Roster Cuts

Maxman

I think we've got 4th extremely physical runners in Ivory, Powell, Stacy and Ridley, and that's awesome.

I'd love to see Petty get those reps next game, but realistically, we need to give them to whomever the #2 QB is going to be in week 1: Flynn or Josh Johnson. 

IMO, Petty will be the #2QB in week 1.  They will re-sign Flynn or Johnson after week 1 to be the back-up until Geno comes back.  Is Flynn even ready to go?  Funny thing is, most coaches use the 4th game for guys that are getting cut.  They would protect their #1 and #2 QBs, but we will have to give somebody work. In the past, it would have probably been Jake Heaps' game. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I (finally) saw Owusu looking good as a gunner.  It seemed he would be fine at it, but the Giants game was the first time that I saw it. Hakim and Graham both seemed to have the edge on him in specials.  I didn't give much credence to Graham knowing the system, since he was a high pick that pretty much failed with Gailey.  Hakim will probably catch on someplace based on specials and raw speed.  We figured they would not risk Smith as a gunner, but the fact that Decker is returning punts in a preseason game seems to blow that theory out of the water.

Watching what they have been doing it looks like they like to use the slot guy to wham block or flex him into H-back and block.  Enunwa seems perfect for that role.  He is a willing blocker with a big body.  I figured that they wanted Amaro to do that, but he has been hurt and didn't seem to get much run before that.  I hate Kellen Davis and he and Cumberland both spit up catchable balls at some point in the preseason games.  They are all certainly more suited to that role than Kerley.  I am not sure what to make of the use of Kerley.  The Giants game probably would have told us a bunch, but the concussion took him out of the equation. 

I was never as high on Williams as everybody except after his first game when I proclaimed him decent.  A lot of guys have jumped on his bandwagon and I have to admit he is looking like a player.  I keep hearing how bad Pryor looks, but Demario Davis has looked pretty awful.  That is a bit scary and they do have a few ILBs to use.  Reilly has stepped it up.  Dozier was completely bullrushed the one play against Detroit , but I didn't notice anything glaring against the Giants.  I don't think they like carrying a dedicated backup C and they are just stressing versatility.  Freeman may be their best option if Mangold went down, but he is a wasted roster spot if he doesn't.  Other bodies can offer more on specials and if somebody else gets hurt.  Qvale looked decent enough at T and he and Carpenter are noticeably large. 

They both look like dogsh*t.  If the competition rule holds true, than Rontez Miles should be playing along side Gilchrist and I would bench Davis and start Lattimore.   Pryor looks like a third string safety at this point.  Davis is a serious liability in the passing game and don't think for a second teams are not going to look to exploit him.  

This actually speaks volumes about the 2014 class. 

Notice none of the OL were cut except Brewer (vet) and Freeman (vet). Clearly Aboushi, Dozier, and Winters have shown enough IN PRACTICE to warrant roster spots thus far. Same goes for Shaq Evans, surprised more of the Idzik 12 didn't ride the first wave of cuts.

The DLine also kept its veteran depth as well. All of the rather "filler" vet FA signings - Bowen, Douzale, Vickerson- have stuck and should be rotated heavily.

Ironic that under MacCags, out 2 weakest positions in 2014 were the most expendable thus far in camp: DB & WR

They were only down to about 80 guys.  I don't think having seven out of twelve guys make it to the top 75 says anything great about a draft class.  I was shocked that Aboushi doesn't seem to get any run.  Is he hurt?

color me mildly surprised.  

but happy, hakim and graham would have been starters last year, lololol

I was obviously wrong about powell, he still may get cut but he would have gone before hakim in my book

good for you dude

Hakim, Graham and even Posey are JAGs with limited upside.  The guys we still on the roster all have bigger UPSIDES and have flashed either in training camp practices or in preseason games.  That is why Enunwa, Powell, Owuso and Evans all made the cut so far.  I think Enunwa, Powell and Owusu make the team and Evans goes to the PS.  Powell and Owusu make our special teams dangerous for change.  I love what I see in Enunwa as a blocker and receiver.   He is not as polished as Kerley but has much more potential.  I know everyone tends to sh*t on Shaq Evans but he is obviously impressing the coaches with his ability and I think they see as a more long term project who could develop into a solid outside receiver. 

We knew the WR cuts would be difficult and agree camp injuries did not allow a proper evaluation. I think the Players Association hurt themselves with this last CBA, does not seem like some of these kids are getting much of a chance to compete and then it's over...

expect SC to pick up one, maybe GreenBay and the annual division "intel" pickups

Hopefully we save a couple of WR's on the PS

politicians campaign on promises of goodies that will be given now but paid by future generations (the yet-to-be born dont vote),  and the union does what is best for current players, not future ones. Like rolling on the rookie wage scale gave the union leverage to get more for current players at the time, practice restrictions help established proven guys because coaches cant get as extensive evaluation of the young bucks who come up to try to take their jobs.

Hakim, Graham and even Posey are JAGs with limited upside.  The guys we still on the roster all have bigger UPSIDES and have flashed either in training camp practices or in preseason games.  That is why Enunwa, Powell, Owuso and Evans all made the cut so far.  I think Enunwa, Powell and Owusu make the team and Evans goes to the PS.  Powell and Owusu make our special teams dangerous for change.  I love what I see in Enunwa as a blocker and receiver.   He is not as polished as Kerley but has much more potential.  I know everyone tends to sh*t on Shaq Evans but he is obviously impressing the coaches with his ability and I think they see as a more long term project who could develop into a solid outside receiver. 

What do you consider upside?  Graham and Posey have better draft pedigrees than the others. Evans and Enunwa have size.  Owusu has some speed, but he was and UDFA that bounced around, just like Hakim.  Hakim is as fast as anyone in the league - he has plenty of upside.  He just doesn't seem smooth and he doesn't seem like he will ever get it.  Basically, they kept the younger guys. More than upside or impressing them in camp, it could amount to nothing more than practice squad eligibility for some of these guys.  I don't think Graham, Posey or Hakim are eligible

politicians campaign on promises of goodies that will be given now but paid by future generations (the yet-to-be born dont vote),  and the union does what is best for current players, not future ones. Like rolling on the rookie wage scale gave the union leverage to get more for current players at the time, practice restrictions help established proven guys because coaches cant get as extensive evaluation of the young bucks who come up to try to take their jobs.

Agree this was for the Vets, all you hear from players turned broadcaster is about how much they hated camp and two-a-days...  I think an expanded roster and converting 1 or 2 preseason to regular season games would have balanced the loss of practice time - or create another expansion league, NFL Europe developed some great players

What do you consider upside?  Graham and Posey have better draft pedigrees than the others. Evans and Enunwa have size.  Owusu has some speed, but he was and UDFA that bounced around, just like Hakim.  Hakim is as fast as anyone in the league - he has plenty of upside.  He just doesn't seem smooth and he doesn't seem like he will ever get it.  Basically, they kept the younger guys. More than upside or impressing them in camp, it could amount to nothing more than practice squad eligibility for some of these guys.  I don't think Graham, Posey or Hakim are eligible

I guess my definition of upside is different.  You can't learn to run routes and catch, your upside is limited; I don't care how fast you are.  I am not going to speculate on practice squad eligibility, I will look at for what it is.  The cut Graham, Hakim and Posey and kept the other guys.   Obviously they feel better about those other guys; or they played better.  I am not going to over analyze why they made the team and Graham, Hakim and Posey did not.  None of them have done squat in the NFL and they have all been in the league for at least 2, 3 years. 

Opps sorry for the double quote. 

I guess my definition of upside is different.  You can't learn to run routes and catch, your upside is limited; I don't care how fast you are.  I am not going to speculate on practice squad eligibility, I will look at for what it is.  The cut Graham, Hakim and Posey and kept the other guys.   Obviously they feel better about those other guys; or they played better.  I am not going to over analyze why they made the team and Graham, Hakim and Posey did not.  None of them have done squat in the NFL and they have all been in the league for at least 2, 3 years. 

Opps sorry for the double quote. 

What is your definition of upside?  Big and fast = upside.  Stephen HIll = upside.  

None of these guys have made the team. Most probably won't.  I agree the 2,3 years without production probably got them cut.  A guy not producing after a couple of years is going to look much worse than a guy in his first camp, but it also means more likelihood of practice squad eligibility

What is your definition of upside?  Big and fast = upside.  Stephen HIll = upside.  

None of these guys have made the team. Most probably won't.  I agree the 2,3 years without production probably got them cut.  A guy not producing after a couple of years is going to look much worse than a guy in his first camp, but it also means more likelihood of practice squad eligibility

My definition is includes the ability to actually get better at playing the position.  Using Stephen Hill as an example of upside doesn't work for me. 

Archived