Sign in to follow this  
Bugg

Semi-Official Concert Review Thread

RUSH at MSG with my 9 year old son was amazeballs

we got first row balcony so he could see

watching him air-drum  tom sawyer was really cool

BIG FAN... Have seen them many times.  Here are 2 pics of me back stage. one is ON stage pre-show in front of the kit.  Thats me next to Geddy.

599188_4820193151125_1439651603_n.jpg

69536_4820193311129_348120310_n.jpg

• Upvote 2

Rush at Greensboro Coliseum. Show #41. 

Best setlist ever. 

If you missed this tour, kick yourself. 

I was there....  Im in Charlotte. Where are you?

Saw the great Rush doc on AXS a few months back. Neil Peart is adamant that he won't do those meet and greets, and even some musicians who did meet him  found him kinda off putting. But clear he is simply a very private person rather than a jerk. Rough quote-Peart  loved Keith Moon and the WHo, but to meet them is too intrusive, obnoxious and he couldn't imagine doing it. To him, his music is enough. 

Yeah, I am a huge fan and have read about the band, seen the movies etc.   I respect his decision.  My 1st show was Hemispheres in 1979 in NYC.

I can tell you.. Alex is totally kool. I had wine with them the night of the show in a small VIP room. Client of mine is a close friend of Alex. There were no more than 12 in the room, Alex, Geddy no Neal of course.

Also..sound check is totally amazing.  5pm, the band walks in to an empty arena and plays 3 songs in front of perhaps 25 people.

have seen them perhaps 10 times.

I'll be seeing Van Halen in Raleigh Sep 9.  Hoping David Lee Roth was just having an off-night but sounds doubtful.  Between that and the Stones show back in July it's been a solid concert summer.

I saw Van Halen open up for Black Sabbath when I was in high school. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Just saw this.  I was there, too.  

Two things I took from that show: 1. Guys in VH dressed in jeans and t-shirts, nothing fancy and almost no one knew who they were;   2. Part of the upper level at MSG lit up with burning crosses in tribute to Sabbath's return.  Insanity.

I remember on or about the 10th row floor, a relatively large burning cross during War Pigs, about 2 feet high.   In those days,  I was playing bass in a band in HS.  ( I majored in music in another life pre CPA).  trust me, we knew who Van Halen was.   First Album just came out and was electric.  From Ice Cream man to Eruption.  Im not even a "Big" fan of metal but I am sort of a music historian and Sabbath/Van Halen in my mind was gonna be a great memory. I was right.

• Upvote 2

On August 27, 2015 at 4:52 PM, slowmoe57 said:
On August 27, 2015 at 4:42 PM, southparkcpa said:

Remember that tour Ozzys last back in the late 70s. Was suppose to go to that show and always regretted not going. From those who went they said the Van Halen blew Sabbath off the stage that night. 

On August 27, 2015 at 4:52 PM, slowmoe57 said:
On August 27, 2015 at 4:42 PM, southparkcpa said:

Remember that tour Ozzys last back in the late 70s. Was suppose to go to that show and always regretted not going. From those who went they said the Van Halen blew Sabbath off the stage that night. 

I have no memory of that. I was in the first section around the floor and was I believe 16, maybe 17 at most.  

20 minutes ago, slowmoe57 said:

Anyway just saw the Sabbath show a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely fantastic 97 percent stuff from the 70s. Ozzy's voice was damn near perfect and Tony Iomi was awesome. Last tour ever (or so they say) definitly worth it.

I felt that way when I went to see RUSH for what we believe is the last tour. I got back stage passes from a golf instructor client who has given lessons to Alex, Got a  VIP pass and had wine with Alex and Geddy.  Was VERY fukkin surreal.

5 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Very jealous

I saw RUSH in 1979 at the Palladium in NYC.  Hemispheres tour. Fantastic. . Have seen them at least 10 times.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Wow. Hemispheres to me is quintessential Rush. Thats awesome.

actually my first real concert was Rush at the garden....subdivisions tour. I remember walking through the tunnel and seeing rory gallagher opening and thinking that this was the coolest minute of my life .......and ive never even hear of them.

funny thing though. I find that subdivisions was the last of the "great" Rush album. It kinda went downhill after that with a few spotty exceptions. I started going backwards from there as far as their catalog is concerned

I was a musician in HS and hated RUSH, hated Geddys voice.   I then started playing some rock (bass). learned Bastille day and Anthem by ear and started to like them.  I was in the 11th grade.  I then went to palladium.  In fact, it was 78, not 79.  THAT show was unreal and hooked me. I bought Hemispheres , learned LaVilla, Circumstances etc.  I was totally hooked BEFORE moving pictures.   Agree on the subdivisions comment to a large extent.

RUSH stayed in Charlotte for the southern leg of their tour in 2007 and used it as a stopping point. basically they booked a floor at a resort hotel  and flew a small jet from Charlotte to all Florida stops, Atlanta etc. They were here for 6-7 weeks I think. The golf pro at the resort is a client and he took Alex and Geddy out everyday to golf and became friends with Alex. Thats how I got a VIP pass.  The sound check was incredible.  NO ONE in the arena except VIP (about 20 of us) . Thats me before sound check. 

SDC12114.jpg

4 hours ago, isired said:

Saw them at the Garden Thursday night, I was stunned at how good they sounded. Ozzy sounded as good as I remember (last saw him live in the late 80's) and Iommi was great, set list was great, Butler was great. I guess I was expecting the set list to be great, but otherwise I wasn't expecting to be impressed. I was very pleasantly surprised, and it was obvious from the first notes that it was going to be a great night.

When you go to shows like that  and their are kids there  who werent born before 1990 and they have on Sabbath shirts its a Shake your head moment.

At the RUSH shows ive seen recently, its so kool to see father and son duos, lots of them, enjoying the show.

I tell these kids.... I was smoking dope to RUSH before your mom and dad met. :)

So.. im studying Spanish and making great progress.  One of the methods involves cultures etc...  I came across this guy.  Pretty good stuff.   In fact been banging it out on my Taylor 810.  

On 11/25/2017 at 2:11 PM, Bugg said:

Clarke is a great bassist. But he ain't John Entwistle, period, full stop, end of story.

The most sedated and seated crowd on any show I've been to the last few years was far and away Black Sabbath. Either the drugs have taken full effect or we are all really old. When I saw them 25-30 years ago in one of the Ronnie James Dio incarnations, the crowd behaved very, very differently. 

WOW....  just wow. How any one can make that statement is mind boggling.  Entwistle is of course a fully trained musician, played horn,can read and write music to say he is better than Clarke is well, respectfully stated, naive.   There is nothing that Entwistle ever did on a bass that Clarke can't do BUT the reverse, in my view, is probably not true.  

I majored in music, played double bass and studied all the great bassists as most kids would do.  Entwistles name only comes up by rock listeners in a rock context, never by fully trained musicians who went to school, can read and write music etc.  Great bassists like Ray Brown, Mingus, Ron Carter, Clarke and so many more.  They are all classically trained, play with a bow, acoustic bass, electric bass etc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Did you like Eric Czar?

Very talented and innovative  but I dont  think much of the 6-8 string basses, personal opinion of course.  Thats not really in the same business as a "true bass player".

So many great bassists. Here's one you may never have heard of.  Playing an old standard on an upright.

Go to about the 35 second mark and just watch and listen. You NEVER see him listed as a top bassist UNLESS you talk to bassists.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

How about Jaco, Wooten, Squire, LaFaro, Patitucci, Vitous, yeesh, there are so many ... Percy Jones? Tony Levin? Bunny Brunel? 

When I was a kid we used to argue over Bruce vs Bogert and now I find them both a bit unlistenable to  

I mostly agree with you on the 5 and 6 strings although with the fidelity of today's equipment that low B can be useful at times

I have been constantly amazed that so many people like/love music but are so unwilling to learn anything about it and just go with popular opinion. 

I think of Squire as I do Entwistle, Geddy etc. Innovative, Rythmic and just fantastic but not in that DEEP league of true bassists.

Jaco?  Sits on a throne in bass heaven. 

LaFaro, died so young. His bass is available for view at Kolstein music in  Baldwin NY. Barry Kolstein restored it.  I bought my upright bass there. They are all great.

I attended a workshop in 1980 or so where Jamil Nasser (Amhad Jamal etc) taught the bassists. No electric basses allowed. He told a story about Ray Brown moving from NY to LA and half the studio bassists lost their job.  He told a story about Mingus , too long here but he is convinced that Mingus was the greatest bassist ever.  

• Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Don't think we disagree as much as we are talking past each other about different things. And that's fine. Sorry if I misunderstood you. 

All good.   I love a lot of bassists no one would ever think of as great. McCartney comes to mind, as does Sting, Flea.

59 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

What a wonderful performer she is. Saw her twice . Once in AC and once in NYC and will see her again. When I listen to her and the other super talented players she performs with I wonder if today's 20 somethings will ever appreciate real music from real musicians. I could sit and listen to her forever.

Yeah..interestingly, I played in a band with 2 guys from Berklee /Boston where she went. They were in a few classes with her and it just makes the world seem smaller.  

15 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Good show at The Space in Westbury tonight … Jean-Luc Ponty. 

The crowd was mostly appreciative but we noticed a lot of folks leaving before it was over. Probably because it was past their bedtimes and they needed to get home to take their medications. There were no one there who looked to be not collecting Medicare. Yet another important slice of musicianship destined to fade into the history of virtuosity among the mediocrity of embarrassingly talentless pop downloaded on i phones.

Still some good musicianship coming up in the next couple of months. Paul Gilbert (Racer X, G3 tour) at the Iridium, Eric Johnson at Ridgefield and Keaggy, Levin & Marotta at Daryl's Place. Some excellent choices for all you musical snobs out there

If you get a chance, there's a documentary on Netflix on Coltrane.  Describes how he went from good session player, to Miles band and then his own gig and how he wanted to "express himself".   It didn't go well and audiences would walk out halfway.   Im a HUGE fan but simply don't enjoy his "Love Supreme" work although it is critically acclaimed.

Makes me more impressed with bands like RUSH, Eagles etc who can stay together, play the old stuff and recognize what the audience wants.  At the same time, makes me SMH that guys like Keith Emerson (Im a HUGE ELP fan) many times  put the audience second and HIS desire first.  For that, I am quite certain his net worth was a shell of what it could have been.  Instead of "Works or Works II and Love Beach" imagine more work like Tarkus and BSS.

50 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Ya just read an article on slash. Says his band may never do any gnr. Thats just stupid! Fans wanna hear some classics. A guy like him should play 1 gnr tune ar least every third or fourth song. All bands shoul

For them... the difference may be they are FU rich.   I agree that they are a PERFECT example.  Just play a tour together for 1 year, 120 shows, bank 10 mil or more each.  They wouldn't appear together at R and R HOF???  

33 minutes ago, CTM said:

The art won't be as good if they are playing things they aren't interested in. I think it's a good thing that it's not all about money for some people

Understood..but at the end, Greg Lake was selling meet and greet passes for his shows that drew between 500 and 2,000 people.  There is a balance. Look at the Eagles. They ALL did and do plenty of freelance but can burn money to heat their homes. 

On 11/30/2018 at 12:30 PM, The Crimson King said:

Vanilla Fudge at Daryl's Place Wed. night. All original except Tim Bogert who retired a decade or so ago

Carmine and Mark still have it big time and both were charming and funny in between songs. Martell is way better than he was in the old days and is still a step or two being contemporary guitarists. The "new" bass player was OK but just not Bogert who was an important part of their sound

Still doing covers in their own inimitable style with the familiar power and unique harmony.  They did the classic covers plus some new ones, "I'm a Believer" (didn't work),  "Break on Through" (not so much), "Gimmie Some Lovin' (uh, not that one either) but a new original by Stein, "Let's Pray For Peace" was pretty good and he nailed the vocals. The old covers, "Take Me For a Little While", "You Keep Me Hanging On", "Season of the Witch (Mama I'm coooollld)", "People Get Ready" were taking us all back to the Action House in Island Park.

Naturally, no one there had not heard of what a Medicare Advantage Plan is

I'm not big on nostalgia, the music needs to hold up now and these guys still do that. For many Long Islanders, the Fudge was immensely influential. Still have not done a cover like the record (or at least that I would admit) since Roscoe was playing them on WABC-FM. 

Now let's all set the time machine to My Father's Place in Roslyn for more of this. Who do you want to see?

I remember seeing Zebra at My Fathers Place right around the time of the 1st album.  They used to be terrific.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Those guys could flat out play.  Not only could they cover Zeppelin well.  They did the best version of "Question" I ever heard, including the Moody Blues.

I LOVED their cover of Ride my See-Saw and Story in her eyes. Ive met and "partied' with the guitar player Randy once many years ago.  I watch him now and im not as impressed But they were, to me, the best LI Bar band in the 70's including Twisted Sister. Sister was fantastic but not as deep a bench as Zebra. He's a huge Beatles fan as well.

• Upvote 1

On 9/5/2020 at 2:20 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

I miss jazz clubs dearly and I think Shabaka Hutchings is one of the current greats. I regret never taking the opportunity to see The Comet is Coming live as they are my favorite project of his, and as soon as all this craziness is over it's a top priority. 

That in your mind is jazz?     I have a personal pet peeve that Jazz is played with an acoustic bass, acoustic piano. That to me is fusion.

I sound like Archie Bunker I know.

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company