What does Fitz need to do to hang onto job?

jgb

If jets go FILL IN BLANK Fitz keep starting job  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What Minimum record does fitz need to keep job

• 1-3
    • 2-2
    • 3-1
    • 4-0
    • Cant lose a job due to injury, geno automatically gets job back

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's true that Geno  can run better than Fitz, but on the other hand, at least Fitz doesn't look slow or lumbering when he rolls out or tries to run - he actually has a certain quickness to him... I remember his first year in Buffalo he killed us with his legs. So while Fitz isn't as mobile as Geno, he isn't Kenny Obrien either.

I dont care about run ability. I care about 'being able to read thru the 3-4 progressions of receivers' a NFL caliber QB has to be able to do to compete in NFL. Fitz can do that. Geno cant and by now, obvious never will.

I dont care about run ability. I care about 'being able to read thru the 3-4 progressions of receivers' a NFL caliber QB has to be able to do to compete in NFL. Fitz can do that. Geno cant and by now, obvious never will.

I don't want Todd to return to Geno unless Fitz starts faultering or gets hurt. I'm just saying none of us have a clue how the offense would look with Geno now that we have actual NFL players at the skill positions. The field position we had last night was nothing that Geno saw last year. I don't like Geno but I'm pretty sure he'll end up being a better QB than Fitz, I just hate losing while a young QB learns. This might be great for Geno to learn Chans offense from a guy like Fitz who knows it like the back of his hand.

I don't want Todd to return to Geno unless Fitz starts faultering or gets hurt. I'm just saying none of us have a clue how the offense would look with Geno now that we have actual NFL players at the skill positions. The field position we had last night was nothing that Geno saw last year. I don't like Geno but I'm pretty sure he'll end up being a better QB than Fitz, I just hate losing while a young QB learns. This might be great for Geno to learn Chans offense from a guy like Fitz who knows it like the back of his hand.

"none of us have a clue how the offense would look with Geno now that we have actual NFL players at the skill positions. "

I DO!!!!!!!!!

Geno CAN NOT read progressions. He scrambles when Primary covered. He has ZERO shot at NFL career with that liability.

Tyrod Taylor seems to be doing just fine with Percy Harvin at WR the same way Brett Favre did fine with Harvin at WR.  The notion that Harvin wasn't good because he was in Seattle's dog house does not  mean he can't play WR.  Only thing that stopped him from catching another bomb TD Sunday was a Pats DB grabbing him by the arm as he ran bye him.  He also put up multiple 100 yard games for the Jets last season.

Harvin is an actual NFL WR, Decker is an actual NFL WR, Kerley is an actual NFL WR, Amaro and Cumberland are just fine for a 4th option on a team with a run-heavy offense.

Geno did not have elite talent last season, but he had far better talent than his supporters want to admit.  

His weapons were good, he was not.

Fitz gives you competent play- no one thought he was going to be  a world beater. To see a QB that was calm and knew what he was doing even though he made some mistakes was a change

Exactly...it's hilarious the number of times I've seen one person say Fitz is adequate at QB and somebody pounces on them and starts screaming that he's not a hall of famer.  We know he's not a hall of famer.  We also know he's better than anything this team has had in years.

Tyrod Taylor seems to be doing just fine with Percy Harvin at WR the same way Brett Favre did fine with Harvin at WR.  The notion that Harvin wasn't good because he was in Seattle's dog house does not  mean he can't play WR.  Only thing that stopped him from catching another bomb TD Sunday was a Pats DB grabbing him by the arm as he ran bye him.  He also put up multiple 100 yard games for the Jets last season.

Harvin is an actual NFL WR, Decker is an actual NFL WR, Kerley is an actual NFL WR, Amaro and Cumberland are just fine for a 4th option on a team with a run-heavy offense.

Geno did not have elite talent last season, but he had far better talent than his supporters want to admit.  

To be fair, for which games did he have Harvin and a healthy Decker?   They may just coincide with the late season Geno surge that had some believing.  Decker was injured early and it is tough to tell when he healed up. As for Kerley being an NFL WR, Gailey and Bowles sure don't seem to like him.  Theoretically, Nelson and Salas are on rosters (IR) but nobody was looking at them as serious options. 

he's not losing the job as long as we are winning though he kept Indy in the game last night but that is hat he is.  he can look like a good QB at times and can look like a bad QB at times, he's a mediocre guy and if he can avoid the big TOs we'll be able to win some games.

Tyrod Taylor won big week one and got crushed week two.  We don't know that he's doing fine with Percy Harvin yet at all.  Decker was hurt half of last season.

In Geno's first season we waited for Kerley to come back from injury because he was the one experienced NFL quality receiver Geno had to throw to. Kerley was supposed to the the savior.   And Kerley can't even crack this lineup.  That's how much better the receiving corps is this year.

Seems to me the offense is moving because our receivers are fighting for the ball, more than anything.  For an extended period of time last night the offense didn't score even though Indy was down to their fourth, fifth and sixth CBs.  We won, Fitz will be starting next week, but he's not a lock yet for the rest of the season.

To be fair, for which games did he have Harvin and a healthy Decker?   They may just coincide with the late season Geno surge that had some believing.  Decker was injured early and it is tough to tell when he healed up. As for Kerley being an NFL WR, Gailey and Bowles sure don't seem to like him.  Theoretically, Nelson and Salas are on rosters (IR) but nobody was looking at them as serious options. 

The health thing is a fair point but something nobody can answer.  What we do know is that they were on the field together from weeks 6-13, that's 8 games.  In those 8 games, Geno was benched for two of them because he was so bad.  When he was on the field with them, he threw 3 TD's and 6 INTs, had QBR of 35 in one game and 0 in another...that was also the time frame in which we started seeing Owusu get on the field a little bit as another option.  So with Harvin, Decker, Kerley, Amaro, Cumberland, Owusu and a solid running game, he went 3 TD's 6 INT's.

Tyrod Taylor won big week one and got crushed week two.  We don't know that he's doing fine with Percy Harvin yet at all.  Decker was hurt half of last season.

In Geno's first season we waited for Kerley to come back from injury because he was the one experienced NFL quality receiver Geno had to throw to. Kerley was supposed to the the savior.   And Kerley can't even crack this lineup.  That's how much better the receiving corps is this year.

Seems to me the offense is moving because our receivers are fighting for the ball, more than anything.  For an extended period of time last night the offense didn't score even though Indy was down to their fourth, fifth and sixth CBs.  We won, Fitz will be starting next week, but he's not a lock yet for the rest of the season.

Not concerned with the score as this is a discussion about Harvin, not about how good the Bills are.  Harvin went for 79 yds and a TD in week one and 4 for 47 in week two with a Pats DB grabbing him by the arm to prevent a deep TD because Harvin beat him.  Very likely he's goes in the 70's again with a TD in consecutive weeks if DB doesn't grab him.  He's a good enough receiver that a QB should be productive if they've got Harvin/Decker/Kerley/Owusu/Cumberland/Amaro and a strong running game.  

Anyone that watched last night's game and saw great QB play from Fitz was not paying attention.  The guy did what he had to do, but this idea that he is going thru progressions is just not supported by what I saw.  He locked onto receivers and frequently just chucked it into coverage down the field when replays showed underneath receivers who were open.  Fitzpatrick is a very good backup QB.  Let's let the coaching staff determine who gives us the best chance to win.  I think there is a good chance we stick with Fitz because of the success Arizona had last year with playing lesser QB's who managed the game.  

The health thing is a fair point but something nobody can answer.  What we do know is that they were on the field together from weeks 6-13, that's 8 games.  In those 8 games, Geno was benched for two of them because he was so bad.  When he was on the field with them, he threw 3 TD's and 6 INTs, had QBR of 35 in one game and 0 in another...that was also the time frame in which we started seeing Owusu get on the field a little bit as another option.  So with Harvin, Decker, Kerley, Amaro, Cumberland, Owusu and a solid running game, he went 3 TD's 6 INT's.

Oh come on.  Harvin got there midyear, Decker was hurt much of the season, Kerley's not a bad #3 but that's it.  You didn't see wide receiver play like you've seen the last two games last year or the year before. The idea that you can plug in Harvin, say a hurt Decker is equal to a healthy Decker and say that Geno had a full complement of NFL quality receivers is just nonsense, and anyone who saw the Jets last year knows that to be true.

Why does it feel that there is a large minority who is just biding its time waiting for Fitz to have a rough outing to pounce and chime in with "Told you so!!!!" Every QB has a rough outing now and then (i.e. Luck last night). I hope Bowles is not the reactionary type to hook Fitz after one clunker.

Oh come on.  Harvin got there midyear, Decker was hurt much of the season, Kerley's not a bad #3 but that's it.  You didn't see wide receiver play like you've seen the last two games last year or the year before. The idea that you can plug in Harvin, say a hurt Decker is equal to a healthy Decker and say that Geno had a full complement of NFL quality receivers is just nonsense, and anyone who saw the Jets last year knows that to be true.

Geno had a whooooole lot more practice time and game reps with Harvin and Decker than Fitz had with Decker and Marshall. 

I'm not saying Geno should have been an offensive force, I'm simply saying he should've been better than terrible and he wasn't.

Why does it feel that there is a large minority who is just biding its time waiting for Fitz to have a rough outing to pounce and chime in with "Told you so!!!!" Every QB has a rough outing now and then (i.e. Luck last night). I hope Bowles is not the reactionary type to hook Fitz after one clunker.

Oh god...the first Jets loss is going to be crazy if Fitz has a turnover.  I can't believe the way some fans view Geno.  I went to the first practice after the punch and after Fitz threw and incomplete pass I heard somebody in the stands scream "that's why we need Geno in there"....right, because Geno never throws incomplete passes...smh

Bowles doesn't come across as the quick hook type. I think the only way that he goes that route is if he truly believes that Geno is the much better option. And if he feels that way, it won't even take a bad outing for him to make the change. 

It's hard to predict. They're off to a good start with Fitz as the game manager, but he's had a tremendous amount of help from the defense and the 10 takeaways to date. And Geno was their clear choice to start before he got decked. OTOH, I do think that Geno's role in the 6th grade level altercation may very well've effected Bowles opinion of him. That, and the crushing silence when it came to players having Geno's back. If I had to guess, they'd ride Fitz until he either gets hurt, or strings together a couple very poor performances. I think it remains his job to lose. 

Bowles doesn't come across as the quick hook type. I think the only way that he goes that route is if he truly believes that Geno is the much better option. And if he feels that way, it won't even take a bad outing for him to make the change. 

It's hard to predict. They're off to a good start with Fitz as the game manager, but he's had a tremendous amount of help from the defense and the 10 takeaways to date. And Geno was their clear choice to start before he got decked. OTOH, I do think that Geno's role in the 6th grade level altercation may very well've effected Bowles opinion of him. That, and the crushing silence when it came to players having Geno's back. If I had to guess, they'd ride Fitz until he either gets hurt, or strings together a couple very poor performances. I think it remains his job to lose. 

Yeah way I see it is if Jets in playoff hunt and aren't winning games in spite of Fitz but rather he is protecting the ball and making plays when he has to, he stays in. If Jets get eliminated from playoffs (hopefully never) then maybe they take a look at Geno to end the season regardless of how Fitz is playing, if only to showcase him for a trade

Anyone that watched last night's game and saw great QB play from Fitz was not paying attention.  The guy did what he had to do, but this idea that he is going thru progressions is just not supported by what I saw.  He locked onto receivers and frequently just chucked it into coverage down the field when replays showed underneath receivers who were open.  Fitzpatrick is a very good backup QB.  Let's let the coaching staff determine who gives us the best chance to win.  I think there is a good chance we stick with Fitz because of the success Arizona had last year with playing lesser QB's who managed the game.  

do you know what the word "frequently" means? I don't think that word fits your statement

Geno had a whooooole lot more practice time and game reps with Harvin and Decker than Fitz had with Decker and Marshall. 

I'm not saying Geno should have been an offensive force, I'm simply saying he should've been better than terrible and he wasn't.

You think Fitz would be better than terrible if he had last year's receivers and offense in general?  Please.  Marshall takes an interception away from a defender and turns it into a first down near the goal line.  Marshall this, Marshall that, then Decker makes a nice play in the mix.  Last year it was a hurt Decker to make ALL the big plays and then Harvin comes in midseason.  And all of our receivers have been here since training camp opened, and Fitz was working with them all camp long, so I don't get where you think Fitz is working at some disadvantage time-wise.  

You think Fitz would be better than terrible if he had last year's receivers and offense in general?  Please.  Marshall takes an interception away from a defender and turns it into a first down near the goal line.  Marshall this, Marshall that, then Decker makes a nice play in the mix.  Last year it was a hurt Decker to make ALL the big plays and then Harvin comes in midseason.  And all of our receivers have been here since training camp opened, and Fitz was working with them all camp long, so I don't get where you think Fitz is working at some disadvantage time-wise.  

Yes I do, but that's only based on the fact that he has been better than terrible at every single stop of his career no matter who his receivers were, and has had to do it in the first year of a new system and new receivers more times than not.  All of the things people pretend impossible tasks in discussing Geno.

Archived