What do you want to see in tonight's preseason game?

drdetroit

I would like to see Fitz get three series tonight, and just show that he has control of the team.  

A lot of people appear to want to see Petty improve from last week.  I am curious on what people were expecting from him last week, and what he needs to do to show improvement.  

A lot of people appear to want to see Petty improve from last week.  I am curious on what people were expecting from him last week, and what he needs to do to show improvement.

A good start would be showing ability to identify the "Mike" backer.

good tackling - not bad tackling like we saw last game

Yeah - i agree cromartie wasn't the only one.   I just remember a quote form a jets coach talking about you're never sure who is going to show up - good or bad cromartie.  But you are right EVERYONE needs to wrap up much better.  Excited to see more of Mauldin IV as well.

A good start would be showing ability to identify the "Mike" backer.

So when you were watching the game last week, you said to yourself, how can he miss the Mike linebacker?

Veteran starters miss struggle to identify the Mike as well, and why NFL teams try to disguise him.   If that is the only criticism from Bowles from last weeks game, we should be pretty excited.  

So when you were watching the game last week, you said to yourself, how can he miss the Mike linebacker?

Veteran starters miss struggle to identify the Mike as well, and why NFL teams try to disguise him.   If that is the only criticism from Bowles from last weeks game, we should be pretty excited.

I didn't say anything to myself regarding his play. Don't know enough to critique a rookie who has a lot to learn. Maybe in a year or two.

But if the coach calls a player out on something publicly, it's obviously an area of concern. Even given it's something veteran QBs struggle with. If Bowels mentioned it, Petty must be worse than expected.

I'd say even becoming decent at it would be one of the first steps for any QB hoping to become NFL worthy.

I didn't say anything to myself regarding his play. Don't know enough to critique a rookie who has a lot to learn. Maybe in a year or two.

But if the coach calls a player out on something publicly, it's obviously an area of concern. Even given it's something veteran QBs struggle with. If Bowels mentioned it, Petty must be worse than expected.

I'd say even becoming decent at it would be one of the first steps for any QB hoping to become NFL worthy.

Calling out a spread QB in a check with me system getting called out for defense recognition in his first NFL game does not mean he must be worse than expected.  IMO, calling him out for the whole(main) reason he was drafted in the 4th round is better then calling him out for other first game concerns.  

He could have called him out on his footwork, the speed of the game, ball placement, playbook knowledge, and a plethora of other more telling public remarks.  Calling him out on the one aspect that forced him to the 4th round is not a reason for concern after one game.  Hell, Smith still can't identify a defense.    

We can all be sure that the coaching staff has him working on several aspects, and is why I was asking for the couch GMs opinion in the first place.

Calling out a spread QB in a check with me system getting called out for defense recognition in his first NFL game does not mean he must be worse than expected.  IMO, calling him out for the whole(main) reason he was drafted in the 4th round is better then calling him out for other first game concerns.  

He could have called him out on his footwork, the speed of the game, ball placement, playbook knowledge, and a plethora of other more telling public remarks.  Calling him out on the one aspect that forced him to the 4th round is not a reason for concern after one game.  Hell, Smith still can't identify a defense.    

We can all be sure that the coaching staff has him working on several aspects, and is why I was asking for the couch GMs opinion in the first place.

Well one of two things then:

1. Bowels was dumb to mention it. Why critique the kid for something he's known to be weak at (unless he's worse than expected)?

2. Petty is actually worse than expected.

My guess it's #2. Bowels and the staff had to know Petty would not be very good at reading a D. His comment seems to suggest Petty has even more to learn than expected.

Could try to judge many of the other things you mentioned, but I think that's kinda useless with rookie who has tons to learn. After he gets the basics down, then it'd be time to begin judging the guy. Long ways to go though. Til then, I'll be looking for any hints/comments about his progression with the basics of the game.

Maybe tonight we'll be able to see/hear him pointing out the mlb.

Well one of two things then:

1. Bowels was dumb to mention it. Why critique the kid for something he's known to be weak at (unless he's worse than expected)?

I don't agree. The press is going to be hounding him for a sound bit, and as a Parcels disciple, he is going to criticize him in some way.

2. Petty is actually worse than expected.

My guess it's #2. Bowels and the staff had to know Petty would not be very good at reading a D. His comment seems to suggest Petty has even more to learn than expected.

Then why wouldn't they work Heaps in more

Could try to judge many of the other things you mentioned, but I think that's kinda useless with rookie who has tons to learn. After he gets the basics down, then it'd be time to begin judging the guy. Long ways to go though. Til then, I'll be looking for any hints/comments about his progression with the basics of the game.

I am not judging anyone. I simply asked what was expected of him in week one, and how he can improve on it. That seems to be the theme on Petty, improvement from last week.

Maybe tonight we'll be able to see/hear him pointing out the mlb.

I would recommend you do some research on disguising the Mike.

I don't agree. The press is going to be hounding him for a sound bit, and as a Parcels disciple, he is going to criticize him in some way.

Ok.

Then why wouldn't they work Heaps in more

Because Petty is a rookie and has to learn.  No reason to give up hope on the kid.  Takes any guy a while to learn.

I am not judging anyone. I simply asked what was expected of him in week one, and how he can improve on it. That seems to be the theme on Petty, improvement from last week.

And I gave my opinion.

I would recommend you do some research on disguising the Mike.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Archived