives up one big play per 100 passes his way then Sanders gave up two per hundred. I don't ever recall Sanders giving up a big play in a playoff/SB game. I do remember him making quite a few though.

As someone mentioned in the 1994-95 playoffs Michael Irving had 12 catches for 192 yds and 2 tds vs the 49'ers that Sanders was on at the time.. I would assume Sanders was on Irving.. BTW the 49'ers won 38-28..

As someone mentioned in the 1994-95 playoffs Michael Irving had 12 catches for 192 yds and 2 tds vs the 49'ers that Sanders was on at the time.. I would assume Sanders was on Irving.. BTW the 49'ers won 38-28..

Not necessarily.

I don't know where exactly Deion played, but Sherman only plays on one side of the field. Was that the case for Deion too?

'An' all time great? Yes.

You're saying he's better than Green who played 19 years and was still effective in his 40s. Revis has played what, 8 years?

Green played longer up to now, Revis played better at his best.

'An' all time great? Yes.

You're saying he's better than Green who played 19 years and was still effective in his 40s. Revis has played what, 8 years?

Why do people have to bring in ridiculous comparisons to try and make their point? LeBron is better than Kareem, Magic, Wilt, Russell, MJ all combined? Who said this? How does this over the top compare to someone being compared to others.

Why do people have to bring in ridiculous comparisons to try and make their point? LeBron is better than Kareem, Magic, Wilt, Russell, MJ all combined? Who said this? How does this over the top compare to someone being compared to others.

The point is that people who live in the here and now love to ignore history. It's the ESPNification of American sports. And saying that a guy who has played 8 seasons is the best ever at anything is, and I don't mean to be mean here, asinine.

Next time you see some ridiculous stat all over Sportscenter and the like have a look at the qualifiers at the bottom of the screen.

'Since expansion era'

'Since 1984'

'Minimum 100 ABs'

Why? They put in all of these variables which in the end, if you're objective at all, totally take away from what they are trying to claim.

They make the current players seem better than the players in the past, many of whom are not even close, and then to blab about it incessantly later on. NBA and NFL sensationalized 'stats' are easily the most guilty of this due to the respective games not being close to what they used to (or were intended to) be.

The point is that people who live in the here and now love to ignore history. It's the ESPNification of American sports. And saying that a guy who has played 8 seasons is the best ever at anything is, and I don't mean to be mean here, asinine.

Next time you see some ridiculous stat all over Sportscenter and the like have a look at the qualifiers at the bottom of the screen.

'Since expansion era'

'Since 1984'

'Minimum 100 ABs'

Why? They put in all of these variables which in the end, if you're objective at all, totally take away from what they are trying to claim.

They make the current players seem better than the players in the past, many of whom are not even close, and then to blab about it incessantly later on. NBA and NFL sensationalized 'stats' are easily the most guilty of this due to the respective games not being close to what they used to (or were intended to) be.

ESPN tries,to make up qualifiers because it's hard to compare eras given how the rule changes have completely changed the game and b cause people know today more than yesterday. It's that with sports, music etc. always has and always will.

Doesn't take away from the fact that you can see talent and sometimes you don't need time to prove your point. Tiger Woods was the best or near the best from early on, we didn't need that much time to compare him to Jack. Same with Federer and Jordan.

ESPN tries,to make up qualifiers because it's hard to compare eras given how the rule changes have completely changed the game and b cause people know today more than yesterday. It's that with sports, music etc. always has and always will.

Doesn't take away from the fact that you can see talent and sometimes you don't need time to prove your point. Tiger Woods was the best or near the best from early on, we didn't need that much time to compare him to Jack. Same with Federer and Jordan.

Tiger Woods is actually an excellent example of why Revis can not be called the greatest CB ever yet. Tiger was completely anointed king well before he earned the honor. People just assumed he would get there. Now more than ever it looks like he won't do it, and it's fair to say Jack is gonna keep his crown. Bottom line is Revis has to show it for a few more years before this conversation is even relevant.

Tiger Woods is actually an excellent example of why Revis can not be called the greatest CB ever yet. Tiger was completely anointed king well before he earned the honor. People just assumed he would get there. Now more than ever it looks like he won't do it, and it's fair to say Jack is gonna keep his crown. Bottom line is Revis has to show it for a few more years before this conversation is even relevant.

The only reason Tiger isn't the greatest is because people didn't want a Tiger over Jack. Tiger won at a higher percentage, had lower average scores, dominated better fields than Jack and then people pointed to major titles as the true test. Except that if you look at every top ten list of golfers it's never a list of most majors, it's more than that except for Tiger. Just because injured have apparently stopped him doesn't mean he's not the best who ever played. He passes the eye test over a long enough period of time. Revis isn't a 4 year player. And isn't retired

Funny people had Federer as the best ever way before he passed Sampras for most majors. Tiger has different rules.

Actually golf is another example of the game being different. Check out Jack's clubs and equipment back then compared to Tiger's of today.

I hear this argument all the time. Doesn't hold water though. Jack played against a field that used the same equipment he did. Tiger plays the same bladed irons Jack did against a filed where many play cavity backs that add forgiveness. But the real point is

Jack played guys who had the same type of equipment and ball he did. Tiger plays against a field that plays the same type of equipment he does. Add in that no one liked Tiger destroying courses so they lengthened them attempting to Tigerproof courses. Nuts. So the advanced equipment doesn't give Tiger an advantage. Helps Tigers driving stats vs Jack but doesn't help against the field.

I hear this argument all the time. Doesn't hold water though. Jack played against a field that used the same equipment he did. Tiger plays the same bladed irons Jack did against a filed where many play cavity backs that add forgiveness. But the real point is

Jack played guys who had the same type of equipment and ball he did. Tiger plays against a field that plays the same type of equipment he does. Add in that no one liked Tiger destroying courses so they lengthened them attempting to Tigerproof courses. Nuts. So the advanced equipment doesn't give Tiger an advantage. Helps Tigers driving stats vs Jack but doesn't help against the field.

So the better equipment helped Tiger or it didn't? Make up your mind.

Archived