Jets WR Jeremy Kerley felt 'weird' in unfamiliar backup role

Scoop24

1. Jeremy Kerley wasn't surprised that he was relegated to backup duty -- after all, he hadn't been practicing with the first-team offense in his usual slot role -- but he seemed a bit perplexed as to why it's playing out like this. He said it "felt really weird," speculating the new coaching staff still doesn't have a feel for him yet. He missed time during the offseason because of an Achilles' injury. "We have new coaches and they didn't get to see a lot of me," said Kerley, who had no receptions (two targets). Todd Bowles said he wanted to give Quincy Enunwa a look as the No. 3 receiver. Enunwa dropped his only target in the game. Kerley didn't want to make a stink. As he said a few times, "I'll let my play do the talking

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/53061/jets-wr-jeremy-kerley-felt-weird-in-unfamiliar-backup-role

Everybody getting a look at Slot WR except Kerley .. Smith, Owsu, Enunwa .

How much did IzDick give Kearly again? 4.2 mill per yr? Something nuts like that. The new regime might want to dump that awful contract.

I noticed the trend since the start of camp .. Decker was moved to the slot while Smith , Ouwsu and now Quincy was moved to the outside .. Could be just too add speed to Marshall and decker .

Or they could truly don't believe Kerley is a starting WR in this league which isn't that far fetched in my mind . I always thought he was a 4 or 5 on most teams .

How much did IzDick give Kearly again? 4.2 mill per yr? Something nuts like that. The new regime might want to dump that awful contract.

2.6 this year 3m next year, I think its actually a fair price for the kid who has not given us any spectacular jump up and down cheer plays but has been a reliable target for less than reliable QBs playing with him. After seeing that backup WRs last night though I wouldn't be quick to dump Kerley.

I noticed the trend since the start of camp .. Decker was moved to the slot while Smith , Ouwsu and now Quincy was moved to the outside .. Could be just too add speed to Marshall and decker .

Or they could truly don't believe Kerley is a starting WR in this league which isn't that far fetched in my mind . I always thought he was a 4 or 5 on most teams .

Kerley isn't very good.

Marshall has played in teh slot a lot during his career, I read somewhere. I think Gailey wants to be able to create mismatches. He's not what we're used to at OC and he's got more talented players than we're used to also, so he won't be restricted in how he deploys players.

if smith didn't get hurt, i thought there was a chance they would cut him. i thought there wasn't a guarantee in the contract but i have to check.  i like him though.  he has played well with crap qb.

i see 2015 is now guaranteed if i read the contract correctly  it's still not an expensive deal but i think he might be expendable next year.  

I actually really like Kerley in the slot.  He gets open, good hands.  Not a true burner, but a lot of slot guys are more quick than fast

Archived