Steelers meet with Tackle, Law rejected

StillerPaul

Steelers interested in Lions' mammoth offensive tackle McDougle

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If Stockar McDougle signs as a free agent with the Steelers, he will rival Max Starks at the right tackle position in more ways -- or weighs -- than one.

The Detroit Lions list McDougle as 6 feet 6, 335 pounds, but he admits to having weighed 370. Starks, the Steelers' third-round draft choice last season, is 6-7 and is listed at 321 pounds but weighed closer to 360 pounds at Florida. He is probably is closer to 340 today.

McDougle was one of four players who visited the Steelers yesterday and likely the only one they are seriously interested in. Cornerback Ty Law met with team doctors again yesterday and they rejected him for medical reasons. Law, released by the New England Patriots last month, has a fractured foot known as a Lis Franc injury.

Two other players visited and went home -- oft-injured Adrian Klemm, a backup tackle and guard with the New England Patriots, and tight end Marcellus Rivers of the New York Giants. All are unrestricted free agents.

Rivers was a backup with the New York Giants the past four seasons. According to the New York Daily News, he and his wife filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy last year and stopped payment on his last check to a woman who settled a civil court case with him a year earlier. The woman accused Rivers and three other Oklahoma State players of sexual assault in 1999. Stillwater, Okla., police never charged Rivers or the other players, and the woman sued the police department for not pursuing the case.

McDougle, unlike the other players, stayed overnight and will return to the Steelers' UPMC facility in the morning. They began negotiations with his agent, Drew Rosenhaus.

"There's a huge interest on our behalf," Rosenhaus said. "We're going to do our very best to hopefully make him a Steeler. We'll see what happens."

McDougle, 28, started at right tackle the past two seasons after injuries marred his first two seasons in the league. The Lions drafted him in the first round in 2000 from Oklahoma. McDougle, who will compete with Starks at tackle, began his NFL career as a guard. The Steelers are looking for depth at guard and tackle.

The Lions are not actively pursuing McDougle, who also visited the Miami Dolphins. Apparently the Steelers have not reached their Lions cap limit. Since Kevin Colbert and, later, Ron Hughes left the Lions to join the Steelers' front office, they have signed at least 10 of their former players. Five former Lions were with the Steelers last season. Hughes was Detroit's player personnel head when the Lions drafted McDougle.

Klemm has picked up three Super Bowl rings with the Patriots, but various injuries have prevented him from playing much. He missed all but two games last season with a leg injury.

"I have had some freak injuries," said Klemm, whose father grew up in Homewood and who still has grandparents in the area. "I just have had some kind of bad breaks. I'm healthy right now. ... I'm not a wreck like some people might think that I am."

Klemm came here after visiting the Falcons and said he will visit another team he would not identify.

Law won't sign anywhere until he can take a physical or workout.

If he's signed before that, An NFL team is crazy. You'd be signing him on name value and reputation alone.

Whomever signs Law, has to structure the deal in a way where they could free themselves from him in case, His injury effects him longterm.

Steelers need CB help. I don't know why they are just hanging around and being content with Willie Williams and company. They got humiliated in The AFC Championship game. That secondary got exposed.

"I have had some freak injuries," said Klemm, whose father grew up in Homewood and who still has grandparents in the area. "I just have had some kind of bad breaks. I'm healthy right now. ... I'm not a wreck like some people might think that I am."

What's the difference between a "freak" injury and a "normal" injury.

Both will keep you off the field.

This guy is your classic underachiever.

Thats why they are so interested in Law, they need help there. I think they are hoping Ricardo Colclough can earn a starting job this year as well.

It looks like they'll most likely sign McDougle within the next couple of days. both he and the team are wanting to get it done from what i've heard.

Thats why they are so interested in Law, they need help there. I think they are hoping Ricardo Colclough can earn a starting job this year as well.

It looks like they'll most likely sign McDougle within the next couple of days. both he and the team are wanting to get it done from what i've heard.

McDougle fits the style of offense that Pittsburgh plays plus he's going to get some great coaching at the OL position with The Steelers.

Law won't sign anywhere until he can take a physical or workout.

If he's signed before that, An NFL team is crazy. You'd be signing him on name value and reputation alone.

Whomever signs Law, has to structure the deal in a way where they could free themselves from him in case, His injury effects him longterm.

Steelers need CB help. I don't know why they are just hanging around and being content with Willie Williams and company. They got humiliated in The AFC Championship game. That secondary got exposed.

I think it is all upto Ty. If he was serious about wanting Bailey type money, he will have to wait, but even then it will be late into the off-season and the good team should be short on cap room.

If a team is smart, sign him to a vet minimum with LTBE bonuses in the contract.

Archived