Semi-Official Concert Review Thread

Bugg

went to see dead and company at MSG last sunday night.....it was my first time seeing a "proper dead show" ( i know, without Jerry it is nothing lol)!  I have seen Bobby solo and sitting in with other bands a few times

i was blown away by John Mayers playing! that boy has skills

was a lil disappointed by lack of "shakedown Street" before the show but its 7th ave, what do you expect

my frend who is a huge deadhead from back in the day said halloween was the best "post jerry' show he has ever seen....including chicago

had a great time! 

Even though Mayer is admittedly quite dooshy, he is a much better fit for Dead than Trey was.  In fact anything I've ever heard Trey do outside of Phish has been blah at best. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Saw Helloween and Rage in London last week. First time seeing Helloween since a freezing night in Farmingdale 12 years ago, and first time seeing Rage. Fantastic show. Though why oh why do bands do that medley crap.

942804_970126486367383_47220689670359713

Decent crowd too, bigger than I expected.

Next up? Suicidal this weekend. Followed by Exodus in a couple of weeks, then a couple of days after that by Sabaton, then there's Amorphis, Moonspell, Overkill, and Blind Guardian over the following few weeks. Gonna be busy...

On 11/5/2015 at 1:43 PM, Snell41 said:

Even though Mayer is admittedly quite dooshy, he is a much better fit for Dead than Trey was.  In fact anything I've ever heard Trey do outside of Phish has been blah at best. 

Trey is 1/2 the player he used to be imo. Agree Mayer was better.

On August 27, 2015 at 4:42 PM, southparkcpa said:

I saw Van Halen open up for Black Sabbath when I was in high school. 

Just saw this.  I was there, too.  

Two things I took from that show: 1. Guys in VH dressed in jeans and t-shirts, nothing fancy and almost no one knew who they were;   2. Part of the upper level at MSG lit up with burning crosses in tribute to Sabbath's return.  Insanity.

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Just saw this.  I was there, too.  

Two things I took from that show: 1. Guys in VH dressed in jeans and t-shirts, nothing fancy and almost no one knew who they were;   2. Part of the upper level at MSG lit up with burning crosses in tribute to Sabbath's return.  Insanity.

I remember on or about the 10th row floor, a relatively large burning cross during War Pigs, about 2 feet high.   In those days,  I was playing bass in a band in HS.  ( I majored in music in another life pre CPA).  trust me, we knew who Van Halen was.   First Album just came out and was electric.  From Ice Cream man to Eruption.  Im not even a "Big" fan of metal but I am sort of a music historian and Sabbath/Van Halen in my mind was gonna be a great memory. I was right.

• Upvote 2

Trey is 1/2 the player he used to be imo. Agree Mayer was better.

It's scary, I still think Maze is one of the greatest studio recorded solos ever. Phish as a whole has really gone way downhill. Songs like devotion to a dream and backwards down the number line....just typical pop inspired major/minor chord progressions with boring major scale runs. They seem to be trying desperately to make their songs about vocals, and they can't sing lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I remember on or about the 10th row floor, a relatively large burning cross during War Pigs, about 2 feet high.   In those days,  I was playing bass in a band in HS.  ( I majored in music in another life pre CPA).  trust me, we knew who Van Halen was.   First Album just came out and was electric.  From Ice Cream man to Eruption.  Im not even a "Big" fan of metal but I am sort of a music historian and Sabbath/Van Halen in my mind was gonna be a great memory. I was right.

As someone who was there, please clear up something I remember from the show but none of my friends do.  Am I nuts, or was a section of the upper Garden on fire at one point? From some of the crosses igniting the seats.

As for VH, I had their first album the week it came out.  Had heard "Eruption" on WNEW and had no idea what instrument was making that incredible sound during Eddie's solo.

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

It's scary, I still think Maze is one of the greatest studio recorded solos ever. Phish as a whole has really gone way downhill. Songs like devotion to a dream and backwards down the number line....just typical pop inspired major/minor chord progressions with boring major scale runs. They seem to be trying desperately to make their songs about vocals, and they can't sing lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I call it dad rock, I've moved on. The younger/smaller bands bring way better energy and I'm not constantly reminded that I'm getting old. Seeing phish today is like seeing an old bad phish cover band compared to 20 years ago. It's sad. What made phish special was their quirky arrangements, once they started trying to make pop songs and counted ween, parliment and talk heads as priomary influences it was all over, they just aren't good at it

• Upvote 1

On August 27, 2015 at 4:52 PM, slowmoe57 said:

Remember that tour Ozzys last back in the late 70s. Was suppose to go to that show and always regretted not going. From those who went they said the Van Halen blew Sabbath off the stage that night. 

On August 27, 2015 at 4:52 PM, slowmoe57 said:

Remember that tour Ozzys last back in the late 70s. Was suppose to go to that show and always regretted not going. From those who went they said the Van Halen blew Sabbath off the stage that night. 

I have no memory of that. I was in the first section around the floor and was I believe 16, maybe 17 at most.  

On February 14, 2016 at 3:03 PM, southparkcpa said:

I have no memory of that. I was in the first section around the floor and was I believe 16, maybe 17 at most.  

Anyway just saw the Sabbath show a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely fantastic 97 percent stuff from the 70s. Ozzy's voice was damn near perfect and Tony Iomi was awesome. Last tour ever (or so they say) definitly worth it.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, slowmoe57 said:

Anyway just saw the Sabbath show a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely fantastic 97 percent stuff from the 70s. Ozzy's voice was damn near perfect and Tony Iomi was awesome. Last tour ever (or so they say) definitly worth it.

I felt that way when I went to see RUSH for what we believe is the last tour. I got back stage passes from a golf instructor client who has given lessons to Alex, Got a  VIP pass and had wine with Alex and Geddy.  Was VERY fukkin surreal.

• 2 weeks later...
On February 15, 2016 at 6:02 PM, southparkcpa said:

I felt that way when I went to see RUSH for what we believe is the last tour. I got back stage passes from a golf instructor client who has given lessons to Alex, Got a  VIP pass and had wine with Alex and Geddy.  Was VERY fukkin surreal.

Very jealous

• Upvote 1

On 8/26/2015 at 8:37 PM, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

I bought the stream for that one, hell of a show!

always wanted to do red rocks, kicking misled for not going to see them

http://youtu.be/0zIQ00ehgt0

Saw Pantera at Red Rocks about 17 years ago...one of the best shows I've ever been to and such an incredible venue.

On February 25, 2016 at 11:54 PM, southparkcpa said:

I saw RUSH in 1979 at the Palladium in NYC.  Hemispheres tour. Fantastic. . Have seen them at least 10 times.

Wow. Hemispheres to me is quintessential Rush. Thats awesome.

actually my first real concert was Rush at the garden....subdivisions tour. I remember walking through the tunnel and seeing rory gallagher opening and thinking that this was the coolest minute of my life .......and ive never even hear of them.

funny thing though. I find that subdivisions was the last of the "great" Rush album. It kinda went downhill after that with a few spotty exceptions. I started going backwards from there as far as their catalog is concerned

34 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Wow. Hemispheres to me is quintessential Rush. Thats awesome.

actually my first real concert was Rush at the garden....subdivisions tour. I remember walking through the tunnel and seeing rory gallagher opening and thinking that this was the coolest minute of my life .......and ive never even hear of them.

funny thing though. I find that subdivisions was the last of the "great" Rush album. It kinda went downhill after that with a few spotty exceptions. I started going backwards from there as far as their catalog is concerned

I was a musician in HS and hated RUSH, hated Geddys voice.   I then started playing some rock (bass). learned Bastille day and Anthem by ear and started to like them.  I was in the 11th grade.  I then went to palladium.  In fact, it was 78, not 79.  THAT show was unreal and hooked me. I bought Hemispheres , learned LaVilla, Circumstances etc.  I was totally hooked BEFORE moving pictures.   Agree on the subdivisions comment to a large extent.

RUSH stayed in Charlotte for the southern leg of their tour in 2007 and used it as a stopping point. basically they booked a floor at a resort hotel  and flew a small jet from Charlotte to all Florida stops, Atlanta etc. They were here for 6-7 weeks I think. The golf pro at the resort is a client and he took Alex and Geddy out everyday to golf and became friends with Alex. Thats how I got a VIP pass.  The sound check was incredible.  NO ONE in the arena except VIP (about 20 of us) . Thats me before sound check. 

SDC12114.jpg

Thats crazy. The sound man for my pink floyd tribute band was their monitor mixer guy on all the worlds a stage tour. Hes in the credits. He told me geddy was a douche but alex and neil were awesome. A few years back he went backstage and said he would try to get me in to meet everyone but it just didnt materialize. I was so pumped and then deflated. Im not one to care to meet famous musicians but rush is an exception. 

Alexes tastiest solo ever, to me, is the little diddy he plays quietly in la villa stragiatto, just before the gain gets turned up and he starts to wail out. I dont know what it is but the feel and emotion in that quiet part is minimal but speaks volumes on how tasy he is

Saw them at the Garden Thursday night, I was stunned at how good they sounded. Ozzy sounded as good as I remember (last saw him live in the late 80's) and Iommi was great, set list was great, Butler was great. I guess I was expecting the set list to be great, but otherwise I wasn't expecting to be impressed. I was very pleasantly surprised, and it was obvious from the first notes that it was going to be a great night.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, isired said:

Saw them at the Garden Thursday night, I was stunned at how good they sounded. Ozzy sounded as good as I remember (last saw him live in the late 80's) and Iommi was great, set list was great, Butler was great. I guess I was expecting the set list to be great, but otherwise I wasn't expecting to be impressed. I was very pleasantly surprised, and it was obvious from the first notes that it was going to be a great night.

When you go to shows like that  and their are kids there  who werent born before 1990 and they have on Sabbath shirts its a Shake your head moment.

At the RUSH shows ive seen recently, its so kool to see father and son duos, lots of them, enjoying the show.

I tell these kids.... I was smoking dope to RUSH before your mom and dad met. :)

7 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

When you go to shows like that  and their are kids there  who werent born before 1990 and they have on Sabbath shirts its a Shake your head moment.

At the RUSH shows ive seen recently, its so kool to see father and son duos, lots of them, enjoying the show.

I tell these kids.... I was smoking dope to RUSH before your mom and dad met. :)

I'm not a huge Rush fan, but I love bands like this that have such a polarizing effect.  I play in a Dead tribute band and it's the same thing there.  People either love it or hate it, there's never much in between.  The talent of Rush is absolutely off the charts. 

• Upvote 1

Sabaton and Machine Head both played Dublin last night. Guess which one I went to?

alestormsabaton.jpg

As you can see, slightly different attitudes towards stage sets, Sabaton's tank vs Alestorm's giant rubber duck... Performance wise though, both brilliant, along with the opening act. Great night.

Machine who?

On March 2, 2016 at 0:49 AM, isired said:

Ive always for years heard that ozzy has a lil friend behind the stage that helps with vocals. Id love to know the truth

Ive always for years heard that ozzy has a lil friend behind the stage that helps with vocals. Id love to know the truth

I hate to say it, but it makes sense. He sounded great, as good as I've ever heard him and a thousand times better than any line he uttered on the MTV show.

Just came back from aurafest this weekend. Good times.... A few notes:

Turkauz (sic) was fabulous. Great guests popping in on stage too

Snarky puppy - phenominal musicianship....huge band

the New Deal - wasnt familiar with them but i was in the 3 rd row and they were really good

Pink Talking Fish - what an interesting concept. Play the best, but not the most popular mixes of pink floyd, talking heads and phish. These guys did shine on you crazy diamond and dogs. Nuff said. Then in the middle of dogs, they bust into once in a lifetime, back into dogs second half. Good stuff

but the real surprise:

Pidgeons Playing Pingpong - always liked their albums but holy ****in sh*t were they a pleasant surprise. First off, great sound and light show. They were loud as hell but crispy clear. Even though they are a funk babd, they almost reminded me of a metal band with how technical they were but played everything with passion and confidence. They made it look so easy. The singer was a total entertaining wackjob. They would switch parts up, gets into super tight dynamics and really knew how to create moody atmospheric sections. Those boys are masters of their wah and envelope filter pedals. A good cd band, but one of the best live funk bands hands down

funk is a weird thing.....created by black folks, but no black folks go to see it or care anymore its just crazy white kids lol

On 3/8/2016 at 5:21 PM, HighPitch said:

Just came back from aurafest this weekend. Good times.... A few notes:

Turkauz (sic) was fabulous. Great guests popping in on stage too

Snarky puppy - phenominal musicianship....huge band

the New Deal - wasnt familiar with them but i was in the 3 rd row and they were really good

Pink Talking Fish - what an interesting concept. Play the best, but not the most popular mixes of pink floyd, talking heads and phish. These guys did shine on you crazy diamond and dogs. Nuff said. Then in the middle of dogs, they bust into once in a lifetime, back into dogs second half. Good stuff

but the real surprise:

Pidgeons Playing Pingpong - always liked their albums but holy ****in sh*t were they a pleasant surprise. First off, great sound and light show. They were loud as hell but crispy clear. Even though they are a funk babd, they almost reminded me of a metal band with how technical they were but played everything with passion and confidence. They made it look so easy. The singer was a total entertaining wackjob. They would switch parts up, gets into super tight dynamics and really knew how to create moody atmospheric sections. Those boys are masters of their wah and envelope filter pedals. A good cd band, but one of the best live funk bands hands down

funk is a weird thing.....created by black folks, but no black folks go to see it or care anymore its just crazy white kids lol

PTF is a lot of fun, the are starting to attract a pretty big following too, I believe they sold out Brooklyn Bowl. 

And I had the same reaction to PPP, first time I saw them in a tiny bar in Philly and they were a lot better than I was expecting. They recently played the Saint but I missed that, they are around a few times a year.

What about Biscuits? How was Heavy pets playing the 80's set?

17 hours ago, CTM said:

PTF is a lot of fun, the are starting to attract a pretty big following too, I believe they sold out Brooklyn Bowl. 

And I had the same reaction to PPP, first time I saw them in a tiny bar in Philly and they were a lot better than I was expecting. They recently played the Saint but I missed that, they are around a few times a year.

What about Biscuits? How was Heavy pets playing the 80's set?

The heavy pets were really good. They weren't on the musicianship level of most others but still really good. they did.....lets see...

In your eyes (too fast and weak)

rock the casbah (rocked)

another one bites the dust (had some fun buddy butcher the vocals but it was comical)

I ran (super rocking)

Play on me

end of the world as we know it (great version to end)

The biscuits....well after lots of partying went back to the motorhome to grab a bite and drink but wound of banging the gf and going to sleep) lol

• 5 weeks later...

saw pearl jam in ft laudy.......super tight show, great setlist, eddie guzzled 3 bottles of wine onstage by my count and has replaced the george bush mask with a Trump one lol.......mike is a way better guitar player than i remember and basically had his whole side of the stage hyped up with his crazy antics

Overkill in Dublin last night. Typical Overkill show, ie abso-f**kin-lutely on fire.I still think they're the best live band on the planet, and last night's set? Because of the big anniversary show they're doing in Germany in a few weeks, it was mainly Feel the Fire and Horrorscope stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw Halestorm with Lita Ford at Webster Hall ( a complete dump of a place) last Wednesday. Halestrom is freaking awesome; what a voice. .

Lita Ford is okay.

Word of advice for both bands-your drummer is great. But the 7-10 minute long (LONG!) drum solos are the most boring thing on earth.