Sign in to follow this  
Bugg

Semi-Official Concert Review Thread

Ive seen zappa plays zappa twice this year. Very good.....not great though in fact theres a local zappa tribute band thats been around for 20 years called bogus pomp who are more authentic (they have a vibes player).

just saw warren haynes sunday with his new band....good stuff. This weekend im going with the rv to hulaween looking forward to dumpstafunk, joe russos almost dead, papadisio, lettuce, and they new kings of prog, TAUK

On February 15, 2016 at 6:02 PM, southparkcpa said:

I felt that way when I went to see RUSH for what we believe is the last tour. I got back stage passes from a golf instructor client who has given lessons to Alex, Got a  VIP pass and had wine with Alex and Geddy.  Was VERY fukkin surreal.

Very jealous

• Upvote 1

On August 24, 2015 at 11:45 AM, southparkcpa said:

BIG FAN... Have seen them many times.  Here are 2 pics of me back stage. one is ON stage pre-show in front of the kit.  Thats me next to Geddy.

599188_4820193151125_1439651603_n.jpg

69536_4820193311129_348120310_n.jpg

I would have died and gone to heaven. Hey look, a 3/4 shirt 

On February 25, 2016 at 11:54 PM, southparkcpa said:

I saw RUSH in 1979 at the Palladium in NYC.  Hemispheres tour. Fantastic. . Have seen them at least 10 times.

Wow. Hemispheres to me is quintessential Rush. Thats awesome.

actually my first real concert was Rush at the garden....subdivisions tour. I remember walking through the tunnel and seeing rory gallagher opening and thinking that this was the coolest minute of my life .......and ive never even hear of them.

funny thing though. I find that subdivisions was the last of the "great" Rush album. It kinda went downhill after that with a few spotty exceptions. I started going backwards from there as far as their catalog is concerned

Thats crazy. The sound man for my pink floyd tribute band was their monitor mixer guy on all the worlds a stage tour. Hes in the credits. He told me geddy was a douche but alex and neil were awesome. A few years back he went backstage and said he would try to get me in to meet everyone but it just didnt materialize. I was so pumped and then deflated. Im not one to care to meet famous musicians but rush is an exception. 

Alexes tastiest solo ever, to me, is the little diddy he plays quietly in la villa stragiatto, just before the gain gets turned up and he starts to wail out. I dont know what it is but the feel and emotion in that quiet part is minimal but speaks volumes on how tasy he is

On March 2, 2016 at 0:49 AM, isired said:

Saw them at the Garden Thursday night, I was stunned at how good they sounded. Ozzy sounded as good as I remember (last saw him live in the late 80's) and Iommi was great, set list was great, Butler was great. I guess I was expecting the set list to be great, but otherwise I wasn't expecting to be impressed. I was very pleasantly surprised, and it was obvious from the first notes that it was going to be a great night.

Ive always for years heard that ozzy has a lil friend behind the stage that helps with vocals. Id love to know the truth

Just came back from aurafest this weekend. Good times.... A few notes:

Turkauz (sic) was fabulous. Great guests popping in on stage too

Snarky puppy - phenominal musicianship....huge band

the New Deal - wasnt familiar with them but i was in the 3 rd row and they were really good

Pink Talking Fish - what an interesting concept. Play the best, but not the most popular mixes of pink floyd, talking heads and phish. These guys did shine on you crazy diamond and dogs. Nuff said. Then in the middle of dogs, they bust into once in a lifetime, back into dogs second half. Good stuff

but the real surprise:

Pidgeons Playing Pingpong - always liked their albums but holy ****in sh*t were they a pleasant surprise. First off, great sound and light show. They were loud as hell but crispy clear. Even though they are a funk babd, they almost reminded me of a metal band with how technical they were but played everything with passion and confidence. They made it look so easy. The singer was a total entertaining wackjob. They would switch parts up, gets into super tight dynamics and really knew how to create moody atmospheric sections. Those boys are masters of their wah and envelope filter pedals. A good cd band, but one of the best live funk bands hands down

funk is a weird thing.....created by black folks, but no black folks go to see it or care anymore its just crazy white kids lol

17 hours ago, CTM said:

PTF is a lot of fun, the are starting to attract a pretty big following too, I believe they sold out Brooklyn Bowl. 

And I had the same reaction to PPP, first time I saw them in a tiny bar in Philly and they were a lot better than I was expecting. They recently played the Saint but I missed that, they are around a few times a year.

What about Biscuits? How was Heavy pets playing the 80's set?

The heavy pets were really good. They weren't on the musicianship level of most others but still really good. they did.....lets see...

In your eyes (too fast and weak)

rock the casbah (rocked)

another one bites the dust (had some fun buddy butcher the vocals but it was comical)

I ran (super rocking)

Play on me

end of the world as we know it (great version to end)

The biscuits....well after lots of partying went back to the motorhome to grab a bite and drink but wound of banging the gf and going to sleep) lol

What do you mean? The stuff off roots sounded bad because max wasn't playing?

Wane 2017 report:

blackberry smoke real good

les Brers probably the best show. Unreal guitar work by jack Pearson

turkauz was amazing

papadosio was real good

panic was so so, as usual

missed govt mule and trey

pink talking fish fun as usual

pink talking fu closed it and rocked out the tributes. The turkauz hotties sat in

finally, bob weir. I have to say I was surprised how good he sounded. Came out solo both nights for a few tunes. On Saturday night trey came out and they did a few duo acoustic tunes.....I miss you....Cassidy...million reasons.....then the band came out and busted into a great shakedown street.

i was in the first to 10 rows back for all these shows.

wanee is THE BEST

• Upvote 1

On 8/22/2015 at 11:41 AM, slats said:

Saw the Who at New Orleans Jazz Fest. They were much better than I expected. Daultry still belts it out. The dude playing the drums is much more Moon than Rogers. Entwistle is much missed, however.

Recently saw Zappa Plays Zappa at the Beacon, and if you're a fan, they're well worth the price of admission. Dweezil can Really play guitar, and he bring out other great guitarists to light a fire under each other. The guy doing the Zappa vocals is spot on, too. Plan to make this an annual thing.

Have a few shows coming up in the fall. Joe Jackson, Robyn Hitchcock, Tame Impala... Let's see how this thread goes and I'll report back.

Seen zpz a few times. Always good

My orange blossom jam 2017 review:

1. Th stereo type-never hear of em but good instrumental jam heavy keyboards

2. Unlimited devotion- a dea tribute band. Pretty good, but not superb

3. Applebutter express- kicked ass. Really catchy songs wouldnt be surprised they rise a bit in the country scene. 

4. Savi fernadez band had a strong set

5. Holey miss moley- i dunno, i like em but this time they got i to rapping a bit. Too much rap. Wtf? 

6. The heavy pets- wow really surprised. Did a superb "fearless" cover by pink floyd. Very fun

7.grass is dead-a bluegrass dead tribute that killed it. At this poi t i was really wasted and singing too much

Obj is a gkod little cheap festival. Byob

Lol sucks getting old.... 

Youre right though a lot of good things will die out with their generation. 

My friend was there and hated it. Some people hate jams they want singing. 

How bad could it be? Trey and derrick jamming? Lol id watch for hours with a bag of shrooms.

glad to see yoko silenced for a while

Im going to my third one. Cant wait. The pre party is off the chain. Reviews to follow

IMG_0160.PNG

Jake dillinger of UM is one of the most bad ass players out there. He does so many little touches so well. Sorry the sound was bad but UM kick ass. Ive seen em a bunch 

i cant believe kings x can even be mentioned in their company but to each their own

ever hear of TAUK? One of my favs modern jam fusion no vocals they are from cold springs harbor. Maybe not the best video but ...

On 10/21/2017 at 1:09 PM, The Crimson King said:

UM consists of two excellent guitarists, a great keyboard player, a decent bassist, an average drummer and a so-so percussionist.

The bass player, playing a boutique bass (might have been a Fodera) was way too loud and not well defined. plus played at the top of the neck way too much. He had a huge pedal board. I love pedals, but c'mon man, for a bass?

(unless it is Robert Fripp, of course). 

You wouldn't notice this from the football side of this board but I think the younger generations are quite happy with bad product and mediocre performance. 

UM has 1 PHENOM guitarist, 1 sloppy rythem guitarist that has poor vocals, great kb player, very solid drummer and a very solid and tadty percussionist.

robert frip is all effects. I love him but hes over rated and gimmicky.

i applaude the youngsters for following UM and Tauk versus hip hop.

dude it was a bad show ( they happen) with bad sound. Next time....

More TAUK.  .....because they are sexy and from long island. And i was at this show

• Like 1

And now i review my own band. Daytona beach bandshell. 5000 people. For floyd fans only

• Like 2

Thanks. 

No mostly fl and ga. We get nice offers to fly out once in a while but theres always one or two crybabies that dont want to. 

We also do a complete 22 minute echoes and sheep :)

20 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

I thought that was very cool being that most people only seem to know Dark Side and the Wall. You could be my hero of the month

Anything from Ummagumma? :)

Set the contols and astronomy 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CTM said:

jake cinninger* (assuming that was auto correct?) and he's too choppy/ showy for me 

No i just messed his name up . I was close 

Well im back from 4 days of hulaween. Sadly, i didnt see nearly as much as i wanted as i had to spend rv time with my gf who is a casual music fan but here goes a few things:

Umphreys Mcgee- i feel that thecrimsonking cursed me here. I was center and about 16 rows back. The sound was awful......muddy bassy no crisp mids or highs. When i squeezed up 5 or 6 rows, or back 20, it was a night and day difference. Either way, a nice set. Off to....

Joe Russos Almost Dead- This is my fav dead tribute, moreso than even the dso. I was feeling great in front of joe about 8 rows back. I cant remember what the first 2 songs were but they were heavenly, then my casual music loving gf "had" to go back to camp.....

i stayed at camp and missed UM second set and J R second set. I was mad. We had a meeting about how things are going to go for now on at music festivals.

friday-

dumpstafunk- another great funk set. Always fun. Sounded fantastic. You couldnt not dance

the nth power bob marley set- wow this was a surprise. Ive seen these guys a few times and always dug em, but the best part was that they had, what i believe might have been, 2 genuine marley back ground singers. They were old, jamaican, and sounded just like the chicks on the albums. They danced, we danced. Secondly, they played maybe 1 or 2 songs off legend. The rest were the deep cuts. Of course my casual music fan gf kinda didnt like that, but i loved it.

bluesky greengrass- nice fun band. Always good

the resolvers- never heard of them, but they were excellent. Only proves that the best music comes from new orleans today (dumpstafunk, galactic). I got a free sticker so i was happy. Its on my rv now

string cheese incident- always a great band. Strong set. I love their ability to got total bluegrass to real funk.

lettuce- i missed em thursday because it took 2 hrs to get in and find camp, but they were superb. A must see

disco biscuits- i came late and was far....plus i was wasted but they were in total disco mode and euveryone was dancing. Lots of fun. I stumbled home. I fell a few times too

saturday

Aqueous- this was THE surprise show. I liked em on jam on radio, but never saw em live. These guys, i dont know what to say. Their songs are great, their musicianship is off the charts, they do great covers too. The lead guitarist is phenominal. He wails out so tasty and never misses a single note. On top of that, they are total masters of effects. There are constant time changes, parts switched up and then sound shifts. Just brilliant. Must see

Parker urban band- never heard of em. From florida. Great set. 2 black female singers and a good percussionist. Worth mentioning

string cheese theme set- finally, the cover set. The theme was love, and every song had love in title. Turn on your love light, love is what i got, love to love you baby etc. my casual fan gf loved it and so did i. The chinese guitarist is very good

ok now, my casual music fan gf wanted to end the nightseeing damian tuff gong marley on the main stage. I am unfamiliar with him, but another band called Spafford was on a smaller stage. I KNEW id rather see spafford, just because i can read between the festival lines, but i gave in. Damian marley BLEW. It was a dickhead convention. To make matters worse, damian preached about politics and marijuana between songs which drove me insane. He was preaching to the choir, its was just lame. I tolerated 3 or 4 songs, took my gfs hand and told her she went where i decided to go because i knew more than her.

we stumbled on to Spafford, which was indeed fun. They were doing their full band dancy  techno trip out thing ala disco biscuits and it was really good. I dont remember much except how much i hated wasting time to see bobs total loser son.

we rode bikes home. She fell i did not.

Ive only heard stuff off sirrius jam on and took notice. Then i saw em....stand by

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Goign to see them on Jam cruise in January, they used to be talked about as the up and coming band on the jam scene but Spafford seems to have gotten more popular. Looking forward to catching them

Jam cruise nicccceeee. 

Yea they were both good. Not a competition enjoy! 

On 11/25/2017 at 2:11 PM, Bugg said:

Clarke is a great bassist. But he ain't John Entwistle, period, full stop, end of story.

Really? Ypu must be a huge who fan. 

Im a fan or neither but i respect both. However, clark is in another universe talent wise. Entwistle is a rock bassist...... Its minor league stuff compared to stanley clark material

• Upvote 2

On 2/25/2018 at 9:27 AM, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Pestilence in Dublin last night, for the first time ever. They were supposed to play here on the Testimony of the Ancients tour in 92, supporting Death, but owing to Tony Choy being a lazy idiot without a visa, it never happened.

Last night was billed as the first four albums tour, and for a guy who's said time and time again he's not over enthusiastic about playing the old stuff, Patrick Mameli had a blast, as did everyone. Great night, and them playing five songs off Testimony was the icing on the cake.

Thats cool i remember the visa incidemt lol

Attended Wanee 2018:

1. St Paul and the Broken Bones - good stuff, very different than what I expected....a lil trippy here and there

2. Pink Talking Fish - Did their usual gimmick that I love. This year they added allman Bros tunes to their floyd/phish/heads thing. "Dogs" going into "midnight Rider" was wayyy cool.

3. Pigeons Playing Ping Pong - They did a 230 to 430 slot, but should have done the midnight closer. This is one of the best young bands out there if you like jam/funk/electronica. So interesting to watch these guys have a ton of fun laughing and smiling the entire set

4. Carl Dennison - Did a midnight allman set. superb.

Lol lacking in substance? They write great fun songs  you have to sing along to.... They funk it out like  they were black... They can go off on deadly, trippy dance jams like no other

Ok.... We can agree to disagree 

On 5/3/2018 at 1:31 PM, The Crimson King said:

Another great show by Brand X last night. Virtually the same band and review as posted last year a page or two ago, except now Goodsall used a Tele.

They are at the Iridium this weekend so if you like musicianship, you must go see these guys

What I wanted to report on this time is the venue ... Daryl's House. Can't tell you how impressed we were. Tiny place, free parking, just over the Duchess County border in Pawling. The food was so good and reasonably priced that we would go there just as restaurant. Great server and even reasonably priced wine and scotch. Poppy Chubby is coming soon but most of the lineup are vocal based musics. We will be watching for more shows here. Sure beats going to the city.  

Also:

************************************* CONCERT ALERT ************************************************

Al DiMeola doing electric at Ridgefield  

https://ridgefieldplayhouse.org/events/al-di-meola/?mc=reload

He'll also be at Town Hall in the City on 6/30 and the Egg in Albany on 6/29 

************************************* CONCERT ALERT ************************************************

One more thing if you excuse the indulgence:

A moment of silence for my beloved JV-1000, which finally looks kaput after almost a quarter century. After the appropriate mourning period, the FA-08 might look good where the JV has lived all this time :)

Poor jv..... 

I have a jv90 with the keyboards of the 60s 70s card. Lotsa sounds still hold up today

• Post of the Week 1

Haha its not like those japanese roland manuals are easy to figure out. I still take forever to find patches!

at least the new one will have nice screen i assume

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company