Geno Smith Punched by IK, out 6-10 weeks. All discussion here (MERGED)

I have yet to hear of a starting qb in the NFL getting punched in the face by a teammate. Considering all the other controversy Geno's been in, dick picks, cursing fans, missing meetings, and getting thrown off a plane something tells me the kids a moron who doesn't know how to get out of his own way. The reason why Geno gets punched in the face and not Revis is because Revis is well liked on the team and knows how to stay out of trouble. Geno doesn't.

So how come Santonio or Sheldon didn't get punched in the face. And if they had and were lost for 6 games would you be arguing with the same justifications.

As the details come out there's no excuse for what Enemkpali did and he got what

he deserved.  But in reality this situation is all Smith's fault and it really makes me

question if he can win back the job and the locker room:

- As the starting QB you're supposed to be a leader.  Therefore own up to your

debt and pay it, don't let it fester where it develops into what happened

- It seems the rest of the team knew about this, how can you look the rest of

them in the eye and say follow me???  If you can't be faithful in a small thing

($600) how can you be faithful in a large thing (leading a franchise)

I do love the way Bowles expressed his anger with Smith and wouldn't promise

that he would get his job back

• Upvote 4

Wow this just gets better and better. Enter camp loving the guy and swaying public opinion to love the guy that will eventually have no future with the team because they know they already have the secret weapon and better player in Ryan Fitzpatrick. NFL GM 101 right there folks.

Oh boy, I retract my earlier resignation, looks like I won the argument after all.

Coach Bowles on whether Geno Smith would get his job back upon returning healthy:

"That's a conversation we have to have when he comes back. If anybody's playing great, you lose your spot by injury, you lose your spot by a bunch of things, so if he's playing great and the ship is going the right way, you don't make a move. But we'll see as we go.  If the other guy's playing well, and the boat's going right, and there are no waves, and everything's going, and we're 4, 5, 6, 7-0? Yeah, you're not coming back to start."

Boom goes the dynamite.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

according to NBC - Pro Football Weekly, the fight was over money. Geno was the one who borrowed it.

UPDATE: according to nfl.com this actually dealt with a 600 dollar bill for airline tickets that Gino was given to travel to a celebrity softball game. A close friend of Smith died in a motorcycle accident the weekend he was to travel and was not able to make it to the game at IK's junior camp.

IK supposedly was told by Gino at the start of training camp that he was going to give him back the $600 but hadn't done so by the point of the incident'

And among other things, locker room leaders don't need legions of apologists within their fan base either. The promise of Geno relies on excuses.  

How much smoke and heat does one need before recognizing a fire? How strong must the odor be before poop is identified? 

And even before the punch, there wasn't a team in the league that would trade a bag of footballs for Geno. 

Tell us once again how switching agents proves that Geno is a bad guy.  After you explain where this legion of apologists are needed when a person is assaulted.  

You hate Geno, we get it but for you and others thats not enough, you look for smoke and fire where it doesn't exist to make your case.  So here where he clearly to anyone with half a brain is in the right some try and twist it around

Wow!

Just Wow. If IK made the roster he'd be making 400K/yr. minimum.

Now he's going to be flipping burgers at Wendy's.

These young kids from the tough side of town have difficulty making the adjustment sometimes.

I don't know why folks are not getting this. Just shows how agenda driven some fans are.  The guy would have gotten his money; why was he stressing so much he had to punch his quarterback in the face??  Yet, folks are blaming Geno, lol.   I love reading from all the "tough guys" who don't have a problem with someone being punched in the face "because he owed him money". I wonder how many of them have spent a night in jail or been arrested (and out of a job) because in the real world that is exactly what would have happened.    Meanwhile we are talking chump change for a professional football player; if the dude had only controlled himself he may very well have gotten is money later in the week, now his career may be over.   All for $600?  

• Upvote 1

As the details come out there's no excuse for what Enemkpali did and he got what

he deserved.  But in reality this situation is all Smith's fault and it really makes me

i wonder if it's fair to read into the situation, that teammates wanted to see how geno handled it.  

bottom line, geno is done here.  it's either petty or a 1st round pick.

Hopefully IK clears waivers, we can pick him back up and cut Geno to make room on the roster.

wqx5RtD.png?1

"All I wanted was a second chance and I am grateful to Mr. Maccagnan and Mr. Bowles for giving it to me.  The $600 signing bonus was a class move."

--IK Enemkpali, September 1, 2015

SAR I

• Upvote 1

UPDATE: according to nfl.com this actually dealt with a 600 dollar bill for airline tickets that Gino was given to travel to a celebrity softball game. A close friend of Smith died in a motorcycle accident the weekend he was to travel and was not able to make it to the game at IK's junior camp.

IK supposedly was told by Gino at the start of training camp that he was going to give him back the $600 but hadn't done so by the point of the incident'

I was about to start a gofundme.com page to try and get IK his $600 but I got lazy when I had to start filling sh*t out, can somebody ask the firejohnidzik guys to do it

EXACTLY.

IK did wrong and got properly punished, but the lead up to this altercation is all on Geno and further evidence that he's an ahole.  

Camp has been going on for two weeks already and it was over a month since he couldn't make the flight.  Geno is the same guy who had a hissy fit and didn't want to attend the second day of the draft, the same guy who got in the altercation with the flight attendant.

EXACTLY.

IK did wrong and got properly punished, but the lead up to this altercation is all on Geno and further evidence that he's an ahole.  

Camp has been going on for two weeks already and it was over a month since he couldn't make the flight.  Geno is the same guy who had a hissy fit and didn't want to attend the second day of the draft, the same guy who got in the altercation with the flight attendant.

I've been accused of being a "Geno lover" but there's no excuse for his behavior.  By being the #1 QB

you automatically inherit a leadership role and you have to act like one

I guess my boy IK will have bigger impact than I could have imagined

But who am I going to root for now

Who gets to be SickJetFan número uno?

At the end of the day here, IK only played like 5 snaps last year and Geno threw like 50 interceptions

Losing them both will only make team better!

Go Fitz

Hurry up and get better Petty!

• Upvote 1

I've been accused of being a "Geno lover" but there's no excuse for his behavior.  By being the #1 QB

you automatically inherit a leadership role and you have to act like one

look, he doesn't have 'it'.  it's obvious.  this is merely the proverbial 'straw'.  petty is up next.  fitz can hold the fort and the jets can still make the playoffs this year.  the team has talent, youth and depth.  hopefully good coaching too.

I guess my boy IK will have bigger impact than I could have imagined

But who am I going to root for now

Who gets to be SickJetFan número uno?

At the end of the day here, IK only played like 5 snaps last year and Geno threw like 50 interceptions

Losing them both will only make team better!

Go Fitz

Hurry up and get better Petty!

Mauldin

The point is Bowles statement. He said ANY player. I call BS.

the statement is obviously BS...he wouldn't be so quick to cut a player who is owed millions in guaranteed money over the next couple of years I am sure, still Richardson did not attack one of his team mates he just made a few stupid mistakes it is silly to compare the two situations to one another.

That was updated to Geno's brother was in a accident and broke his ribs.. Geno never even called to say he wasn't coming.. IK said well just give me the money when I see you in camp.. 12 days in Geno never gave him the money and when IK asked for it Geno got in his face..

the statement is obviously BS...he wouldn't be so quick to cut a player who is owed millions in guaranteed money over the next couple of years I am sure, still Richardson did not attack one of his team mates he just made a few stupid mistakes it is silly to compare the two situations to one another.

That's my only issue with it. I could've picked any top player on the team. If Mo does this is he cut?

Anyway just another day in Jetland..

From the perspective of leadership I have to agree with you. Geno could have avoided all of this by just paying the guy back his money.  That's why Bowles said it could have been handled by a couple of six graders.   Having said that IK, threw it all away in one moment of foolish rage.   I am just shaking my head that something like this even happened... 

• Upvote 1

For what ever it is worth:

A source who spoke with Geno Smith told me the Jets quarterback says he approached IK Enemkpali around the (cont) http://tl.gd/n_1sn8bb8 

• A source who spoke with Geno Smith told me the Jets quarterback says he approached IK Enemkpali around the start of camp prior to the big incident that occurred Tuesday. The source said Smith did this after sensing a lingering issue between them after he was unable to attend Enemkpali's offseason event, as it felt like the now former Jets linebacker was not speaking to him. The source emphasized, Smith tried to diffuse the situation at that time by offering to pay $600 to Enemkpali that Smith said his former teammate claimed was owed for both a plane ticket and car service.”

At this point I don't know what to believe.. 

• Upvote 2