Brandon Marshall on Mike&Mike: "Geno did nothing wrong"

nj meadowlands

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the run-up to training camp, new Jets receiver Brandon Marshall made a show of how much he wanted to connect with quarterback Geno Smith.

And while he has bitten his tongue with reporters in Florham Park in the week since Smith had his jaw broken by a punch thrown by a then-teammate, Marshall couldn't resist the chance to speak his mind when he got a chance to go on national television, as he is wont to do.

So it was again Monday morning, when Marshall made an appearance on FOX and had this to say, via the New York Daily News: "I was sitting right there and I would say this without going into too many details because we've already moved past it: Geno Smith did nothing wrong. He did nothing wrong. ... And that's all I'm going to say about that because we have to move forward and I don't want to be a distraction to our team, but Geno Smith did everything the right way."

This, of course, doesn't necessarily jibe with other reports that suggested a "smug" Smith baited linebacker IK Enemkpali into hitting him, or anonymous eyewitness accounts that said Smith "deserved" to get hit, or the cryptic reactions of head coach Todd Bowles and veterans like Darrelle Revis and Willie Colon, who all suggested Smith had played a part in the altercation by, at a minimum, allowing it to escalate.

In an interview over the weekend with NJ Advance Media, right tackle Breno Giacomini said he doesn't think the locker room is losing faith in Smith, who has since had to be told by the Jets not to throw footballs until doctors give him the OK to do so.

"I don't think so," Giacomini said. "That's our guy. Nobody's losing faith in nobody, especially in the locker room."

Marshall had tweeted a sad-face emoji in the aftermath of the Smith jawbreaker, which figures to sideline Smith for six to 10 weeks, after which Smith is not guaranteed to get his job back as the Jets' starting quarterback.

Marshall went on to explain why other Jets weren't quick to rush to Smith's defense.

"Because he's young," Marshall told FOX. "He's 24. It hasn't been his team. He's been in and out of the lineup the last couple years. There's been a lot of question marks. But I don't care about the past. I care about what he's done this offseason and OTAs and in camp and leading up to that day. To me, he's been a leader. He's getting better at it. It wasn't his team. He had to earn that and he still has to continue to earn that."

More Marshall: "People think it's a distraction. It is. It sucks. It was shocking. I'm very disappointed. I feel bad for the kid, because he was doing really good. But we have to move forward if we want to win. Geno knows that."

So basically it seems like some guys on the Jets have Geno's back, while others (at least anonymously) don't.

Dom Cosentino may be reached at dcosentino@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @domcosentino. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

Yeah way to go Marshall and Giacomini.  About damn time some guys in the lockerroom not hiding behind anonymity step up and support him.  I hope its true and that maybe this whole thing brings together a closer team.  I just hope and pray this isn't something that will linger or distract and pollute the locker room anymore going forward.  I still think Geno has a tough road of earning his job back still.

Marshalls story makes me wonder if I was right in believing Josina Anderson had the right facts about this story.

I'll take the public support over the anonymous one's who do not. 70+ guys in that locker room, you're not going to have everyone like you, regardless of who you are.  Also, lets not pretend that Ryan Clarke's information is coming from anyone other than Colon,

Why would it come from Colon and not IK himself?

I'll take the public support over the anonymous one's who do not. 70+ guys in that locker room, you're not going to have everyone like you, regardless of who you are.  Also, lets not pretend that Ryan Clarke's information is coming from anyone other than Colon,

Why would it have to come from Colon?  Read in a few places that IK works out at Clark's gym.  Odd..that's twice this week I've seen people randomly single out Colon as somebody feeding info to the media.

Why would it have to come from Colon?  Read in a few places that IK works out at Clark's gym.  Odd..that's twice this week I've seen people randomly single out Colon as somebody feeding info to the media.

Agreed, I said the same thing.  Makes more sense for it to be IK.  

Brandon Marshall, avatar of integrity, policeman of Geno's legacy.

If there's one guy on the roster you can rely on to vouch for what is and is not appropriate LR behavior, Marshall is your guy.

Geno haters only see things there way.  Heres a proven veteran coming out supporting Geno meanwhile the pussy teammates who are missing Rex Ryan ridicule him behind his back. 

Let's keep things in perspective though.  Marshall is not just his his teammate, he's his no. 1 receiver and roommate.  Not the most objective source.  To each his own, but I'm not going to dismiss the opinions of Revis and Bowles who both said Geno wasn't w/o blame.  They also said it immediately after the incident, not after having five or six days to think about what they'd like to say.

Sure he did.  He didn't pay his debts.  He didn't act like a leader acts.  He didn't defuse the situation.  

He basically did what he does on the field, mishandled the situation start to finish.

What Marshall, a documented nutbar and attention whore, thinks is utterly irrelevant and if he was so close to the situation, why the **** didn't HE step in, as a veteran leader and offensive player with a big mouth, and defuse the situation since Geno couldn't, eh?

Which would fall into the sucker punch category

Before any punch was thrown someone should have stopped it when the arguing started.. Ray Lucas said Geno should have paid him as soon as camp started and added some more money for his charity as well.. The bottom line is it never would have happened if Geno wasn't a A-hole..

Geno probably believed the whole "QB is untouchable" thing and so any punch, no matter how well deserved would be a sucker punch in that context.

Where on earth do people come up with "he gives us the best chance to win" line of BS?  Geno has two solid years in the books where he has been the worst QB in the NFL.  The worst.  Fitz is no Andrew Luck to be sure but by any objective measure he has to be better than Geno.

Fellaters gonna fellate I guess.

Geno probably believed the whole "QB is untouchable" thing and so any punch, no matter how well deserved would be a sucker punch in that context.

Where on earth do people come up with "he gives us the best chance to win" line of BS?  Geno has two solid years in the books where he has been the worst QB in the NFL.  The worst.  Fitz is no Andrew Luck to be sure but by any objective measure he has to be better than Geno.

Fellaters gonna fellate I guess.

Geno haters gonna hate no matter what. 

Geno haters gonna hate no matter what. 

We dislike his performances for our team.  He sucks.  Objective evidence and statistics demonstrate that he does indeed suck as a quarterback.  Now we have multiple incidents which seem to indicate that in addition to being a horrible quarterback that he is also a me-first complete douche bag.  So what is there about Geno to like?

What is the rationale for why you always seem to be about fifteen inches up his ass with every post you make? 

We dislike his performances for our team.  He sucks.  Objective evidence and statistics demonstrate that he does indeed suck as a quarterback.  Now we have multiple incidents which seem to indicate that in addition to being a horrible quarterback that he is also a me-first complete douche bag.  So what is there about Geno to like?

What is the rationale for why you always seem to be about fifteen inches up his ass with every post you make? 

He gives us the best chance to win best QB on the roster. 

46 years and counting. 

GFY on the personal attack.

Like it's already been said, Geno isn't just Marshall's teamate, but his roomate--and possibly closest friend on the team. While I would love for Geno to be completely innocent in this and show that he's matured, I have to trust in Bowles reaction in that Geno was at least partially responsible. Is Marshall simply sticking up for Geno because they're close? Or, perhaps, Geno HAS been more mature and a better leader since Marshall has been here. So maybe Marshall sees one small incident on Geno's record and is giving him extra slack, while the rest of the team sees one additional incident piled on top of all his previous ones from the past two years. Maybe the rest of the team--Bowles included--holds Geno to a higher standard, given his past behaviors. Perhaps their reaction is: "Here we go again".

I have to say, I do like that Marshall and Breno have come out publicly to support Geno, and I always put more stock in public comments than anonymous ones, but come on, does anyone really think that players are going to come out publicly and say: "Yeah, Geno's a douche"? They don't want to do that to the team, and they don't want to do that to Bowles. It wouldn't solve anything, but create more distraction and more headlines. They don't need that extra negativity, hence the anonymous comments (though I have a hard time believing any anonymous comments from Mehta).

If not for the reactions of Bowles, Mangold, and Revis, I would fully believe and support Geno's innocence.

What Marshall actually said on Mike and Mike this morning was that Geno didn't do anything wrong 'that day'. And he repeated the statement that Geno did not get in IK's face.

Hard to know what to believe. But it is pretty weird that everyone wants to dismiss Bowles while repeating Ryan 'best buddies with IK' Clarke's report.

At the end of the day though, it's not a good look for Geno. And I think the coaching staff is annoyed enough with him that if Fitz can provide adequate QB play, that Bowles will ride the vet

Archived