Tyler Thigpen coming in to work out on Friday

AFJF

http://www.jetnation.com/2015/08/11/tyler-thigpen-set-to-work-out-for-jets-on-friday/

According to Dianna Marie Russini of ESPN, the Jets will hold a workout for quarterback Tyler Thigpen on Friday.

Thigpen, like Ryan Fitzpatrick, is a former Chan Gailey pupil as he threw 18 touchdowns and 12 interceptions in his second season in the NFL as a seventh-round draft choice who was elevated to starting status following injuries to multiple Kansas City quarterbacks in 2008.

The workout should come as no surprise as the Jets will be looking for another quarterback to add to the roster following today’s incident in which linebacker IK Enemkpali broke Geno Smith’s jaw in a locker room altercation.

They'll definitely sign someone, they can't have Petty be the backup. He's nowhere near ready.

Absolutely...and Thigpen makes sense...would rather they trade for Glennon but that's not happening.

http://www.jetnation.com/2015/08/11/tyler-thigpen-set-to-work-out-for-jets-on-friday/

According to Dianna Marie Russini of ESPN, the Jets will hold a workout for quarterback Tyler Thigpen on Friday.

Thigpen, like Ryan Fitzpatrick, is a former Chan Gailey pupil as he threw 18 touchdowns and 12 interceptions in his second season in the NFL as a seventh-round draft choice who was elevated to starting status following injuries to multiple Kansas City quarterbacks in 2008.

The workout should come as no surprise as the Jets will be looking for another quarterback to add to the roster following today’s incident in which linebacker IK Enemkpali broke Geno Smith’s jaw in a locker room altercation.

**** my life. 

whoever they bring in won't be a viable backup to fitz anyway. the jets would be better off using petty if fitz gets hurt as the season would essentially be over anyway. geno is done in ny. if the season goes awry they should see if petty shows a spark.

Starting a rookie is a terrible idea. It didn't work with Geno or Sanchez, why would it work with Petty?

Right. It'd be a good way to ruin Petty's career. Let the guy sit and learn. By all accounts, he's nowhere near ready.

Agree completely.  I'd rather see a guy like Thigpen stink up the joint than have Petty thrown in there when he's not ready.

Right. It'd be a good way to ruin Petty's career. Let the guy sit and learn. By all accounts, he's nowhere near ready.

the problem with petty, is that if geno does not play much this year, and fitz doesn't do well, mccagnan will look to take a qb early in the draft to compete with petty.  if they take a qb in the first round the new regime has way more invested in that qb than anyone taken in the 4th.  you just don't have the luxury of sitting for years anymore.  petty would be fortunate to get a shot this year even if it's at the end of the season, so he has a shot to make a good impression on the gm/coaches before they go into FA and draft prep.

the problem with petty, is that if geno does not play much this year, and fitz doesn't do well, mccagnan will look to take a qb early in the draft to compete with petty. if they take a qb in the first round the new regime has way more invested in that qb than anyone taken in the 4th. you just don't have the luxury of sitting for years anymore. petty would be fortunate to get a shot this year even if it's at the end of the season, so he has a shot to make a good impression on the gm/coaches before they go into FA and draft prep.

There's a rookie cap and he's a 4th rounder. Why can't a player sit for at least a season?

the problem with petty, is that if geno does not play much this year, and fitz doesn't do well, mccagnan will look to take a qb early in the draft to compete with petty.  if they take a qb in the first round the new regime has way more invested in that qb than anyone taken in the 4th.  you just don't have the luxury of sitting for years anymore.  petty would be fortunate to get a shot this year even if it's at the end of the season, so he has a shot to make a good impression on the gm/coaches before they go into FA and draft prep.

Sure, I suppose that's a concern IF (big if) things play out that way. The fact that he has potential but is definitely not ready isn't an "if". I don't want to kill another kid's career because we're desperate/anxious.

If we get even sub-par QB play this season, we're not gonna have a good draft pick anyway.

There's a rookie cap and he's a 4th rounder. Why can't a player sit for at least a season?

because the gm will probably bring in a high round qb to compete with petty, and that guy will have the edge.  there's really not much time to groom qbs anymore.  petty is already 24 and he'll be the underdog in any qb competition next training camp if they draft a 22 year old in the 1st or 2nd round.  

because the gm will probably bring in a high round qb to compete with petty, and that guy will have the edge. there's really not much time to groom qbs anymore. petty is already 24 and he'll be the underdog in any qb competition next training camp if they draft a 22 year old in the 1st or 2nd round.

Rodgers sat for 3 seasons. Granted, Brett Favre was ahead of him, but still. He was also a first rounder.

I alsovthonk the Jets are still a 8-8, 9-7 team. IOW, middle of the first round. A guy drafted 15th won't necessarily HAVE to start.

Rodgers sat for 3 seasons. Granted, Brett Favre was ahead of him, but still. He was also a first rounder.

I alsovthonk the Jets are still a 8-8, 9-7 team. IOW, middle of the first round. A guy drafted 15th won't necessarily HAVE to start.

no more aaron rogers sitting like that.  qbs need to show early.

Agree to disagree.

IMO it's from a lack of patience, not necessity.

i don't advocate it, but that's the nfl now.  the jets will be drafting a qb in the first round if this year goes south.  if, say, the jets take connor cook or hackenberg in the first round in 2015, bryce really doesn't have a great shot of ever winning the starting job, does he?

i don't advocate it, but that's the nfl now. the jets will be drafting a qb in the first round if this year goes south. if, say, the jets take connor cook or hackenberg in the first round in 2015, bryce really doesn't have a great shot of ever winning the starting job, does he?

Maybe not. Then again I didn't think we'd go DL again this year, so there's that I guess.

He'll fit in perfectly

Keep in mind though, Thigpen did that as a second-year player who was drafted in the 7th round....better than what the Jets have gotten out of their 1st and 2nd rd QB's over the past six seasons more times than not.

Archived