Geno Smith Punched by IK, out 6-10 weeks. All discussion here (MERGED)

Josina Anderson on ESPN last night explained the situation a little differently which seems to make more sense with the way each of these two approached this. She said that IK confronted Geno while he was sitting at his locker getting ready for practice and Geno told him this was not the time or the place for this discussion. Then IK put his finger in Geno's face and he turned to walk away and was hit by the punch that knocked him to the ground. Geno got up and said he was not going to do this here and the players then broke it up. That sounds a lot more logical to me. IK is a huge dude and was really angry, the whole sticking a finger in IK's face thing just didn't make sense.

That sounds a lot like Josina is getting her information from Geno Smith.

• Upvote 4

Ryan Clark was on Mike & Mike this morning and had some pretty solid insight into what happened:

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/ryan-clark-explains-what-exactly-happened-during-geno-smith-ik-enemkpali-fight/

You can listen to the interview there. Doesn't paint Geno in a good light at all.

Give us the short version or I say something not nice about Darrin Walls.

Give us the short version or I say something not nice about Darrin Walls.

“It was over flights and over camps not attended and not necessarily the fact that he didn’t go, because he understood the reason, but i’ve dealt with i.k. a lot. this guy is really tight about money, he really is. So whereas I’ve seen other players have this happen and kind of just move on from it, he couldn’t, and you know, a lot of people are saying you don’t punch a guy over that amount of money. it became about the fact that Geno wasn’t necessarily apologetic and being in a way remorseful about the money when saying he was going to pay i.k. back. you know, he didn’t, and he was rather smug about it. so these guys got into it earlier in camp about this money.”

“My report says Geno put his finger in his face and told the guy, well, you’re not going to do anything about it.”

Everyone knows what they will get with Fitzpatrick.  People say he works good with Chan and they've worked together before and blah blah blah.  So what?!?!?!  They worked together before to produce losing records multiple times.  Fitzpatrick can be a decent QB but more than likely he is just mediocre.  

The hope was for Geno to be better than that.   The jury was still out on Geno while the book has pretty much closed on FItz.  I hope Fitzpatrick leads us to a decent start but I don't expect a lot if that man takes the helm for the whole season.  Rather see if Geno did take that next step and can be more than a serviceable QB.

Agree totally with your assessment of Fitz and the hopes for Geno. I guess a situation like this lowers my already on life support hope that Geno would progress enough to be any kind of an answer. Don't believe he has the smarts or the character necessary.

If they can get Fitz to lay back on his gunslinger side and take safe bets on his throws, run the ball, and keep the D off the field - we might do just fine.  

• Upvote 2

Agree totally with your assessment of Fitz and the hopes for Geno. I guess a situation like this lowers my already on life support hope that Geno would progress enough to be any kind of an answer. Don't believe he has the smarts or the character necessary.

If they can get Fitz to lay back on his gunslinger side and take safe bets on his throws, run the ball, and keep the D off the field - we might do just fine.  

100% agree with your last sentence,, especially if our defense is playing Top 5 Defense.

That is exactly it Geno has the physical tools- the mental aspect and leadership part- no

Fitz you know what you are going to get- decent play but prone to INT's also. It is going to be the same with this team with our defense we need to limit those turnovers and we should be in every game

• Upvote 1

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/lightning-round-the-geno-smith-sucker-punch-jets-debacle/

Earlier today, news broke that Jets quarterback Geno Smith suffered a broken jaw in an altercation with linebacker IK Enemkpali. Smith will miss six to 10 weeks, and Enemkpali has been cut from the team. We gathered some Grantland staffers — some Jets fans, some not — to break down this circus.

Chris Ryan: Let me start off by saying that if any team were going to take the mantle of most publicly dysfunctional NFL franchise from the Eagles, I’m so, so, so, so glad it could be the Jets. It’s hard to top “Is the coach maybe racist?” But “reserve linebacker breaking onetime franchise quarterback’s jaw with sucker punch” just might do it. On behalf of Chip Kelly, Brandon Boykin, LeSean McCoy’s party planner, and the abandoned mining town that was once the San Francisco 49ers, I’d just like to say thank you for Jetting, Jets.

Shea Serrano: It feels a lot like No Quarterback At All as a football strategy is only slightly more dire than Geno Smith At Quarterback. Also, the only thing I truly want to know about this is whether it was more painful than when Cameron Wake hit Geno with an 18-wheeler.

Ryan: The king stays the king.

Andrew Sharp: I had no idea who IK Enemkpali was, but some quick Googling takes us to NewYorkJets.com, where we find out that this is NOT the dude you want to pick a fight with:

screen-shot-2015-08-11-at-2-06-35-pm.png

Ryan: Any guy who wears a face mask that could double as a Fury Roadcostume prop is not someone you want to scuffle with.

Serrano: This means that Ryan Fitzpatrick is likely the quarterback for the Jets, right? A quick sidebar: When he was with the Texans last season, his kids went to the same school as my sons. The Texans won the first two games of the season. After each of them, Fitzpatrick was there to drop his kids off at school in the morning. They lost the third game and he didn’t show up. I knew right then that I didn’t trust him.

Mallory Rubin: Forget about Ryan Fitzpatrick! This is your timely reminder that Bryce Petty once played WITH A BROKEN BACK. What do you think he’d say to a man who’s not willing to put a gigantic protective orb over his jaw booboo and hit the field? Like Geno, Petty can throw all of the interceptions that Jets fans are used to seeing. Unlike Geno, he brings one of those intangibles we’re always hearing about: TOUGHNESS! Give him the keys, Todd!

Ryan O’Hanlon: Spare Petty. SPARE HIM. I like him too much, and literally nothing good has ever come from being a Jets quarterback not named Joe Namath. Who’s the worst person in the world? Whatever the answer, let’s plop this Stonehenge-size, Woody Johnson–shaped millstone around his neck and watch him inevitably become, I don’t know, the first human being to ever get lost in space.

Sean Fennessey: This is the best news I’ve heard in weeks.

Let’s set aside, ever so briefly, the inimitable Jetsiness of this story. Things were already going terribly for Johnson’s merry band of ignoble dunderheads. They’ve already endured an offseason that has seen the team’s elite defensive tackle be suspended four games for substance abuse(and later arrested on drag racing charges), the returning hero appear in a boastfully satisfied Sports Illustrated cover story (pure jinx material), the monstrously gifted defensive leader grouse about his contract status, one of its promising young safeties be placed on IR after tearing his Achilles, and its routinely injured young cornerback go out another two months (no surprise given the FIVE surgeries he had while playing at Alabama). Put all of that information in a vacuum-sealed bag and fire it into space. Because Geno Smith is terrible. No good. A pox on all our houses. And he. Is. Gone. Here was my brother’s response to this news:

fullsizerender.jpg?w=694

That’s right. The spread offense. Chan Gailey pulling the strings. Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker leaping to the heavens. Chris Ivory rumbling like a steam engine. Jace Amaro bullying his way down the seam. Devin Smith turning on the nitrous. And dear, precious Ryan Fitzpatrick, applying that econ degree from Harvard by SPREADING THE WEALTH. There will be no Bryce Petty, at least not yet. It’s FitzMagic. May Geno Smith’s dignity rest forever in peace.

With the situation as is now.  I believe its not likely that Geno is on this team next year.  I believe he will play this year.  Let's say that Ryan does keep the job.  He will be on a short leash also and we all know that Fitzpatrick will have a couple bad games this year.  

Geno will play.  Hopefully sooner than later because if he comes in let's say week 10.  It's probably because we have a sh*tty record and Fitz is sh*tting the bed.  

Starting week 4 of last season I have been calling for Geno to be cut. Not because he's the worst QB in the world. On the contrary I think he has some outstanding physical skills and a ton of confidence.

What he doesn't have is LEADERSHIP. He's an anti-leader. Period.

Mac made a huge mistake banking on this guy for 2015. He needed to land a guy like Glennon, Clausen, or a big name trade like Foles or Rivers.

Regardless Geno should have been gone. No reason to have a guy like this in the most prominent position on the team.

This team needs a serious purge. Guys like Milliner, Richardson and Smith need to be gone. For various reasons.

Give Wilkerson a nice pay day, and continue to build around guys like him, Revis, Decker, Demario Davis and Big Snacks.

Cut Milliner and Geno and trade Sheldon next offseason. That's how you start to fix the damage Rex and Idzik did here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is ultimately the big picture. We went from sleeper team that could make some serious noise if our young QB takes the next step (which it looked like he was primed to do), to a flat, most likely 8-8 team with a mediocre stop gap journeyman...over 600 dollars. 600 dollars some backup linebacker wanted back because the starting QB couldn't make it to his stupid f*cking fundraiser due to the death of someone close to him. Let that truly sink in. It's f*cking painful

And yet half this board takes IK's side. The hatred for Geno is incredible. Even in the NY media, no one is stating the obvious - This was supposed to be  Geno's make or break year under Gailey's system. For the 2015 team to excel, Geno needed to take that step. And all reports out of camp had him doing so, while also saying Fitzpatrick has looked every bit like the journeyman backup he is.

I hope Fitz comes out and surprises. He's going to need to, because any momentum Geno had this summer going into the season is gone. Weeks away from running the offense, having to catch up in non contact practices only to be thrown in a week 5 or 6 game with the Jets needing a win isn't exactly an ideal situation.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

And yet half this board takes IK's side. The hatred for Geno is incredible. Even in the NY media, no one is stating the obvious - This was supposed to be  Geno's make or break year under Gailey's system. For the 2015 team to excel, Geno needed to take that step. And all reports out of camp had him doing so, while also saying Fitzpatrick has looked every bit like the journeyman backup he is.

I hope Fitz comes out and surprises. He's going to need to, because any momentum Geno had this summer going into the season is gone. Weeks away from running the offense, having to catch up in non contact practices only to be thrown in a week 5 or 6 game with the Jets needing a win isn't exactly an ideal situation.

Geno sulks. Football fans don't really like people that sulk.

In breaking news IK Jerseys are selling like hotcakes.. :winking0001:

• Upvote 1

I am not anti-Geno.  I was encouraged by the reports of his progress in camp, and the physical tools are there.  However, he is clearly not very bright.  First the peen pics, now getting punched out over $600.  The guy is not a leader.  Again, cannot figure what he was thinking about.   It is hard to blame a guy who got suckered, but there should not have been this kind of conflict to begin with.  If Fitzpatrick performs, Geno may have cost himself his job.  The guy appears to be a dim bulb. 

Well, a lot of this fan base is pathetic.

I agree more than I care to express here. However, not liking Geno because he's come across as a sulky twat, he's played awful, and he's done a lot of slapdick things is not one of the reasons the fans are pathetic. 

http://cdn2.streamable.com/video/vd4t.webm

So this is BS and we should back Geno Smith?

It's ridiculous that people are blaming Geno for someone punching him in the face. Any other QB the blame would be on the guy who threw the punch. Arguments and fights happen all the time. There are always disliked guys in the locker room. Never has a guy punched a starting QB.

I'm pissed. Yeah, Geno sucks. But him improving was our best chance for 2015. And for multiple reports it seemed like he was. I don't care if Geno is an a-hole off the field, I want wins. I want a super bowl.. and now 2015 seems like it will be another lost season.

• Thumb Down 1

I agree more than I care to express here. However, not liking Geno because he's come across as a sulky twat, he's played awful, and he's done a lot of slapdick things is not one of the reasons the fans are pathetic. 

I don't disagree that Geno was all of those things. But he was going to be the starting QB this year. This year, with Gailey, was his final opportunity to take that step. Now missing the rest of camp and the start of the season, it's very doubtful he does. I don't understand why people are happy about this... Geno improving was in the the best interest of this franchise.

• Thumb Down 1

It's ridiculous that people are blaming Geno for someone punching him in the face. Any other QB the blame would be on the guy who threw the punch. Arguments and fights happen all the time. There are always disliked guys in the locker room. Never has a guy punched a starting QB.

I'm pissed. Yeah, Geno sucks. But him improving was our best chance for 2015. And for multiple reports it seemed like he was. I don't care if Geno is an a-hole off the field, I want wins. I want a super bowl.. and now 2015 seems like it will be another lost season.

Is it ridiculous that people are saying that both players played a role, because that seems to be the recurring theme I'm seeing in published reactions.

Any other QB would have called his teammate to say he couldn't make his event and paid him back ASAP.

• Upvote 4

http://cdn2.streamable.com/video/vd4t.webm

So this is BS and we should back Geno Smith?

Thanks for that link.

I heard Boomer talking about Ryan Broyles the other day, and about how he and his wife gave themselves $60,000/year to live on from his NFL earnings. The rest of his salary was invested. He's had a bad bought with injuries and may not play anymore. 

It's a very stupid assumption, when we hear a story like this, to brush over the dollar amount for IK—a bottom of the roster guy. Geno makes more, he's come across as self-entitled and callous. 

I don't disagree that Geno was all of those things. But he was going to be the starting QB this year. This year, with Gailey, was his final opportunity to take that step. Now missing the rest of camp and the start of the season, it's very doubtful he does. I don't understand why people are happy about this... Geno improving was in the the best interest of this franchise.

I have zero confidence that Geno was taking a next step. Him putting himself in this situation confirms my doubt.

The defense and hiding the QB was ALWAYS going to be our best chance this year. Now we're just going to hide a different QB. No big deal... at least I won't mind rooting for Fitz. Geno is doosh.

• Upvote 1

Is it ridiculous that people are saying that both players played a role, because that seems to be the recurring theme I'm seeing in published reactions.

You're incredibly naive if you think all QBs and all 'star' players are stand up, good likeable guys. I don't care if Geno is a doosh and that some guys dont like him. He didn't deserve to get punched in the face by a teammate.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

You're incredibly naive if you think all QBs and all 'star' players are stand up, good likeable guys. I don't care if Geno is a doosh and that some guys dont like him. He didn't deserve to get punched in the face by a teammate.

Where did I say any of that or anything close to it?  You said that you can't believe people are blaming Geno and I asked how you feel about those who say both players deserve some blame.  Todd Bowles, Darrelle Revis, Willie Colon and several other current/former players have said both players were in the wrong.  Just wanted your thoughts on those saying so.

If Geno actually put his finger in his face and said "You're not going to do anything about it"  I understand.  Not that IK was right or Geno deserved it, but that is the kind of sh*t that gets you punched.  These are angry violent men, prone to fits of rage.  It doesn't make it right, but I am never truly surprised when an NFL player punches somebody and you should pretty much expect to be punched any time you are in an argument.  Not generally debate team members. 

• Upvote 1

When will this nonsense stop? At almost 46 years old I really dont want or need my phone exploding because everyone I know feels the need to bust my balls over what the Jets do. I'm tired of it and I'm sure most of you feel the same.

Yesterdays news completely took the wind out of my sails for tomorrow nights game. Not a big Geno fan, but this kills the depth.

Disgusted

• Upvote 2

Where did I say any of that or anything close to it?  You said that you can't believe people are blaming Geno and I asked how you feel about those who say both players deserve some blame.  Todd Bowles, Darrelle Revis, Willie Colon and several other current/former players have said both players were in the wrong.  Just wanted your thoughts on those saying so.

from the reports coming out, it sounds just as Bowles described it - as a childish disagreement. Geno could've definitely handled the situation better. Does that mean Geno deserved to get punched in the face? Seriously? when has that ever happened?

at this point it is what it is. Our franchise is again the punchline of the media. Half our fan base is ecstatic to be rid of Geno.. I guess I'm one of the few that held out hope that Geno could become a decent QB under Gailey... and that with our roster, we could make a legitimate run this year. Now with Fitz and Geno missing the rest of camp and preseason, I just don't see it. And as a fan, that's what I care about. 

• Upvote 1

Who's happy about it?

I, like most Jet fans I know, was clinging to the hope that Geno Smith could and would make that leap into respectability as a starting NFL QB.

His work thus far was looking good - in camp - not when it counts.

Guys that don't have it mentally can look right as rain - then the wheat get separated from the chaff when it's game time.

I think this latest incident points strongly to why Geno was a very low probability winner.

It was in all our best interests for him to succeed - doesn't mean he had a good chance of doing so.