Jets Chant

Ghost

Who the hell are the we that SAR refers to? Him and like 3 others? The majority of Jet fans appreciate Fireman Ed and wish him well, thats whats important.

Do you actually go to the games?  Are you a season ticket holder who has sat next to the same fans for years?

Well I am, and I can tell you that we don't care about this old guy, this stupid chant, and the drama being foisted upon us by the Fire Idzik marketing machine.  As stated earlier, this chant is a touchdown celebration, it's the New York Rangers "GO-OH-OH-OH-OH-AL" song.  It doesn't intimidate opponents, it doesn't pump up the players, it's just what beer drunk fans have done to celebrate a touchdown.  BFD.  It's not come significant cultural moment.  It's not even as important as the Mets and their stupid centerfield Apple.

Either way, it's over now.  Ed is retired.  The chant will again slow to a crawl and vanish.  All the Jets need are loud fans who intimidate opponents on defensive third downs and as long as they play hard for a good head coach they'll get that, no human mascot with fragile feelings required.

SAR I

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you actually go to the games?  Are you a season ticket holder who has sat next to the same fans for years?

Well I am, and I can tell you that we don't care about this old guy, this stupid chant, and the drama being foisted upon us by the Fire Idzik marketing machine.  As stated earlier, this chant is a touchdown celebration, it's the New York Rangers "GO-OH-OH-OH-OH-AL" song.  It doesn't intimidate opponents, it doesn't pump up the players, it's just what beer drunk fans have done to celebrate a touchdown.  BFD.  It's not come significant cultural moment.  It's not even as important as the Mets and their stupid centerfield Apple.

Either way, it's over now.  Ed is retired.  The chant will again slow to a crawl and vanish.  All the Jets need are loud fans who intimidate opponents on defensive third downs and as long as they play hard for a good head coach they'll get that, no human mascot with fragile feelings required.

SAR I

Yes, Been going to almost every game since the early 90's

Fireman Ed isn't even a jets fan, not anymore at least.  It isn't about supporting the team, it's all about the attention and adulation for him.

+1

Just look at what he's orchestrated, yet another Fireman Ed Look At Me moment.

Manipulate the Jets to ask him to come back.  Check.

Make the move on Opening Day when the Jets are undefeated.  Check.

Show up pretending to 'pass the torch' and see if the reaction is favorable.  Check.

Act nostalgic and resigned and sad puppy and wait for attention.  Check.

It's nauseating, almost as sickening as the bi-planers who are trying to profit off of the fake drama.  Ed quit on the team, no one cares if he comes back or stays away.  He knows that.  So he's gone.  Perhaps now we can get a real mascot like a furry rabbit who knows when to keep his mouth shut and can't embarrass the franchise when his fragile feelings get hurt.

SAR I

Quote #1: "There was a lot of energy out there, something that I didn't think we had in preseason,. That was Fireman Ed getting us started -- I know he's been gone for a little bit, and we need him. So I hope he's listening to this because there's a lot of talk that he's trying to pass the torch to someone else, but you can't duplicate that. So we need him to get us going. It's not just the offense, defense and special teams. We need that 12th man, and it starts with Fireman Ed. So Fireman Ed, don't pass the torch." - Brandon Marshall, WR NY Jets

Quote #2: "I want to thank the crowd, I want to thank Fireman Ed for coming back, and just being electrifying again. They played a big part in this game." - Darrelle Revis, CB, NY Jets

Quote #3: "How about Fireman Ed today thoooo?? Thanks for coming back and getting it going!! I was on the sideline participating as well lol" - Damon Harrison, Nose Tackle, NY Jets

Quote #4: "Ruh Roh" - SAR I, JetNation.com Resident Clown

Quote #1: "There was a lot of energy out there, something that I didn't think we had in preseason,. That was Fireman Ed getting us started -- I know he's been gone for a little bit, and we need him. So I hope he's listening to this because there's a lot of talk that he's trying to pass the torch to someone else, but you can't duplicate that. So we need him to get us going. It's not just the offense, defense and special teams. We need that 12th man, and it starts with Fireman Ed. So Fireman Ed, don't pass the torch." - Brandon Marshall, WR NY Jets

Quote #2: "I want to thank the crowd, I want to thank Fireman Ed for coming back, and just being electrifying again. They played a big part in this game." - Darrelle Revis, CB, NY Jets

Quote #3: "How about Fireman Ed today thoooo?? Thanks for coming back and getting it going!! I was on the sideline participating as well lol" - Damon Harrison, Nose Tackle, NY Jets

Quote #4: "Ruh Roh" - SAR I, JetNation.com Resident Clown

Quote #5:  "Wait, Ed led a measly two chants and was done by the first quarter and Jets players are giving him credit?"

JetMan, Torch Bearer

Quote #6:  "Chant?  What chant?  The LTE connectivity is really good this season, here on the Yahoo Fantasy app it says I just got six points off of the Decker catch."

Bob Johnson, PSL Owner

Quote #7:  "What?  Wait.  That can't be right.  Look at those metrics again.  After all that press yesterday I still can't make any money doing this marketing schtick?  What about a podcast?  Social media?  A reality TV show?  Get Ed back on the phone.  We can make money off of him, I know we can."

FireIdzik.com, JetNation.com Resident Opportunist and Failed Capitalist

SAR I

What a strange thing to care a lot about.

Unfortunately it's the problem that goes along with a mascot that is a real person and has fragile feelings.

I've never seen a kid in a Fireman Ed t-shirt.  I've never seen a Fireman Ed mug. Who even cares?   But the collateral damage is a big deal.  I've never seen a stuffed mascot quit on his team and be quoted in the papers the next morning.  What do we do when Ed passes away?  Do we sprinkle his ashes in the endzone?  Do we have a moment of silence?  Wear jersey patches? 

Enough already.  Enough.  The guy retired and he didn't have a damned thing to do with yesterday's win or yesterday's impassioned crowd; the Jets and their fans did that all by themselves.

SAR I

Fireman Ed SHOULD be back leading the “J-E-T-S” chant during the next New York Jets home game. He represents the best of us. The man had the honor of leading the greatest chant in professional sports for almost 30 years before walking away from it all two years ago. He didn’t stop whipping Jets fans into a frenzy because it was what he wanted to do. He stepped away because it was what he HAD to do.

For those that do not know why he walked away – or go out of their way to bash this legendary Jets fan – allow me to dispel some of the common myths.

Fireman Ed is a Dolphins fan:

Ed’s father was not a football fan so he was not born in to a Jets household like many of us were. He was a casual Dolphins fan as a child until he attended his first Jets game at Shea Stadium with his brother. From that point forward, he has bled green and white. To hold something against a person for a decision he made as a child is absurd. As somebody pointed out on twitter today, that is like making fun of him because at one point he believed in Santa Claus. Ed has had Jets season tickets since 1975 – 40 years and counting.  Speaking of his tickets…

Fireman Ed was on the Jets payroll:

This is absolutely false. Fireman Ed has never once taken a penny from the New York Jets. He does not get free tickets. He led the chant for all of those years for one reason – because he loves the Jets and he loves the fans.

Some fans called Ed a Jets shill because he switched from his #42 Harper jersey to the #6 Sanchez jersey during the 2012 campaign. That is ridiculous. Ed was trying to support the quarterback at a time where many Jets fans were trying to run him out of town. Regardless of how anybody feels about Mark Sanchez, no fan should be attacked for supporting a player on the roster. Fast forward to the night of the “Buttfumble”…

Fireman Ed quit on the Jets:

Fireman Ed did not quit on the Jets. He is still a Jets season ticket holder and has been to every game since that Thanksgiving debacle. At halftime of that game, he went to the bathroom and was assaulted at a urinal by a fellow Jets “fan” because he was wearing a Sanchez jersey. Let that sink in for a second. Society has gotten to the point where a legendary Jets fan got sucker punched while using the bathroom because he was wearing the jersey of the starting quarterback.

Fearing for the safety of his family (who was attending the game with him) he quickly went back to his seats and told them that it was time to leave. With national television cameras on him, the perception was not reality. Ed was not quitting on the team. That theory is laughable considering that he was at every game during the Rich Kotite era leading the chant at a time that there was not much of anything to cheer about.

There is nothing special about Fireman Ed? Any fan can lead a chant:

I have been fortunate enough to become friends with Fireman Ed over the last 6 months. I didn’t know him before I started the BringBackEd.com campaign. During the campaign, I found out what was so special about him. We received thousands of emails, Facebook messages and tweets from Jets fans all over the world with the stories about how much they miss him.

One particular email stands out in my mind. It was from a man that sent me two pictures. Both photos had 3 people in it. The first was a photo of him (as a 7 year old kid) posing outside of Giants Stadium with his father and Fireman Ed. The second photo was the same guy (now 30) posing outside of MetLife Stadium with his 7 year old son and Fireman Ed.

The amount of support that the petition got was awe inspiring. Every single person who signed it is responsible for bringing Ed back yesterday, even if it was only for one day. The Jets front office unsuccessfully tried to bring Ed back last year. The reason that our petition had better results is because it was the fans asking this time. Why was yesterday so special?

Edwin Anzalone gets the RESPECT he deserves:

Ed still loves leading the chant and getting MetLife Stadium fired up. Nobody can do it like him – that much is clear. Let this be an open message to the Jets fans who waste their time hating Ed.

You aren’t hurting Ed, you are killing a tradition that was supposed to be something that unified our stadium. You are killing the greatest chant in professional sports and you are doing your part to ruin the game day atmosphere.

Take a look in the mirror and be ashamed of yourselves. I hope it burns you up that Brandon Marshall handed him that football. I hope it made you sick that Darrelle Revis gave him respect in the post game press conference. I hope you read Damon Harrison’s tweets after the game and it sunk in how terrible you have been acting towards a fellow member of your Jets family. Those guys are on OUR side. Manish Mehta is on yours.

Your faction of Jets fans no longer gets to speak for us. If you fools want to feel like you have won because Ed won’t be leading the chant – good for you. The truth is that the people who support Ed won. We won because at the end of the day, Ed’s final chant will not be the same day that some idiot sucker punched him in a MetLife Stadium bathroom.

Fireman Ed SHOULD be back leading the chant during the Jets next home game. Unfortunately, he will not. Will he ever come back for a few more chants?

As Ed likes to say, “Never say never.”

this article was inspired by Maxman's thank you thread and Sar's disgraceful lack of understanding of what really matters.

I am so happily on the side of current players like Revis, Marshall, Snacks, Douzable & David Harris... past players like Bart Scott, Ladainian Tomlinson & Wayne Chrebet... Fans like Maxman... Tailgates like L7 & L11 and the countless number of fans across the country who understand what being a Jets fan is all about. 

The other side of the argument has the support of Sar and Manish Mehta... And... Who else?

Jealousy and hatred is an ugly thing, Sar... One of these days you will wake up and realize what a POS you really are and stop hiding behind your keyboard for the attention that you so miserably crave. 

this article was inspired by Maxman's thank you thread and Sar's disgraceful lack of understanding of what really matters.

I am so happily on the side of current players like Revis, Marshall, Snacks, Douzable & David Harris... past players like Bart Scott, Ladainian Tomlinson & Wayne Chrebet... Fans like Maxman... Tailgates like L7 & L11 and the countless number of fans across the country who understand what being a Jets fan is all about. 

The other side of the argument has the support of Sar and Manish Mehta... And... Who else?

Jealousy and hatred is an ugly thing, Sar... One of these days you will wake up and realize what a POS you really are and stop hiding behind your keyboard for the attention that you so miserably crave. 

I posted the article in this thread so everyone could just read it without having to leave this site.

I have written 100000 times about how much I appreciate Ed and everything he has done. I have written about things that Ed does that nobody knows about. It is just the world we live in today in a lot of ways. I have seen fans say things about Ed that I know aren't true. People can believe whatever they want, but Ed never really struck me as the kind of guy that would lose a minute of sleep over idle gossip.

Ed seems like an old school guy that wears his heart on his sleeve. That is what makes him so great.

I never said this publicly before but I was at a Jets event last year and I had a conversation with Bruce Harper about Ed. Someone made a joke about Ed being money hungry. I told Bruce Harper about some of the dealings that I have had with Ed. When I asked Ed to call a young Jets fan who had just experienced a tremendous loss, Ed was immediately willing to help out. Ed has done countless appearances that I have first hand knowledge about. He never once asked for or expected a penny.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I know some people don't like that Ed stepped away. I respect everyone's opinion, when I spoke to Ed he told me he left because it wasn't safe. He told me the story about being confronted and that is why he left. The article above says he was sucker punched, that isn't how Ed relayed the story to me but that doesn't matter. I have seen times that he has been harassed. I am sure he just got fed up which is more than understandable.

Ed really didn't want to come back full time. He just didn't want the chant to die. And that is what was happening to the chant after the fan poll last season.

Thank you Ed! This chant will not die. I know you will do it again...maybe in a big spot during the regular season. Maybe in the playoffs or the Super Bowl. But this chant will live on.

Not the jealousy card again. Yeah, we're all jealous because what we aspired to be as children was a team mascot.   And we all wanted the type of mascot attention that gets us beat up in bathrooms and utter indifference from 80,000 people. 

It's not like some man's lifes work has gone down the drain here, it's not like something important has been built and torn down,  I don't think the Potvin Sucks guy is weeping and I'm sure that Pat The Patriot is hanging in a storage closet somewhere, Mascot Nation is safe.

And as far as morals go, the irony.   Your little speech above is really touching coming from the person who single-handedly publicly humiliated an NFL executive and forced his family in exile to Jacksonville.  What was that you said? "A disgraceful lack of understanding of what really matters."  Got that right.

Ed had his first quarter moment and props from Jets players at his retirement yesterday, he's at peace and fans can move on to something more important like what brand of laundry detergent to use, looks like everyone is content except you. Like Ed, you need to let it go.

SAR I

And as far as morals go, the irony.   Your little speech above is really touching coming from the person who single-handedly publicly humiliated an NFL executive and forced his family in exile to Jacksonville.  What was that you said? "A disgraceful lack of understanding of what really matters."  Got that right.

SAR I

Oh.. so now you are speaking out of both sides of your mouth. At least pick a side, you hypocrite. It was only a few weeks ago that you called me a "hero" for that campaign and told me that you owe me a couple steaks for "getting rid of Idzik and Rex".. now you are saying that I "forced a family in to exile"… that family is now collecting TWO checks from professional football teams and is doing just fine for themselves.. and our team seems to be headed in the right direction as well. I am neither one of those two sides that you have characterized me as. 

The difference between us? At least I have the balls to have an opinion and put my name to it. I have the courage to walk out in that parking lot at tailgates knowing that there are some people who didn't love that campaign - but I don't hide behind a keyboard and pretend I am some kind of tough guy. I walk right up to those people and explain my side of things. By the end of the conversation, we are drinking beers together and doing J-E-T-S chants. You are a coward who would NEVER say any of the things you say on these forums to anybody's face unless your "cousin" was around. Prove me wrong. 

I've always looked at "super fans" as the whack pack of the stadium, and Ed is no different.  They are amusing, and a touch sad but it starts to get a little weird when they want you to take them serious or try to brand themselves like Ed and his circle has.

Ed's circle is pretty much our star defensive player.. our star offensive player.. players in the ring of honor.. the guys who started the chant at Shea Stadium.. 80-85% of Jets fans and probably 99% of the people who have actually met him.. 

Your circle is a miserable bunch led by Sar and Manish Mehta. 

Pick a side. 

Ed's circle is pretty much our star defensive player.. our star offensive player.. players in the ring of honor.. the guys who started the chant at Shea Stadium.. 80-85% of Jets fans and probably 99% of the people who have actually met him.. 

Your circle is a miserable bunch led by Sar and Manish Mehta. 

Pick a side. 

I refuse to believe this is serious enough to have "sides".  I think Ed is a weirdo and quitter.  He puts himself out there and wants the attention so I don't feel bad saying that.  Put me on whatever side of this weird little battle you like.

Oh.. so now you are speaking out of both sides of your mouth. At least pick a side, you hypocrite. It was only a few weeks ago that you called me a "hero" for that campaign and told me that you owe me a couple steaks for "getting rid of Idzik and Rex".. now you are saying that I "forced a family in to exile"… that family is now collecting TWO checks from professional football teams and is doing just fine for themselves.. and our team seems to be headed in the right direction as well. I am neither one of those two sides that you have characterized me as. 

I've been very consistent in my views of you and the causes you get behind.  And I've done it respectfully and without personal attacks.  You just called me "jealous", "ugly", a "coward", and a "POS" for which I am owed an apology.

Regarding hypocrisy, you can't stand behind Ed as Mr. Righteous after what you did to John Idzik.  You can't sit here with any credibility on how one man in a discussion forum should treat Ed after his service to the Jets after you humiliated the Idzik family in front of tens of millions of people.  Ed can survive a JetNation critic.  John Idzik couldn't survive ESPN, NBC, CNN, ABC, FOX, YouTube, and the scores of social media sites that your biplane stunt and billboard stunt put him through.  Call John's daughter Holly, a 19 year old student, and ask her what she thinks of your diatribe on "craving attention" and "a disgraceful lack of understanding of what really matters."  Ask her if the two paychecks make up for what you put her and her family through.

The difference between us? At least I have the balls to have an opinion and put my name to it. I have the courage to walk out in that parking lot at tailgates knowing that there are some people who didn't love that campaign - but I don't hide behind a keyboard and pretend I am some kind of tough guy. I walk right up to those people and explain my side of things. By the end of the conversation, we are drinking beers together and doing J-E-T-S chants. You are a coward who would NEVER say any of the things you say on these forums to anybody's face unless your "cousin" was around. Prove me wrong. 

No, the difference between us is that I want to have debates with a handful of Jets fans in a quiet discussion forum and you want to make money.  You decide to humiliate John Idzik and his family for money.  You decide to support Ed Anzalone for money.  You're not a Jets fan.  You're an opportunist.  Look at what you've accomplished over the past two years.  Idzik is a shamed joke and can't show his face in public.  Ed came back to a half empty stadium and is already yesterday's news.  Klecko and the Hall Of Fame you've apparently abandoned.  You seriously think you're doing good here?  You really think Jets fans appreciate this and can't see what your real motives are?

You're now in Minute 17 and the 15 you were allocated expired Sunday afternoon.  Don't respond to this, put me on ignore, and take this act to another team whose welcome you haven't worn out.

SAR I

Much like your views on Fireman Ed - the way you attack me is to make things up and hope that somebody - anybody - will believe you. 

You are full of crap and nothing about the way you debate is respectful in ANY way. All you do is attack people personally. And again, have the balls to walk up to me and say it to me. I am not hard to find. I will tell you where I tailgate. I will tell you where my seats are. We can set up a time to sit down in a bar and discuss it before a game or after a game. Have the balls to say the things you say about Fireman Ed to his face. He isn't hard to find either. If you want, I can set up that meeting too. Or else, STFU because your big keyboard fingers write checks that your teeny tiny little body can't cash. And I am getting sick and tired of you popping off your mouth talking about things that you have absolutely NO CLUE what you are talking about. 

I do think that Sar and Fire Idzik should probably both put each other on ignore at this point.

The only thing I am going to chime in with here is Sar was accused of hiding. He came to our tailgate and he spoke to everyone. I am not sure how that is hiding, we tailgate at Tailgate Joe's and it is a pretty damn large tailgate. I think it is safe to say it is the largest tailgate at the stadium. My point is Sar and I have disagreed on the majority of topics. Sar has been critical of Tailgate Joe. He came up to us, he spoke to everyone.

I am in no way shape or form saying I agree with any of Sar's opinions. But I am not sure how he is hiding if he posted his thoughts in the JetNation forums and then went to the tailgate that we are all at...that doesn't seem like hiding.

At any rate this conversation has been had a million times. So it is probably best if you two guys just agree to disagree.

Much like your views on Fireman Ed - the way you attack me is to make things up and hope that somebody - anybody - will believe you. 

You are full of crap and nothing about the way you debate is respectful in ANY way. All you do is attack people personally. And again, have the balls to walk up to me and say it to me. I am not hard to find. I will tell you where I tailgate. I will tell you where my seats are. We can set up a time to sit down in a bar and discuss it before a game or after a game. Have the balls to say the things you say about Fireman Ed to his face. He isn't hard to find either. If you want, I can set up that meeting too. Or else, STFU because your big keyboard fingers write checks that your teeny tiny little body can't cash. And I am getting sick and tired of you popping off your mouth talking about things that you have absolutely NO CLUE what you are talking about. 

Alrighty, we are done here.

This is silly you guys should just use the ignore feature. Threatening to meet up and settle this in the school yard? Yeah I am locking this thread, that isn't what we are about here.

Archived