Green and White practice/scrimmage notes

JetsRay

Ivory didn't get a lot of work in team drills, probably by choice, he's clearly our #1 RB

Powell had a nice run, looks faster this year, from what I remember, he looks to be in the thick of the RB position battle.

Stacy is a bowling ball, he's a beast himself, I think the final spot is between Ridley, Stacy, and Richardson for the final spot, it will be an interesting battle to watch depending on when Ridley gets back on the field, from all reports, he's close.

I can see why Richardson is getting a lot of press, very good pass receiver, and fast, has the most agility of our RB's, I can see him making the team.

If the Jets keep 4 Rb's, I see the final battle between Stacy and Ridley since they are redundant in terms of their ability, Ridley is a better pass catcher.  But Stacy is a brusier, the Rb position is another training camp battle that will be fun to watch, a good player is going to be cut.

Thanks RR, wish I was there like the old days.

I appreciate that a select few take the time to attend practices and share their thoughts. Some on a regular basis.

HOWEVER, there is rarely anything negative written by any of them. How is that possible? Just once, I'd like to read that a guy looked terrible and doesn't belong on the field. C'mon guys? The Jets do not have the best and deepest roster in NFL history....

If we're talking about the players that stood out then you can safely assume the one's that weren't mentioned did not stand out.

I do think we have close to the best, deepest roster in the league if only because we had extra cap space, and don't spend money on a QB, or any DL.

Only weakness' I see are RG, and QB. We have blue chips at WR, C, CB, and DE. Red chips at #2WR, #2,3 CB, LT, DT. The rest are solid starters, and we now have many backups that would be considered solid starters, and mix in a lot of potential at S, RB, TE, WR#3,4  

Obviously the big problem is that this roster will most likely be wasted with no QB to speak of, but if Geno really metamorphosed, or Fitz can bring some Rich Gannon type magic to a good team we might have something.

That's what I'm going to hope for anyway.

Agreed with OBrien2Toon, that Pepper Johnson thing wasn't a drill, it was just something to keep them warm and keep the crowd interested.  The kind of thing that is just for fun and everybody loves it until somebody gets hurt and then it's #****ingrex.  For the record, I am fine with it.  They are football players, they should be able to run around a little without needing to visit the emergency room.  I am against bubble wrap.  Snacks is the one that had the play of the D line one on ones though, he even did a little celebrating and bunch of posturing to the crowd. 

The Dline fumble drill was pretty standard stuff to kill time and make the fat guys run.  The only thing I noticed from it was that for the vets he rolled the ball maybe 5 yards, but for all rookies he winged them as far as he could.  Williams was chasing some out to the 40. 

Rumph was the only guy that had an obviously poor day, but for a guy like that to get his name called that much is kind of an accomplishment.  Enunwa looked very good.  Both Powells had big plays.  Hakim made some plays in the 7 on 7s, which is key because he is noticeably faster than anybody out there.  Ivory had a real nice catch.  It seemed they threw more to Ivory and Stacy than Richardson and Powell who are the guys you'd expect to catch it out of the backfield.  Petty throws a nice ball and looked as expected.  He held onto the ball ridiculously long, but he had one nice run.  Looks the part, but some time away.

The booing seemed kind of lame to me.  They missed a few passes - at least one where the WR and Geno had different reads, and he bounced a couple.  I don't care much if people boo, I just kept looking around to see what I was missing because they were just generic bad plays.  I was in the endzone by the entrance and most of my section gave steady boos on any negative plays, but it was kind of lethargic, like their hearts weren't in it.  Training camp booing.  I don't understand allowing strip fumbles.  If I were the coach I would be more worried about the QBs breaking a finger or having their shoulders tweaked getting caught up than I would be actually having them hit. OTOH, Geno better take care of the ball better in that situation.  He should have been doing pushups.

Folk looked pretty damn good.  Marshall looks like he will be a nice security blanket.  Geno throws a nice ball when he knows where he is going and doesn't have to change his read and Marshall is the perfect guy to force the ball. Was Evans even there?  Didn't notice him.  Enunwa had the best night  of the WRs battling for a spot, but they will probably have to keep one out of Graham, Powell and Hakim for specials.  Maybe Owusu can fill those roles instead.

I don't think you can get any feel for the running game from this kind of thing.  You can just compare player to player.  Cromartie was right.  He was the 2nd best WR on that team.  Maybe the best.  He has great hands.  He was one-handing everything and making it look easy. If Milliner could stay on the field I'd mix in some O and returns for Cro.

If the Jets keep 4 Rb's, I see the final battle between Stacy and Ridley since they are redundant in terms of their ability, Ridley is a better pass catcher.  But Stacy is a brusier, the Rb position is another training camp battle that will be fun to watch, a good player is going to be cut.

This myth needs to stop. He has 23 career catches for 146 yards over 4 years. Stacy had 26 in one season.  Please help me contain the spread of these lies!

Archived