Cro

GangisGreen

The good+upside of the signing:

1. it's only a year to year deal, like an annual franchise tag with no 20%/year escalator. 

2. Milliner is already out for the next 5-7 weeks (was 6-8 weeks, but that was 1 week ago). When he comes back literally no human is confident he will return for any reliable length of time (if he's even any good upon returning).

3. A couple nice plays aside (Williams did a nice job hanging onto an awful pass by an awful backup), the next 2 guys up didn't exactly look Revis-like against Greg Salas type talent.

4. Bowles clearly wanted him. Since Bowles last coached him in Arizona, Cromartie hasn't sustained any known injury that would make him any worse.

5. It's only August 14th. Cromartie isn't 25 anymore and may take an extra 1-2 weeks to get back into playing shape/rhythm.  He could also just be playing it safe to avoid injury in the preseason. Doesn't look good to us as fans, but it's understandable.

The bad+downside:

1. Just because we're not locked into him next season doesn't mean it's necessarily helpful to have an unworthy $8M CB this season (if he should prove to be such).

2. Any warm body is more valuable than a player who isn't playing. Walls is more valuable than Milliner while Milliner is injured. BFD.

3. Same excuse for Cro (it's early yet) goes double for players who don't have 1/10th Cro's experience. Particularly McDougle, who has hardly played for 2 years.

4. Liking a 30 year old player at $3M (2014) doesn't mean his 1 year older self is just as likable at $8M (2015).

5. I hate relying on faith. It has generally served me poorly thus far in my Jets fandom. And easing into things or not, he looked like crap. The leaders on the team are supposed to be the anchors and sure things, so long as they're healthy. Faith should not be required.

Contract side aside (since what's done is done), I generally like Cromartie. So I'll give it a while longer before I light my torch or re-grip pitchfork. But I've taken each out of the broom closet to keep them handy. :)

I dont really take anything in preseason games seriously, but i must say i am worried about cromartie. He looked awful last night and ot seems everyday in camp i am reading how he got torched by someone. I like cro but did we get the cro from 2 yeara ago?

Cro play well last year . So it's time for his down year . Just kidding .

He looked how the camp reports pretty much sounded tho

I am shocked that Cro did not get absolutely shredded playing opposite Peterson last season.

lol nah he played terrible the year he left . Which means he was due for a strong year . Which means he is now due for a poor year. Story of Cro career it's year to year

I'm trusting in Bowles that he won't leave him on Cromartie Island to get burned. Between Skrine playing some on the outside and some over the top safety help, I'm hopeful Bowles will scheme things correctly.  Everything I've seen so far suggests he's going to get picked on alot if he's just left out there one-on-one 

Harris's price was forced on our FO due to what was available & what the market cost was ... Basically if we didn't overpay him another team would have ... A much less significant version of what happened with Flacco to get his 20 mil per

cro stays around because he makes big plays

this defense desperately needs them

This has been true ... Revis is money ... However only idiot QB's even think about challenging him.

Cro has a history of gambling with his athleticism sometimes getting burned & sometimes making a big pick

In camp we've seen a lot of his bad side & very little of his good ... So come on SuperSperm Man ... Let's get it together!!!

I'm in the "not worried about Cro" camp. Read somewhere he has a routine of gradually getting ready for the season. He's not gonna be 100% in the preseason and there's no reason to worry. Sure he's gettin older and skills may decrease gradually, but dude is still a baller.

Besides, as others have said, the whole D was a mess last night. I'm sure they were playing vanilla, the whole D not even installed and guys don't know what they're doing yet.

Now if the defense looks like this for the 3rd preseason game, I'll worry.

Opposite 24 he's gonna get picked-on n beat a decent amount this season. But he'll also make big plays too. And if the guy has all of a sudden hit the end of his road (doubtful), we have depth at CB and Cro's contract is easy to get out of.

The worry is at QB not CB.

He will be covering #2 receivers this year, with Revis locking down opposing teams' #1 receivers. Much better situation than 2013, when he was covering #1 receivers, with Milliner on the other side. He won't be perfect, but who else were we going to put out there? If Skrine could outplay Cro, Bowles would start him, and have McDougle in the slot, regardless of salaries/contracts.

I remember Bowles saying at some point in the last couple days that Cro is the type of Vet player that gets better as camp and the season goes on.  That since he is a vet, he gets in his true football shape throughout camp.  Hopefully its not BS and we'll see at least the Cro from last year.  So far Bowles has been a straight shooter so hoping he's right about this.

He will be covering #2 receivers this year, with Revis locking down opposing teams' #1 receivers. Much better situation than 2013, when he was covering #1 receivers, with Milliner on the other side. He won't be perfect, but who else were we going to put out there? If Skrine could outplay Cro, Bowles would start him, and have McDougle in the slot, regardless of salaries/contracts.

Do we know that for certain? That Bowles won't have Revis playing just one side and that he'll follow the #1 WR no matter where he lines up? I really didn't notice vs Detroit, and don't know how he lined up Peterson/Cromartie in Arizona.

Do we know that for certain? That Bowles won't have Revis playing just one side and that he'll follow the #1 WR no matter where he lines up? I really didn't notice vs Detroit, and don't know how he lined up Peterson/Cromartie in Arizona.

More like Revis than like Sherman. Different than with Rex because Bowles puts more zones behind his blitzes but for the most part on the #1.

youre right, that's how demaryius Thomas went for 200+ off of Cro last year.

More like Revis than like Sherman. Different than with Rex because Bowles puts more zones behind his blitzes but for the most part on the #1.

He certainly did s Detroit. Didn't know if that was his thing or if he was just trying a little of his a little of hat because it's the preseason. But I really just paying attention to whether Revis generally stuck to one side no matter who lined up on that side.

I know he had Cro all last year but playing zone was never his strong suit.

Archived