new Falcons stadium

jbt

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theres no reason except for a sh*t economy and maybe poor management, that MetLife doesn't have a ton of summer concerts. Outdoor, 80k capacity stadiums don't get to use 20k arenas as an excuse to not have concerts, come on. A lot of these places, or their predecessors, were around when Giant's Stadium was.

Times have changed, the music industry is dying, there are very few acts that can pull off an 82,500 seat facility and sell it out.

Back in the 80s, you had Springsteen, you had Billy Joel, you had Guns N Roses, even the Eagles could sell out Giants Stadium for a week.  Today, you've got Taylor Swift and maybe U2 and that's it.  People simply don't go to concerts as much anymore.

SAR I

100609713.jpg

It looks like a skyscraper which is more emblematic of New York than a damn brick wall is to Indianapolis.

It's a sophisticated design which requires a sophisticated taste level; it's no surprise many Jets fans don't like it.

SAR I

I know a lot of Jet fans who drink Schlitz, eat meatball heroes and burp and fart in public who love it.

Times have changed, the music industry is dying, there are very few acts that can pull off an 82,500 seat facility and sell it out.

Back in the 80s, you had Springsteen, you had Billy Joel, you had Guns N Roses, even the Eagles could sell out Giants Stadium for a week.  Today, you've got Taylor Swift and maybe U2 and that's it.  People simply don't go to concerts as much anymore.

SAR I

do you have a personal toilet and bidet in your car? Or do you actually pee in those filthy port-o-johns?

and what's your game plan when you gotta drop a deuce in our beautiful new stadiums parking lot?

"Beautiful new stadiums" as defined by whining Jets fans somehow all share the following features:

1. A dome.

2. A big window.

3. No upper deck endzone seating.

Having been to most of these "beautiful new stadiums" let me inform you that a dome eliminates a major homefield advantage, the big window sits atop a distracting food court, and the lack of endzone seating reduces 15,000+ home fans from attending and making noise.  For every 1 whiner who wants one of these 'pretty' small market stadiums there would be 100 complaining about high ticket prices and lack of available seats and losses to warm weather teams in a blizzard.  Knuckleheads.

SAR I

our new stadium sucks and I am someone that goes every week.  it's ugly, it wasn't built for noise, opposing teams fans take over b/c the games aren't truly sold out.

ticket prices are already high, how much higher would they be w/ a nicer stadium? 

.West%20Side%20Stadium%20-%20Jets%20Forum

Here we go again.

The West Side Stadium had no upper deck, would have held 15,000 fewer fans than Giants Stadium, would have had no parking, would have had zero tailgating.  And with the tax hit, the lack of a partner to absorb half the 355 days a year it was empty, and MSG being better suited for out-of-season events, the team would be bleeding tens of millions of dollars each year instead of being #1 in attendance in the AFC and #4 overall in the entire NFL.

We are a healthy and competitive NFL franchise because the WSS was never built.  Knuckleheads.

SAR I

I don't know what the capacity was going to be but 65K would probably be perfect in today's sports world.

tailgating is overrated

there would be more mass transit making it easier to get to and get home from games w/o sitting in traffic.

we would have the SB every 4-5 years

we'd have CFB bowl/playoff games

we'd have NCAA Final Fours

etc...

The fundamental problem with NFL stadiums is that they only host 10 games a year.  They mint money on those days.  No one would complain.

But on the astounding 355 days a year they sit there empty as the world's largest chip 'n dip, that's a problem.  You pay taxes, you pay for real estate, you pay for maintenance, you pay for staffing, you need something to offset those hundreds of days where you are taking losses and aren't generating revenue.

The Jets have the Giants to eat half our losses.  That's critical in a market saturated with stadiums and with too few concerts and events to spread around.  This isn't Minnesota.  We have 4 arenas and 3 stadiums; having a 4th stadium and an 8th venue to compete for the Taylor Swift concert would be insanity, financial suicide.

SAR I

more than likely the Giants would have come along w/ us had we gotten the stadium.

The Jets went from dead-last to #1 in attendance and revenue in the AFC just by building a stadium with the same team they'd been sharing with since 1984.

The color of a plastic seat never won an NFL game, but money towards the cap, money towards the coaching staff, money towards training facilities, they certainly do.  You like Revis?  You like Cromartie?  You like Marshall?  We wouldn't have any of them if we had a small solo stadium on the West Side of Manhattan.

SAR I

not attendance but we became more valuable b/c of the suites and clubs and all that other non football nonsense which I understand is part of the deal now so no sense whining about that.

the seats are fine, better than red and blue.  it's the design of the stadium that makes it awful/

raises hand while burping and farting!

I know a lot of Jet fans who drink Schlitz, eat meatball heroes and burp and fart in public who love it.

That's the secondary reason for the louver design.  Proper ventilation.

SAR I

do you have a personal toilet and bidet in your car? Or do you actually pee in those filthy port-o-johns?

and what's your game plan when you gotta drop a deuce in our beautiful new stadiums parking lot?

I spend no time in the parking lot therefore I have no need for a portable evacuation solution.  The bathrooms inside MetLife are top-notch, there are no lines, they are very clean.

Parking lots exist for one reason:  To leave your car and get into your seats.  Those who treat parking lots like an amusement park are alcoholic drug addicts whose vulgar behavior belongs in a dirty sports bar in Newark, not at a state of the art football stadium.

SAR I

our new stadium sucks and I am someone that goes every week.  it's ugly, it wasn't built for noise, opposing teams fans take over b/c the games aren't truly sold out.

ticket prices are already high, how much higher would they be w/ a nicer stadium? 

Our new stadium is on-par with every other new NFL stadium in America.  Watching a game in a domed stadium sucks, it's the elements that makes it engaging and fun, football being a sport that goes on whether in a blizzard, monsoon, blistering heat, it's part of what makes the sport so special.  Brick walls, picture windows, food courts, that stuff is overrated, I've been to Indianapolis, the place is sterile.

Ticket prices are the exact same as they were in 2009, the Jets haven't bumped them up at all.

If you define a "nicer" stadium as a solo facility on the island of Manhattan, the prices would be 20% to 30% higher as lower capacity, lack of parking, higher taxes, and no one else to burden the losses on the 355 days a year its unused would have put the financial burden on Jets fans.

SAR I

I don't know what the capacity was going to be but 65K would probably be perfect in today's sports world.

tailgating is overrated

there would be more mass transit making it easier to get to and get home from games w/o sitting in traffic.

we would have the SB every 4-5 years

we'd have CFB bowl/playoff games

we'd have NCAA Final Fours

etc...

65,000 seats would be among the dumbest decisions in Jets history considering that we draw 78,000 in a bad year.  We'd have the full 82,500 if we were playoff contenders again.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2014

I hate tailgating too, just saying people would be complaining louder than they are about MetLife.

Mass transit doesn't make it easy to get to games.  Trains are the same length, platforms are the same length.  More trains isn't the answer-  more parking spaces is.

Super Bowl does not repeat more than once a decade to cities like Miami or New Orleans anymore.  And New York is still cold in February.

No one cares about college football or final four, especially not Jets fans who are cheap and don't even attend their own teams' games.

SAR I

Our new stadium is on-par with every other new NFL stadium in America.  Watching a game in a domed stadium sucks, it's the elements that makes it engaging and fun, football being a sport that goes on whether in a blizzard, monsoon, blistering heat, it's part of what makes the sport so special.  Brick walls, picture windows, food courts, that stuff is overrated, I've been to Indianapolis, the place is sterile.

Ticket prices are the exact same as they were in 2009, the Jets haven't bumped them up at all.

If you define a "nicer" stadium as a solo facility on the island of Manhattan, the prices would be 20% to 30% higher as lower capacity, lack of parking, higher taxes, and no one else to burden the losses on the 355 days a year its unused would have put the financial burden on Jets fans.

SAR I

it's ugly.  yeah it's on par w/ amenities and all that stuff regular fans don't really care about(the coaches club is awesome, loved sitting there).

ticket prices have risen and gone back down again b.c no one was buying them. 

I don't care if it is solo or night.  lower capacity would make a higher demand for tickets as would playing on the West Side. 

NYG would likely have come along lessening the burden and again there would be a million events there including other football games, basketball games, bowl games, SBs, final fours, concerts, etc...

not attendance but we became more valuable b/c of the suites and clubs and all that other non football nonsense which I understand is part of the deal now so no sense whining about that.

the seats are fine, better than red and blue.  it's the design of the stadium that makes it awful/

Metlife-Stadium-New-York-Jets.png

The only thing about the "design" therefore is 1. the segmentation of the four corners and 2. the metal slat exterior.

Segmenting the corners makes getting in/out of the stadium much better, and at halftime you don't have drunks making loops of the concourses and crashing into everyone and spilling their beers.  It's like four small stadiums bundled together, no more chaos, no more fighting for bathrooms, no more waiting in line for food.

As for the metallic exterior, it looks like Manhattan, it looks big and modern and powerful, looks like a skyscraper.  The symbol of our city.  And at night, hit a button, the place goes green.  I love it.

SAR I

The fundamental problem with NFL stadiums is that they only host 10 games a year.  They mint money on those days.  No one would complain.

But on the astounding 355 days a year they sit there empty as the world's largest chip 'n dip, that's a problem.  You pay taxes, you pay for real estate, you pay for maintenance, you pay for staffing, you need something to offset those hundreds of days where you are taking losses and aren't generating revenue.

The Jets have the Giants to eat half our losses.  That's critical in a market saturated with stadiums and with too few concerts and events to spread around.  This isn't Minnesota.  We have 4 arenas and 3 stadiums; having a 4th stadium and an 8th venue to compete for the Taylor Swift concert would be insanity, financial suicide.

SAR I

what 3 stadiums do we have?

65,000 seats would be among the dumbest decisions in Jets history considering that we draw 78,000 in a bad year.  We'd have the full 82,500 if we were playoff contenders again.

I hate tailgating too, just saying people would be complaining louder than they are about MetLife.

Mass transit doesn't make it easy to get to games.  Trains are the same length, platforms are the same length.  More trains isn't the answer-  more parking spaces is.

Super Bowl does not repeat more than once a decade to cities like Miami or New Orleans anymore.  And New York is still cold in February.

No one cares about college football or final four, especially not Jets fans who are cheap and don't even attend their own teams' games.

SAR I

except we really don't draw those #s, those #s are inflated.  we technically sell the building out every week but in reality half the place is empty.

75K would be perfect but in a nicer place if we had 65-70 it would be better than 82 at the tin can.

mass transit makes it easy to get to Knick/Ranger games.

the SB would be in Miami every 4-5 years if they had the facilities and if we had an NYC stadium it would be in the rotation. 

no one around here cares about CFB or the FF but people from around the Country would flock to a playoff game and/or final four and NY is an event town.  we sold out soccer when the WC was here, we'd sell out every big event.

The only thing about the "design" therefore is 1. the segmentation of the four corners and 2. the metal slat exterior.

Segmenting the corners makes getting in/out of the stadium much better, and at halftime you don't have drunks making loops of the concourses and crashing into everyone and spilling their beers.  It's like four small stadiums bundled together, no more chaos, no more fighting for bathrooms, no more waiting in line for food.

As for the metallic exterior, it looks like Manhattan, it looks big and modern and powerful, looks like a skyscraper.  The symbol of our city.  And at night, hit a button, the place goes green.  I love it.

SAR I

looks much better in the renderings and getting out of the stadium after games is a nightmare if you don't sit on the lower level. 

SAR I

I have to say getting out of the stadium is much easier and faster than Giants Stadium.

I am in 340 this year in Row 8 which is the row where you come out to from the rotunda.

The stairs are literally right across from 340.  I am down to ground level in about 90 seconds.

I park in the Green lot as close as I can get to my gate.

I am literally out on Route 3 heading west minutes after that.

Used to park in P out in Siberia but for a couple more bucks on SH, I shave off much time in getting out of there.

But the stadium is conducive to a fast exit if you execute it right

you mean West Side but I agree.  we'd have had the SB every few years, final fours, etc... and had a great Stadium w/ an amazing background.

Yeah, my other left.  Aside from me being directionally challenged, it is a shame that never happened.  Too many fingers dipped into the Javitz pie, with lots to lose, successfully pulled the strings.

what 3 stadiums do we have?

MetLife Stadium, CitiField, Yankee Stadium.  A solo Jets Stadium would have made 4 stadiums with concert configuration seating of over 60,000 each, not to mention MSG, Nassau Colosseum, Barclay, and IZOD capable of handling 25,000 each.  Way too many seats competing for way too few concerts.

SAR I

except we really don't draw those #s, those #s are inflated.  we technically sell the building out every week but in reality half the place is empty.

75K would be perfect but in a nicer place if we had 65-70 it would be better than 82 at the tin can.

mass transit makes it easy to get to Knick/Ranger games.

the SB would be in Miami every 4-5 years if they had the facilities and if we had an NYC stadium it would be in the rotation. 

no one around here cares about CFB or the FF but people from around the Country would flock to a playoff game and/or final four and NY is an event town.  we sold out soccer when the WC was here, we'd sell out every big event.

Those numbers are not inflated; those are NFL attendance figures, not ticket sales figures.  That's bodies through the gates each week.  The 4-12 Jets outdrew the Super Bowl Patriots by over 10,000 fans per game despite our crappy record and lack of a star performer.  That's 80,000 more fans per year going through MetLife turnstiles than Gillette turnstiles.  We are #4 in the NFL in attendance with a sh-t team.  If we put together a winner we'd be #2 or #1.  That's what's great about our stadium.  We have capacity and we have the fanbase to support it.  And that's with two teams in the same town.  Really impressive if you think about it, a testament to the loyalty and dedication of those who go to games.  I'm proud to be one of them.

SAR I

I have to say getting out of the stadium is much easier and faster than Giants Stadium.

I am in 340 this year in Row 8 which is the row where you come out to from the rotunda.

The stairs are literally right across from 340.  I am down to ground level in about 90 seconds.

I park in the Green lot as close as I can get to my gate.

I am literally out on Route 3 heading west minutes after that.

Used to park in P out in Siberia but for a couple more bucks on SH, I shave off much time in getting out of there.

But the stadium is conducive to a fast exit if you execute it right

+1

Absolutely.  I'm in Row 1 of the Mezzanine and I can make it from my seats to the stair entrance in 1 minute, from the stairs to the front gate in 1 minute, and from the gate to my car in the green lot in 2 minutes.  That's 4 minutes to get into my car and then it's about 3 minutes to get to Route 3 West heading for home.  Couldn't come close to that in Giants Stadium.  The segregation of the four corners of the stadium prevents people from running from the Pepsi corner to the Verizon corner on the Mezzanine, forces them to exit and make the run around the perimeter, far more efficient that way.

SAR I

Yeah, my other left.  Aside from me being directionally challenged, it is a shame that never happened.  Too many fingers dipped into the Javitz pie, with lots to lose, successfully pulled the strings.

It wasn't happening because the Olympic bid was just a nice international gesture to help New York's psyche in the aftermath of the 9/11 tragedy.  The country and the city never got seriously behind the bid, it was a pipe dream.  The only reason Woody Johnson went through the process was because he would have been stupid not to-  give me free land and I'll help you land the Olympics?  Would have been one of the biggest thefts in Manhattan history, would have put the Dutch and the $24 worth of Indian beads to shame.  When lawmakers weren't fooled and the patriotism never materialized, poof, on to New Jersey as he knew he would. 

SAR I

Different venue but our design is way better than this................

Barclays-Center-Kirby-Lee.jpg

Actually the grass roof is a nice touch,  and easy in easy out is really nice. Can get from my seat in the arena to my house via subway and bus in about 40 minutes. Lots of bathrooms and places to buy an ale, plenty of good restaurants and bars all around. Seems like they got it more correct than MetLife ever will. To think I stood on that corner bus stop on the way to school in 1978 to dodge hookers, junkies, drunks and the Western Beef butchers covered in bloody white coats is personally really, really odd.

SAR I

In the last few  weeks alone , AC/DC, Kenny Chesney/Jason Aldean and Zach Brown(twice) along with 1 Direction and Taylor Swift have sold out local stadium shows. There are a lot of such acts every summer. Saw the Chesney/Aldean show at Metlife and ZBB at new Shea, and there is no comparison. Both good shows, but new Shea is a better venue.  New Shea is gonna start to make a big push for those acts because it's simply  nicer place to see a concert even with fewer seats. Yankee Stadium cannot host as many because it also has the soccer team all summer. Personally turned down AC/DC tickets because of the crapulence of getting out of the swap on a weeknight.

SAR I

The college football Final Four is now the 2nd biggest sports TV property in America.When it expands to 8 or 12 or 16 it will  be even bigger. And right now Yankee Stadium is more likely to host one of those early round games than MetLife. 

Those numbers are not inflated; those are NFL attendance figures, not ticket sales figures.  That's bodies through the gates each week.  The 4-12 Jets outdrew the Super Bowl Patriots by over 10,000 fans per game despite our crappy record and lack of a star performer.  That's 80,000 more fans per year going through MetLife turnstiles than Gillette turnstiles.  We are #4 in the NFL in attendance with a sh-t team.  If we put together a winner we'd be #2 or #1.  That's what's great about our stadium.  We have capacity and we have the fanbase to support it.  And that's with two teams in the same town.  Really impressive if you think about it, a testament to the loyalty and dedication of those who go to games.  I'm proud to be one of them.

SAR I

Its not that impressive really. Have you traveled outside of the NY/NJ area? Our area is saturated with people like no other in America. 8 million+ in the 5 boros alone. Nevermind LI and NJ and CT, plus upstate. They better be able to support and sell out 16 pro football games a year.

Not that I buy any if your numbers for a second anyway. Kinda surprised you're quoting NFL 'official' numbers. 

I commuted to ny to watch the Jets at Shea for 6 years and it didn't bother me. First two years the bus to the subway to Shea. Last 4 years driving to Shea. But once they moved to the meadowlands it was so much of a nicer commute just 45 minutes. I don't think I could ever go back to the other way. And Jet fans from LI must have hated the move. Their commute must suck now.

i went to arrowhead last year and it was just like the old giants stadium with no mezzanine. What a pleasure to get in and out of compared to that piece of sh*t met life

Arrowhead is in the middle of nowhere though.

One time the KC police set up DUI check points at the exit roads after a game and hauled bus loads to jail.

Archived