Geno Smith Punched by IK, out 6-10 weeks. All discussion here (MERGED)

This has never happened before. I'm gonna go with my gut and say Geno wasn't innocently standing by his locker when he got punched out of nowhere. Bowles even said the were BOTH arguing. Leaders dont get dragged into stuff like that.

Like Travis Johnson said his Olinemen should be ashamed . If he would even thought out punching the QB. The entire Oline would kick his ass

Doesn't mean you're allowed to look at pure W's and L's in a vacuum as evidence for why a QB is good or bad.  Very few QB's have played with defenses as consistently good as Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith got to play with from 2009-2014.  On the other side of the coin, the FIRST defense Fitz has been paired with that was any good were the 2014 Texans.  By and large Fitz has done his job well in this league, putting up 20+ points in games many times (I believe somewhere north of 80 times in his career) yet his defenses have failed him time and again.  Meanwhile guys like Sanchez and Geno have had great defenses yet still found ways to f*ck up.

our Ds the last 2 years have NOT been good.

we had very good Ds early in Sanchez's career but those Ds also blew a ton of late leads and weren't nearly as good as jet fans remember.  you still need quality QB play and mark gave us that.

Fitz has been on some decent teams w/ some talent and has not been able to get the job done.  sure he has put up some decent individual #s but he struggles making plays to win games.

how did Mark F it up? he helped us reach 2 title games and the D blew both of them.  he then had all the talent around him stripped away and was expected to get better. 

the Bills were very talented, they got off t a great start in 2011, he got a new contract then we crushed him and he folded.

he's a #s guy, a guy like a Kyle orton type.  will put up decent enough #s to make fans want him but the reality is he isn't very good.  throwing a Td in garbage time doesn't impress me.

Fitz, like orton and a Matt Moore, is a good backup nothing more. 

Fitzpatrick = Good NFL backup

Geno = CFL.

Don't need to think hard to determine which is better.

• Upvote 2

Kind of funny that the same fans who asked for a lot of blind hope for Geno are totally comfortable with ignoring actual numbers that suggest Fitz might have a good year.  Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker and Jace Amaro are going to like having him as their QB, just watch.

What numbers are those exactly?  You do realize Fitz had a 6 TD game last year.  Outside of that he's basically been suck, much like his entire career.  Problem is you people look at numbers an suddenly think Fitz had his breakout year last year.  So breakout that HOU had no issues dropping him, because THEIR QB situation looks so bright right now!

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Might? No he wont. We have a large enough sample size to know exactly what he is. Not saying Geno is any better, but regardless its time to drink.

Let's pretend for the moment that we have a shut-down defense again.

And let's pretend for the moment that we have a powerful running game again.

Basically, let's pretend we are the 2010 Jets.

If a savvy veteran like Ryan Fitzpatrick were leading the 2010 Jets instead of a raw Mark Sanchez, might we have had more success in the regular and post-season?  I mean, that's what some were screaming for in 2012 and 2013.  So now we have it and now we can see what it might produce. 

Have a crushing defense, have a ball-control running game, dramatically reduce QB turnovers, smells like teen spirit to me.

SAR I

Opinions are a funny thing arent they? Your own always seem well reasoned.

I don't really understand what you aren't grasping here. Geno was outplaying Fitzpatrick in camp. That's not an opinion. That's a fact. The development of OLBs and DTs is completely different from a Quarterbacks. Another fact. If you can't wrap your head around that you probably shouldn't watch the sport because it might be too complex for you.

I don't care who Bit is friends with here or was friends with at JI. He's a garbage armchair scout and for him to sh*t on Geno and anyone else's feelings on the day we just lost the best QB on our roster when our season was looking so damn promising is downright laughable given his history.

• Upvote 1

Fitz has been on some decent teams w/ some talent and has not been able to get the job done. 

No, he has not.  The Titans were f*ckin terrible.  The Bills outside of some nice moments were terrible too.  You underestimate just how lucky our QB's have been to put in the situations they are.  While teams around the NFL routinely allow 20+ points a game and it becomes a normal reality, with QB's setting records left and right, our defenses have at least kept teams in check, if not been straight up dominant.  Just because our D's in '13 and 14 weren't on the level of '09 and '10 doesn't mean they were bad defenses.  The Titans were among the worst in the NFL and the Bills weren't far off until Schwartz came along.

What numbers are those exactly?  You do realize Fitz had a 6 TD game last year.  Outside of that he's basically been suck, much like his entire career.  Problem is you people look at numbers an suddenly think Fitz had his breakout year last year.  So breakout that HOU had no issues dropping him, because THEIR QB situation looks so bright right now!

They cut Fitz because he had a broken leg and they wanted to go younger at the position.  And we'd literally sh*t ourselves if we ever had a QB with a 6-TD game. 

I don't really understand what you aren't grasping here. Geno was outplaying Fitzpatrick in camp. That's not an opinion. That's a fact. The development of OLBs and DTs is completely different from a Quarterbacks. Another fact. If you can't wrap your head around that you probably shouldn't watch the sport because it might be too complex for you.

I don't care who Bit is friends with here or was friends with at JI. He's a garbage armchair scout and for him to sh*t on Geno and anyone else's feelings on the day we just lost the best QB on our roster when our season was looking so damn promising is downright laughable given his history.

Pump the breaks it is a discussion no one is personally attacking you

I don't know why ppl keep saying this. Screw this kid, no one for no reason should punch the QB or any other teammate. Good riddance

Thank you

The fact that some fans think it is a ok with hitting a teammate with a sucker punch and potentially ending his career tells you all you need to know about some of us in this fan base!!

• Upvote 2

If a savvy veteran like Ryan Fitzpatrick were leading the 2010 Jets instead of a raw Mark Sanchez, might we have had more success in the regular and post-season? I mean, that's what some were screaming for in 2012 and 2013. So now we have it and now we can see what it might produce.

Have a crushing defense, have a ball-control running game, dramatically reduce QB turnovers, smells like teen spirit to me.

SAR I

Except that small fact that Fitzpatrick does not know how to reduce turnovers? Game Manager was never his title.

Camp isn't the regular season, and camp comments mean very very little to me.

But I'm happy to say I think they're all wrong, that Fitz is/was the superior option at QB regardless of what his teammates or the staff believe.

Everything about Geno was projection, what people "think" he "could" be if only X, Y or Z happened.

Whats real is what Geno was in 2013 and 2014.  The worst QB in the NFL hands down.

I refuse to lament woulda, coulda, shoulda.  I would not wish him hurt, nor anyone hurt, thats utterly classless (with the personal exception of Mike Vick).

But now that his mouth apparently wrote a check his egg-jaw couldn't cash, I'm going to be excited that the QB I think is better will get to play.

Could I be dead wrong?  Ab-so-LUTE-ly I could be.  I backed Patrick Ramsey once too.  I've been wrong before, clearly.

But frankly, so have all the "wait, this will be his year, just you see" guys who said all the same things about Sanchez, and before him, Pennington (post-injury).

It's all opinion till they players prove it, or not. 

LOl, yeah I kinda remember that.  Hey I am rooting like hell for Fitzpatrick and I really think he will do well for us. I am a little concerned about his "lack of arm strength" compared to Geno, especially when playing in MetLife but overall I think he will be okay in that regard.    

No, he has not. The Titans were f*ckin terrible. The Bills outside of some nice moments were terrible too. You underestimate just how lucky our QB's have been to put in the situations they are. While teams around the NFL routinely allow 20+ points a game and it becomes a normal reality, with QB's setting records left and right, our defenses have at least kept teams in check, if not been straight up dominant. Just because our D's in '13 and 14 weren't on the level of '09 and '10 doesn't mean they were bad defenses. The Titans were among the worst in the NFL and the Bills weren't far off until Schwartz came along.

Didn't one of his bills teams start like 6-0 and still missed the playoffs ?

And Fitzpatrick has led how many teams in playoffs in his career ? This must be a joke Sar can't be serious

If he can manage the offense, let the running game do its job, occasionally hit a bit completion to our talented WR's, then we basically are the 2010 Jets with a turnover-free QB which would have been a 13-3 season and a first round bye.

SAR I

If a savvy veteran like Ryan Fitzpatrick were leading the 2010 Jets instead of a raw Mark Sanchez, might we have had more success in the regular and post-season?  I mean, that's what some were screaming for in 2012 and 2013.  So now we have it and now we can see what it might produce. 

SAR I

You do have a point there... 

our Ds the last 2 years have NOT been good.

we had very good Ds early in Sanchez's career but those Ds also blew a ton of late leads and weren't nearly as good as jet fans remember.  you still need quality QB play and mark gave us that.

Fitz has been on some decent teams w/ some talent and has not been able to get the job done.  sure he has put up some decent individual #s but he struggles making plays to win games.

how did Mark F it up? he helped us reach 2 title games and the D blew both of them.  he then had all the talent around him stripped away and was expected to get better. 

lol....are you trying to say mark sanchez was good? oh god please i hope i'm just not comprehending your point

Fitz=good backup

Geno=the jury is still out

His own teammate just punched him in the jaw, and it seems his teammates didn't defend him until the punch was thrown.  He misses meetings and pouts on the sidelines.  He turns the ball over like its his job.  The jury has come back and agrees with me that a good backup QB is the better choice for this team, this year.  In 2016 we reevaluate our QB situation.

never should have gotten rid of mark, all he needed was talent around him.  mark on this team and we'd be a SB contender.

Phone calls may be happening down I-95 as we speak, you never know.  Woody Johnson was a big Mark Sanchez fan.

SAR I