Jets Source on Geno: He Deserved It

AFJF

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/13/jets-source-says-broken-jawed-geno-smith-deserved-it/

IK Enemkpali got fired (and quickly re-hired in Buffalo) for punching Jets quarterback Geno Smith in the face.

But while the Jets came out quickly to describe it as a sucker punch, the idea that Smith played a role in his own getting punched is gaining traction.

Via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, unnamed sources within the team are saying Smith “deserved it.”

Smith “was up in [Enemkpali’s] face and pointed/touched his face,” an eyewitness said.

That followed Ryan Clark’s defense of Enemkpali on ESPN Radio earlier Wednesday morning, as he explained the situation surrounding Smith stiffing the linebacker out of $600 worth of travel expenses.

“These guys were in each other’s face,” Clark said, via the New York Post. “Geno put his finger in his face and told the guy, ‘Well, you’re not going to do anything about it.’ . . .

“It became about the fact that Geno wasn’t necessarily apologetic and being in a way remorseful about the money when saying he was going to pay IK back and he didn’t. He was rather smug about it.”

Whether he was or wasn’t, Enemkpali was wrong to punch him in the face, breaking his jaw and taking him out of action for a portion of the regular season. That’s something the legal system will work through now, along with the league as it applies its personal conduct policy.

But with Smith’s career in the balance this year anyway, it’s not a good look for his future that teammates would immediately blame the victim.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm shocked. 

I am shocked that the teammates of a starting NFL quarterback would not rally behind him when a reserve linebacker knocks him out in the locker room. 

Shocked by the silence that it was tacitly approved.

Shocked that the guy who gets kicked off airplanes, sends dic-pics, curses out fans, misses meetings, and shoves old men would get pounded in the face by a teammate.  

Shocked because all I've read online is how amazing a quarterback Geno will be once he gets weapons. 

Shocked because I was told little red flags of character mean nothing.  

But what's truly shocking is that the Mets are 3.5 games ahead in the NL East. 

I'm shocked. 

I am shocked that the teammates of a starting NFL quarterback would not rally behind him when a reserve linebacker knocks him out in the locker room. 

Shocked that the guy who gets kicked off airplanes, sends dic-pics, curses out fans, misses meetings, and shoves old men would get pounded in the face by a teammate.  

Shocked because all I've read online is how amazing a quarterback Geno will be once he gets weapons. 

Saw that story this morning about pushing the 70-something year old coach too....terrible.

I had a feeling that Smith was being a total ******* bully because he's the QB, IK is a backup linebacker and he thinks he can go through life with the red jersey on. He found out differently.

If it's true that he had his finger in his face and told IK that "you're not going to do" anything about getting the money back, I am glad IK punched him. I don't know many of us here that wouldn't have done the same.

Former Steeler Willie Colon is a strong suspect to be a source for Clark. He genuinely seems to enjoy talking to the media.

So because he likes talking to the media we should just throw his name out there as the likely source?  Nobody else on the 53 likes talking?  Maybe it's a guy who doesn't like talking publicly but doesn't like Geno.  It could absolutely be any guy in that locker room.

Not just the track record, the circumstances. They were already arguing but if it was just about the 600 bucks, nobody throws a punch. Something had to inspire the impulse to throw a punch.

Too bad we'll likely hear a million different versions of what happened, but I tend to agree.  IK may be a hothead, but to knock out the QB...that just does not happen.  There had to be some additional provocation, and IF Geno did touch his face and tell him he wasn't going to do anything...that could've done it.

It becomes harder each day to defend Geno

I think this is a good reason why people who weren't there shouldn't come out immediately after the fact and tell anyone what type of fan they are if they're questioning Geno and his leadership, because we now have a version of the story that shows him to be the antagonist who absolutely lacks leadership qualities.  Again...this is all depending on which version of events is true.

This sucks badly because honestly, it's the same old Jets. Hopefully, Bowles will continue to put this nonsense behind him and get to the business of winning. As his mentor once said, "Winning solves everything."

I'm going to the first game against the Browns. If the Jets look like crap, I hope everyone will join me, when I try to start the "SAME-OLD-sh*t!!!" Chant.

I think this is a good reason why people who weren't there shouldn't come out immediately after the fact and tell anyone what type of fan they are if they're questioning Geno and his leadership, because we now have a version of the story that shows him to be the antagonist who absolutely lacks leadership qualities.  Again...this is all depending on which version of events is true.

When you sit back and think about it however, it doesnt paint Geno in a good light either way.  There's a bad light and an even worse light.  Either way it's $600 that if he would've just paid, we wouldn't be talking about this and honestly that's the simple fact of the matter.  

Look Im not a geno fan at all BUT lets be honest the fanbase despises Geno so they will put the blame on him no matter whose fault it is.  I hate to say it but if IK shot Geno in the face instead of punching him our fans would still blame Geno in some way

I have a feeling Geno will be gone in a year or two, and IK will go on to terrorize the Jets for years to come.

Geno probably played his last game as a Jet and IK will get suspended by the NFL for the punch, end up on their practice squad and we will see them for the last game of the year, maybe he will help Rexi give us Conner Cook

It was easy money that Rex or BB would pick him up especially since IK was having a good camp

When you sit back and think about it however, it doesnt paint Geno in a good light either way.  There's a bad light and an even worse light.  Either way it's $600 that if he would've just paid, we wouldn't be talking about this and honestly that's the simple fact of the matter.  

Agreed...neither scenario is good, but being the antagonist as the QB would be a lot worse IMO. 

Wonderful that this is the kind of stuff we get to talk about as the season arrives.

Not sure why anyone would be even slightly surprised or doubt this in anyway. Not being there, I don't know what happened, but this seems entirely believable and likely. I don't know Geno at all, but he comes across like a total dic%, and even Sanchez seemed to have a ton of support from  his teammates that I never saw Geno get. His actions over the last few years make me think this story is true, and honestly scares the crap out of me with regard to Bowles and Mac, who up to this point I have liked.

+1

Losing IK hurts more than losing Geno.

That's my exact concern...that Geno was the antagonist and will be out of the league in a year or two while IK has a good/great career.

Geno probably played his last game as a Jet and IK will get suspended by the NFL for the punch, end up on their practice squad and we will see them for the last game of the year, maybe he will help Rexi give us Conner Cook

It was easy money that Rex or BB would pick him up especially since IK was having a good camp

That'll be up to Fitzpatrick playing well and staying healthy. Although I do believe that this incident lowers the bar for just how well he has to play to keep the job.

That's my exact concern...that Geno was the antagonist and will be out of the league in a year or two while IK has a good/great career.

I agree with every one of your points in this thread AF....a question though...what do you make of Bowles calling it a sucker punch , seems like his own locker room is now calling BS on that...an issue or just coach speak ?

I'm shocked. 

Man, we really do have a knack for finding amazing QBs and coaches don't we?   I always thought Geno was just intellectually dumb.  Now, more and more, I've come to realize that he's a total dick, too.

I think this board overrates IK wildly.  He shows some promise as a pass rusher.  People thought he was going to push to start this year and I think this proves that.  Jamaal Westerman.  Hooray!

True. I didn't know we had the next LT on our bench.

I think this board overrates IK wildly.  He shows some promise as a pass rusher.  People thought he was going to push to start this year and I think this proves that.  Jamaal Westerman.  Hooray!

Is there a sliver of a chance that he becomes a better situational pass rusher than Geno ever becomes as a quarterback?

That'll be up to Fitzpatrick playing well and staying healthy. Although I do believe that this incident lowers the bar for just how well he has to play to keep the job.

Agree, if Fitz is bad, the season will be in danger by the time he gets back so it's possible that Geno gets few games but no point playing him once the Jets are out of the playoffs, they will have to see what we have in Petty before the draft 

Archived