Fitzpatrick isnt better than Geno, he just fails more preferably- Football Outsiders

Matt39

the GM, daddy mac, in his presser last week repeated over and over again...4 weeks...wonder why that is?  Do we perhaps havea bye week, week 5?

Unless we are 3-1 or better, I'm guessing there are already plans to go back to Geno.  Not sure mmanagement is excited abut Ivory getting 150 receptions this year with Fitz at QB.

Those 5 punts against the 32nd ranked pass defense last week was a community college effort from Fitz.

This bolded part brings me off to a tangent.  I still think our punter stinks.  He looks oh so impressive in camp and in game chokes it up.  I've never liked Quigley.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the GM, daddy mac, in his presser last week repeated over and over again...4 weeks...wonder why that is?  Do we perhaps havea bye week, week 5?

Unless we are 3-1 or better, I'm guessing there are already plans to go back to Geno.  Not sure mmanagement is excited abut Ivory getting 150 receptions this year with Fitz at QB.

Those 5 punts against the 32nd ranked pass defense last week was a community college effort from Fitz.

Sh!t.  Knew I shoulda grabbed Ivory in my fantasy PPR draft.

This is more than a "spot starter" situation.  It could potentially be 6 games.

The original prognosis was 6-10 weeks, worst case that would have him ready by the sixth game of the season. He's had no setbacks, so he could possibly be ready before the 3rd game of the year. I'd expect him back no later than game five, the week after the bye. 

How about just STFU about Fitz and let the guy play a god damn down for this football team in the regular season . I hope he does great but we don't know the answer to that yet. 

Anything is better than watching Geno and waiting for that god awful stupid mistake that costs us a game. We have seen way too much of that the past 7 years. Fitz is not a world beater gun slinger but I guarantee he will have way less mistakes than Geno or Sanchez and with a great defense and strong running game that always gives you a chance to win. We have a good enough running game to be in a lot of 3rd and short situations running more of a ball control offense. Lets see how that plays out before passing judgment. We have seen Fitz have some really nice stretches during his career, lets see if he can run the type of offense we are asking him to run before passing judgement.

The key to this teams success with what we are fielding at this point is the offensive line. If they run block like they should and give Fitz the protection he never had we may very well may see a different QB. Its easy to pick out plays in a game and judge a QB but they fail to show you what might have been happening in that game leading up to that point. For all we know he could have been running for his life causing him to get rid of the ball sooner than he would like especially if a team was disguising blitzes very well like Lebeau was well known for.

Lets hope for once rather than ridicule  I certainly don't see any of the positive plays Fitz has run over the years why is that we always focus on the negative ? **** football outsiders and PFF what **** are these guys Aussy rules football analysts ?

The original prognosis was 6-10 weeks, worst case that would have him ready by the sixth game of the season. He's had no setbacks, so he could possibly be ready before the 3rd game of the year. I'd expect him back no later than game five, the week after the bye. 

yeah just what we need Geno Smith with no practice under his belt taking over mid season in a new offense

yeah just what we need Geno Smith with no practice under his belt taking over mid season in a new offense

The suspense about whether he could outdo that one Buffalo game would be seriously entertaining. I do believe Fitzpatrick would not match Vick's under-performance though.

Yep that'll be the excuse. We will need yet another season to "properly evaluate him" when he comes back from injury and sucks eggs.

Except that his last 5 games after his return from being benched he finished with a QR over 100, the second highest in the league.  So if youre and outsider, and you go by the way he finished...strictly numbers without the "I'm a Jet fan and want him out of here" agenda it makes perfect sense.  Actually only someone with an agenda would have an issue with the line

1865f6xuc7wtugif.gif

Until you factor he did the same thing year one, finish strong since the games were meaningless. Past history shows he doesn't follow up garbage time success into the next season.

Hell Sanchez if finished strong the of his first two seasons only to see see struggle the start of the next year.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

Fitz' arm strength is decidedly below average at this point. Probably worse than Pennington's. And this article says something I've said before, that Fitz may be smart, but he hasn't proven himself to be football smart.

I would disagree based on Chad's opening day performance vs. the Chiefs many years ago.  I have never seen a weaker-armed NFL QB in my life.  Each of the first two passes in that game were thrown to receivers who literally looked like they were waiting to field a punt while the passes hung up there.  It was so sad to watch and while Fitz has a weak arm, it has never been and likely never will be that weak.

article seems pretty fugazi and conjecture based for FO. 

It's the exact opposite of what their own numbers say. The almanac explicitly poses the question of whether Geno is bad with potential or just plain bad and answers that it's the latter. Fitzpatrick has never been great but he's also never been the abject disaster that Geno has been for his entire professional career to date.

How about just STFU about Fitz and let the guy play a god damn down for this football team in the regular season . I hope he does great but we don't know the answer to that yet. 

Anything is better than watching Geno and waiting for that god awful stupid mistake that costs us a game. We have seen way too much of that the past 7 years. Fitz is not a world beater gun slinger but I guarantee he will have way less mistakes than Geno or Sanchez and with a great defense and strong running game that always gives you a chance to win. We have a good enough running game to be in a lot of 3rd and short situations running more of a ball control offense. Lets see how that plays out before passing judgment. We have seen Fitz have some really nice stretches during his career, lets see if he can run the type of offense we are asking him to run before passing judgement.

The key to this teams success with what we are fielding at this point is the offensive line. If they run block like they should and give Fitz the protection he never had we may very well may see a different QB. Its easy to pick out plays in a game and judge a QB but they fail to show you what might have been happening in that game leading up to that point. For all we know he could have been running for his life causing him to get rid of the ball sooner than he would like especially if a team was disguising blitzes very well like Lebeau was well known for.

Lets hope for once rather than ridicule  I certainly don't see any of the positive plays Fitz has run over the years why is that we always focus on the negative ? **** football outsiders and PFF what **** are these guys Aussy rules football analysts ?

The only thing worse than watching Geno is listening to people pine on about how we can't do without him.

These football outsiders have become insiders now, and as such they must do their best to upset Jet fans. If you just watch the games you'll see Fitz is by far the more competent QB. It's blatantly obvious.

This awesome team Fitz was QBing last year lost 14 games in a row in 2013, and I'll bet they win no more than 4 this year.

The Titans were 6-10 the year before Fitz, and 2-14 after. We all know how much the Bills have improved at QB without him.

Using Fitz' record on these three craptastic teams is a ridiculous notion. Let's play the games and see what happens. Don't listen to these whiners

Don't put lipstick on the pig and try to sell me it may be as good as Kate Upton, sir...I ain't buying what you're selling...

pig+with+lipstick.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6d-_v2M3QKbaKW11rIy7

Fitz and Geno comparison is splitting hairs? Stats really earning their paycheck on this one!

Agreed...like arguing why taking one of these home is better than the other at the end of the night...we should just be pissed these are our only options to take home...

twins.jpg

Smith is still at an early stage of his career and has played with awful supporting casts to this point. Fitzpatrick is past his prime and has played with various levels of support over his career.

that quote sums up exactly how I feel about the situation .. 

The only thing worse than watching Geno is listening to people pine on about how we can't do without him.

These football outsiders have become insiders now, and as such they must do their best to upset Jet fans. If you just watch the games you'll see Fitz is by far the more competent QB. It's blatantly obvious.

This awesome team Fitz was QBing last year lost 14 games in a row in 2013, and I'll bet they win no more than 4 this year.

The Titans were 6-10 the year before Fitz, and 2-14 after. We all know how much the Bills have improved at QB without him.

Using Fitz' record on these three craptastic teams is a ridiculous notion. Let's play the games and see what happens. Don't listen to these whiners

nice post, thanks for offering a take that reasonably allows for hope.

Honestlyt what are people expecting- no one thought Fitzy was all pro - we just needed a veteran right now to be able to make less mistakes - which have killed this team last number of years. We knew we still need long range solution at QB

Smith is still at an early stage of his career and has played with awful supporting casts to this point. Fitzpatrick is past his prime and has played with various levels of support over his career.

that quote sums up exactly how I feel about the situation .. 

If only Fitzpatrick didn't have to throw to stiffs like David Nelson... wait, what?

The only agenda is you have a young quarterback entering his third year with more weapons then he has ever had and a more quarterback friendly system and OC.  It only makes sense to see if he can develop into a decent starting qb before turning the reigns over to a 10 year veteran back up, and that is just what Bowles was doing up until the fight.   

This is correct...

We all act like we know better than Chan Gaily.   I'm sure Chan watched every single snap Geno took in a game, has already seen every snap Ftiz has taken - and he made this decision. 

Of course you take the chance on the 24 year old kid, that has shown some signs of being able to do the job.  A year more of learning, a QB friendly offense and weapons he's never seen before....

The Jet fan agenda against Geno is amazing to me - Yes, he hasn't been good but he is the best chance this team had.

I think that the premise is the article is somewhat valid, but they act like it is not.  There are ways to fail more preferably.  Of course you want a guy that runs the offense.  There are 11 guys on the field at once.  If they all pull together good things happen.  If the guy at the #1 spot freelances - especially poorly - the other guys are not going to listen and it is going to kill morale. It is one thing to freelance and succeed (Brett Favre?  Tarkenton?) but this Tebow, Vince Young, RGIII sh*t generally is not going to fly.

Edit; this was quoting Villain.  Weird.

@Villain The Foe

Puhlease, if Fitz tried to throw the out there, it would have taken 10 seconds to get there and would have been an easy pick six.  

...and people dont think NFL defensive coordinators know the spot he can and cannot hit?  That's why I made the pig and lipstick analogy on another thread.  What we will see week in and week out with Fitz are CBs lining up on the inside of WRs, taking away the slant and using the sideline, which Fitz can't throw to, as an extra defender.  If Fitz beats teams throwing high and outside, we'll win every week, because defenses wont even cover those areas of the field.  CBs and safeties will be lined up inside and tight knowing Fitz's throwing window and area is very small and limited.  Safeties will also be 15 yards off the line, no need to play 20 yards because they can easily recover deep enough to make plays on Fitz's nurf ball throws.  It's hard to win a gun fight when all you have is a pop gun...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyod-VHicIjk60ZnTa_nq

Edit; this was quoting Villain.  Weird.

@Villain The Foe

Puhlease, if Fitz tried to throw the out there, it would have taken 10 seconds to get there and would have been an easy pick six.  

After the review I agree, which is unfortunate given that Fitz can't complete a pass to the left out while standing on the left hash mark. 

This is going to be a long ass year having to watch 80% of the Jets passes be in-between the numbers, dumped off to the flat and screens. The pass he threw had a better chance of being INT, atleast that's why I would have thought. Then you bring up the fact that he can't make the out pass with good enough velocity and its hard to disagree with that. 

When does Geno get back?  Anyone get any clarity on that? When can he start practicing again?

All I have heard are the jets are planning on him missing 4 games.  No word on when he practices.  I have a hard time believing unless we start 3-1 or 4-0, the plan isn't to go back to geno, who appeared to be far out performing Fitzin practice, despite Fitz having 3 more years experience in teh system and playing against 2nd teamers...

"The GM also said Smith “will probably” miss the first four games of the year."

http://nypost.com/2015/08/18/mike-maccagnan-talks-geno-smith-jets-qb-situation/

If the GM is already talking about Geno being available game 5, which just so happens to be after the bye week, it would seem like they're planning to switch gears during the bye and get back to Geno.  I could be reading too much into it...but he could have said 6-8 weeks...which would have been saying the exact same thing when you factor in how many weeks are left in the preseason, but he specifically said he'd miss 4 games...or until the bye...

I think you could remove the "Jets" from that sentence and it would still be accurate.  Dont forget the word "fan" is short for "fanatic."  

All offseason long the trendy thing to say was Geno is retarded worst qb ever Fitz should start -- now Fitz is going to start he's low rent Chad Pennington.  GTFO

All offseason long the trendy thing to say was Geno is retarded worst qb ever Fitz should start -- now Fitz is going to start he's low rent Chad Pennington.  GTFO

Wasnt here then so I cant say one way or the other...but going into this season with Fitz and Geno must be how Jags fans felt going into the season with Gabbert and Chad henne...it's one of those grab your ankle seasons at QB.  Wait, for jets fans I guess that every season. :(

ZZ

Archived