FLORHAM PARK, N.J. –- When the New York Jets made a regime change and replaced former GM John Idzik, Quincy Enunwa could have been staring at a difficult situation.

16899.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&backgrounEnunwa was drafted in the sixth round by Idzik last season and the most noise he made came off the field with a domestic violence charge that was later dismissed.

Spending most of his rookie season on the practice squad, Enunwa could have been looking at having to find a new home when the Jets hired new general manager Mike Maccagnan and head coach Todd Bowles.

But the Nebraska product looked at the new shift in the Jets organization as a fresh start for himself as well. And fortunately for Enunwa, the new regime was well aware of him.

"I had to prove [myself] again," Enunwa said. "But it was good because everyone is on a level playing field."

"I talked to the GM when he got here and he said he scouted me when I was at Nebraska," Enunwa added. "Whether or not he actually was going to draft me or had any idea, just knowing that was cool. I had the mindset that I was going to impress whoever came [in]."

Entering the pivotal third preseason game this weekend against the New York Giants, Enunwa has made a large leap from practice squad player to the Jets' third wideout. He has seen reps in the slot and is making a case to potentially play there when the season opens.

Not bad for a receiver who has yet to record his first NFL regular-season catch.

Ever since rookie speedster Devin Smith suffered broken ribs and a punctured lung in practice early in camp, Enunwa has seen the majority of his reps with the first team alongside Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker. Enunwa said he has played in the slot and on the outside with the Jets' receiving tandem.

As of now, Bowles said he has not made up his mind over who will be his third wideout. Veteran Jeremy Kerley was thought to be the frontrunner for that spot before camp.

"There's another [position] that's battling," Bowles said of players he still needs to see prove something this weekend. "There are a bunch of them battling for that spot.

"[Enunwa] has been making progress as has all of them. It is tough for the ones that got injured but it is still a battle. I'll see after this game."

Kerley, who played in the slot last season, is recovering from a concussion suffered in the last preseason game. That gives Enunwa another prime opportunity against the Giants. So far, Enunwa has one catch for six yards in the preseason but he has seen the majority of his reps with the first team.

Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who worked with new offensive coordinator Chan Gailey in Buffalo, said Gailey likes to take advantage of using personnel mismatches. Perhaps the Jets like Enunwa's size (6-2, 225) alongside the 6-4 Marshall and 6-3 Decker.

On Saturday, Enunwa hopes to make a lasting impression on the coaching staff.

"[It's] going pretty well, had some mistakes here or there," Enunwa said. "I haven't made a lot of big plays but I have been doing my job well and that is one of the things they have noticed out there. It's just me being in the right spot and knowing what I am supposed to do."

"They [management] noticed me last year which is part of the reason why they kept me," he added. "I have been trying to pick up where I left off last year with the work I did behind the scenes."