Roster Cuts

Maxman

A lot of people thought Posey was a lock because he was Maccagnan's guy, but he didn't earn a spot. They probably cut him this early as a favor to him so he can try to catch on somewhere else. With Graham and Haakim gone, I wonder if Powell has locked up the WR/special teamer role. 

He  saved himself last night with that return. We need somebody and I cringed when they tried using Decker

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This actually speaks volumes about the 2014 class. 

Notice none of the OL were cut except Brewer (vet) and Freeman (vet). Clearly Aboushi, Dozier, and Winters have shown enough IN PRACTICE to warrant roster spots thus far. Same goes for Shaq Evans, surprised more of the Idzik 12 didn't ride the first wave of cuts.

The DLine also kept its veteran depth as well. All of the rather "filler" vet FA signings - Bowen, Douzale, Vickerson- have stuck and should be rotated heavily.

Ironic that under MacCags, out 2 weakest positions in 2014 were the most expendable thus far in camp: DB & WR

Notice none of the OL were cut except Brewer (vet) and Freeman (vet). Clearly Aboushi, Dozier, and Winters have shown enough IN PRACTICE to warrant roster spots thus far. Same goes for Shaq Evans, surprised more of the Idzik 12 didn't ride the first wave of cuts.

The DLine also kept its veteran depth as well. All of the rather "filler" vet FA signings - Bowen, Douzale, Vickerson- have stuck and should be rotated heavily.

Ironic that under MacCags, out 2 weakest positions in 2014 were the most expendable thus far in camp: DB & WR

Pleanty of room in the second wave. We will be cutting some good players this year. I have a feeling the Bills will be sifting through our trash looking for gems.

Hmmm, that trade looks a bit weak now.   But I'm not surprised he's cut, because there are guys ahead of him that have better talent and better roster fits.  Powell probably secured a roster spot with his return yesterday, especially thanks to Decker.   So, now we might be down to two WR competition, between Enunwa/Evans/Owusu.  

I wonder if the Jets put Geno on the short term IR.  I felt that the whole 6-10 week timeline not being changed was to leave the option of him being on the short term IR to start the season.  In a sense, I felt they might be waiting to see if Fitz can actually be good with the team, and then decide on Geno one way or another.   

A lot of people thought Posey was a lock because he was Maccagnan's guy, but he didn't earn a spot. They probably cut him this early as a favor to him so he can try to catch on somewhere else. With Graham and Haakim gone, I wonder if Powell has locked up the WR/special teamer role. 

I was saying at the time that it was about competition and just because he was Macs "guy" didn't mean he was guaranteed anything.   You have to earn it on the field; unfortunately he was injured early and missed alot of time.  I am loving this staff.  

Maybe it is because they are not considering them "idzik" picks like most fans are and are instead actually, you know, evaluating them on the field.  

Enunwa isn't a guy I'm sold on but the run game does look dam good with the blocking our big Wrs are doing. Posey has looked the most complete out of the bunch. I understand cutting him now so he can find another team but I would of waited til after game 4 to try to win a spot. Hakim, I think that was a bad move cutting him. He is an excellent STer. Best gunner we had and the man can tackle. Evans would of been my 1st cut. What do they see in him? I think Posey and Hakim have more to offer than Evans and Enunwa

Enunwa isn't a guy I'm sold on but the run game does look dam good with the blocking our big Wrs are doing. Posey has looked the most complete out of the bunch. I understand cutting him now so he can find another team but I would of waited til after game 4 to try to win a spot. Hakim, I think that was a bad move cutting him. He is an excellent STer. Best gunner we had and the man can tackle. Evans would of been my 1st cut. What do they see in him? I think Posey and Hakim have more to offer than Evans and Enunwa

We knew the WR cuts would be difficult and agree camp injuries did not allow a proper evaluation. I think the Players Association hurt themselves with this last CBA, does not seem like some of these kids are getting much of a chance to compete and then it's over...

expect SC to pick up one, maybe GreenBay and the annual division "intel" pickups

Hopefully we save a couple of WR's on the PS

We knew the WR cuts would be difficult and agree camp injuries did not allow a proper evaluation. I think the Players Association hurt themselves with this last CBA, does not seem like some of these kids are getting much of a chance to compete and then it's over...

expect SC to pick up one, maybe GreenBay and the annual division "intel" pickups

Hopefully we save a couple of WR's on the PS

who is SC?

I (finally) saw Owusu looking good as a gunner.  It seemed he would be fine at it, but the Giants game was the first time that I saw it. Hakim and Graham both seemed to have the edge on him in specials.  I didn't give much credence to Graham knowing the system, since he was a high pick that pretty much failed with Gailey.  Hakim will probably catch on someplace based on specials and raw speed.  We figured they would not risk Smith as a gunner, but the fact that Decker is returning punts in a preseason game seems to blow that theory out of the water.

Watching what they have been doing it looks like they like to use the slot guy to wham block or flex him into H-back and block.  Enunwa seems perfect for that role.  He is a willing blocker with a big body.  I figured that they wanted Amaro to do that, but he has been hurt and didn't seem to get much run before that.  I hate Kellen Davis and he and Cumberland both spit up catchable balls at some point in the preseason games.  They are all certainly more suited to that role than Kerley.  I am not sure what to make of the use of Kerley.  The Giants game probably would have told us a bunch, but the concussion took him out of the equation. 

I was never as high on Williams as everybody except after his first game when I proclaimed him decent.  A lot of guys have jumped on his bandwagon and I have to admit he is looking like a player.  I keep hearing how bad Pryor looks, but Demario Davis has looked pretty awful.  That is a bit scary and they do have a few ILBs to use.  Reilly has stepped it up.  Dozier was completely bullrushed the one play against Detroit , but I didn't notice anything glaring against the Giants.  I don't think they like carrying a dedicated backup C and they are just stressing versatility.  Freeman may be their best option if Mangold went down, but he is a wasted roster spot if he doesn't.  Other bodies can offer more on specials and if somebody else gets hurt.  Qvale looked decent enough at T and he and Carpenter are noticeably large. 

To tack on the thoughts I already provided...

It seemed they tried to feed the ball to Posey to see him do something and he didn't seem too creative.  Just a took what they gave him kind of guy.  Didn't add much on the WR screen or whatever you call it (We called it a "Bob Hayes")

Stacy just does not go down. He does not strike me as the best runner or best at picking holes, but he does not go down without a fight.  Ivory and Powell have both looked pretty good and all 3 have looked decent catching the ball.  Considering how much I like what I've seen, I'm surprised that I am still looking forward to seeing Ridley.  I assume that Richardson is gone.

Howshare is not going to make it as a FB.  I assume he is going to try to stick around the practice squad by doing whatever is asked.  Bohanon looked good running at the end of the game.  I was shocked that the Giants could not stop the run the last drive or two.  It was obvious they were just running out the clock and weren't going to pass and those guys got rolled over. 

I wonder if Petty is going to get the entire 4th game or if they are going to play some of the other guys to get them some reps. .

It seemed they tried to feed the ball to Posey to see him do something and he didn't seem too creative.  Just a took what they gave him kind of guy.  Didn't add much on the WR screen or whatever you call it (We called it a "Bob Hayes")

Stacy just does not go down. He does not strike me as the best runner or best at picking holes, but he does not go down without a fight.  Ivory and Powell have both looked pretty good and all 3 have looked decent catching the ball.  Considering how much I like what I've seen, I'm surprised that I am still looking forward to seeing Ridley.  I assume that Richardson is gone.

Howshare is not going to make it as a FB.  I assume he is going to try to stick around the practice squad by doing whatever is asked.  Bohanon looked good running at the end of the game.  I was shocked that the Giants could not stop the run the last drive or two.  It was obvious they were just running out the clock and weren't going to pass and those guys got rolled over. 

I wonder if Petty is going to get the entire 4th game or if they are going to play some of the other guys to get them some reps. .

i think posey was cut b/c devin smith is coming, and smith also is a good gunner on specials.  i wonder what they're going to do with kerley, i wouldn't be surprised if he's inactive opening day.

Looks like it'll come down to Owusu vs. Powell vs. Evans for 2 spots

i don't see how they can rely on owusu with his concussion history.  but if he can play st that may tip it.  they'll see a lot of action on thurs, but i don't know how much they'll have petty throwing.

i think posey was cut b/c devin smith is coming, and smith also is a good gunner on specials.  i wonder what they're going to do with kerley, i wouldn't be surprised if he's inactive opening day.

I think he was cut because he isn't that good.  And he was a throw in as part of the Stacy deal. 

Tannenbaum would have kept Posey no matter what, because the optics of acquiring him via trade and releasing him would have him all sh*tting a brick over the PR angle. I like that Mac/Bowles aren't driven by avoiding criticism.

I think we've got 4th extremely physical runners in Ivory, Powell, Stacy and Ridley, and that's awesome.

I'd love to see Petty get those reps next game, but realistically, we need to give them to whomever the #2 QB is going to be in week 1: Flynn or Josh Johnson. 

I think he was cut because he isn't that good.  And he was a throw in as part of the Stacy deal. 

Didn't Stacy come from the Rams?  Posey came from the Texans as part of the trade down.  They got Posey and a couple of picks to move down 10 or so spots in the 3rd so the Texans could take Strong.   A bunch of people had the Jets taking Harold or Duke Johnson who went between the 3rd rounders.  The Jets ended up with Mauldin and already had Smith, so they might not have been as interested in Strong or Conley and they were loaded at CB and a few DBs went in there as well. 

Didn't Stacy come from the Rams?  Posey came from the Texans as part of the trade down.  They got Posey and a couple of picks to move down 10 or so spots in the 3rd so the Texans could take Strong.   A bunch of people had the Jets taking Harold or Duke Johnson who went between the 3rd rounders.  The Jets ended up with Mauldin and already had Smith, so they might not have been as interested in Strong or Conley and they were loaded at CB and a few DBs went in there as well. 

yeah, you're right, brain fart. 

Archived