Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bugg

Semi-Official Concert Review Thread

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Stones rocked last night.

 

What was the opener?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

 

 

Opening song was Street Fighting Man

Nice...He's still going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kamasi Washington  puts on a great show, opening for Herbie Hancock 

20190804_204538.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CTM said:

Kamasi Washington  puts on a great show, opening for Herbie Hancock 

20190804_204538.jpg

See this show? I have 10 days left here and this would entail all of Wednesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

See this show? I have 10 days left here and this would entail all of Wednesday.

I just got back. Kamasi's set was excellant. Herbie put together a top notch band with only 1 other geezer (Vinnie Colaiuta, Zappa's old drummer) and even though Herbies lost a step at 79 (imo), hes still a living legend.

I know you arent a big jazz fan and I dont have a clue what this would be taking the place of on your final 10 day itinerary , but I'd highly recommend particularly if you've never seen Hancock.

Edit: Forgot to mention, M. Night Shyamalan walked out about when I did. I have no earthly idea how I recognized him. Didnt even realize he lived in Philly and I dont think Ive even seen or so much as heard about one of his movies in atleast 15 years.

From the encore:

 

20190804_230546.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw Widespread Panic Sunday night.  Still put on a great show.  Jimmy Herring is the man. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blink-182 last night in Phoenix.  I'm a big fan having seen these guys at least 5 times (several times with Matt Skiba in for Tom DeLonge) as well.  It's the 20th anniversary of their seminal album, Enema of the State.  They came out and played the entire album from start to finish, did a set break, then came back with newer stuff.  Great show!

And the opener?  Lil Wayne.  Huh?  Wut?  Yeah, had never seen that guy and only recognized a couple songs but it was fun and made for an interesting crowd.  Lil Wayne and Blink-182...go figure!

IMG_7707.thumb.jpg.c53c18dc284a5584f15ca81afa9ed94e.jpg

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

IMG_7718.thumb.jpg.e8b101b078558156212a01a40a020db8.jpg

perfect seats.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 1:09 AM, CTM said:

I just got back. Kamasi's set was excellant. Herbie put together a top notch band with only 1 other geezer (Vinnie Colaiuta, Zappa's old drummer) and even though Herbies lost a step at 79 (imo), hes still a living legend.

I know you arent a big jazz fan and I dont have a clue what this would be taking the place of on your final 10 day itinerary , but I'd highly recommend particularly if you've never seen Hancock.

Edit: Forgot to mention, M. Night Shyamalan walked out about when I did. I have no earthly idea how I recognized him. Didnt even realize he lived in Philly and I dont think Ive even seen or so much as heard about one of his movies in atleast 15 years.

From the encore:

 

20190804_230546.jpg

I'm going to see the Regrettes instead.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 1:09 AM, CTM said:

I just got back. Kamasi's set was excellant. Herbie put together a top notch band with only 1 other geezer (Vinnie Colaiuta, Zappa's old drummer) and even though Herbies lost a step at 79 (imo), hes still a living legend.

I know you arent a big jazz fan and I dont have a clue what this would be taking the place of on your final 10 day itinerary , but I'd highly recommend particularly if you've never seen Hancock.

Edit: Forgot to mention, M. Night Shyamalan walked out about when I did. I have no earthly idea how I recognized him. Didnt even realize he lived in Philly and I dont think Ive even seen or so much as heard about one of his movies in atleast 15 years.

 

On 7/18/2019 at 5:16 PM, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

That was a ******* fantastic band. Freese and also Dominic Miller, who, when he stopped touring with the Pretenders, had to be replaced by two guys on Middle of the Road and they still had to slow it down.

Herbie ******* Hancock?  He did the Beverly Hills Cop theme!  I posted this here because Vinny Colaiuta played with Sting and Dominic Miller both before and after Freese.  I looked it up, and the show I saw actually had Abe Laboriel Jr.  Laboriel started with Vai and played with a bunch of others.  He has done all of McCartney's tours, if Wikipedia is to be believed, since the Concert for New York which I attended, though I was working, so I didn't get to pay as much attention as I'd have liked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

 

Herbie ******* Hancock?  He did the Beverly Hills Cop theme!  I posted this here because Vinny Colaiuta played with Sting and Dominic Miller both before and after Freese.  I looked it up, and the show I saw actually had Abe Laboriel Jr.  Laboriel started with Vai and played with a bunch of others.  He has done all of McCartney's tours, if Wikipedia is to be believed, since the Concert for New York which I attended, though I was working, so I didn't get to pay as much attention as I'd have liked. 

Abe Jr did some amazing CD ROM's for samplers, namely Burning Grooves and Liquid Grooves. I've never seem anything that could match them. Way too talented to play w/ Sir Paul (no offense intended to McCartney fans) but I guess you gotta make a living. Abe Sr, his dad, could play the hell out of a bass.

Hancock? The dude played with Miles and made the Headhunters album. 'nough said.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 1:09 AM, CTM said:

I just got back. Kamasi's set was excellant. Herbie put together a top notch band with only 1 other geezer (Vinnie Colaiuta, Zappa's old drummer) and even though Herbies lost a step at 79 (imo), hes still a living legend.

I know you arent a big jazz fan and I dont have a clue what this would be taking the place of on your final 10 day itinerary , but I'd highly recommend particularly if you've never seen Hancock.

Edit: Forgot to mention, M. Night Shyamalan walked out about when I did. I have no earthly idea how I recognized him. Didnt even realize he lived in Philly and I dont think Ive even seen or so much as heard about one of his movies in atleast 15 years.

From the encore:

 

20190804_230546.jpg

Catholic girls......vinny caliuta...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve Hackett at Ridgefield last night

Great player, would be hall of fame if they had a real one of those for musicians,

However, not such a great show. First half of the show was from his solo albums and he just does not have the writing chops other great guitar players do. The band was spotty, especially Craig Blundell the drummer (from Steve Wilson's band) who was off on timing because he was trying to get too fancy with fills he couldn't quite pull off.  

Second half was a redo of Selling England by the Pound. This was spotty at best. Some interesting twists such as Rob Townsend, an OK sax/flute player doing some of Bank's synth parts (despite actually having a keyboard player in the band) but Blundell's blundering, the bassists inability to nail the heavy Rick sound of Rutherford, the keyboardists inability to make a Mellotron sound or blast it when he needed to (love me some Mellotron) and a ridiculous light show kind of ruined it.  Worse was the singer they brought out that couldn't handle the material. He did not have the range to hit the high notes (just about trashed Cinema Show) and he was trying to be Gabriel but just couldn't reasonably pull it off. The Mrs. commented that it was like watching Andy Kaufmann try and fail to do an exaggerated takeoff of Peter Gabriel.

Oddly enough, the encore was a medley of some post-Lamb Genesis and it was fabulous. Everyone actually played to the same beat, with big energy and enthusiasm.  Good enough to kinda save the night.

Hackett is a great player, especially on classical and 12 string. His electric work is complex, unique and brilliant and I can listen to him play all night. However, everything is does is orchestrated. The one jam where they tried improv fell on its face, They tacked it onto the end of I Know What Like, of all pieces and no one, even Hackett could pull it off.

Funny thing is that as mediocre as Hackett's own Selling England was is as good as Musical Box (see previous review) does it. Coincidentally, MB's show at Ridgefield for 4/1/20 went on sale this AM. If you like old Genesis and want to see it come alive again, this is the show for you. Just get your tix now because they always sell out. 

A note about the audience. Us older folk always complain about the lack of this and that in the younger generation but the older folk crowd that showed up last night were as a rule, a rude bunch of idiots. They had no idea that what they were watching was poorly executed and shouted out idiotic things between songs, talked throughout the show (loud during songs) about other shows they've seen and gave standing O's to bad drum solos and the like. Were these the same people who sat around me in the late 60's-early 70's? Maybe they should start passing around the joints again.   

One more item that I shook my head about. They had an open auction of a "Les Paul guitar singed by Steve" in the lobby. Turns out that it was an Epiphone Std LP going for about $550 new. To bid, you sign a sheet with your offer. they next one comes along and ups it. the last person who signs wins the auction. I don't know what it went for but about 30" before the show the bid was up to $1,900. How much is Steve Hackett's autograph worth and why the %#$ would you want it on a guitar? (sorry this irks me)

Bottom line, Steve Hackett is one of the all time greats but if you want to relive pre-sellout Genesis, go see Musical Box next spring.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2019 at 11:18 AM, JiF said:

I saw Lil Wayne and Blink 182 last night.  

Lil Wayne was amazing.  Probably the best rap performance I've even seen.

Blink 182 is the worst band in the history of music.

 

On 8/6/2019 at 1:52 PM, jetstream23 said:

Blink-182 last night in Phoenix.  I'm a big fan having seen these guys at least 5 times (several times with Matt Skiba in for Tom DeLonge) as well.  It's the 20th anniversary of their seminal album, Enema of the State.  They came out and played the entire album from start to finish, did a set break, then came back with newer stuff.  Great show!

And the opener?  Lil Wayne.  Huh?  Wut?  Yeah, had never seen that guy and only recognized a couple songs but it was fun and made for an interesting crowd.  Lil Wayne and Blink-182...go figure!

IMG_7707.thumb.jpg.c53c18dc284a5584f15ca81afa9ed94e.jpg

hi

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting ready to make a run for Tool.  Trying to pull off both shows in LA.

Fear Inoculum has floored me.  Big fan.  13 years was worth the wait.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Ha!

Blink > Lil Wayne :P

Maybe we find some common ground...

 

 

I never insult anyone for their music choices.  Dont really even get into too many arguments over music.  I'm opinionated, for sure but different strokes for different folks applies more to music than maybe anything else in this world.  Whatever sounds good in your ear, sounds good in your ear and nobody can tell you that you're wrong.

That said, I will smack the sh*t out of you for saying Blink 182 is better than Lil Wayne.  lol 

Lil Wayne is arguably the greatest of all time when it comes to world play.  The sh*t he can spit and the different flows he can use to get there is unbelievable.  He leaves me jaw dropped on some of his verses.  

Blink 182 isnt even in the conversation of greatest punk rock bands.  In fact, they're directly responsible for the death of the genre.

And common ground couldnt be further away posting Travis ******* Barker playing one of the worst rap songs ever made. 

Lets fight. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, JiF said:

I never insult anyone for their music choices.  Dont really even get into too many arguments over music.  I'm opinionated, for sure but different strokes for different folks applies more to music than maybe anything else in this world.  Whatever sounds good in your ear, sounds good in your ear and nobody can tell you that you're wrong.

That said, I will smack the sh*t out of you for saying Blink 182 is better than Lil Wayne.  lol 

Lil Wayne is arguably the greatest of all time when it comes to world play.  The sh*t he can spit and the different flows he can use to get there is unbelievable.  He leaves me jaw dropped on some of his verses.  

Blink 182 isnt even in the conversation of greatest punk rock bands.  In fact, they're directly responsible for the death of the genre.

And common ground couldnt be further away posting Travis ******* Barker playing one of the worst rap songs ever made. 

Lets fight. 

blink 182 wtf GIF

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 2:35 PM, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I'm going to see the Regrettes instead.

 

Seeing them on Saturday night in Philadelphia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toxik at the Kingsland on Friday night, simply amazing. Thirtieth anniversary of the release of Think This. Josh Christian is still an amazing guitarist, and the new guy they got on vocals is up there with the guys they had in the past.

Only downsides were nothing off the current release, and the fact it was supposed to be over by 11.30. I got there at 7 and discovered that the venue had added some local bands ("Cos it was Friday night") and lo and behold, Toxik weren't due on until 11.30.  So I sat in the bar and watched the baseball. 

Still, as I said, amazing. In addition to Think This, they played nearly all of World Circus too, total 80's thrash metal bliss. Another band off the bucket list. Only been waiting since I first heard Heart Attack on a compilation back in 88.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tower of Power in Tarrytown tonight

Still the best, most soulful, funkiest, tightest, horn band in history.

No need for the usual long review.  If you are still digging on TOP, you get not only get this reference, you know exactly how great a show this was.

To paraphrase the Funky Doctor, "Barr-UMPH" !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2019 at 12:37 AM, The Crimson King said:

Tower of Power in Tarrytown tonight

Still the best, most soulful, funkiest, tightest, horn band in history.

No need for the usual long review.  If you are still digging on TOP, you get not only get this reference, you know exactly how great a show this was.

To paraphrase the Funky Doctor, "Barr-UMPH" !

You're Still a Young Man is my favorite.  Love when they all say "I'm down on my knees" and the whole band, even the funky doctor with the bass sax, drop to their knees.  Last time I saw them, Doc Kupka had a hard time getting up from that position  😎

I have seen ToP many, many times, fom waaaaaaaay back when I was 19. We used to go watch them at My Father's Place (dumpy dive under the Northern Blvd overpass) in Roslyn, then we would go see them at the Bitter End in the Village the next night.  

A million different singers with the best horns in the business (although some of them have passed).  Was David Garibaldi the drummer?  Who was the singer this time (not that it ever matters)? In fact, I was at the Beacon on Friday for a concert and one of ToP's former trumpet guys was on stage.  

Did they do Squib Cakes?  Not the same without Lenny Pickett.  When they play in Manhattan, Pickett (who lives in NYC) usually comes on stage for a few songs, including, of course, Squib Cakes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just another amazing show. Was there Friday night at the Beacon!  Helps to be in the third row right in front of JB's favorite spot on stage.

 

jb3.jpg

jb1.jpg

jb2.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dcat said:

You're Still a Young Man is my favorite.  Love when they all say "I'm down on my knees" and the whole band, even the funky doctor with the bass sax, drop to their knees.  Last time I saw them, Doc Kupka had a hard time getting up from that position  😎

I have seen ToP many, many times, fom waaaaaaaay back when I was 19. We used to go watch them at My Father's Place (dumpy dive under the Northern Blvd overpass) in Roslyn, then we would go see them at the Bitter End in the Village the next night.  

A million different singers with the best horns in the business (although some of them have passed).  Was David Garibaldi the drummer?  Who was the singer this time (not that it ever matters)? In fact, I was at the Beacon on Friday for a concert and one of ToP's former trumpet guys was on stage.  

Did they do Squib Cakes?  Not the same without Lenny Pickett.  When they play in Manhattan, Pickett (who lives in NYC) usually comes on stage for a few songs, including, of course, Squib Cakes.

 

Hey, might have sat together at MFP for those shows. Just don't park under  Northern Blvd or the pigeons will bomb your car. 

No Squib Cakes and only one song from the new album. Announced another new album coming out in the spring from the same session.

Garibaldi was indeed on drums but they retired Rocco. Didn't get the new singer's name but even Emilio said that he was the best they have had in all these years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bay Strikes Back tour in the National Stadium in Dublin.

AKA Testament, Exodus and Death Angel.

How was it? My neck is still f**ked. Seriously though, all three bands on form, and it's great to see Holt back in Exodus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dweezil Zappa "Hot Rats Orchestra" at Tarrytown tonight. 

Beforehand, we had dinner alone in a local restaurant. For the concert, there was Jets late season level of no shows.

Show was pretty good as expected. Band was well schooled in the material and Dweezil himself can flat out play. In fact I think he is a level above his own Dad but that is probably largely due to the improvement in equipment since the old fella played. Dweezil played a goldtop LP with soapbars with an added single coil directly adjacent to the bridge PU. He also had his standard SG like his father's and an SSS Strat. Wanted to see his pedals but when I went up to the stage before the show some "meet and greet" AH was chatting with another of the type and gave me a hard time about moving so I could get in to see. "Why would you want to do that?", he asked, before turning his back to ignore me.

The set started out with a quick bit of Yellow Snow before going into the entire Hot Rats album in order. The sax player was no Underwood and the lack of electric violin was sorely missed. Still worth it to watch the guitar solos though. This was followed by another 1.5-2 hours of some of the toughest Zappa material in his catalog. I mean some of this stuff is hard, man. The guy was certainly a master composer if nothing else. 

Before the last piece, Dweezil announced that this would be the last show and they were cancelling the rest of the tour. He looked pained to announce it. The tour had just started and this is how he makes his living. Let's hope that he can reschedule for the summer. All I could think of is how hard they must have worked to nail this material. Quite a shame to waste it.

In any event, a toast to you young Mr. Zappa. You do your Dad proud.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Dweezil Zappa "Hot Rats Orchestra" at Tarrytown tonight. 

Beforehand, we had dinner alone in a local restaurant. For the concert, there was Jets late season level of no shows.

Show was pretty good as expected. Band was well schooled in the material and Dweezil himself can flat out play. In fact I think he is a level above his own Dad but that is probably largely due to the improvement in equipment since the old fella played. Dweezil played a goldtop LP with soapbars with an added single coil directly adjacent to the bridge PU. He also had his standard SG like his father's and an SSS Strat. Wanted to see his pedals but when I went up to the stage before the show some "meet and greet" AH was chatting with another of the type and gave me a hard time about moving so I could get in to see. "Why would you want to do that?", he asked, before turning his back to ignore me.

The set started out with a quick bit of Yellow Snow before going into the entire Hot Rats album in order. The sax player was no Underwood and the lack of electric violin was sorely missed. Still worth it to watch the guitar solos though. This was followed by another 1.5-2 hours of some of the toughest Zappa material in his catalog. I mean some of this stuff is hard, man. The guy was certainly a master composer if nothing else. 

Before the last piece, Dweezil announced that this would be the last show and they were cancelling the rest of the tour. He looked pained to announce it. The tour had just started and this is how he makes his living. Let's hope that he can reschedule for the summer. All I could think of is how hard they must have worked to nail this material. Quite a shame to waste it.

In any event, a toast to you young Mr. Zappa. You do your Dad proud.

Thanks very much for this great review.  Sounds like a phenomenal, and "deep into the vault", show.  I'm jealous.

Totally agree about Zappa's incredible talent as a composer.  I grew up with several musicians in the classical and jazz idioms.   Only rock person they would acknowledge was Zappa.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent concert 37 years ago today.

e9nBvSoEQXfkvJIs_TrhrBMhcpBEbXdGR1DfyuTF

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...