Your First Jets Game

JoeC36

Piggybacking off GOB's thread abut taking GOB Jr. to his first Jets game, got me thinking about my first game as well and thought it might be fun to share. 

Mine was Nov. 8, 1998 at Giants Stadium against the Bills. 

My father is a Giants fan, so he never got tickets for us to see the Jets. For this game, my first, he didn't even tell me that he got them. He told me on Saturday afternoon that I had to go to bed early because we had to be up early "for a surprise."

I got up and he told me to make sure I wore something Jets related -- which really wasn't an issue -- and we got in the van and I saw all the grill and the cooler in the back, but didn't put it all together. 

I remember pulling into the lot at Giants Stadium and seeing everyone grilling and playing football and fell in love. 

When I walked through the tunnel to our seats, I remember being overwhelmed from seeing all the fans, and man that first "JETS" was something that I cant even describe. 

The Jets won, and after the game we tailgating more and watched a game in the lot with one of the people parked next to us.

I should probably thank my dad tonight when I see him.  

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Piggybacking off GOB's thread abut taking GOB Jr. to his first Jets game, got me thinking about my first game as well and thought it might be fun to share. 

Mine was Nov. 8, 1998 at Giants Stadium against the Bills. 

My father is a Giants fan, so he never got tickets for us to see the Jets. For this game, my first, he didn't even tell me that he got them. He told me on Saturday afternoon that I had to go to bed early because we had to be up early "for a surprise."

I got up and he told me to make sure I wore something Jets related -- which really wasn't an issue -- and we got in the van and I saw all the grill and the cooler in the back, but didn't put it all together. 

I remember pulling into the lot at Giants Stadium and seeing everyone grilling and playing football and fell in love. 

When I walked through the tunnel to our seats, I remember being overwhelmed from seeing all the fans, and man that first "JETS" was something that I cant even describe. 

The Jets won, and after the game we tailgating more and watched a game in the lot with one of the people parked next to us.

I should probably thank my dad tonight when I see him.  

Great game, we crushed the Bills that day.

My first game was 1983, the final year at Shea, also against the Bills.  Unfortunately we lost that one on a late Joe Ferguson to Joe Cribbs TD pass but it is a special day I will never forget.

My first game was was also Rex's first home game. 2009 against the Pats. I been going to about 4-6 games a year since that day, and I cannot recall a game that was more loud and pumped than the one against the Pats in 2009.

The Monday Night against the Ravens was close, but I do not think it topped off the Pats game.

My first game was 1983, the final year at Shea, also against the Bills.  Unfortunately we lost that one on a late Joe Ferguson to Joe Cribbs TD pass but it is a special day I will never forget.

My first game the NY Titans crushed the Bills 27-3 at the polo grounds Sept 11 1960.. :winking0001:

October 1, 1989. went with my dad and his brother. I was 8 and remember it well because Eric McMillan set a franchise record on the day for longest INT return for a touchdown. There was also a ton of Joe Must Go chants throughout the game, and at one point I looked up at my father and asked "Hey Dad, who's Joe Musgo?" 34 years old and my pops and uncle still haven't let me live that one down.

I don't remember my first regular season game, but the first game I ever attended was in the preseason - Jets/Giants 8/23/86. They lost 20-16, after the Giants scored in the 4th quarter. The first regular season game I was supposed to go to was the Jets/Cowboys in '87, but that game took place during the strike, and my dad being a union man, wouldn't go see a team of scabs.

1984 vs Houston.  In the Astrodome.

We got there a few minutes late, Jets were up 10 or 14.  and lost.

And some drunk Texans kept spilling beer on my hear.  I was 11

Next year, saw the 85 Bears.  So cool to see them, I didn't even mind the Jets losing.

My first Jets game was December 26th, 1993. I was ten years old. We (my dad the Bills fan, my brother the Cowboys fan and myself the Jets fan) left early that morning from outside of Utica, NY and headed down the thruway to Buffalo and Rich Stadium. It was so cold and snowy that day that the windshield wiper fluid had frozen and we had to pull over a few times to throw snow on the windshield to clean it.

Even though we were dressed in multiple layers, we we're not quite ready for how cold it was to be that day after Christmas. Luckily, some women behind us took pity and shared their blankets. It was -12 with the wind chill, which if you know anything about Buffalo and Lake Erie, that's a pretty strong wind.

At halftime in the Bathroom, a drunk Bills fan said something about my Jets coat. My dad was having none of it. Who insults a 10 year old?

The Jets lost that day and we left before the game ended, but the Jets competed hard that day, which came in the middle of the Bills domination of the early 90s.

I've been to several Jets games since, most of them ending in losses, and even some on the sidelines covering the game, but I'll never forget the first one.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199312260buf.htm

My first Jets game was December 26th, 1993. I was ten years old. We (my dad the Bills fan, my brother the Cowboys fan and myself the Jets fan) left early that morning from outside of Utica, NY and headed down the thruway to Buffalo and Rich Stadium. It was so cold and snowy that day that the windshield wiper fluid had frozen and we had to pull over a few times to throw snow on the windshield to clean it.

Even though we were dressed in multiple layers, we we're not quite ready for how cold it was to be that day after Christmas. Luckily, some women behind us took pity and shared their blankets. It was -12 with the wind chill, which if you know anything about Buffalo and Lake Erie, that's a pretty strong wind.

At halftime in the Bathroom, a drunk Bills fan said something about my Jets coat. My dad was having none of it. Who insults a 10 year old?

The Jets lost that day and we left before the game ended, but the Jets competed hard that day, which came in the middle of the Bills domination of the early 90s.

I've been to several Jets games since, most of them ending in losses, and even some on the sidelines covering the game, but I'll never forget the first one.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199312260buf.htm

that's one of our worst losses.  Cary Blanchard kept missing FGs, had we won we would have made the playoffs that year.

My first game was a pre-season game against the Giants during Chrebet's rookie year....I didn't care that it was pre-season beuause it was my first game so I stayed until the end...Jets lost on a hail mary from Kent Graham to Omar Douglas IIRC.

How old am I?  ******* old.  October 22, 1972.  I was five.  Jets 24 - Colts 20.  Namath was 5-16 for 228! 

2-1-21-list_307x208.jpgNo. 4 Eddie Bell

Oct. 22, 1972. The Jets were down three in the fourth quarter when Joe Namath produced another startling defeat of the Baltimore Colts. This time, his weapon was a ninth-round draft pick named Eddie Bell, a 5-10 receiver from Idaho State. Namath completed just five passes all day but two were touchdowns, including the winner to Bell on an 83-yarder. Bell played six seasons in the NFL, hauling in 118 catches for 1,774 yards
and 12 touchdowns. His birthday is Sept. 13 -- the same date as the Stokley catch.

http://images.thepostgame.com/sites/default/files/2-1-21-list_307x208.jpg

How old am I?  ******* old.  October 22, 1972.  I was five.  Jets 24 - Colts 20.  Namath was 5-16 for 228! 

Pretty amazing fact about Namath against Baltimore that year.  In 2 games he completed 20 passes for 724 yds w/ 8 TDs.  36 yds per completion.

1968 at home vs Denver.

Had seats on the 35, 6 rows behind the Jet bench at Shea.

Players exited through the Met's dugout.

I was 10 years old, ran down to right above the dugout after the game to get close to the players.

Game was in November.

All the players were pale white with dry, weathered skin.

Except Namath.

He looked up at me after I called his name and all I remember were green eyes, the shaggy hair and the bronze tan.

Guy was a rock star.

I have been a Jet's fan ever since.

Had the chance to meet him in the late 80s.

Thrill of a lifetime.

Mine was I believe 1982, December, possibly January 83. Was in college at time, too much binge drinking. I am forgetful.  Green bay vs JETS.  Mild snow, fun day. I dont even remember the score.

Mine was I believe 1982, December, possibly January 83. Was in college at time, too much binge drinking. I am forgetful.  Green bay vs JETS.  Mild snow, fun day. I dont even remember the score.

if it was December it was probably 1981.  we finished the reg season vs. GB and clinched our first playoff berth since 1969 w/ the win.  we played them at shea again in '82 but I believe that was Nov.  the '82 game was a close one where I think leahy hit a late FG, the '81 one was a blowout.

I think it was 89. But NE. 6-3. Poring rain the entire game. It was awsome!

That sounds like 1991, the game we lost and fell to 7-8 but luckily Miami lost at SD that day and we would play Miami for a playoff spot the next week where we beat them and made the playoffs. 

94 vs. Vikings - Warren Moon threw for over 400 yds and lost (98 yd pick six) - Johnny Mitchell had an incredible game

Just remember my buddies who were Viking fans shaking their heads and saying "I can't believe we lost the Jets"

94 vs. Vikings - Warren Moon threw for over 400 yds and lost (98 yd pick six) - Johnny Mitchell had an incredible game

Just remember my buddies who were Viking fans shaking their heads and saying "I can't believe we lost the Jets"

we were playing well at that point of the season, we had a pretty good team.  I think Marcus Turner had 3 picks including the pick 6.  we always beat the Vikings(until last year).

Don't remember my first game. I went to a number in the dead of winter at Shea Stadium when my friend's mother and sister had no interest in attending and I was offered a seat. One really memorable game was a Jets loss, but O.J. Simpson rushed for 200 yards to become the first player to break 2000 yards rushing in the last game of the 1973 season.

if it was December it was probably 1981.  we finished the reg season vs. GB and clinched our first playoff berth since 1969 w/ the win.  we played them at shea again in '82 but I believe that was Nov.  the '82 game was a close one where I think leahy hit a late FG, the '81 one was a blowout.

That sounds like 1991, the game we lost and fell to 7-8 but luckily Miami lost at SD that day and we would play Miami for a playoff spot the next week where we beat them and made the playoffs. 

I cant remember.  I was driving back to college right after the game. November works as well as it would be right near Thanksgiving. I believe it was 1982, Sunday after Thanksgiving.

1990 Jets Cowboys.  Jets won 24-3 I believe.  Terrance Mathis returned a punt for a TD, think it was over 100 yds and set some kind of record at the time.  Don't recall if it was just a team record or a league/conference record.

I cant remember.  I was driving back to college right after the game. November works as well as it would be right near Thanksgiving. I believe it was 1982, Sunday after Thanksgiving.

Sounds like '82.

1990 Jets Cowboys.  Jets won 24-3 I believe.  Terrance Mathis returned a punt for a TD, think it was over 100 yds and set some kind of record at the time.  Don't recall if it was just a team record or a league/conference record.

the PR was 98 yards, it tied the record at the time but has since been broken.  That was the first time we ever beat Dallas.

My first game my father took me to Shea stadium; I think I was about 7; I don't remember that much of the game except that the Jets won and their was a late game interception.

My second game was between the Jets and the Giants (I think in the Yale Bowl) in 1974.  It was one of the first (if not the first) regular season overtime game.  The Jets won.  We had end-zone seats; and at one point, Joe Namath hobbled into the end-zone for a TD.  Pretty amazing.

Archived