Geno Smith Punched by IK, out 6-10 weeks. All discussion here (MERGED)

from the reports coming out, it sounds just as Bowles described it - as a childish disagreement. Geno could've definitely handled the situation better. Does that mean Geno deserved to get punched in the face? Seriously? when has that ever happened?

at this point it is what it is. Our franchise is again the punchline of the media. Half our fan base is ecstatic to be rid of Geno.. I guess I'm one of the few that held out hope that Geno could become a decent QB under Gailey... and that with our roster, we could make a legitimate run this year. Now with Fitz and Geno missing the rest of camp and preseason, I just don't see it. And as a fan, that's what I care about. 

Maybe it depends on where a person is brought up, but for myself, being from the Bronx, I don't remember having any childish disagreements with my friends over owing each other hundreds of dollars when I was in sixth grade. 

He didn't deserve what he got, but what I was responding to was the assertion that people were "blaming Geno"...do you think he deserves zero blame or some blame?  I agree with Bowles and Revis in that he deserves some blame, that's why I was just asking how you felt about players and coaches putting some of the blame on him.

The whole situation really is just horrible.

Our franchise is again the punchline of the media.

Maybe people should stop caring about what "the media" says.

Half our fan base is ecstatic to be rid of Geno.

Because half our fanbase thinks Geno is amongst the worst QB's to start in the NFL in the last decade, and feel the alternatives are better.

I guess I'm one of the few that held out hope that Geno could become a decent QB under Gailey.

Huh? You just said yourself about 50% of our fanbase was pro-Geno, 50% pro-other QB's. So no, you're not "of the few", you're one of many.

And everyone "hopes" the starting QB gets better, pro-Geno or not. We all want wins and quality play.

we could make a legitimate run this year.

We still can.

If you refuse to accept that, you're doing exactly what those you endlessly complain about did with Geno, i.e. doubt the starting QB.

Guess it's ok when you do it, eh?

When will this nonsense stop? At almost 46 years old I really dont want or need my phone exploding because everyone I know feels the need to bust my balls over what the Jets do. I'm tired of it and I'm sure most of you feel the same.

Yesterdays news completely took the wind out of my sails for tomorrow nights game. Not a big Geno fan, but this kills the depth.

Disgusted

Agreed, it goes beyond cute funny and just becomes a drag on being a fan.  Things will calm down on this front though after a few ex games. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe people should stop caring about what "the media" says.

Because half our fanbase thinks Geno is amongst the worst QB's to start in the NFL in the last decade, and feel the alternatives are better.

Huh? You just said yourself about 50% of our fanbase was pro-Geno, 50% pro-other QB's. So no, you're not "of the few", you're one of many.

And everyone "hopes" the starting QB gets better, pro-Geno or not. We all want wins and quality play.

We still can.

If you refuse to accept that, you're doing exactly what those you endlessly complain about did with Geno, i.e. doubt the starting QB.

Guess it's ok when you do it, eh?

Right. Because doubting Ryan Fitzpatrick after a 10 year resume in this league is the same as hating on Geno after two years in a Rex Ryan offense.

The Jets best case scenario was Geno clicking in Gailey's offense. We all have differences of opinions on whether that was going to happen. My issue with some is how clearly they were rooting for Geno to fail.

I liked the Fitz signing. I just think our upside was higher with Geno. Can Fitz pull a Vinny Testaverde and have a great year? I sure hope so, and I'll be rooting for it.

My reaction was to this thread and the people who have been celebrating this. My reaction was to listening to the radio (bad move) and listening to everyone making fun of Geno and the team. I'm pissed off this happened. Despite the odds, I was rooting for Geno to come out this year and look like a different player. Just like how now I'll be rooting for Fitz to do the same.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

I watched the NFL Network and Willie did not praise IK.  He only said that if you put your finger in someones face be prepared to face the consequences but said that IK was wrong for ever putting his hands on Geno.  Stop giving false information please.  

He absolutely said that, he isn't making it up.  I saw it last night and just saw it again 10 minutes ago on NFL network.  WIllie is a ******* a$$hole and the poster child of why the NFL jumps to violence as a resolution to the smallest of disputes.

If Geno actually put his finger in his face and said "You're not going to do anything about it"  I understand.  Not that IK was right or Geno deserved it, but that is the kind of sh*t that gets you punched.  These are angry violent men, prone to fits of rage.  It doesn't make it right, but I am never truly surprised when an NFL player punches somebody and you should pretty much expect to be punched any time you are in an argument.  Not generally debate team members. 

Do you honestly think that happened?  Sounds like IK's version after the fact.  You would have to have a death wish to do that.

Right. Because doubting Ryan Fitzpatrick after a 10 year resume in this league is the same as hating on Geno after two years in a Rex Ryan offense.

Translation: My hate is ok, your hate is bad.

Give it a rest hater.

The Jets best case scenario was Geno clicking in Gailey's offense. We all have differences of opinions on whether that was going to happen.

Yes, and as you said, about 50% of us thought it was never going to happen and another year would be wasted waiting for the usual bad QB to "get it" a la Sanchez and Smith.

Can Fitz pull a Vinny Testaverde and have a great year? I sure hope so, and I'll be rooting for it.

Do you think anyone here won't be?

My reaction was to this thread and the people who have been celebrating this.

The only think I'm celebrating is that the player I think is better will be playing. No one I've read or hears is celebrating the "how" here. To a man Geno doubters wanted a fair, honest, competition. We didn't get one. But because Geno Smith was clearly still immature and put himself in a bad spot and then provoked it further, we got Fitz.

My reaction was to listening to the radio (bad move) and listening to everyone making fun of Geno and the team.

Yes. A bad decision. Ignore the media.

some of the reactions here are stupid

I don't care what Geno did(unless he attack IK first) , you cant  punch a person just like that.

people blaming Geno are like the people who blame the girl who got raped because she wore a skimpy outfit and flirt with the guys in the bar.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

If Geno actually put his finger in his face and said "You're not going to do anything about it" I understand. Not that IK was right or Geno deserved it, but that is the kind of sh*t that gets you punched. These are angry violent men, prone to fits of rage. It doesn't make it right, but I am never truly surprised when an NFL player punches somebody and you should pretty much expect to be punched any time you are in an argument. Not generally debate team members.

That's all well and good. Obviously in the real world people (all people, not just the ones we condescendingly hold to a lower standard because they're basically big dumb animals) don't require justification that would rise to the level of legal provocation. At the same time I think we can do better than submitting the matter to dude law arbitration. I mean this is just plain social contract stuff, and it's pretty clear when and by whom that line was crossed here. I personally would feel like a giant retard if I tried to explain anything with 'he put his finger in my face,' up to and including the question 'why was your face in proximity to a finger?'

FROM HIS WIKI PAGE.............

When Enemkpali was 19, he punched a police officer during a bar fight before being subdued with pepper spray and a stun gun. Enemkpali was later charged with simple battery, placed on 13 months' probation, and ordered to complete 32 hours of community service and an anger-management course.[6]

The Jets best case scenario was Geno clicking in Gailey's offense. We all have differences of opinions on whether that was going to happen. My issue with some is how clearly they were rooting for Geno to fail.

I liked the Fitz signing. I just think our upside was higher with Geno. Can Fitz pull a Vinny Testaverde and have a great year? I sure hope so, and I'll be rooting for it.

My reaction was to this thread and the people who have been celebrating this. My reaction was to listening to the radio (bad move) and listening to everyone making fun of Geno and the team. I'm pissed off this happened. Despite the odds, I was rooting for Geno to come out this year and look like a different player. Just like how now I'll be rooting for Fitz to do the same.

Would you please put a cork in it.  Reasonable, Well thought out and well articulated responses have no place on this thread. :)

• Upvote 1

That's all well and good. Obviously in the real world people (all people, not just the ones we condescendingly hold to a lower standard because they're basically big dumb animals) don't require justification that would rise to the level of legal provocation. At the same time I think we can do better than submitting the matter to dude law arbitration. I mean this is just plain social contract stuff, and it's pretty clear when and by whom that line was crossed here. I personally would feel like a giant retard if I tried to explain anything with 'he put his finger in my face,' up to and including the question 'why was your face in proximity to a finger?'

Judge's ruling:

S1Nn9Qf.gif

• Upvote 2

I don't care what Geno did(unless he attack IK first) , you cant  punch a person just like that.

people blaming Geno are like the people who blame the girl who got raped because she wore a skimpy outfit and flirt with the guys in the bar.

There's a big correlation between low IQ and blaming Geno for IK Enemkpali punching him.

How much was IK going to make in league minimum salary this year?  $435K?  I don't care if Geno spat in his face and said word to yo Mama  what a moron.

just stop

• Thumb Down 1

Josina Anderson on ESPN last night explained the situation a little differently which seems to make more sense with the way each of these two approached this.  She said that IK confronted Geno while he was sitting at his locker getting ready for practice and Geno told him this was not the time or the place for this discussion.  Then IK put his finger in Geno's face and he turned to walk away and was hit by the punch that knocked him to the ground.  Geno got up and said he was not going to do this here and the players then broke it up.  That sounds a lot more logical to me.  IK is a huge dude and was really angry, the whole sticking a finger in IK's face thing just didn't make sense.

I want that to be true, but if it is, why are Bowles and some players saying that both Geno and IK are at fault? This scenarios makes Geno seem pretty innocent. Unless this wasn't the first time IK confronted Geno, and Geno kept blowing him off. It's just a weird situation, and I'm not sure really ever know the 100% truth.

Oh boy, I retract my earlier resignation, looks like I won the argument after all.

Coach Bowles on whether Geno Smith would get his job back upon returning healthy:

"That's a conversation we have to have when he comes back. If anybody's playing great, you lose your spot by injury, you lose your spot by a bunch of things, so if he's playing great and the ship is going the right way, you don't make a move. But we'll see as we go.  If the other guy's playing well, and the boat's going right, and there are no waves, and everything's going, and we're 4, 5, 6, 7-0? Yeah, you're not coming back to start."

Boom goes the dynamite.

SAR I

You point still is not validated.  You stated the only reason Geno is the starter is to not hurt his feelings and to not put pressure on Fitz.  That's mularkey, Geno was outplaying him.  With that said Geno obviously is not some stud franchise QB.  If Fitz is playing lights out he's going to keep the job that's obvious.  It will be interesting to see because Fitz has never been lights out in his entire career save for one 6TD game last year.  Most of what he does is very mediocre.  Now if he plays mediocre it will be interesting to see if Geno wins it back. 

What I will concede to you however is it's pretty obvious Geno has not taken a step forward in the leadership role.  The QB is the leader of the team.  Even if a QB is struggling if he owns the leadership role and has the full respect of his teammates, there would be a ton of backlash and support for him after an incident like this.  There hasn't been for Geno, leading me to believe the team does not like him very much personally which is a problem.  Even in Sanchez's worst moments the team always publicly had his back.  Even if Geno took the step forward as a player, it would seem the guys in the locker room don't like him and that is worrying.

There's a big correlation between low IQ and blaming Geno for IK Enemkpali punching him.

How much was IK going to make in league minimum salary this year?  $435K?  I don't care if Geno spat in his face and said word to yo Mama  what a moron.

Clearly, what IK did was a dumb move.  And, I know that it was about respect ego, etc, but he should have walked a way.  No doubts.

But, IK showed us what we all feared: Geno isn't the guy.  As dumb as it was for IK to hit Geno over $600, it was even dumber for Geno to put himself in that posistion and wag his finger in this guys face.

I am not making excuses for IK, but look at the aftermath.  Guys on the team say it was Geno's fault too; he has lost the locker room (if he every had it).  Geno could have diffused this is so many ways, but he let his arrogance get the best of him.

I would have hoped that slipping into the 2nd round and being ranked 32nd (with all of his talent) would have been enough of a wake up call, but apparently not.  Apparently, getting a broken jaw and missing 6-10 weeks wasn't enough either.  After all, IK apologized, Geno tweeted he would be back.

We are all big dumb animals. 

FROM HIS WIKI PAGE.............

When Enemkpali was 19, he punched a police officer during a bar fight before being subdued with pepper spray and a stun gun. Enemkpali was later charged with simple battery, placed on 13 months' probation, and ordered to complete 32 hours of community service and an anger-management course.[6]

From what I read they pepper sprayed him and he kept fighting. 

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/lightning-round-the-geno-smith-sucker-punch-jets-debacle/

Earlier today, news broke that Jets quarterback Geno Smith suffered a broken jaw in an altercation with linebacker IK Enemkpali. Smith will miss six to 10 weeks, and Enemkpali has been cut from the team. We gathered some Grantland staffers — some Jets fans, some not — to break down this circus.

Chris Ryan: Let me start off by saying that if any team were going to take the mantle of most publicly dysfunctional NFL franchise from the Eagles, I’m so, so, so, so glad it could be the Jets. It’s hard to top “Is the coach maybe racist?” But “reserve linebacker breaking onetime franchise quarterback’s jaw with sucker punch” just might do it. On behalf of Chip Kelly, Brandon Boykin, LeSean McCoy’s party planner, and the abandoned mining town that was once the San Francisco 49ers, I’d just like to say thank you for Jetting, Jets.

Shea Serrano: It feels a lot like No Quarterback At All as a football strategy is only slightly more dire than Geno Smith At Quarterback. Also, the only thing I truly want to know about this is whether it was more painful than when Cameron Wake hit Geno with an 18-wheeler.

Ryan: The king stays the king.

Andrew Sharp: I had no idea who IK Enemkpali was, but some quick Googling takes us to NewYorkJets.com, where we find out that this is NOT the dude you want to pick a fight with:

screen-shot-2015-08-11-at-2-06-35-pm.png

Ryan: Any guy who wears a face mask that could double as a Fury Roadcostume prop is not someone you want to scuffle with.

Serrano: This means that Ryan Fitzpatrick is likely the quarterback for the Jets, right? A quick sidebar: When he was with the Texans last season, his kids went to the same school as my sons. The Texans won the first two games of the season. After each of them, Fitzpatrick was there to drop his kids off at school in the morning. They lost the third game and he didn’t show up. I knew right then that I didn’t trust him.

Mallory Rubin: Forget about Ryan Fitzpatrick! This is your timely reminder that Bryce Petty once played WITH A BROKEN BACK. What do you think he’d say to a man who’s not willing to put a gigantic protective orb over his jaw booboo and hit the field? Like Geno, Petty can throw all of the interceptions that Jets fans are used to seeing. Unlike Geno, he brings one of those intangibles we’re always hearing about: TOUGHNESS! Give him the keys, Todd!

Ryan O’Hanlon: Spare Petty. SPARE HIM. I like him too much, and literally nothing good has ever come from being a Jets quarterback not named Joe Namath. Who’s the worst person in the world? Whatever the answer, let’s plop this Stonehenge-size, Woody Johnson–shaped millstone around his neck and watch him inevitably become, I don’t know, the first human being to ever get lost in space.

Sean Fennessey: This is the best news I’ve heard in weeks.

Let’s set aside, ever so briefly, the inimitable Jetsiness of this story. Things were already going terribly for Johnson’s merry band of ignoble dunderheads. They’ve already endured an offseason that has seen the team’s elite defensive tackle be suspended four games for substance abuse(and later arrested on drag racing charges), the returning hero appear in a boastfully satisfied Sports Illustrated cover story (pure jinx material), the monstrously gifted defensive leader grouse about his contract status, one of its promising young safeties be placed on IR after tearing his Achilles, and its routinely injured young cornerback go out another two months (no surprise given the FIVE surgeries he had while playing at Alabama). Put all of that information in a vacuum-sealed bag and fire it into space. Because Geno Smith is terrible. No good. A pox on all our houses. And he. Is. Gone. Here was my brother’s response to this news:

fullsizerender.jpg?w=694

That’s right. The spread offense. Chan Gailey pulling the strings. Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker leaping to the heavens. Chris Ivory rumbling like a steam engine. Jace Amaro bullying his way down the seam. Devin Smith turning on the nitrous. And dear, precious Ryan Fitzpatrick, applying that econ degree from Harvard by SPREADING THE WEALTH. There will be no Bryce Petty, at least not yet. It’s FitzMagic. May Geno Smith’s dignity rest forever in peace.

End Grantland

• Upvote 1

This is ultimately the big picture. We went from sleeper team that could make some serious noise if our young QB takes the next step (which it looked like he was primed to do), to a flat, most likely 8-8 team with a mediocre stop gap journeyman...over 600 dollars. 600 dollars some backup linebacker wanted back because the starting QB couldn't make it to his stupid f*cking fundraiser due to the death of someone close to him. Let that truly sink in. It's f*cking painful

THANK YOU.  Finally some perspective; if the dude simply chilled he probably would have gotten his money later.  He made his point there was no need to go ballistic over freaking $600.   He not only may have ****ed the season, he ****ed his own career.  Yet folks are running around saying "Thaks IK!!".  Some real stupid MoFos on this board.... 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

It's ridiculous that people are blaming Geno for someone punching him in the face. Any other QB the blame would be on the guy who threw the punch. Arguments and fights happen all the time. There are always disliked guys in the locker room. Never has a guy punched a starting QB.

I'm pissed. Yeah, Geno sucks. But him improving was our best chance for 2015. And for multiple reports it seemed like he was. I don't care if Geno is an a-hole off the field, I want wins. I want a super bowl.. and now 2015 seems like it will be another lost season.

You can continue to post this a thousand times and it wont matter.

The truth is that there is a small but vocal contingent group of Jets fans who just don't get it and think that players getting hurt, their players, getting hurt is some kind of joke.  And it is not.

I saw when Chad was hurt and people cheered.  They literally cheered Chad getting hurt.

Are Jets fans alone in this?  No they are not? 

Matt Cassel when he was injured was injured was cheered by fans as was Johnny Manziel when he got hurt.

Disgusting IMO.....

I saw people write and cheer that Sanchez was injured. 

And here we have people, if not cheering Geno getting hit, then saying well he got hurt because he was an immature guy, or he is not a leader, or he provoked it.

Utter nonsense. 

80% on this board are not leaders does that mean someone has a right to punch you in the face?

Its a joke!

At the end of the day I hear you and appreciate you standing for what is right as opposed to what is convenient.

CLARK: GENO, IK IN 'EACH OTHER'S FACE'

ESPN's Ryan Clark said his sources, including IK Enemkpali, confirmed the Geno Smith altercation surrounded "slights and camps not attended." Clark said, while it was "an inexcusable act ... it wasn't a 'sucker-punch.'

Where did Clark supposedly get this info?  I read Clark saying that he knew IK and that he was "tight with money."  Clark went to LSU and IK Louisiana Tech.  I assume they have some connection.