New Forum Upgrade

Maxman

Hey guys just checking in....please let me know if you have any questions or issues after the recent upgrade. We are still updating things and there will be some color changes going in soon to make it all less white. More contrast has been requested.

But if you guys and girls need anything just say the word.

Thanks.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any way to collapse the bars on the right of the page? 

They can't be minimized but let me ask you think, do you feel like they are all in the way or do you just want to get rid of some of them? I have an idea in mind on how to change them that is why I ask. Thanks.

Is there any way to collapse the bars on the right of the page? 

I just removed the sidebar from the page that lists all the thread. I think that it was getting too cramped in there. The layout is now identical to what it was on the desktop version.

Main Index has the sidebar.

Individual forums don't.

When posting, there is no sidebar.

I hope this helps, thanks.

I just removed the sidebar from the page that lists all the thread. I think that it was getting too cramped in there. The layout is now identical to what it was on the desktop version.

Main Index has the sidebar.

Individual forums don't.

When posting, there is no sidebar.

I hope this helps, thanks.

Yes, thank you! 

Hi Max, I do have a request if it's possible.

Is there any way you could make it so quoting someone does not remove any quotes they have used in their post?

For example if I press the quote button on Leelou's post above mine the quote will say "Yes, thank you!" but the quote she is replying to from you is removed from the post and I'd have to enter it back in manually. This is really not conducive to smooth Mafia play and often adds hours of extra time looking up posts to manually re-add and reply to quotes which the forum disappears automatically. I understand that's not your major concern with the upgrade but since you're here and you asked I figured I'd bring it up. 

Edit: Oh, and one more thing! If possible can you add a few extra fonts to play with? Comic Sans and Tahoma are all well and good but sometimes I'm looking to spice my posts up a bit and there's not a lot of options in that regard.

Hi Max, I do have a request if it's possible.

Is there any way you could make it so quoting someone does not remove any quotes they have used in their post?

For example if I press the quote button on Leelou's post above mine the quote will say "Yes, thank you!" but the quote she is replying to from you is removed from the post and I'd have to enter it back in manually. This is really not conducive to smooth Mafia play and often adds hours of extra time looking up posts to manually re-add and reply to quotes which the forum disappears automatically. I understand that's not your major concern with the upgrade but since you're here and you asked I figured I'd bring it up. 

Edit: Oh, and one more thing! If possible can you add a few extra fonts to play with? Comic Sans and Tahoma are all well and good but sometimes I'm looking to spice my posts up a bit and there's not a lot of options in that regard.

Hi Nolder - I will look into the fonts, I am not sure but I can see if they can be added. (I am sure there is a way).

On the quote, are you speaking about multiquote? Or a quote with one reply where you see multiple responses int he conversation?

Thanks.

Hi Nolder - I will look into the fonts, I am not sure but I can see if they can be added. (I am sure there is a way).

On the quote, are you speaking about multiquote? Or a quote with one reply where you see multiple responses int he conversation?

Thanks.

Thank you!

And on quotes, both. If you quote people who have quoted other people the quoted material disappears leaving only the authors original message that you're quoting. I'll show how it works in the posts below.

This is someone quoting someone else. If I quote THIS post the "original post" will disappear.

I'm now quoting this post. I used the quote button but this also applies to multi quoting. As you can see the only quote that shows up is the reply not the "original post". It doesn't matter if there are 50 quotes or 1 in a post, if you quote someone you only quote their material you don't get the quotes.

I'm now quoting this post. I used the quote button but this also applies to multi quoting. As you can see the only quote that shows up is the reply not the "original post". It doesn't matter if there are 50 quotes or 1 in a post, if you quote someone you only quote their material you don't get the quotes.

I understand now and I can look into this. One more question though, but on the version we were using, you were able to show multiple posts in the one quote? (It has been a long few days for me). :)

To drive the point home here are a series of quotes and replies.

This is reply #1.

This is reply #2.

This is reply #3.

Now that I've quoted this post, as you can see, all that shows is the replies. The posts they were replying to have disappeared. If I want to include them I will have to manually read them to my post. This can be really time consuming for mafia players since at times we have to go through hundreds of posts and end up quoting each other a lot and posting those quotes to prove to each other who the good guys and who the bad guys are.

I understand now and I can look into this. One more question though, but on the version we were using, you were able to show multiple posts in the one quote? (It has been a long few days for me). :)

Not sure I understand...do you mean nested quotes?

Like this?

Original post.

Reply.

Reply to the reply.

Etc, etc? Like this? If so, yes you could but you would have to do it manually. If you tried to do something like this using the quote button you would lose everything except the reply to the reply.

Not sure I understand...do you mean nested quotes?

Like this?

Etc, etc? Like this? If so, yes you could but you would have to do it manually. If you tried to do something like this using the quote button you would lose everything except the reply to the reply.

I still don't understand how to read or use nested quotes :(

I still don't understand how to read or use nested quotes :(

Well it's pretty easy to read. It'll say blah blah said: feljnrf and then it'll say blah blah said: efjrkifjd below that etc etc.

Use is a different issue since it got taken away again I guess. You have to do it manually once again.

Well it's pretty easy to read. It'll say blah blah said: feljnrf and then it'll say blah blah said: efjrkifjd below that etc etc.

Use is a different issue since it got taken away again I guess. You have to do it manually once again.

@maxman can we haz nesting back?

Do we have a vote tag now?

Nope, don't think so. No one bothered to ask lol.

@maxman can we haz nesting back?

I'm going to guess probably not unless Max can figure out how to customize just the Mafia forum settings. I don't blame him I tried to figure out very basic settings a year or two ago for forums and man that stuff is complicated if you want anything but bare bones settings. Anyway other forum users don't like nested quotes because people make quote towers and the rest of the forum (Jets fans) will have to come before us mafia players since we are a relatively small group of people here.

Nope, don't think so. No one bothered to ask lol.

I'm going to guess probably not unless Max can figure out how to customize just the Mafia forum settings. I don't blame him I tried to figure out very basic settings a year or two ago for forums and man that stuff is complicated if you want anything but bare bones settings. Anyway other forum users don't like nested quotes because people make quote towers and the rest of the forum (Jets fans) will have to come before us mafia players since we are a relatively small group of people here.

Quote towers are what ?? And how would people even know. 

Quote towers are what ?? And how would people even know. 

If we just keep quoting each other the quotes will become big because of nested quotes. I can't show you because nested quotes are disabled. PM me on DM if you have an account and I can show you there. If you care lol.

How do we edit our posts now??OK, odd, this post had an edit button.  Older posts do not

Yeah I think editing is disabled after 5 mins or something. Really sucks for mafia since we can't edit OPs as the game goes on now. :/

oh and the quoting function is awful now..  It's hard to describe but if I want to erase something I mistakenly misquoted it doesn't allow it..  I also find it's putting in multiple quotes when trying to quote something..  it's just weird

Hey guys just checking in....please let me know if you have any questions or issues after the recent upgrade. We are still updating things and there will be some color changes going in soon to make it all less white. More contrast has been requested.

But if you guys and girls need anything just say the word.

Thanks.

The editing feature. I know we had this issue before, could we get editing always enabled on the mafia board? 

It's not a big deal now since we're in off season. But it would be really helpful if Max could somehow figure out custom settings just for the Mafia forum by the time we come back. If that's even possible.

Hey sorry -- I am a little backed up. But I apologize because we put nested quotes out there and then had to take it away. Everyone on the main board was freaking out especially from their iPad.

What you mentioned is exactly what I am planning on doing. I think if JetNation pays a programmer we can get custom rights just for the mafia forum. For things like the nested quotes, I think that would work well. Just give me a little time, I will work on it.

Thanks!

The editing feature. I know we had this issue before, could we get editing always enabled on the mafia board? 

Right now it is set to be able to edit for one hour silently. We can change\modify this if needed. Just let me know what you need, we could do a custom user group of mafia members and then changed the editing rights for the games only.

Thanks.

Archived