Green and White practice/scrimmage notes

JetsRay

I was at the stadium my observations...

- The fans booing a practice like that are just pathetic, Fitzpatrick also started off slow, fans forget this is day 10 of a new regime, new offense, new system. Day 10 of training camp, before the pre-season, really? Those fans are just an embarrassment.

- I think with players like Devin Smith and Owusu out, players that Geno has had as his #3 WR and emergency option when the pocket collapses, that can disrupt timing of a play. Geno had two bad plays, the near miss INT by Cro, and the sack strip fumble, but not sure how you blame a QB with a pocket collapsing like that and him staying strong in the pocket.

- Enumwa played a lot, and I thought looked pretty good. Was in as #3 WR a lot, rotated with Kerley, and played on the outside with the first team as well, he's making a push IMO.

- Top WR's on my depth chart. Marshall, Decker, Smith, Kerley, Owusu, Enumwa. Players like TJ Graham and Powell are right there, with the team needing a KO returner, and Graham and Powell getting the majority of the reps in ST's practice, it will be interesting to see what Bowels does to bottom out the roster at the position.

- Austin Hill had a nice practice. With some ofthe players out with injuries, players like Hill are getting a chance, I thought he shined a bit. Rumph, despite his size, was awful, dropping pass after pass.

- 7 on 7's fun to watch, speed in the back 7 on defense is so much improved, it's apparent during these drills. Offensive talent has improved as well, but Geno had a nice session that nobody is talking about. I thought Powell, Hill, and Graham stood out for me in these drills.

- Bryce Petty I thought looked impressive, he stood out in 7 on 7's and full team drills, he looks the part, really does. You can see his decision making is slow right now, but he's got some impressive tools, his size, footwork, mechanics, throws a real nice ball, good fundamentals. He's going against 3rd team defense, but Ithought he stood out.

- Geno after a slow start on the first two drives of team drills, settled in and finished strong. The Marshall TD was obviously impressive, well thrown ball. He had another 18 yd'r to Decker in traffic that was nice, a quick 7 step drop and a quick decision on the throw.

- With Evans, Owosu, Smith out, I was disappointed that I didn't see Posey out there, Ithought he returned the other day, I didn't see him out there last night. Not sure when Graham and Powell went out, it seemed like they were out there most of the night. Don't think it's anything long term. Shaq Evans needs to get back on the field, Enumwa is moving up.

- Rontez Milez is an imposing looking player, Ithought it was interesting he played some centerfield, he can move, not sure how much of a drop off from Allen we will have if Milez continues to play like he looked yesterday. He seemed veryconfident in his role next to Jarrett, he always seems to be inthe right place.

- This secondary is so much more improved. I didn't focus on individuals, other than Revis obviously, so goodto see him back, but the group overall looks so much better. The range in at CB and S is night and day compared to last year, Ithink it's impressive Geno is having as good a camp as he is with this secondary. Milliner was having a good camp according to a closer by who has been to some of the practices. I think Pryorand Gilchrist are going to be a nice tandem at S. Eskeridge stood out for me, he's big, has good speed, nice range, good fundamentals. I made it a point to watch the secondary during a lot ofdrills with Allen out, and I though he looked pretty good.

- I didn't get a big look at the DL, practiced too far away from me, but I found some of the drills Pepper Johnson was running pretty interesting, so did the fans by that section of the field. He runs a fetch drill where he rolls the ball almost like a bowling ball about 20-30 yds, the DL runs and chases the ball and brings it back, really shows the athleticism of the player and is probably a conditioning drill if anything else. He also ran what looked like a 1 on 1 drill, (sort of a WR vs CB) where each DL played the role, and the coach throws a pop-up while a the WR tries to catch it, and the DB defends it. Richardson and Williams shined in this drill with their athleticism.

- Mo Wilkerson looks close, he was moving around pretty well not being in practice.

- Marshall is going to be absolutely huge for this offense, man he is impressive up close

- Decker looks great.

- Enjoyed watching the LB's work, didn't get an extended look, I hope to next week at camp. Henderson looks to be the #3 MLB, and then Jones, although Lattimore looked pretty solid out there with the 2nd and 3rd team, has good range. Mauldin, and Reilly looked real good. Reilly stood out on several players at OLB, he's making a jump. Howesare, #59 is another player to keep an eye on , I thought I saw him getting 2nd team reps, that LB position battle is going to be a good one, will be interesting to see how it plays out.

- Is it Howesare getting FB reps wearing the #43 white pinny? I couldn't tell, because I swore I saw Howesare also getting work at LB still.

- Long ST's practice to start the night, April is fun to watch, a lot of teaching

- Folk was hitting 50+ in team drills and in warmups I thought he went 1 for 2 on 60 yd's before the team came out.

- Schum has a leg, but Quigley clearly looks ahead of him, he had several nice punts during team drills, I didn't see Schum get any

- Amaro played some with the 3rdteam, but he was also in with starters, with 5 TE's in camp, and Gailey running a lot of double TE, there is only so much depth. Amaro looks real good, he should make a jump this year. Saxtonlooked the part, but I didn't get a close look at the group. I did think Kellen Davis looked pretty good in 7 on 7's, he can move better than I thought he could.

- OL, Colon and Winters splitting reps at RG. Aboushi was working with 3rd team, Dozier and Winters are clearly ahead of Aboushi, found that surprising. I also think Harrison got some work with 2nd team, but was mostly with 3rd team. I don't remember the rotation at OT, Ijalana to melooks to be the #3. That position, is also going to be an interesting battle, I thought 2nd team and 3rd team looked solid as agroup. Will focus more on OL hopefully next time I go out.

- The player introductions were a bit over the top, and they completely bombed announcing the WR's, Marshal didn't get his name called, and they should have, he's clearly one of the top players on the team.

- It seems the Jets front office and the stadium crew worked on their game-day features for last night's scrimmage,something new this year will be selected season ticket holders who will march out on the field before the game and present big Jets flags on the field as the team gets announced I guess, looked pretty cool, I'm sure it is a neat experience for the fans tobe on the field.

Side note:

- The rule change this year to the 25 yd for PAT, and I think the goalposts are more narrow this year, this is not getting a lot of attention yet, but I thought these changes stood out looking out at the stadium last night, I think it's going to have a bigger effect than people think this year. 

good  write up.  Thank you.  Really helps those of us who could not attend.

Regarding width between uprights: If the distance between the uprights was narrowed, wouldn't that have been announced?  That would affect every single FG/PAT and would be a big deal to the NFL Kickers.  I doubt it has changed quietly.  At least I haven't read anything about it.   Curious now.

Great write-up Ray. This is KRL-like!

Don't forget about shaq evans at WR also. He has looked good in camp, hope he gets healthy quick so we can see him in action. Owusu concussion issues are troublesome, he had some in college and some teams took him off their draft board due to his concussion history, 

I was at the stadium my observations...

- The fans booing a practice like that are just pathetic, Fitzpatrick also started off slow, fans forget this is day 10 of a new regime, new offense, new system. Day 10 of training camp, before the pre-season, really? Those fans are just an embarrassment.

I agree they are pathetic. 

Great post and observations thanks. 

Great write up Ray, I agree about how pathetic it is that fans are booing at this stage of training camp.  Hey it is what it is, idiots will be idiots.    I think Enunwa is definitely making a move up the depth chart especially with Owusu and Shaq out (I wonder if either of them will be available for next weeks preseason game...) and also the fact that Posey wasn't out there.  In fact, just what is up with him; He may find himself on the outside looking in if he doesn't get on the field soon.  

Good to read about Mauldin.    I have really high hopes for him and believe he is going to develop into meaner, more aggressive, Mo Lewis for us.  He, IK and Reilly are going to really push the "veterans" for playing time and even roster space.  Howsare and perhaps Dion Barnes, should at least make the PS  Some pretty decent players/prospects are going to be getting cut from this group.  When is the last time we could say that?  

I read that Daryl Richardson also flashed on several occasions; I really hope we find a way to keep this dude.  We need his speed out of the backfield.

Our secondary took two hits with Allen and Milliner but I really like the depth this team has.  Rontez Myles, and Marcus Williams are going step right up and I really don't think we will skip a beat.  Walls, MacDougle are also right there.   Hopefully Milliner will be back by our 2nd or 3rd game, certainly for the game after the bye week.    Mac has really put together a talented squad.  

Bowles and his staff are of course under scrutiny now, and I like what I am reading and seeing so far in how they are mixing and matching 1st teamers with 2nd and 3rd teamers.    They are really creating a competitive environment and hopefully bringing out the best of each player.  Can't wait to see this team in real "live" action.   

Once again thanks for sharing your observations. 

good  write up.  Thank you.  Really helps those of us who could not attend.

Regarding width between uprights: If the distance between the uprights was narrowed, wouldn't that have been announced?  That would affect every single FG/PAT and would be a big deal to the NFL Kickers.  I doubt it has changed quietly.  At least I haven't read anything about it.   Curious now.

You're probably right, it just seemed more narrow to me...

Great write up Ray, I agree about how pathetic it is that fans are booing at this stage of training camp.  Hey it is what it is, idiots will be idiots.    I think Enunwa is definitely making a move up the depth chart especially with Owusu and Shaq out (I wonder if either of them will be available for next weeks preseason game...) and also the fact that Posey wasn't out there.  In fact, just what is up with him; He may find himself on the outside looking in if he doesn't get on the field soon.  

Good to read about Mauldin.    I have really high hopes for him and believe he is going to develop into meaner, more aggressive, Mo Lewis for us.  He, IK and Reilly are going to really push the "veterans" for playing time and even roster space.  Howsare and perhaps Dion Barnes, should at least make the PS  Some pretty decent players/prospects are going to be getting cut from this group.  When is the last time we could say that?  

I read that Daryl Richardson also flashed on several occasions; I really hope we find a way to keep this dude.  We need his speed out of the backfield.

Our secondary took two hits with Allen and Milliner but I really like the depth this team has.  Rontez Myles, and Marcus Williams are going step right up and I really don't think we will skip a beat.  Walls, MacDougle are also right there.   Hopefully Milliner will be back by our 2nd or 3rd game, certainly for the game after the bye week.    Mac has really put together a talented squad.  

Bowles and his staff are of course under scrutiny now, and I like what I am reading and seeing so far in how they are mixing and matching 1st teamers with 2nd and 3rd teamers.    They are really creating a competitive environment and hopefully bringing out the best of each player.  Can't wait to see this team in real "live" action.   

Once again thanks for sharing your observations. 

Ivory didn't get a lot of work in team drills, probably by choice, he's clearly our #1 RB

Powell had a nice run, looks faster this year, from what I remember, he looks to be in the thick of the RB position battle.

Stacy is a bowling ball, he's a beast himself, I think the final spot is between Ridley, Stacy, and Richardson for the final spot, it will be an interesting battle to watch depending on when Ridley gets back on the field, from all reports, he's close.

I can see why Richardson is getting a lot of press, very good pass receiver, and fast, has the most agility of our RB's, I can see him making the team.

If the Jets keep 4 Rb's, I see the final battle between Stacy and Ridley since they are redundant in terms of their ability, Ridley is a better pass catcher.  But Stacy is a brusier, the Rb position is another training camp battle that will be fun to watch, a good player is going to be cut.

Howsare and perhaps Dion Barnes, should at least make the PS  Some pretty decent players/prospects are going to be getting cut from this group.  When is the last time we could say that?  

I think you have combined TJ Barnes and 7th round Deon Simon into 1 superhuman specimen. Combine Barnes size @ 6-7/364 lbs. and Simons strength (35 reps) and you a Monster in the middle.

Great write-up Ray. This is KRL-like!

Don't forget about shaq evans at WR also. He has looked good in camp, hope he gets healthy quick so we can see him in action. Owusu concussion issues are troublesome, he had some in college and some teams took him off their draft board due to his concussion history, 

I was hoping to see Evans last night, will be anxious to see him against Detroit, he's got to get back fast, he and Enumwa appear to be in a tight battle.

Thanks for the write- up. Yes we have a nice problem at several positions on the roster-

That guard position worries me though still right now. I do not want to see Colon- want one of the others step up

I think you have combined TJ Barnes and 7th round Deon Simon into 1 superhuman specimen. Combine Barnes size @ 6-7/364 lbs. and Simons strength (35 reps) and you a Monster in the middle.

Nope, I meant Dion Barnes. I misspelled his first name.  He is a UDFA OLB/DE.  I think Deon Simon makes the PS.  TJ Barnes will be part of the DL rotation.  The team really has some very nice depth at multiple positions for the first time in like forever. 

I appreciate that a select few take the time to attend practices and share their thoughts. Some on a regular basis.

HOWEVER, there is rarely anything negative written by any of them. How is that possible? Just once, I'd like to read that a guy looked terrible and doesn't belong on the field. C'mon guys? The Jets do not have the best and deepest roster in NFL history....

I appreciate that a select few take the time to attend practices and share their thoughts. Some on a regular basis.

HOWEVER, there is rarely anything negative written by any of them. How is that possible? Just once, I'd like to read that a guy looked terrible and doesn't belong on the field. C'mon guys? The Jets do not have the best and deepest roster in NFL history....

It's funny the two things I felt watching last night hits this point quite well.  Everyone is expecting Geno to suck and the defense to be elite.  It would not surprise me at all if the offense is a lot better than we expect and the defense is worse.  I think we'll know more by the Giants game but I want to see the second coming of the 85 Bears in real action against a top tier offense pre-season or otherwise.  I realize the installation of the playbook is still early and there was no Mo last night, but it looked to me like the DL got pushed around a little bit on a number of plays.  I also saw both QB's read and react to the basic blitzes they threw at them with quick plays for big gains.  I'd assume top tier QB's like Brady, Manning, etc. could do the same.  The biggest change I saw to the offense was the level of aggression. The WR's are running some deeper routes and they are letting Geno and Fitz throw down the field.  It's a nice change from the Rex "afraid to lose" shackles we've dealt with the past few years.  

I agree with alot of Ray's comments.  There was nothing you could say negative about Marshall and Decker.  Reilly looked very good, too.  If you want to get into 3rd team WR's like Rumph to find negatives you can.  I also thought McDougal looked shaky in coverage. Can't tell with Cro if he's taking it easy or if this is who he is now, but he will get picked on routinely in cover zero.  Just my two cents... 

I realize the installation of the playbook is still early and there was no Mo last night, but it looked to me like the DL got pushed around a little bit on a number of plays. If you want to get into 3rd team WR's like Rumph to find negatives you can. I also thought McDougal looked shaky in coverage. Can't tell with Cro if he's taking it easy or if this is who he is now, but he will get picked on routinely in cover zero. Just my two cents...

Thank you! Adding some realism to the everything is rosy reports.

Also, what did you see from Pryor? I have not read a single word about him yet from fans or beat writers. Neither positive nor negative. Can I assume that means he is as bad as I think he is?

Ivory didn't get a lot of work in team drills, probably by choice, he's clearly our #1 RB

Powell had a nice run, looks faster this year, from what I remember, he looks to be in the thick of the RB position battle.

Stacy is a bowling ball, he's a beast himself, I think the final spot is between Ridley, Stacy, and Richardson for the final spot, it will be an interesting battle to watch depending on when Ridley gets back on the field, from all reports, he's close.

I can see why Richardson is getting a lot of press, very good pass receiver, and fast, has the most agility of our RB's, I can see him making the team.

If the Jets keep 4 Rb's, I see the final battle between Stacy and Ridley since they are redundant in terms of their ability, Ridley is a better pass catcher.  But Stacy is a brusier, the Rb position is another training camp battle that will be fun to watch, a good player is going to be cut.

Where Powell is concerned it might also have something to do with the play design.

It's funny the two things I felt watching last night hits this point quite well.  Everyone is expecting Geno to suck and the defense to be elite.  It would not surprise me at all if the offense is a lot better than we expect and the defense is worse.  I think we'll know more by the Giants game but I want to see the second coming of the 85 Bears in real action against a top tier offense pre-season or otherwise.  I realize the installation of the playbook is still early and there was no Mo last night, but it looked to me like the DL got pushed around a little bit on a number of plays.  I also saw both QB's read and react to the basic blitzes they threw at them with quick plays for big gains.  I'd assume top tier QB's like Brady, Manning, etc. could do the same.  The biggest change I saw to the offense was the level of aggression. The WR's are running some deeper routes and they are letting Geno and Fitz throw down the field.  It's a nice change from the Rex "afraid to lose" shackles we've dealt with the past few years.  

I agree with alot of Ray's comments.  There was nothing you could say negative about Marshall and Decker.  Reilly looked very good, too.  If you want to get into 3rd team WR's like Rumph to find negatives you can.  I also thought McDougal looked shaky in coverage. Can't tell with Cro if he's taking it easy or if this is who he is now, but he will get picked on routinely in cover zero.  Just my two cents... 

I suspect we may give up a few more yards than a Rex defense, but be better at the things that matter like red zone, 3rd downs and especially generating turnovers

Those pepper Johnson drills weren't drills. That was during specials, the rest of the positional groupings were just standing around. Fun way to keep the blood flowing.

Sheldon and L. Williams reall stood out in the one on one pass route thing. Sheldon could play multiple positions in the NFL

Thank you! Adding some realism to the everything is rosy reports.

Also, what did you see from Pryor? I have not read a single word about him yet from fans or beat writers. Neither positive nor negative. Can I assume that means he is as bad as I think he is?

The report wasn't just rosy fluff, you are just a SOJF and you need something negative to crow about, that's the problem with SOJF's, they need negative banter.

They were observations, I mentioned the drops, the timing issues, I talked about players that stood out, the players that seemed to be ahead of others, my post was hardly a fluff piece.

Why would you assume Pryor is bad, and why do you want any camp updates about him, you aren't going to look at him any other way other than your agenda anyway since you already assume he stinks..

:roll:

The report wasn't just rosy fluff, you are just a SOJF and you need something negative to crow about, that's the problem with SOJF's, they need negative banter.

They were observations, I mentioned the drops, the timing issues, I talked about players that stood out, the players that seemed to be ahead of others, my post was hardly a fluff piece.

Why would you assume Pryor is bad, and why do you want any camp updates about him, you aren't going to look at him any other way other than your agenda anyway since you already assume he stinks..

:roll:

You're post was objective and well written. I didn't take RoadFan's comments as overly negative.  To be fair, most of the beat writers have been pretty rosy about everything and I just think he was looking to see if things are getting a bit too Kumbaya...

FWIW, I honestly didn't see Pryor standing out one way or the other last night.  He recovered the Geno strip sack but I suspect it was Pace that did most of the work on that particular play.   I don't remember whether he was on the field when Walter Powell caught a 4 yd pass and ran 70+ yds up the middle with it or when Bilal Powell ran right thru the defense for a 30+ yd TD.  I assume the safeties on those plays got caught out of position.

You're post was objective and well written. I didn't take RoadFan's comments as overly negative.  To be fair, most of the beat writers have been pretty rosy about everything and I just think he was looking to see if things are getting a bit too Kumbaya...

FWIW, I honestly didn't see Pryor standing out one way or the other last night.  He recovered the Geno strip sack but I suspect it was Pace that did most of the work on that particular play.   I don't remember whether he was on the field when Walter Powell caught a 4 yd pass and ran 70+ yds up the middle with it or when Bilal Powell ran right thru the defense for a 30+ yd TD.  I assume the safeties on those plays got caught out of position.

:shake:

might not blame geno for the sack but the fumble is definitely on him and its been an ongoing problem that he needs to correct

He said it was because qbs aren't suppose to be hit in practice . If this was a real game he would of took off running.

How bad was Geno booed? Judging by the 20 year old twitter beat writers aka the booing police he was booed off the field.

It wasn't bad at all. There were like 12,000 there, a small percentage booed, so like a thousand, if that. A thousand people booing will sound like a lot.

I could be wrong, but it didn't feel like that many. And it definitely wasn't some cacophony.

It wasn't bad at all. There were like 12,000 there, a small percentage booed, so like a thousand, if that. A thousand people booing will sound like a lot.

I could be wrong, but it didn't feel like that many. And it definitely wasn't some cacophony.

Thanks, figured as much.

Archived