OT: home depot

Brenjetsfan

I am redoing my kitchen floor...and off to Home Depot AGAIN. So not to look like a DUMB blonde..HELP ME ](*,)

What do you call the board you lay down before putting the perog flooring down. When ripping up the old one, the floor was kinda sinkin where the refr. was so I bought that wood filler paste thingie, but its not strong enough, so while I am scoping out the guys in HD I mean boards...what do I ask for BEFORE I ask them if they POST...?? I am guessing about 4-6 newbies from HD by tomorrow. Thanks my handy folks!

there is some type of floor board/wood, I thinks its GRAY? does that make sense?

did you rip up tile ???

if so the gray stuff is called durok....

if your putting down PERGO they have a vapor barrier/cushion...that helps with the weather change...

Second nomination for Post of the Day to Tex!!! And before you say it, Tex....because I am 45, I know all about sagging beams.

Would you and Tx get a trailer already. This love fest is getting a little sickening.

The stuff under the flooring is underlayment. There are several brands.

Brenda, honey, PLEASE tell me you didn't really try to fill the sagging spot under your refrigerator with wood putty! If you tell that to the Home Depot guys, you're going to get laughed it. Get someone to go in your basement (yes, guys, insert joke here) and make sure there isn't a structural problem, as someone suggested above.

Good luck.

The stuff under the flooring is underlayment. There are several brands.

Brenda, honey, PLEASE tell me you didn't really try to fill the sagging spot under your refrigerator with wood putty! If you tell that to the Home Depot guys, you're going to get laughed it. Get someone to go in your basement (yes, guys, insert joke here) and make sure there isn't a structural problem, as someone suggested above.

Good luck.

Make it easier on them Brenda. Tell them you need ABC underlayment board.

Tx:

You and GGG can buddy up. That is fine. But as a former flunkie I must warn you that running your own website is a lot of work.

She wears out her welcome very fast. You should think about this.

I bet TX would have the WUB's up before you! :roll: ..but thats ok I will be patient but we must talk about the shower photos you sent Shane. THEY were for you only Maxie :wink:

Tx is almost 70 years old. I wouldn't bet on him getting anything up before me.

my depot gal told me luan is what I need....see it takes a WOMAN to get the job done!

If you put lauan under a ceramic tile floor, you're doomed and will be replacing that ceramic pretty soon, woman. Especially if there's a pre-existing sag.

Lauan is usually a 1/4" thick and cheap ($10 for a 4x8). If you're planning on doing ceramic tile there, and the existing subfloor is shot (which would eliminate it being durock, which does not rot), you may be better off tearing out the entire subfloor and dropping some 3/4 plywood down and THEN dropping 1/4" Hardibacker on top of that. Is it excesive? Probably, but it's the textbook way to go.

This will also give you a chance to evaluate why the floor sagged originally--that's not good in a kitchen area. If the sag is actually prevalent in a wider circular space, you may need to double up the offending beam in the basement and install a lolly-column, which is a steel pole that you can pneumatically crank out to lift the sag.

What you also may consider is if the sag is under the roof-line, which would make the lolly-column solution more necessary, as the weight of the roof is pressing down on the kitchen wall, causing a larger sag.

Another possibility is if you had water damage there, which isn't unlikely if there was a poorly sealed refrigerator placed on the spot prior. If the fridge was cooling the floor, or even causing puddling from condensation, then you could have damaged the plywood, and would just need to cut out the area and replace it with a new piece of ply.

Still, in either case, consider dropping the Hardibacker (or Wonderboard, which I hate, but does the same job), over the whole floor before you lay the tile. Hardibacker and Wonderboard both run about $10 bucks for a 3x5 sheet, so it gets pricey, but it guarantees your tile job for eternal life.

However, DO NOT lay the tile directly on top of a piece of lauan. Many contractors will try and tell you that that is the way to go. It works, but for a fraction of the time (like, long enough for the contractor to cash your check) than does the use of Hardibacker. And DO NOT pay to have tile put down until you find out exactly why the sag was created in the first place. AND DO NOT HIRE HOME DEPOT TO INSTALL YOUR TILE!!!!! They suck, and do not give a sh*t about you after you've paid.

brenda if your putting in pergo...its easy. i am assuming after you ripped up the floor you now have plywood exposed. if so, just staple down a simple barrier like so said and start laying the pergo.

advice: dont buy the cheap pergo that is PRESSED board, if you spill something or if your dog pukes it can get into the cracks and bubble up. get the fake wood to avoid this.

as for the fridge section, bob is right. wood filler is silly. you just need to build up the floor a tad. isnt that important becuae its just a covewred up corner. a piece of luan or two would d the trick, add the barrier and put the pergo down

just a jets baby tee shirt n thong :lol:

The plywood the whole floor. Do yu want me to come over and take a look at it? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The plywood the whole floor. Do yu want me to come over and take a look at it? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

good thing ..I will start dinner :wink:

Archived