What to do with Calvin Pryor?

Whatever man. You keep the faith. Do you know what faith is? Believing in something without the support of logic, reasoning, and evidence.

Pryor failed to show potential on even a single play last season. Not. One.

And again he was grossly misused by our HC . Playing him as a cover safety is like using an OL as a wide receiver.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And again he was grossly misused by our HC . Playing him as a cover safety is like using an OL as a wide receiver.

Even Jumbo Elliott caught a pass. Barely. Pryor should have accidentally made a play. But nope.

Even Reggie Tongue occasionally did something. And he was one of the worst safeties in Jets history.

Whatever man. You keep the faith. Do you know what faith is? Believing in something without the support of logic, reasoning, and evidence.

Pryor failed to show potential on even a single play last season. Not. One.

Sure, give me some more mumbo, jumbo philosophical whatever that has nothing to do with the guy was out of position in year one and we havent seen him in year two.  If that makes him like Gholston in your mind, good for you.  I don't see it.  Has nothing to do with faith.  No one is going to agree that you know what a player is after one year.

Sure, give me some more mumbo, jumbo philosophical whatever that has nothing to do with the guy was out of position in year one and we havent seen him in year two.  If that makes him like Gholston in your mind, good for you.  I don't see it.  Has nothing to do with faith.  No one is going to agree that you know what a player is after one year.

While playing out of position, he had a few pass deflections last season and recorded 60 combined tackles...I would say that is acceptable for a rookie who is not playing in a scheme or position he is used to...The kid is no superstar and he may never be but he really isn't as bad as everyone seems to want him to be. look at how other FS preformed last season statistically he didn't do that much worse, and drop the bs he takes bad angles and cant tackle, believe me he was not the problem that we had last season with our secondary.

While playing out of position, he had a few pass deflections last season and recorded 60 combined tackles...I would say that is acceptable for a rookie who is not playing in a scheme or position he is used to...The kid is no superstar and he may never be but he really isn't as bad as everyone seems to want him to be. look at how other FS preformed last season statistically he didn't do that much worse, and drop the bs he takes bad angles and cant tackle, believe me he was not the problem that we had last season with our secondary.

all things considered, along with his corners were shlt, he was ok.  He's unfortunately a reminder or Idzik - Rex and has joined that selection of players that some fans hate no matter what they do. 

yes, it does show

Ok, Its weird, I don't think it shows other people quoting other people. I tried to quote something you must have quoted from someone else earlier and it is showing up as if you said something. I don't like that, when I quote someone who I think is stupid it is going to make me look stupid to members who are not me or that individual.

The Kyle Wilson of 2014 - 

imagine if ANY of the azzwipes we've drafted in the 3rd round and up since 2010 to play in our backfield had been worth the powder to blow them to hell.

Well they're not.

I think our backfield will be the sore spot of the D even with Revis back and will cost us football games

Horrific drafting. Not bad - horrible.

The Kyle Wilson of 2014 - 

imagine if ANY of the azzwipes we've drafted in the 3rd round and up since 2010 to play in our backfield had been worth the powder to blow them to hell.

Well they're not.

I think our backfield will be the sore spot of the D even with Revis back and will cost us football games

Horrific drafting. Not bad - horrible.

Don't see the secondary as a problem on any level.  Think once we have the entire front playing together and doing their job the secondary is going to clean up

Yeah if the Jets could do the draft over again, and take Cooks, Hill, and G Jackson with their first 3 picks, then they could have dId what the Giants did this year, and traded up in Rd 2 to draft Landon Collins instead of drafting Smith (no I'll will towards Smith, just think Cooks, Hill, Jacksom, Collins >>Pryor, Amaro, McDougal, Smith).

Yeah if the Jets could do the draft over again, and take Cooks, Hill, and G Jackson with their first 3 picks, then they could have dId what the Giants did this year, and traded up in Rd 2 to draft Landon Collins instead of drafting Smith (no I'll will towards Smith, just think Cooks, Hill, Jacksom, Collins >>Pryor, Amaro, McDougal, Smith).

Or they could have done what the Rams did and taken a swing on Barron, I actually have some faith that Devin Smith is going to end up being pretty good and likely if we had Cooks on the roster we wouldn't have Devin. We all have the 20/20 hindsight and I understand there are a lot of Jet fans who wanted Cooks prior to the draft. The three players I wanted were Bridgewater, Dennard, Clinton-Dix but at the end of the day the pick was made and we have Pryor lets hope Bowels can get the kid right and look forward to our future with Macc who seems to put a good team together rather than being stuck on how terrible Idzik was.

Don't see the secondary as a problem on any level.  Think once we have the entire front playing together and doing their job the secondary is going to clean

I'd be giddy to be wrong about it

Or they could have done what the Rams did and taken a swing on Barron, I actually have some faith that Devin Smith is going to end up being pretty good and likely if we had Cooks on the roster we wouldn't have Devin. We all have the 20/20 hindsight and I understand there are a lot of Jet fans who wanted Cooks prior to the draft. The three players I wanted were Bridgewater, Dennard, Clinton-Dix but at the end of the day the pick was made and we have Pryor lets hope Bowels can get the kid right and look forward to our future with Macc who seems to put a good team together rather than being stuck on how terrible Idzik was.

I wanted Cooks or Clinton-Dix.  I was shocked by the Pryor pick considering every draft site I read on the net had Clinton Dix rated higher.

The Amaro pick in rd 2 I agreed with and he has lots of potential but he's been a cry baby.

he's got the speed

I remember hearing a scouting report from someone that read something along the lines of "usually the fast Wrs coming into the draft are track guys who can play football but Devin Smith is a football player that can run track."

He could make up for missing out on a WR last season

I wanted Cooks or Clinton-Dix.  I was shocked by the Pryor pick considering every draft site I read on the net had Clinton Dix rated higher.

The Amaro pick in rd 2 I agreed with and he has lots of potential but he's been a cry baby.

Amaro was pretty good last year as far as his target/reception ratio went. I am hoping he comes around too, I think at this point as a worst case scenario we got Richardson some depth players and Marcus Williams (who I think is going to end up being a stud #2 cb) out of the two years Idzik was with us. We could have done better sure, but other teams did worse than that in the past 2 seasons.

I remember hearing a scouting report from someone that read something along the lines of "usually the fast Wrs coming into the draft are track guys who can play football but Devin Smith is a football player that can run track."

He could make up for missing out on a WR last season

He made some good catches in Ohio st.   I would have preferred DGB in round 2 but Smith is also a good prospect.

He made some good catches in Ohio st.   I would have preferred DGB in round 2 but Smith is also a good prospect.

I think at the time D. Smith fit the system we were trying to implement a bit better and they probably didn't want to deal with the issues DGB might have brought to the table. I agree though I liked DGB better as a prospect than I liked Smith.

Brandin Cooks is going to go beast this season.  Yet another good player we took a pass on for this clown.  This may be our worst pick since O'Brien.

We totally disagree on Winston vs. Mariota.  But we can agree on this.  I was banging the table and screaming for Brandin Cooks in multiple threads.  Attacks the ball in the air with his hands and makes separation look easy and effortless.  But no...Idziot thought a safety that can't cover or tackle was a better option. 

And yet I get blasted by many JNers for not knowing anything.  I guess the Jets front office does know better...  smh.

We totally disagree on Winston vs. Mariota.  But we can agree on this.  I was banging the table and screaming for Brandin Cooks in multiple threads.  Attacks the ball in the air with his hands and makes separation look easy and effortless.  But no...Idziot thought a safety that can't cover or tackle was a better option. 

And yet I get blasted by many JNers for not knowing anything.  I guess the Jets front office does know better...  smh.

I guess Pryor sorta looked good last August in preseason folks on JI were starting threads about him winning ROY.   I'm going after Cooks in fantasy.

Forgetting future potential and draft status, etc. does anyone besides me think Miles might be a better starter than Pryor right now?  What he currently lacks in technique seems to be offset by his better instincts.  Pryor continues to baffle me.

Forgetting future potential and draft status, etc. does anyone besides me think Miles might be a better starter than Pryor right now?  What he currently lacks in technique seems to be offset by his better instincts.  Pryor continues to baffle me.

I think Miles and Jarrett are much better players than Calvin Pryor.   Much better.  And if Bowles is honest with himself and the team, they'll be starting over Pryor week 1.  The only thing keeping Pryor relevant is draft status.

I think Miles and Jarrett are much better players than Calvin Pryor.   Much better.  And if Bowles is honest with himself and the team, they'll be starting over Pryor week 1.  The only thing keeping Pryor relevant is draft status.

Even when he makes the correct read and doesn't overplay it, he doesn't make the tackle. It's frustrating to watch.

Even when he makes the correct read and doesn't overplay it, he doesn't make the tackle. It's frustrating to watch.

It is frustrating because he wasnt this way in college at all.  I hate taking a S in the first round too.  So this is just making it all the more worse.

He looks like he's a converted WR who's never had to tackle someone before.  I personally like Jarrett and would love to see him start opposite Gilchrist but Miles has passed Pryor in my eyes too and I'm very confused how the coaching staff hasnt come to this conclusion.  It's clear as day.

It is frustrating because he wasnt this way in college at all.  I hate taking a S in the first round too.  So this is just making it all the more worse.

He looks like he's a converted WR who's never had to tackle someone before.  I personally like Jarrett and would love to see him start opposite Gilchrist but Miles has passed Pryor in my eyes too and I'm very confused how the coaching staff hasnt come to this conclusion.  It's clear as day.

Trying to work that out as well, considering they don't seem to show favoritism towards anyone, why would they towards Pyror? Maybe it has something to do with scheme and getting players lined up, because it certainly doesn't seem to be based on play alone. 

Trying to work that out as well, considering they don't seem to show favoritism towards anyone, why would they towards Pyror? Maybe it has something to do with scheme and getting players lined up, because it certainly doesn't seem to be based on play alone. 

It's bizarre.  It's literally the easiest roster decision to make by simply watching how bad he is.

I was just looking at the coaching staff to see if there's a connection to Louisivlle or something...but there isnt or not one that I could find.  On a side note; did you know Marcell Shipp was our RB coach?  I remember that year he had a decade ago.

I mostly agree with this.  No SS in first round.  Idzik believed in BPA.  But, in reality, BPA has to consider the position.  I don't think you draft a G in the top 10 (let alone top 5);

This isn't 1985, you don't draft a SS in the first round.  A FS, maybe, but not a SS.

Bowles said himself, that much of pre-season is getting a chance to see what players can do and how they can do in different match-ups.

Clearly, Bowles/Mac aren't perfect, but I would imagine if Pryor makes the team it is because they like his potential, or we don't have much depth at S.  I would say that more telling will be how much Pryor plays in the 4Q on Thursday instead of how much he has played before.  Unless you are a QB playing for Ryan, getting time in Q4 of the last preseason game can't be a good sign.

I mostly agree with this.  No SS in first round.  Idzik believed in BPA.  But, in reality, BPA has to consider the position.  I don't think you draft a G in the top 10 (let alone top 5);

This isn't 1985, you don't draft a SS in the first round.  A FS, maybe, but not a SS.

Yep.  Agreed 100%.  But I dont think he was the BAP in that draft.  I liked the WR's better and it fit a huge need at the time.  

Yep.  Agreed 100%.  But I dont think he was the BAP in that draft.  I liked the WR's better and it fit a huge need at the time.  

Yeah, I was commenting on the drafting a S in the first round, but yes, wasn't blow away by him.  He had some commentators saying he was a good SS, but still.  I think Idzik was trying to make it up to Rex for not giving him any CBs (or Rex threatened to beat him to death).  Either way, glad Idzik is gone....

But agreed, bad to pick SS in 1st, better BPA as well.

Archived