Jets Source on Geno: He Deserved It

AFJF

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree, if Fitz is bad, the season will be in danger by the time he gets back so it's possible that Geno gets few games but no point playing him once the Jets are out of the playoffs, they will have to see what we have in Petty before the draft 

I think when all is said and done, this incident will have the unintended benefit of accelerating our moving on from Geno by a season.  Either Fitz will be good enough to play the Dilfer role this season or we'll be awful and we'll do what we need to do to draft/acquire another QB next season.  But it sounds more and more like Geno really is just an ass and if he was Favre-good, then I'd be fine with it, but when you're in the bottom-three of QBs in the league, you don't get away with it.

See ya', Geno.

I agree with every one of your points in this thread AF....a question though...what do you make of Bowles calling it a sucker punch , seems like his own locker room is now calling BS on that...an issue or just coach speak ?

Just my best guess but I don't think Bowles was trying to misrepresent what happened.  I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was probably so angry that he wanted to describe it in its least favorable terms.  If any HC were to lose their QB in that manner they probably feel like they've been sucker punched themselves.

IK is what he is.  A backup linebacker.  

Do we really know that though?  It's not as if he's been in the league for six years and couldn't get on the field.  He was a rookie out of a smallish program who showed tremendous burst off the edge in limited playing time last season.  I say at worst he becomes a very good situational pass-rusher who will pick up double-digit sacks for a few seasons.

Do we really know that though?  It's not as if he's been in the league for six years and couldn't get on the field.  He was a rookie out of a smallish program who showed tremendous burst off the edge in limited playing time last season.  I say at worst he becomes a very good situational pass-rusher who will pick up double-digit sacks for a few seasons.

The fact he had trouble getting on the field for specials was a problem for me. 

Doesn't make Geno look good at all, if he was touching his face...which just seems odd....then that does change things. Still don't know if he deserves to be knocked out but still.

And btw I agree with some here IK is completely overhyped right now. Rex bought in though obviously so well see but I doubt he becomes that big of a player.

I think when all is said and done, this incident will have the unintended benefit of accelerating our moving on from Geno by a season.  Either Fitz will be good enough to play the Dilfer role this season or we'll be awful and we'll do what we need to do to draft/acquire another QB next season.  But it sounds more and more like Geno really is just an ass and if he was Favre-good, then I'd be fine with it, but when you're in the bottom-three of QBs in the league, you don't get away with it.

See ya', Geno.

exactly.  not good enough to act like he does.  though bryce probably isn't ready for the nfl, he needs to show enough this preseason.  the jets may need him the first month to get through a game.  there aren't many teams where a guy like petty has a chance like this.  the jets seem to be prime candidates for a qb in the first round next year.

Doesn't make Geno look good at all, if he was touching his face...which just seems odd....then that does change things. Still don't know if he deserves to be knocked out but still.

And btw I agree with some here IK is completely overhyped right now. Rex bought in though obviously so well see but I doubt he becomes that big of a player.

Rex does this stuff to **** with people.  He enjoys it.  He is a message board poster. 

The fact he had trouble getting on the field for specials was a problem for me. 

He didn't play much on specials early on but I know I saw him on the field against Miami...looked it up on PFF and he was on ST's for weeks 13, 15, 16, 17.  Topped out at 12 ST plays in weeks 15 and 17 so he saw his reps increase late in the season FWIW.

exactly.  not good enough to act like he does.  though bryce probably isn't ready for the nfl, he needs to show enough this preseason.  the jets may need him the first month to get through a game.  there aren't many teams where a guy like petty has a chance like this.  the jets seem to be prime candidates for a qb in the first round next year.

I was thinking during this year's draft that it was a good year to swap a pick for a 2016 pick to have some extra chips.  There are 3-4 guys who could be interesting at the top of next year including Cook, Hackenberg and Jones depending on how they all perform.  I would think Sheldon or Mo could be a chip as well.  Not saying Petty isn't the guy, but I don't think we'll know for sure by the end of this season and I'd go all in next year to draft a top QB if we can unless one becomes available by other means. 

Maybe Big Ben will punch out a backup LB and get released?

See ya', Geno.

Going by the current time table, Geno will be ready to play no later than the week after the bye. If Fitz is really stinking it up, they'll make the change - ass or not. However, I agree with you. Barring Geno having a Drew Brees-like epiphany, he's off this team sooner rather than later. If he is improved, however, and gets on the field, maybe that can serve as a showcase to get a little something for him in a trade. At this point, that might be the best case scenario.

Here's the whole article from Manish:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/geno-smug-confrontation-ex-nfl-s-ryan-clark-article-1.2323438?utm_content=buffer4d050&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=mmehta+twitter

Geno Smith might not be an innocent victim after all.

Although Todd Bowles made it clear that he doesn’t think his starting quarterback should have been punched by teammate IK Enemkpali, eyewitness accounts disagree.

Smith “was up in (Enemkpali’s) face and pointed/touched his face,” according to a source.

“Geno deserved it,” another source said.

It’s unknown how many people witnessed the altercation between Smith and Enemkpali, which began with a dispute over $600, but it’s clear not everyone subscribes to Bowles’ belief that the punch that broke Smith’s jaw was unwarranted. The quarterback is expected to miss 6 to 10 weeks with the injury.

It’s unclear how matters escalated, but Smith’s finger-pointing in his teammate’s face was grounds for a punch, according to some.

“That’ll get a man hit every time, especially one that hasn’t earned respect,” a source said.

As for what the team will do about its quarterback situation right now, the Jets might wait and see who becomes available later in the preseason when other teams pare down their rosters, the Daily News learned.

The Jets have inquired about Rex Grossman and Tyler Thigpen, The News has reported, but that doesn’t mean the team will necessarily be signing either of them or any other QB quickly.

nydailynews_cplogo.png?t=1439306220
Geno Smith Out 6-10 Weeks After Getting 'Sucker Punched' in Jets Locker Room
Even for the Jets, this is bad. Quarterback Geno Smith is out six to 10 weeks after being hit by teammate IK Enemkpali in the locker room Tuesday morning. Smith has a broken or fractured jaw that will require surgery. Enemkpali has been released. Head coach Todd Bowles said at an impromptu press conference that it "had nothing to do with football. Something very childish. He got cold cocked, sucker punched whatever you want to call it, in the jaw."??
NY Daily News

nydailynews_cplogo.png?t=1439306220
Geno Smith Out 6-10 Weeks After Getting 'Sucker Punched' in Jets Locker Room
Even for the Jets, this is bad. Quarterback Geno Smith is out six to 10 weeks after being hit by teammate IK Enemkpali in the locker room Tuesday morning. Smith has a broken or fractured jaw that will require surgery. Enemkpali has been released. Head coach Todd Bowles said at an impromptu press conference that it "had nothing to do with football. Something very childish. He got cold cocked, sucker punched whatever you want to call it, in the jaw."??
NY Daily News
The result is that the Jets enter Thursday’s first preseason game with Ryan Fitzpatrick as their starter, Bryce Petty as their No. 2 and camp arm Jake Heaps as their third-string QB. The reason the Jets need a veteran is that Petty, the team’s fourth-round pick this year, is raw and will take time to adjust to the NFL. Therefore, they need another alternative as a backup in case Fitzpatrick, who suffered a season-ending broken leg a year ago, happened to also go down due to injury.

Bowles had said before Smith’s injury that the starters would not play much in Thursday’s contest. Now, with Smith out and Fitzpatrick having plenty of career experience, it would be hard to imagine Bowles would want Fitzpatrick playing in a meaningless game for very long. That means Petty, the former Baylor QB, should get plenty of action against the Lions.

Smith also isn’t guaranteed the starting job upon his return.

Going by the current time table, Geno will be ready to play no later than the week after the bye. If Fitz is really stinking it up, they'll make the change - ass or not. However, I agree with you. Barring Geno having a Drew Brees-like epiphany, he's off this team sooner rather than later. If he is improved, however, and gets on the field, maybe that can serve as a showcase to get a little something for him in a trade. At this point, that might be the best case scenario.

Well we play the Bills in week 10.  If Geno worms his way back into the starting role by then, maybe IK can double down.

Problem is when you look at mansh*t metha's track record it's not believable

Fair point.  I guess it's like that show I keep hearing all the kids talk about where you have to pick a side.

Rex does this stuff to **** with people. He enjoys it. He is a message board poster.

LoL I wasn't even surprised...I actually don't think any of us were but I did think MAYBE he would grow up and move in a different direction but it doesn't seem like it's happening.

I was thinking during this year's draft that it was a good year to swap a pick for a 2016 pick to have some extra chips.  There are 3-4 guys who could be interesting at the top of next year including Cook, Hackenberg and Jones depending on how they all perform.  I would think Sheldon or Mo could be a chip as well.  Not saying Petty isn't the guy, but I don't think we'll know for sure by the end of this season and I'd go all in next year to draft a top QB if we can unless one becomes available by other means. 

Maybe Big Ben will punch out a backup LB and get released?

i'm sure a few more qbs will emerge, maybe from the pac 10.  i'm hoping gailey can make it easy on petty, give him options to get the ball out quickly.  he's certainly seeing plenty of blitzes in practice and the cbs are tough too.

I'm shocked. 

I am shocked that the teammates of a starting NFL quarterback would not rally behind him when a reserve linebacker knocks him out in the locker room. 

Shocked by the silence that it was tacitly approved.

Shocked that the guy who gets kicked off airplanes, sends dic-pics, curses out fans, misses meetings, and shoves old men would get pounded in the face by a teammate.  

Shocked because all I've read online is how amazing a quarterback Geno will be once he gets weapons. 

Shocked because I was told little red flags of character mean nothing.  

But what's truly shocking is that the Mets are 3.5 games ahead in the NL East. 

Now that's truly shocking!!  

The entire thing is just depressing.  We lose a promising young player (admittedly with anger issues) to a team in our division.   Our (previous) starting quarterback allows a situation to escalate that he could have easily defused (its called paying your debts) and as a result gets his clock cleaned, making the Jets once again look like Ringling Bros.  I can't.....

Oh well next man up.  It is the Fitz and Petty Show now.   

The Cut Geno movement is gaining steam.

For what it's worth, add my name.  Personally, I'd like to see Mcc work out a trade for Geno rather than cutting him outright.  Some dope somewhere (read Buffalo) would take him off our hands.  I'd hate to get nothing after three years of invested franchise time/money on him.

For what it's worth, add my name.  Personally, I'd like to see Mcc work out a trade for Geno rather than cutting him outright.  Some dope somewhere (read Buffalo) would take him off our hands.  I'd hate to get nothing after three years of invested franchise time/money on him.

Oh yeah I'm sure they're champing at the bit to reunite Geno and IK.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/13/jets-source-says-broken-jawed-geno-smith-deserved-it/

IK Enemkpali got fired (and quickly re-hired in Buffalo) for punching Jets quarterback Geno Smith in the face.

But while the Jets came out quickly to describe it as a sucker punch, the idea that Smith played a role in his own getting punched is gaining traction.

Via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, unnamed sources within the team are saying Smith “deserved it.”

Smith “was up in [Enemkpali’s] face and pointed/touched his face,” an eyewitness said.

That followed Ryan Clark’s defense of Enemkpali on ESPN Radio earlier Wednesday morning, as he explained the situation surrounding Smith stiffing the linebacker out of $600 worth of travel expenses.

“These guys were in each other’s face,” Clark said, via the New York Post. “Geno put his finger in his face and told the guy, ‘Well, you’re not going to do anything about it.’ . . .

“It became about the fact that Geno wasn’t necessarily apologetic and being in a way remorseful about the money when saying he was going to pay IK back and he didn’t. He was rather smug about it.”

Whether he was or wasn’t, Enemkpali was wrong to punch him in the face, breaking his jaw and taking him out of action for a portion of the regular season. That’s something the legal system will work through now, along with the league as it applies its personal conduct policy.

But with Smith’s career in the balance this year anyway, it’s not a good look for his future that teammates would immediately blame the victim.

Geno is a straight punk and has no business being the "leader" of the Jets. I have wanted to give the guy the benefit of the doubt coming off two terrible seasons. He looked good on the field, but there is more to being the "face of the franchise" and Geno's attitude is one of entitlement and smugness. Here's to hoping Bryce Petty can take over next year.

Oh yeah I'm sure they're champing at the bit to reunite Geno and IK.

lol  We can only hope.  

I just put that there because off Rex' track record of dumb moves.  Tell me you can't see Rex on TV pontificating about how these two "young men" have worked out their differences and are now best buds.

The entire thing is just depressing.  We lose a promising young player (admittedly with anger issues) to a team in our division.   Our (previous) starting quarterback allows a situation to escalate that he could have easily defused (its called paying your debts) and as a result gets his clock cleaned, making the Jets once again look like Ringling Bros.  I can't.....

Oh well next man up.  It is the Fitz and Petty Show now.   

It shows geno's level of maturity has NOT significantly improved since last year when he supposedly couldn't tell time. Arm talent aside - which is really ALL he had to offer - the Jets MUST show that they have overcome the "circus atmosphere" Rex Ryan brought. Bowles will do it, but it won't happen overnight.

Archived