Jets Bringing in QB Josh Johnson for Workout

JetNation

Several ways this makes sense 

1) They are planning to IR-DFR Geno Smith 

2) They are planning to taxi squad Bryce Petty

3) They aren't getting anything out of Matt Flynn, his injury maybe worse than expected? 

No way #2 is an option at this point...will see how he does Sat though. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several ways this makes sense 

1) They are planning to IR-DFR Geno Smith 

2) They are planning to taxi squad Bryce Petty

3) They aren't getting anything out of Matt Flynn, his injury maybe worse than expected? 

Yes.  I have been guessing #3.

Yeah, if it's anything more than just kicking the tires, it's #3. They aren't putting Geno on the IR, or risking cutting Petty in hopes of getting him to the practice squad. 

Yeah, if it's anything more than just kicking the tires, it's #3. They aren't putting Geno on the IR, or risking cutting Petty in hopes of getting him to the practice squad. 

I thought he meant maybe short-term IR.   That would have him out the first six weeks.  The rules state "football related injury", but go on to say ("defined as an injury that renders the player physically unable to practice or play football for a period of at least six weeks [42 calendar days] from the date that the injury occurred")  I am not sure if Geno would qualify or not. 

I am also not sure what he meant by taxi squad.  I doubt he will last on the practice squad.  How do the inactive rules work these days? 

The thing about Petty is he doesn't help this season, at all. PFF has him graded as the 3rd worst QB in the preseason. Why pay this player a whole year's salary and take a roster spot?  No one wants to do that, which is why he'd probably be safe on the practice squad. 

The thing about Petty is he doesn't help this season, at all. PFF has him graded as the 3rd worst QB in the preseason. Why pay this player a whole year's salary and take a roster spot?  No one wants to do that, which is why he'd probably be safe on the practice squad. 

You obviously didnt watch the last preseason game...he wouldn't make it past waivers...no chance.

I thought he meant maybe short-term IR.   That would have him out the first six weeks.  The rules state "football related injury", but go on to say ("defined as an injury that renders the player physically unable to practice or play football for a period of at least six weeks [42 calendar days] from the date that the injury occurred")  I am not sure if Geno would qualify or not. 

I am also not sure what he meant by taxi squad.  I doubt he will last on the practice squad.  How do the inactive rules work these days? 

I thought short term IR was six weeks, too, but I've been reading eight weeks this summer. Even six weeks would be long, though, especially if they're forced to keep him out of practice that whole time. He could potentially be ready to practice a month before he's able to take a hit. 

Not it sure what the emergency QB rules are anymore, either. 

I thought short term IR was six weeks, too, but I've been reading eight weeks this summer. Even six weeks would be long, though, especially if they're forced to keep him out of practice that whole time. He could potentially be ready to practice a month before he's able to take a hit. 

PUP is 6 Weeks, IR is 8 weeks from the time they designate (Can't practice, no team meetings, etc. for 6 weeks) and in 6 weeks from designation they can start to practice

Common Bit rankings on  a exhibition game-Petty

You obviously didnt watch the last preseason game...he wouldn't make it past waivers...no chance.

I did and most of his successful throws were out of that spread/shotgun. A team isn't going to pick him up and run those air raid plays just for him. He's like 2-3 years away from meaningful contribution, that's pretty much what the practice squad was made for. 

PUP is 6 Weeks, IR is 8 weeks from the time they designate (Can't practice, no team meetings, etc. for 6 weeks) and in 6 weeks from designation they can start to practice

I'm not sure which is true.  Short term IR is no practice or play for 6 weeks.  From what I have read they then have 21 days to determine if they want to take the player off or designate him for the year.  Theoretically, that would mean that they can bring the player back for week 6, but with no practice that is not going to happen. 

I did and most of his successful throws were out of that spread/shotgun. A team isn't going to pick him up and run those air raid plays just for him. He's like 2-3 years away from meaningful contribution, that's pretty much what the practice squad was made for. 

He sure as hell would be picked up by some team willing to have a 3rd qb around.  It would be a horrendous chance to take imo.  I'm not saying he is any great shakes but you can't give QB's away.  They'll dump a vet before they dump him.

As usual, you missed by a mile.

No way!!!

Petty looked like the best QB on the field at times last game.  Give the kid time he is a gamer something we can't say about any other QB on our roster.  

He sure as hell would be picked up by some team willing to have a 3rd qb around.  It would be a horrendous chance to take imo.  I'm not saying he is any great shakes but you can't give QB's away.  They'll dump a vet before they dump him.

He's a 4th rounder those guys make it to the practice squad all the time. I don't see it as such a huge risk. If Petty was any threat to help this 2015 Jets team they wouldn't have brought in Flynn or Josh Johnson.   In fact he should be competing with Fitz if he was as good as the board seems to believe. He's a 2-3 year project. that's what the practice squad is for. 

He's a 4th rounder those guys make it to the practice squad all the time. I don't see it as such a huge risk. If Petty was any threat to help this 2015 Jets team they wouldn't have brought in Flynn or Josh Johnson.   In fact he should be competing with Fitz if he was as good as the board seems to believe. He's a 2-3 year project. that's what the practice squad is for. 

4th rounders, at times, 4th round QB's not as much i would be willing to bet, especially in a weak QB draft year depth wise.   He is not going to help the team this year but at times you have to protect investments to some extent.  If they did lose him due to psquad the hollaring would be very loud.

Flynn has a weaker arm than Fitz. 

I get the sense that Bowles is disgusted with Geno, and they ALL understand the shortcomings of every QB option we have. Unlike the years with Tanny and Rex where apathy and delusion with the primary methods of dealing with having a bad QB, it seems these guys give a ****.

Which is why I believe the Jets have finally found the right combination of GM and HC to finally make this team a consistent winner. They take NOTHING for granted and are not delusional or overly optimistic when judging a player. I think Bryce Petty is going to be the franchise QB next season. I think Geno's days are numbered...no leadership or interpersonal skills and he is arrogant. Not a great combination. 

it's the opposite.  he was a 4th round pick, there are a bunch of teams with established qbs who would stash a guy like this that can actually afford to bring him along slowly.  developmental qbs are taken in rounds 4-7 and stashed, and a team like the steelers would take a flier on petty, and there's likely more.

I get the sense that Bowles is disgusted with Geno, and they ALL understand the shortcomings of every QB option we have. Unlike the years with Tanny and Rex where apathy and delusion with the primary methods of dealing with having a bad QB, it seems these guys give a ****.

I don't get that impression at all. I think they do not like Fitz at all, and need better depth until Geno can start and they do not want to start Petty.

I don't think it is that common.  It happened with Tyler Wilson,,  but the Raiders are not known for their drafting and damn near all the other Qbs taken in the 4th stuck around - Nassib, Landry Jones, Logan Thomas, Tom Savage, Barkley.  There was a bunch of chatter of teams liking Petty and it wasn't because they were expecting immediate dividends, somebody probably poaches him off the practice squad.

I love when you double down! Jets aren't risking losing Petty by attempting to slide him onto the practice squad. Zero chance that happens. 

not true at all.  He didn't even call plays in college or have a play book.  He had predefined reads and was told who to throw to before the play was snapped.

last week was nothing like what he did in college.  He progressed through reads, had improved but not great footwork, and looked off coverage in the flat before rifling the TD.

everything he accomplished last week was in a light years different system than the Baylor spread.

also saying he ran the spread offense is silly comment...guess what offense the jets are running in 2015?  The spread.  The Baylor spread offense and Gaileys spread offense are not one in the same.  But we are in the spread offense, sir.  That's what Fitz is playing in too.

I'm not sure which is true.  Short term IR is no practice or play for 6 weeks.  From what I have read they then have 21 days to determine if they want to take the player off or designate him for the year.  Theoretically, that would mean that they can bring the player back for week 6, but with no practice that is not going to happen. 

The rules state:

During each season a club will be permitted to return one player from the Reserve/Injured List to its 53-player Active/Inactive List. Such player must have suffered a major football-related injury (defined as an injury that renders the player physically unable to practice or play football for a period of at least six weeks [42 calendar days] from the date that the injury occurred) after reporting to training camp and must have been placed on Reserve/Injured after 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Tuesday after the final roster reduction. A player who is eligible to return must be noted as "Designated for Return" at the time the player is placed on Reserve.

• Player can begin practicing after six weeks; he can't play until after being on the list for eight weeks.

The rules state:

A player who has been designated for return is ineligible to practice until six weeks have elapsed since the date he was placed on Reserve, and is not eligible to return to the Active/Inactive List until eight weeks have elapsed since the date he was placed on Reserve. The business day (prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time) that the player is placed on Reserve counts as the first day.

• At any point after six weeks, The Player can begin practicing with the team. Whenever he takes the field, that starts a 21-day clock where the Team must decide whether to active him or shut him down for the season.

The rules state:

At any time after the conclusion of the sixth week that a player designated for return has been on Reserve/Injured, a club is permitted to return him to practice for a period not to exceed 21 calendar days. Provided that the player has been on Reserve/Injured for at least eight weeks from the date he was placed on Reserve, a club is permitted to return him to its Active/Inactive List at any time during the 21-day period, or prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the day after the conclusion of the 21-day period. Clubs are required to notify the League office on the first day of such 21-day practice period, which information shall be promulgated to clubs on that day's Personnel Notice.

Regular-season PUP

A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six games their team plays. At that point, teams have a five-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional 21-day window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.[1]

So Geno is not going on any list except maybe the free agent list.    As much as I would like to see that happen its not going to, Geno is a Jet for the season.  I think he is gone after the season but not till then.

As for Petty, could you imagine they try and get cute and put him on the PS and he gets grabbed off waivers then has a 15 year HOF career??   Met life might get burned to the ground.  Petty was the best QB on the field last week and it was not close.  Let him keep learning and don't rush him but by next spring we might have a real QB.

Having a competent GM does help 

I love when you double down! Jets aren't risking losing Petty by attempting to slide him onto the practice squad. Zero chance that happens. 

This.

The Jets knew Petty wouldn't help them this season, but they decide to cut him because he can't help them now?  It makes no sense.  And, yes, they have to cut Petty and hope he makes it through 32 teams in waiver.

Does anyone think Rex in Buffalo doesn't put a waiver claim in on Petty?

Archived