fitz= worst qb maybe ever to start for a jets team

kmnj

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to get a little concerned at the lack of arm strength displayed by fitz so far.  Petty has impressed me in the second game.  Geno I could care less if I ever see on the field again.  Next weeks game will be very telling.  

The thread title alone shows tremendous lack of historical knowledge of the NY JETS.

OP should be banned......

When I read the OP's post I was going to respond similarly but there's no way I could've said it so succinctly.  Fully agree that the OP should be banned. 

that guy did take the overrated Ken O'Brien's team and win a playoff game.  Pat Ryan was a great backup QB, spot starter type.  That is what Fitz should be in this league but unfortunately for him he has had to start.

Fully agree.  Pat Ryan was a very solid backup.  And not only did he win a playoff game I'm pretty sure he got us the lead in the Cleveland game the next week before getting injured (forcing Kenny O'Brien back in the game). 

Pat Ryan does not deserve the criticism of this thread IMO. He was just fine in his role. 

Fully agree.  Pat Ryan was a very solid backup.  And not only did he win a playoff game I'm pretty sure he got us the lead in the Cleveland game the next week before getting injured (forcing Kenny O'Brien back in the game). 

Pat Ryan does not deserve the criticism of this thread IMO. He was just fine in his role. 

Ryan got one score in Cleveland.  

no I don't.  They were good but not as good.  Again, led the league in rush offense, stacking the box with Sanchez being useless most games, the leagues number 1 defense, which the SE didn't match.  

You sir are so clueless.

And to say Sanchez was the reason we lost both afccg when he was the best jet on the field is ridiculous.

I know you love Geno (until he's cut this off season) but come on its getting really old.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

Ryan got one score in Cleveland.  

Pat Ryan    NYJ    6    11    103    1

And it was to get the team a 7-0 lead.  A backup QB in a road playoff game the week after winning a wildcard game.  I'm not saying he was a star but he was a very capable backup QB.  

Fitzpatrick's production over the past five seasons lines up almost exactly with the production over the same span for veteran starters playing on much more expensive contracts. Jay Cutler, Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton average $16.87 million in annual salary compensation, compared to $3.625 million for Fitzpatrick, but there is virtually no difference between those players' production.

Sanchez took hits that would have got a player thrown out if it was Brady,Peyton,Rogers,Bree's etc..

that's what fans say.  About guys they like.  

Now you saying the elite qb's don't get preferential treatment?? You really are a nut..LOL

fitz is TERRIBLE-maybe the worst to ever put on the Jets uniform-there is a reason he bounces from team to team -he SUCKS-I was at the game as always(I know it is just preseason) but dude is TERRIBLE-even in an exhibition he refuses to throw the long ball-those 5 yard passes over and over again were awful to watch-reminds me of chad when his arm was shot but chad at one time was a pretty solid qb for the jets- we have decker and marshall use them-I would rather the Jets start Petty this year-he is raw but will play with heart and emotion and be willing to throw it-Fitz looked like he would rather be at home instead of playing and watching his practices(we talking practice in my best Iverson voice) he looks awful there too.

Way to many pages to read but you must have not been around to see Bubby Brister and his shovel pass to the wrong team, Glenn Foley, Neil O'Donnell, Mark Sanchez in 2012, Browning Nagle, Boomer Esiason, and the list goes on.

Sanchez took hits that would have got a player thrown out if it was Brady,Peyton,Rogers,Bree's etc..

that's what fans say.  About guys they like.  

Now you saying the elite qb's don't get preferential treatment?? You really are a nut..LOL

Its not enough to talk about.  Regardless if you get a rare call, they QB is still getting hit, which was his point.  And we're comparing Sanchez to O'Brien, neither got elite protection.  So how am I the nut? :D

no I don't.  They were good but not as good.  Again, led the league in rush offense, stacking the box with Sanchez being useless most games, the leagues number 1 defense, which the SE didn't match.  

You sir are so clueless.

And to say Sanchez was the reason we lost both afccg when he was the best jet on the field is ridiculous.

I know you love Geno (until he's cut this off season) but come on its getting really old.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

Please point out where I ever said that Sanchez was the reason we lost either AFCCG.  Never did.  Just as I don't love Geno.

But hey, I'm clueless.  Whats your excuse?

what part of the most pts he ever led an O to in a playoff game was 10 pts did you not understand? what shootout are you winning scoring 10 pts?

it's awesome he can put up big #s against Miami in the regular season, it's a different animal in postseason. 

Where are you getting 10 points?  Because your wrong.  Not that what he did in a couple of games defines his ability to pass downfield or to play and win shootouts, which his career proves he was capable of doing.  

In the games he started.  he did "lead" them to 13 pts at Cleveland coming in for an injured Ryan BUT the lone TD they scored was the first play after an INT where Freeman had a long TD run so in reality he led them to 6 pts.

vs. NE 1985 WC game he led O to 7 pts

at hou 1991 WC game he led O to 10 pts.

So you think Kenny's team with the Sack Exchange,Freeman,Hector,Toon,Walker and Shuler didn't have the talent of the 2009 team??

the leading the league in rush O is so overrated, we had a good, not great, run game.  Freeman and hector were better than Jones and Greene.  our rush totals were inflated facing Buf twice and Oakland plus some garbage time totals. 

the leagues #1 D blew 3 late leads that season then blew a double digit lead in the title game.

you are allowed to but imaging those stone feet against faster, stronger defenders of today? Imagine hat JJ watt would do to him?

Can you imagine if he didn't have to deal with late hits, high hits or low hits?  If his WRs could run free like they today?   Yeah, today's passing game is so much harder.  As if the OL isn't bigger, faster and stronger today too. 

Question, how many times have the Jets QBs had to deal with JJ Watts?  I'd rather deal with Watts and today's rules than with Bruce Smith back in the day.  Twice a year.  Not once in a career. 

yes, b/c Sanchez has never had to deal w/ late hits or illegal hits.  The OLs are bigger, faster, stronger too but the difference in athletes on D is much greater from that era to today than on the OL.

Bruce Smith was a rookie in 1985 which was O'Brien's best season.  by the time Bruce was one of the best in the game O'Brien's best days were behind him already.

the bottom line is Ken in his era could not win a playoff game w/ more talent around him in a weaker AFC and w/o an elite team in the division.  Ken could get WC home games, mark was unable to and yet mark still helped us win 4 playoff games and Ken helped us win zero.

So you think Kenny's team with the Sack Exchange,Freeman,Hector,Toon,Walker and Shuler didn't have the talent of the 2009 team??

the leading the league in rush O is so overrated, we had a good, not great, run game.  Freeman and hector were better than Jones and Greene.  our rush totals were inflated facing Buf twice and Oakland plus some garbage time totals. 

the leagues #1 D blew 3 late leads that season then blew a double digit lead in the title game.

Theres no point if your argument is that leading the league in rushing is overrated.  Or if your point is because Freeman was a better back its wrong.  That season the Jets backs were better than Freeman and Hector.  Always love the last gap desperate move to down play the opposition.  When we were talking Kenny O'Brien you said this too.  The opposition is to blame.  And we'll add in the good old garbage time excuse.  You mean in 86 when we got out to 10-1 there wasn't garbage time?  Come on, why are you trying so hard to say leading the league in rushing was meaningless?  Because anyone who knows the game will tell you it was the main reason the offense did anything and along with the D is the reason they could win without any contribution from the QB

what part of the most pts he ever led an O to in a playoff game was 10 pts did you not understand? what shootout are you winning scoring 10 pts?

it's awesome he can put up big #s against Miami in the regular season, it's a different animal in postseason. 

Where are you getting 10 points?  Because your wrong.  Not that what he did in a couple of games defines his ability to pass downfield or to play and win shootouts, which his career proves he was capable of doing.  

In the games he started.  he did "lead" them to 13 pts at Cleveland coming in for an injured Ryan BUT the lone TD they scored was the first play after an INT where Freeman had a long TD run so in reality he led them to 6 pts.

13 points against Cleveland

you are allowed to but imaging those stone feet against faster, stronger defenders of today? Imagine hat JJ watt would do to him?

Can you imagine if he didn't have to deal with late hits, high hits or low hits?  If his WRs could run free like they today?   Yeah, today's passing game is so much harder.  As if the OL isn't bigger, faster and stronger today too. 

Question, how many times have the Jets QBs had to deal with JJ Watts?  I'd rather deal with Watts and today's rules than with Bruce Smith back in the day.  Twice a year.  Not once in a career. 

Bruce Smith was a rookie in 1985 which was O'Brien's best season.  by the time Bruce was one of the best in the game O'Brien's best days were behind him already.

Do you just make this sh*t up as you go along? Bruce Smith had 15 sacks in 1986, his second in the league, when O'Brien was very much in his prime.  Smith had double digit sack seasons in each of the next four years, culminating with 19 in 1990, when he was DPOY. 

O'Brien was the Jets starter that entire time - he was 30. O'Brien's best days were behind him because the team was being dismantled by Joe Walton's ineptitude. 

the multi quote thing does not work properly anymore.

savage: you are correct: sanchez would get killed and never get flags.  ken would get killed too but on legal hits b/c of holding the ball too long and his stone feet.

Tuscany:  I agree on Ryan though I think the Cle game was tied at 7 when he left.  of course O'Brien led the Jets to 13 pts over the last 5 qtrs. of play(and "led" is being used loosely as the lone Td was after an INT where on the first play Freeman had a long TD run to give us a late 20-10 lead).

O'Brien killed our chances in 1986, we should have been a SB team.  we had some injuries and it wasn't all on him but he led us to 9 PPG the last 5 needing just 1 win for our 1st AFC East title(we had a 2 game lead on NE w/ 5 games to play, NE lost 2 games in those 5 and still won the division) then we crush KC and are off to a good start at Cle and he leads us to 13 pts in 5 qtrs. which would be the equivalent of about 10 pts in a 4 qtr game but yeah he'd have been able to win a shootout for us against Indy in 2009.

Jetlife:  those other 3 QBs are not ones I'd want our QB to be compared to as they have a grand total of ONE playoff win btw them and that was Cutler against a 7-9 Seattle team in 2010 BUT at least those QBs have been able to get to the playoffs something Fitz has never been close to.

#s never tell the whole story.

Theres no point if your argument is that leading the league in rushing is overrated.  Or if your point is because Freeman was a better back its wrong.  That season the Jets backs were better than Freeman and Hector.  Always love the last gap desperate move to down play the opposition.  When we were talking Kenny O'Brien you said this too.  The opposition is to blame.  And we'll add in the good old garbage time excuse.  You mean in 86 when we got out to 10-1 there wasn't garbage time?  Come on, why are you trying so hard to say leading the league in rushing was meaningless?  Because anyone who knows the game will tell you it was the main reason the offense did anything and along with the D is the reason they could win without any contribution from the QB

that stat got skewed b/c of 3 games against Buf and Oakland.

here's an example, week 1 at Houston 2009.  190 rush yards- what a day for the Jets!

Thomas Jones 20 carries, 107 yds, 2 TDs, 5.4 YPC just amazing!

w/ the game in hand late he rushes 7 times for 93 yds and a TD.  the rest of the game?  13 carries, 14 yds.

it's awesome he put on a show in garbage time but this is just one example of how misleading #s can be.  the Buf and oak games they gained almost 1,000 yds. 

clearly after 10-1 it wasn't garbage time as we didn't win another game and blew a div title.  had we clinched the div and a bye maybe we could discuss that but Kenny led us to 9 PPg in going 0-5.

The QB made many contributions that season but people who look at statsheets can't see it.

13 points against Cleveland

awesome job leading us to 13 pts at Cleveland in 5 qtrs. of play where the lone TD he "led" us to was the first play after an INt where Freeman had a long TD run.  Great job Ken!

Do you just make this sh*t up as you go along? Bruce Smith had 15 sacks in 1986, his second in the league, when O'Brien was very much in his prime.  Smith had double digit sack seasons in each of the next four years, culminating with 19 in 1990, when he was DPOY. 

O'Brien was the Jets starter that entire time - he was 30. O'Brien's best days were behind him because the team was being dismantled by Joe Walton's ineptitude. 

what did I make up? he was a rookie in 1985, Ken's best season. he became all pro in year 3, by that time Ken's best days were behind him.

O'Brien's best days ended in mid 1986. he had a really good year and a half and the rest of his career was mediocre at best.

yes, it was Walton's fault.  so how did Ken do under Coslet/Steinberg when he had a ton of weapons in the early 90s?

Not great reviews of Fitz.  Good to see NFL Network showing Geno lightly practicing.  Even mentioned a possible week 3 return.  Weeks 1 or 2 would be better, but I'll take 3 for now.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/08/ryan_fitzpatricks_struggles_require_extra_work_aft.html

Ryan Fitzpatrick's struggles require extra work after Jets practice

FLORHAM PARK — Geno Smith might have been back at practice on Monday for all to see, but Smith is still a ways away from returning to the Jets in any meaningful sense. Which means the focus at quarterback continues to be on Ryan Fitzpatrick, who will remain the starter for the foreseeable future. (Matt Flynn? Yeah, no.)

Fitzpatrick has now had about two weeks to work with the first-team offense, but there are still issues, so he and wideout Eric Decker spent some time after practice Monday to work on those issues.

"There's a few routes we had during practice where we weren't exactly on the same page or I wanted to throw the ball differently than I did, he wanted to run his route a little different," Fitzpatrick said. "So, we worked on just four or five routes and just trying to get them down and replicate the looks we had in practice and the way that we want him to run the route and the ball that he wants me to throw."

The Jets had a shorter-than-normal practice, one day after they had a scrimmage-type run-through out on Long Island. A few observations of Fitzpatrick.

Analysis: As noted above, there were moments when Fitzpatrick's timing with his wideouts was noticeably off. A throw behind Decker here, a ball to wide open Brandon Marshall that forced Marshall to stop there. Fitzpatrick also had an obvious miscommunication with Decker in which the ball was thrown to no one in particular, which necessitated that extra work. What's most obvious, day in and day out, is Fitzpatrick's inability to deliver a ball with much oomph if he has to throw it beyond 15 to 20 yards. Even Fitzpatrick's one long completion on Monday, a downfield throw to wideout Chris Owusu, had to have an asterisk: Owusu was wearing a red, no-contact jersey because he's still in the concussion protocol, and cornerback Darrelle Revis appeared not to challenge him, perhaps on purpose. Fitzpatrick did deliver a great ball to tight end Jeff Cumberland on 20-yard slant with cornerback Buster Skrine giving chase, and his quick stuff is generally right on the money. But the offense still seems to have a ways to go.

Grade: C-

Not great reviews of Fitz.  Good to see NFL Network showing Geno lightly practicing.  Even mentioned a possible week 3 return.  Weeks 1 or 2 would be better, but I'll take 3 for now.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/08/ryan_fitzpatricks_struggles_require_extra_work_aft.html

FLORHAM PARK — Geno Smith might have been back at practice on Monday for all to see, but Smith is still a ways away from returning to the Jets in any meaningful sense. Which means the focus at quarterback continues to be on Ryan Fitzpatrick, who will remain the starter for the foreseeable future. (Matt Flynn? Yeah, no.)

Fitzpatrick has now had about two weeks to work with the first-team offense, but there are still issues, so he and wideout Eric Decker spent some time after practice Monday to work on those issues.

"There's a few routes we had during practice where we weren't exactly on the same page or I wanted to throw the ball differently than I did, he wanted to run his route a little different," Fitzpatrick said. "So, we worked on just four or five routes and just trying to get them down and replicate the looks we had in practice and the way that we want him to run the route and the ball that he wants me to throw."

The Jets had a shorter-than-normal practice, one day after they had a scrimmage-type run-through out on Long Island. A few observations of Fitzpatrick.

Analysis: As noted above, there were moments when Fitzpatrick's timing with his wideouts was noticeably off. A throw behind Decker here, a ball to wide open Brandon Marshall that forced Marshall to stop there. Fitzpatrick also had an obvious miscommunication with Decker in which the ball was thrown to no one in particular, which necessitated that extra work. What's most obvious, day in and day out, is Fitzpatrick's inability to deliver a ball with much oomph if he has to throw it beyond 15 to 20 yards. Even Fitzpatrick's one long completion on Monday, a downfield throw to wideout Chris Owusu, had to have an asterisk: Owusu was wearing a red, no-contact jersey because he's still in the concussion protocol, and cornerback Darrelle Revis appeared not to challenge him, perhaps on purpose. Fitzpatrick did deliver a great ball to tight end Jeff Cumberland on 20-yard slant with cornerback Buster Skrine giving chase, and his quick stuff is generally right on the money. But the offense still seems to have a ways to go.

I've literally never been less excited about watching Jets Football because of how uninspiring Fitzpatrick is as a QB.  This is literally a worst case scenario having to watch this guy play Football.  The reason why his timing is off is because he cant throw the ******* Football...there is a reason why every pass is behind the WR.  It's like Pennington all over again.  If they're not wide open, they're having to fight for every single pass thrown to them or come to complete stop and proceed to get killed.  That or he's check down charlie because he's scared to throw the ball down field.  And those outs that Marshall battled for...good corners (which Atlanta doesnt have) will be taking those balloons to the side line to the house when the real bullets are flying. 

And I'm sorry, being off with the WR's is b.s.  He's a vet.  He knows the system.  He should be helping them with where and how and routes and timing...not the other way around.

This sucks.  

I've literally never been less excited about watching Jets Football because of how uninspiring Fitzpatrick is as a QB.  This is literally a worst case scenario having to watch this guy play Football.  The reason why his timing is off is because he cant throw the ******* Football...there is a reason why every pass is behind the WR.  It's like Pennington all over again.  If they're not wide open, they're having to fight for every single pass thrown to them or come to complete stop and proceed to get killed.  That or he's check down charlie because he's scared to throw the ball down field.  And those outs that Marshall battled for...good corners (which Atlanta doesnt have) will be taking those balloons to the side line to the house when the real bullets are flying. 

And I'm sorry, being off with the WR's is b.s.  He's a vet.  He knows the system.  He should be helping them with where and how and routes and timing...not the other way around.

This sucks.  

JIF.....still early, but I want to see him show lots better this week. Serious question.....could Flynn  be the QB  until Geno back?

This sucks.  

JIF.....still early, but I want to see him show lots better this week. Serious question.....could Flynn  be the QB  until Geno back?

Sanchez used to get killed and the refs looked the other way..

yes, b/c Sanchez has never had to deal w/ late hits or illegal hits.  The OLs are bigger, faster, stronger too but the difference in athletes on D is much greater from that era to today than on the OL.

I will be shocked if Flynn ever plays a snap for us.

This sucks.  

He is so bad. It's depressing. 

This sucks.  

No. He is even worse.  

Archived