Semi-Official Concert Review Thread

Bugg

So far-

The Who in AC and again at Barclays. A great stage show, a great band, and a pile of great songs to choose from. This is not the band I saw in 1979 at MSG, but still very solid.Slight downside is they are more wedded to the lights and videos than they were back then, but that's a small complaint. SHould note no venue lets any band play past 11PM unless the band wants to start paying the venue. SO playing until 1AM like GNR or any other of the big time bands is a thing of the past. 

Billy Joel at MSG. Guy looks really old (older than Townsend or Daltrey who are both older) but he can still power  through a 2+ hour set of tons of hits. 

Van Halen at Jones Beach. Eddie Van Halen does a few solos that save the show. He and his son also do the backing vocals, which is a very good thing. Because DaviD Lee Roth is SHOT. Often  he doesn't bother to sing at all, letting the audience and Wolfgang and Eddie handle the choruses, and he sticks the mike into the audience every song. When he tries to sing, it's awfulness, like a bad kareoke DLR. No wonder they are not selling out. 

Jason Aldean and Kenny Chesney at the craphole last weekend; a good time. 58,000 very drunk white people partying to some decent country Looking forward to a similar experience at  Zac Brown Band at new Shea this evening. 

Also saw Miles Kennedy and the Conspirators featuring Slash in May at the Starland. Good news/bad news; Slash is tremendous, but the new music gets short shrift in favor of GNR(done very well, better than the Axel cover act for certain), and nobody is gonna tell him a 20 minutes solo gets boring real fast. SImply Slash is not Eddie Van Halen. A decent show. FUnny that he is so used to playing huge arenas and stadiums that he roams the small club stage with impunity like it's the Rose Bowl that he bumps into his bandmates all night. 

• Thumb Down 1

ZBB was great. Managed to have a fiddle medley of Kashmir into the Devil Went Down to Georgia. I'm countried  out for a while.

Might be going to Joe Jackson. 

• Upvote 2

Zack Starkey is the road drummer for the Who. He also still tours with Oasis. His dad is Ringo Starr.Often said Ringo was not the best drummer in the Beatles, and he's not even the best drummer in his own family. As it happens Ringo was great friends with Keith Moon and there are photos of Moon giving young Zach some pointers all over the web. 

BIG FAN... Have seen them many times.  Here are 2 pics of me back stage. one is ON stage pre-show in front of the kit.  Thats me next to Geddy.

599188_4820193151125_1439651603_n.jpg

69536_4820193311129_348120310_n.jpg

Saw the great Rush doc on AXS a few months back. Neil Peart is adamant that he won't do those meet and greets, and even some musicians who did meet him  found him kinda off putting. But clear he is simply a very private person rather than a jerk. Rough quote-Peart  loved Keith Moon and the WHo, but to meet them is too intrusive, obnoxious and he couldn't imagine doing it. To him, his music is enough. 

Don't recall summer tickets going on sale 10 months in advance, but money is moneyTickets for the summer leg of Black Sabbath's really last final tour forever go on sale Saturday, presale right now if you have a citibank card. 

Kenny Chesney at metLife go on sale for his paid fan club 11/11, the free fan club 11/13, general public 11/20.

http://kennychesney.com/fanclub/

Disguising that on line "after market" scalper scumbags have tickets to both already. did any PSL people get MetLife offers, or was that another BS piece of ...Jets quality marketing? 

Saw Halestorm with Lita Ford at Webster Hall ( a complete dump of a place) last Wednesday. Halestrom is freaking awesome; what a voice. .

Lita Ford is okay.

Word of advice for both bands-your drummer is great. But the 7-10 minute long (LONG!) drum solos are the most boring thing on earth. 

One exception to drum solos being not fun-

Took in 3 shows this week-

Black Sabbath at Jones Beach-a really tight band. Geezer and Iommi are great, the sub drummer is outstanding.Suspect the band is not heartbroken old and not well Bill Ward is gone.  Ozzy is Ozzy. Heck, he's better than David Lee Roth by a bunch. And he has a sense of humor and he loves what he is doing. If you go back to the 70s, and you would not  expect the Prince of Darkness to say "God bless you" 45 times a night and thank the audience profusely. A fun night.But an older and more mellow crowd than I expected. 

Zac Brown Band, Citifield- great show, tight band. Not a lot of bands, in addition to an excellent collection of country and party tunes, can cover The Who, Frank Sinatra, Van Morrison and John Mellencamp. In a way Brown is being held back for mainstream superstardom because he's so hard to fit in a box. To the idiots that run the Mets-if you sell out a concert hire more than 5 ticket takers, sheetheels. Absolutely insane that a good chunk of the audience weren't able to get in for the start only because this stadium is run so cheaply. 

Miranda Lambert and Kenny Chesney, Metlife-were busy partying did not see Old Dominion nor Sam Hunt. Solid show. Both seem a little too polished. Without looking at setlist.com would bet they both run through the same songs in exact order the whole tour. For all his talent, Chesney is a very odd duck. Lambert has that crazy girl eye thing going on. Proof that no matter how hot the woman,there is some guy some where who has had enough of her BS. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I really want to go see "Pete Townshend's Quadrophenia" at the Met in September.  But just like most rock shows these days, ticket prices are crazy.  Pete's 72 now so really want to catch the show which might be the last staging with him.  But even cheap seats with parking and the rest is going to run like $700.  Maybe I'd do it if Keith and John were alive.  But I can't justify spending all that coin. Fuk this world.

The same exact show with Alfie Bowe and Billy Idol recorded at Royal Albert Hall about 2 years ago runs on AXS from time to time. It's kinda fun, but understand it' more orchestra than Townsend anyway. it's a bit odd to see one guy with a guitar and an orchestra. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/27/2017 at 6:30 PM, T0mShane said:

I saw Dave at Saratoga Performing Arts Center, back to back nights. I've never been to a Dave show. The first night was cool; he's cool and is passionate about his music. The second night, the crowd was loaded with dudebros and he played all deep cuts sh*t and it sucked. 

For some reason, I bought tickets to Jason Isbell in New Haven. The opener did ten very loud songs that were like some sh*t you'd hear at open mic night at your local hipster pub, which put the crowd into a deep sleep. By the time Isbell came out, the crowd was shot and couldn't give a sh*t. He was fine, but doesn't really have a fastball. Think Bruce Springsteen, but if Bruce co-wrote his songs with Larry the Cable Guy. 

Saw Isbell open for Zac Brown. His songs are kinda better than he is as a performer. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I suppose? All the critics love him. The venue I saw him in sucks: it's always full of disinterested Yale students snapchatting the whole show.

Only time I've seen a concert where the headliner, ZBB, covered a great song by the opener, "Dress Blues". 

7/20/2017, Jones Beach-Jason Bonham LZ Experience, Cheap Trick, Foreigner;

Jason Bonham does a pretty good job covering his dad's band. As it happens at one time he was the road drummer for Foreigner.But it is a cover band.

Cheap Trick, despite bing in the RNR HOF, was kinda passive aggressive. You are old, and you aren't top bill; play your hits. Alas, basically rushed the radio stuff into about 5 songs at the end.

Foreigner consisted of Mick Jones and his grandchildren who sound like Foreigner from FM radio. But surprise was Lou Graham and 2 other members of the original band joined in for an excellent encore set. Graham looked TERRIBLE but was in good voice. 

7/21/2017 Jones Beach: Christ Stapleton;

Simply a great show. Nashville doesn't quite know how to deal with  a guy who is not some Taylor Swift/Luke Bryan crossover wannabe who draws as much from Southern rock like the Allmans and Skynrd than he does from country. 

7/26/2017 Forest Hills Tennis Stadium Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers:

A great show. Forest Hills has a strict 10PM curfew so felt like he could've gone another encore or 2. But seen him a bunch of times and always a good show. 

Toby Keith, 8/18/2017 Ford Ampitheater, Coney Island, Brooklyn-

A party of a show.Runs through all his hits. Did a solid version of "Wichita Lineman" in tribute of Glen Campbell, as well as a great cover of Ted Nugent's "Stranglehold". Does a nice thing of bringing up veterans for his encore. A nicer venue than I expected. Had ridden past this decrepit place on my bike hundreds of times, would never expect they could fix it up this well.  And it's remarkably comfortable and a great place to see a show.  And having a headline country show in Brooklyn is not something that happens...ever. 

Clarke is a great bassist. But he ain't John Entwistle, period, full stop, end of story.

The most sedated and seated crowd on any show I've been to the last few years was far and away Black Sabbath. Either the drugs have taken full effect or we are all really old. When I saw them 25-30 years ago in one of the Ronnie James Dio incarnations, the crowd behaved very, very differently. 

20 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I think of Squire as I do Entwistle, Geddy etc. Innovative, Rythmic and just fantastic but not in that DEEP league of true bassists.

Jaco?  Sits on a throne in bass heaven. 

LaFaro, died so young. His bass is available for view at Kolstein music in  Baldwin NY. Barry Kolstein restored it.  I bought my upright bass there. They are all great.

I attended a workshop in 1980 or so where Jamil Nasser (Amhad Jamal etc) taught the bassists. No electric basses allowed. He told a story about Ray Brown moving from NY to LA and half the studio bassists lost their job.  He told a story about Mingus , too long here but he is convinced that Mingus was the greatest bassist ever.  

Don't think we disagree as much as we are talking past each other about different things. And that's fine. Sorry if I misunderstood you. 

On 11/28/2017 at 9:15 AM, southparkcpa said:

All good.   I love a lot of bassists no one would ever think of as great. McCartney comes to mind, as does Sting, Flea.

Flea is terrific. 

On 8/27/2018 at 4:13 PM, HighPitch said:

Ya just read an article on slash. Says his band may never do any gnr. Thats just stupid! Fans wanna hear some classics. A guy like him should play 1 gnr tune ar least every third or fourth song. All bands shoul

Dunno about that. When I saw him him at the Starland with Miles Kennedy before GNR reunited, was almost 2/3s GNR. Understand he's doing a tour with Kennedy again this fall, so we'll see how that holds up if ticket sales get a bit slow. 

Saw the Who at MSG Monday. A fine show- segments with an orchestra doing mostly "Tommy" and then "Quadraphenia" tracks and a segment in between with a band. A fun show. It wasn't 1979 or 1982, but then I'm not a pimply faced kid in a denim jacket either so. One thing they have hit upon they should have been doing for years is a virtuoso violinist doing the solo at the end of "Baba O'Riley". 

On 5/31/2019 at 10:39 AM, The Crimson King said:

Yngwie Malmsteen at the Ridgefield Playhouse last night

Two opening acts: Paralandra and Sunlord

Not a great show. Malmsteen is amazing but after one or two pieces, he leaves you wishing the show would end. Same riffs over and over, way too much phony showmanship, lousy backup band. Lots of speed and flash with little substance or depth. Played his scalloped Strats of course and threw about 100 picks into the audience which got old fast.

Opening acts were somehow transported from the 80's right to the stage. Someone should have raised the shields to block the transport.

Paralandra was a metal band of mediocre musicality led by a tall girl who has an impressive screaming range. Every song was structured the same and were indistinguishable. The most entertaining part was the waist long hair on the bassist and guitarist complete with the in-rhythm swirling and front to back movements. Guitarist had a nice LP but really couldn't do much more than you used to see kids do at Sam Ash. Amazon sized singer girl played rhythm on a PRS. What a waste of a sweet instrument. It didn't take long for that little voice in your head to start saying "get off, get off". They did get points for enthusiasm however. 

Sunlord was even harder to take. A power trio led by a guy who played a Flying V and sang the deep devil style metal yelling vocals. No real shredding and a mediocre backline. The guitarist was also Malmsteen's guitar tech and had to work his ass off in that job. That was impressive and exhausting to watch. Just to be fair, since there guys are New Yorkers and might just be JN members, they did have a large following there that were  absolutely nuts about them, so I'll chalk this up to just not being my style.

We did have a nice dinner and some drinks at a bar beforehand in town so it wasn't a bad evening overall. 

Next up is a Tywla Tharp program at the American Ballet Theater. Not a concert per se but the wife is making me go and I guess after so many Jets games, she deserves it. Suffering payback. 

EDIT: forgot to mention the highlight of the whole show: the wall of Marshalls at the back of the stage. 52 heads and about 18 4x12 cabs. Covered end to end and mostly to the top. Looked like only one head and one cab was used. I imagine that the rest, expect for one or two backups, were gutted for easier set up and take down but what a sight !

Been offered the chance to see Joe Bonamassa several times, and suspect it's kinda of the same thing. So he can play "Layla" or damn near anything quite perfectly to the note, but there's no soul to it. 

2nd part is why Judas Priest was so much fun back then. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I saw Lil Wayne and Blink 182 last night.  

Lil Wayne was amazing.  Probably the best rap performance I've even seen.

Blink 182 is the worst band in the history of music.

You have not been subject to the Cars, my friend. Simply the worst live act ever. 

• Haha 1