5 Things to Know about New Jets QB FitzPatrick

JetBlue

Why are you so invested in the semantics of the word sucker punch?

I guess I don't like when harsh terms are used loosely. to me, and the true definition of sucker punch, is a cowardly act. punching someone who has no idea that it is coming. fwiw, I don't like how the word "hate" is loosely thrown around. it just bothers me,is all

There is no reason to expect a teammate to punch you in the face over $600. NONE.

as I have stated a few times earlier, ik punching geno in the face has little to do with $600. the money might have been the catalyst, but actions are what brought this situation to a head

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are you so invested in the semantics of the word sucker punch?  The HC said used the term and explained how it was totally unacceptable.  You can split hairs all day but the bottom line is IK totally ****ed up and as a result threw his career in the toilet and did so over $600.     There is no reason to expect a teammate to punch you in the face over $600.  NONE.   

HUGE difference between sucker punch and two grown men having a fight. 

Chad's 2006 playoff year was 17 tds and 16 picks in 2004 playoff year he had 16 tds and 9 picks..His 2 best years was 2002 22-6 and 2008 with the Fins 19-7.. Fitz has had 3 years in a row with 23 or over tds..

different era and stats tell part of the story.  meaningless fantasy #s don't help you win but Chad made plays to help his teams win.  it's not a coincidence that every time he played at least 3/4 of games for a team that team made the playoffs.  those 3 23+ TD years he averaged 505 attempts a season, Chad never attempted 500 passes in any season.  Fitz isn't half the player Chad was.

I guess I don't like when harsh terms are used loosely. to me, and the true definition of sucker punch, is a cowardly act. punching someone who has no idea that it is coming. fwiw, I don't like how the word "hate" is loosely thrown around. it just bothers me,is all

as I have stated a few times earlier, ik punching geno in the face has little to do with $600. the money might have been the catalyst, but actions are what brought this situation to a head

Apparently you are not getting this..... THERE IS NO REASON TO PUNCH YOUR STARTING QB IN THE FACE, PERIOD.   That is why IK is unemployed today. 

different era and stats tell part of the story.  meaningless fantasy #s don't help you win but Chad made plays to help his teams win.  it's not a coincidence that every time he played at least 3/4 of games for a team that team made the playoffs.  those 3 23+ TD years he averaged 505 attempts a season, Chad never attempted 500 passes in any season.  Fitz isn't half the player Chad was.

Really??? Jeff Garcia was throwing for 31 tds on a 6-10 49'er team in 2001 what era was that?? 

Please do go back to the Geno thread and come back here and say this again.  Face it, the Jets won their "Superbowl" for the fans again.  This is why we're laughed at.  Pennington lay writhing in pain, the stadium cheers.  Geno makes one mistake in a practice, the stadium boos the hell out of him.  Sanchez, Tebow, on and on and on....  Jets fans are an absolute disgrace.  They didn't get the national attention as a bunch of jackals and idiots by coincidence, it's because for the most part they are. 

Right.  Its Jets fans that are the problem.  Not this organization's total inability to bring in competent QB's.  Every one of those QB's have deserved to get booed when they did.  The only area where you are correct is by ripping the fans who root for injuries. 

I disagree. you can stretch the phrase "sucker punch" to an unsuspected punch, you might have a small point here, but the act of getting into someones face, pointing in someones face, and if true, asking ik what he plans to do about, to me, that sounds like a challenge. if you challenge somebody, you have to expect that the person would accept the challenge. therefore, geno would have at least considered, or even expected that a punch could be coming

I'm not swayed. I'm not saying Geno wasn't being an a$$hole, either - I'm sure he was! There's just absolutely no way he could reasonably expect IK to take a swing at his jaw there, no matter how heated the argument had gotten. It's entirely unprecedented. Had IK simply held back a tiny bit and gave Geno a shove instead of a punch, this would be a non-story. No matter what Geno said or waved, it's 100% unacceptable for IK to punch him in the face. If some a$$hole at my job yells and wags a finger in my face, I know what to do to not get fired there.

I'm not swayed. I'm not saying Geno wasn't being an a$$hole, either - I'm sure he was! There's just absolutely no way he could reasonably expect IK to take a swing at his jaw there, no matter how heated the argument had gotten. It's entirely unprecedented. Had IK simply held back a tiny bit and gave Geno a shove instead of a punch, this would be a non-story. No matter what Geno said or waved, it's 100% unacceptable for IK to punch him in the face. If some a$$hole at my job yells and wags a finger in my face, I know what to do to not get fired there.

Seriously.  I wonder if some of these folks have jobs.  You try that sh*t where you work and see what happens.  There is absolutely no reason to expect someone to throw a punch at you unless you threw one first. 

Right.  Its Jets fans that are the problem.  Not this organization's total inability to bring in competent QB's.  Every one of those QB's have deserved to get booed when they did.  The only area where you are correct is by ripping the fans who root for injuries. 

Considering it seems about 80% of fans are happy Geno just got his jaw busted I would say that's a pretty big area to be right in.

you don't think all his TOs and lack of points in meaningful moments hurt the D at all? it was all on the D?  interesting.

All I'm saying is that you cannot point to wins and losses for a QB when the defense is among the worst in football over a three year span of time, whether using points as a metric or yards allowed.

The meaningful moments argument doesn't hold water for me, either. I'm sure he scored points in "meaningful moments" that you have conveniently omitted. And that's assuming we are calling the same moments meaningful.

our fans suck.  booing doesn't help a team deserved or not.

All I'm saying is that you cannot point to wins and losses for a QB when the defense is among the worst in football over a three year span of time, whether using points as a metric or yards allowed.

The meaningful moments argument doesn't hold water for me, either. I'm sure he scored points in "meaningful moments" that you have conveniently omitted. And that's assuming we are calling the same moments meaningful.

I don't pin it all on him but he as a major reason why they didn't make it.  He helped make the D look worse and he didn't make plays to keep his team in games.

Right and all evidence and reports are stating that there was no fight.   

There was absolutely a fight...just that it was so one-sided that it ended quickly.

I wasn't there, you weren't there, and plenty of conflicting reports circulating.  Josina Anderson reported last night that IK approached Geno while he was sitting down and Geno got up to say "not here" and things escalated from there.  That's two grown men trying to resolve a dispute no matter how wrong either one of them was.

I haven't seen a single report that said Geno was doing anything other than talking/arguing with IK before he got hit which means IK was out of line but did not sucker punch Geno.

you are trying to tell me that you can think of no reason? come on

Are you really this dense????   If you have any self control and value your career there answer is NO.  If you are immature hot head I think of all kinds of things that would set you off.   

I guess this is where you and I differ. sometimes people do what they need to do. I am not saying that there are not consequences in todays society.

There was absolutely a fight...just that it was so one-sided that it ended quickly.

I wasn't there, you weren't there, and plenty of conflicting reports circulating.  Josina Anderson reported last night that IK approached Geno while he was sitting down and Geno got up to say "not here" and things escalated from there.  That's two grown men trying to resolve a dispute no matter how wrong either one of them was.

I haven't seen a single report that said Geno was doing anything other than talking/arguing with IK before he got hit which means IK was out of line but did not sucker punch Geno.

I posted the Josina Anderson post earlier. How do you consider that a fight? I call it a disagreement or even an argument.  

Seriously.  I wonder if some of these folks have jobs.  You try that sh*t where you work and see what happens.  There is absolutely no reason to expect someone to throw a punch at you unless you threw one first. 

People get punched at work all the time...that doesn't make it right, but naïve to think anyone is above being assaulted based on their physical location.  Crazy people are everywhere.

I guess this is where you and I differ. sometimes people do what they need to do. I am not saying that there are not consequences in todays society.

He did what he needed to do and now his is out of a job. Yeah that was real smart move.   Unreal..... 

what makes you think that I have a job? lol. I guess we lived life in very different ways

what is more important? TD passes or wins?  you cannot seriously be telling me Fitz is anywhere near as good as Chad was

TD passes lead to wins on a roster like ours.  We have had QB's forcing our teams to settle for FG's time and time again the last 6 years, not to mention turning it over in the Red Zone.

And Chad wasn't very good.  Not at all really.  He beat bad teams and was awful against top defenses.  That's not a good QB.  Better than Sanchez and Geno?  Yes.  But that's not saying much at all.  At least we won't be handing Geno $64M to be the franchise guy.

Are you really this dense????   If you have any self control and value your career there answer is NO.  If you are immature hot head I think of all kinds of things that would set you off.   

Kind of arguing against yourself here...the NFL pays guys a lot of money to be immature hot heads...some just take it too far.

I posted the Josina Anderson post earlier. How do you consider that a fight? I call it a disagreement or even an argument.  

When you are arguing with somebody and it gets physical, it's now a fight.  Just because one guy lost the fight before he countered doesn't mean it didn't take place.

Dude go through the Geno thread man, there's a hell of alot of happy people right now.  Like Geno or not that whole thread is a disgrace. 

I don't feel like wading through those 54 pages. I saw enough.  The point is that Jets fans who boo bad QB's aren't bad fans.  You're tying that together with idiots on a message board celebrating an injury.  Jets fans generally suck but booing poor performance isn't a good reason to argue that point.  They pay good money (stupidly, most of the time) to see a better product than we've mostly been given.

People get punched at work all the time...that doesn't make it right, but naïve to think anyone is above being assaulted based on their physical location.  Crazy people are everywhere.

And those folks pay the price for the stupid actions.  People who value their jobs try to control themselves.   No one is saying anyone is above being assaulted we are saying you have an expectation of not being attacked by fellow employee at work; of course there are nut jobs everywhere.  That is not what we are talking about.   Not really sure what we are arguing about.... 

what makes you think that I have a job? lol. I guess we lived life in very different ways

Do you know anyone with a job or career or even there own business?  It is not that difficult a concept to understand...

no he isn't.  He's not as good as any healthy Chad. 

Chad wasn't ever healthy after 2002.  A healthy Chad was better than Ryan Fitzpatrick, but that was only for 1 year.  After that he mostly ranged from mediocre to horrifically bad depending on the quality of defense he was facing.

The time (for anyone and everyone) to stop IK from punching Geno was way before the finger to the face (if that actually happened). The situation should have been defused long before as in a minute (or whatever) before, when they first began arguing. They each share blame. Geno has never shown himself to be mature from the time he pouted and threatened to not show up for day two of the draft, to the time he cursed out fans, missed a meeting for a movie and now has seemingly ****ed a fellow player out of a pittance and shown no contrition. He instead added fuel to the fire and now sits watching with a broken jaw, which is exactly where he should be. IK is no longer in football (at the moment) and that is exactly where HE should be. Any players in the vicinity are now on a team with even bigger questions at QB than they had two days ago, which is exactly where THEY should be.

I feel bad for all of them, but mostly I just feel bad for me. I don't know what I did to deserve this.

Archived