Sign in to follow this  
Bugg

Semi-Official Concert Review Thread

Saw Helloween and Rage in London last week. First time seeing Helloween since a freezing night in Farmingdale 12 years ago, and first time seeing Rage. Fantastic show. Though why oh why do bands do that medley crap.

942804_970126486367383_47220689670359713

Decent crowd too, bigger than I expected.

Next up? Suicidal this weekend. Followed by Exodus in a couple of weeks, then a couple of days after that by Sabaton, then there's Amorphis, Moonspell, Overkill, and Blind Guardian over the following few weeks. Gonna be busy...

Sabaton and Machine Head both played Dublin last night. Guess which one I went to?

alestormsabaton.jpg

As you can see, slightly different attitudes towards stage sets, Sabaton's tank vs Alestorm's giant rubber duck... Performance wise though, both brilliant, along with the opening act. Great night.

Machine who?

Overkill in Dublin last night. Typical Overkill show, ie abso-f**kin-lutely on fire.I still think they're the best live band on the planet, and last night's set? Because of the big anniversary show they're doing in Germany in a few weeks, it was mainly Feel the Fire and Horrorscope stuff.

Metal Church were in London Tuesday night. I'd never seen them before, Mike Howe back singing for the first time in over 20 years. Just brilliant. A few songs off the new album, the rest almost all the classics. Amazing night.

CiNAuMLWwAAodRp.jpg

Two support acts, one Dutch thrash band who were damn good, if a little derivative, the other some Belgian band who were meh.

Blind Guardian in Dublin for the first time in ten years. Another great show, the band were class, but the support act? Gloryhammer. Holy f**k, one of the most mental things I have ever seen. Sebastian Vettel's deranged cousin dressed up as some sort of discount Chinese knockoff Iron Man, guitarist who appeared to be a medieval squire, an evil wizard wannabe on keyboards, singing songs about hammer wielding space unicorns invading Dundee (I think).

And most unbelievable of all, it worked. They were excellent. But then Blind Guardian came along and blew them away.

Last night summed up in one word.

SSSSSLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and Anthrax were brilliant too.

Vektor made it to Dublin this week and played the new album in its entirety. Which, considering just how good that album is, went down a storm. The only disappointments was that the sound could have been better and some technical issues delayedthe start, meaning I had to leave before the end. Other than that, no complaints.

Support acts were pretty good, local thrash band and an English band who clearly love the entire early 1990's Florida scene - especially the more technical of those bands (Cynic, Atheist, late era Death, etc).

Kreator and Sepultura in Dublin this week. Pretty good, Sepultura were better than I expected, some of the classics, and the post Cavalera-era stuff didn't sound bad at all - but the stuff from Roots stuck out like a sore thumb. Dunno why people want the classic lineup to reunite anyways, Max Cavalera has turned into something that looks like a homeless bum that stumbles up on stage, jumps up and down a bit with a guitar with two strings missing, and wanders off.

Kreator were damned good, though too much stuff from the 2000s, as evidenced by the way the place went apesh*t when they finished off with the really old and fast stuff.

17076998_1905786269641477_48172636230280

• Upvote 2

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:22 AM, HighPitch said:

What do you mean? The stuff off roots sounded bad because max wasn't playing?

The stuff off Roots sounded bad because it was the stuff off Roots. :lol:

Sonata Arctica last week weren't bad, way too much slow stuff from the last couple of albums though. Band of the night were the opening act, Striker. G

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 2:17 PM, HighPitch said:

See i lik roots personally although its a lil departure from metal

Lil departure from metal, big departure from decent Sepultura music. it's where Max lost the plot, and sadly, never found it again. It's probably in a shampoo bottle at his house...

Sacred Reich in Dublin, Sunday night, 30th anniversary of Ignorance tour. Basically the same setlist they've been playing for the past god knows how many years, long past time for a new album. And War Pigs needs to be dropped for one of their own songs.

Apart from that, bloody brilliant. And the support act, Animator were razor sharp.

Alestorm in Dublin Friday night. Sold out, loads of people dressed as pirates, and a giant inflatable rubber duck headbanging to Bohemian Rhapsody. And that even before the band appeared.

Great set, the band were on fire, and finishing with over a thousand people singing along with the sombre ballad that is F**ked with an Anchor.

What more could you want? Sheer magnificent lunacy.

Pestilence in Dublin last night, for the first time ever. They were supposed to play here on the Testimony of the Ancients tour in 92, supporting Death, but owing to Tony Choy being a lazy idiot without a visa, it never happened.

Last night was billed as the first four albums tour, and for a guy who's said time and time again he's not over enthusiastic about playing the old stuff, Patrick Mameli had a blast, as did everyone. Great night, and them playing five songs off Testimony was the icing on the cake.

Tuesday night, Epica in Dublin. Jam packed, but a very good set, surprised the bouncing going on during the last song didn't cause structural damage to the venue. Myrkur, the support act should be marketed as a cure for insomnia, though.

Last night, The Crown. Hadn't seen them since a brilliant show in L'Amour in 2002. They'd split up, reformed, and proceeded to release a couple of piss poor albums. New one came out last month, a big improvement, but the combination of the general feeling about the last couple of albums, and the fact the show was only announced a couple of weeks ago, meant an extremely small attendance, and the show being moved to a smaller venue, one which had an earlier curfew. So just over an hour, throw in the bassist having to stay in Sweden owing to a family emergency, and it had all the makings of a disaster.

It wasn't. Most of the set was from the classic late 90's - mid 2000's era, with a few off the current album, and all at breakneck speed. Just the way it should be. A great night.

Overkill, Destruction, Flotsam & Jetsam at the Academy, Dublin. Been waiting over thirty years to see Flotsam, didn't disappoint. Erik AK's voice is still as great as ever, and to finally hear No Place for Disgrace live, and then Suffer the Masses was just a bonus. New stuff sounded great too.  Destruction were enjoyable, surprisingly, last time I saw them they were sloppy as hell, not this time. Overkill? Nothing different, they just did that best live band thing in the world they've done for years. Blitz was Blitz. Great setlist, old and new, but wasn't expecting them to play Welcome to the Garden State, but it worked. Hell of a night, only nitpick was I would have had the Flots ahead of Destruction on the bill.

Toxik at the Kingsland on Friday night, simply amazing. Thirtieth anniversary of the release of Think This. Josh Christian is still an amazing guitarist, and the new guy they got on vocals is up there with the guys they had in the past.

Only downsides were nothing off the current release, and the fact it was supposed to be over by 11.30. I got there at 7 and discovered that the venue had added some local bands ("Cos it was Friday night") and lo and behold, Toxik weren't due on until 11.30.  So I sat in the bar and watched the baseball. 

Still, as I said, amazing. In addition to Think This, they played nearly all of World Circus too, total 80's thrash metal bliss. Another band off the bucket list. Only been waiting since I first heard Heart Attack on a compilation back in 88.

The Bay Strikes Back tour in the National Stadium in Dublin.

AKA Testament, Exodus and Death Angel.

How was it? My neck is still f**ked. Seriously though, all three bands on form, and it's great to see Holt back in Exodus.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company