Coples & Davis

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

Both drafted in the same year.  Another absolute bust in terms of upgrading a position group.  

We've got to stop pretending that Coples can play.  I'd cut him and be done.

Davis simply hasn't produced, yet gets talked about like he's actually something.

Bowles won't stand for this stuff.  He will replace both of them and I expect it to be done very soon.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dvrd the game and rewatched a lot of the plays. 

And I was surprised at how Davis plays.  Always out of position, over pursuing plays, late shedding blocks.

Now I'm not saying he's a bad player, but he's nowhere near the star they make him out to be.

If you just regularly watch the plays, it seems like he's always around the ball.

Really surprised Coples is still at LBer.  Said himself the other day that he prefers D-line and that's where he has been at his best as a pro.  I'd rather he rotate in on the D-line and be somewhat effective as opposed to being a liability at times at LBer.

Both drafted in the same year.  Another absolute bust in terms of upgrading a position group.  

We've got to stop pretending that Coples can play.  I'd cut him and be done.

Davis simply hasn't produced, yet gets talked about like he's actually something.

Bowles won't stand for this stuff.  He will replace both of them and I expect it to be done very soon.

We've got to stop pretending that Coples is a Linebacker. Yeah, they were both drafted in the same year, the difference is that at the podium when Coples was called he was mentioned as a DE not a LB'er. Davis played LB'er and was drafted as one. Coples is a lineman that played DE and DT. When he dominated at the Senior Bowl it was as a D-lineman. 

When Jets coaches and its fans understand that Coples would be best suited being put back on the defensive line then will they begin to see what this guy could be worth on a consistent basis. Until then, we'll continue to be pissed at the lack of production coming from the LB'er spot ignoring the fact that we have linemen playing the position because of their "Size/speed" ratio. 

It's always something when it comes to Q.  Face it - even when he plays on the D Line he's not very good.  I don't care where you were drafted.  He's taking up a spot.  I have nothing against him.  I'd like to see him (and us) succeed.  I'm simply pointing out that he and Davis are not very good players.  In fact, they are liabilities and should be on the field a lot less than they are.

Coples is actually a tweener. He's Julius peppers size but slower and less athletic. He can't bend the edge as a DE in a 4-3 and he's not big enough to be a 5 tech in the 3-4. 

And he's not good enough in space for a 3-4 OLB.  I actually do agree and think DL is his best spot to contribute but I don't think he'd be "great" anywhere. And we have more talented DL than him but zero OLB's so it all makes sense how it's worked out this way.

LOL, Davis misses a tackle, Bowels makes a comment about it, now he's message board fodder for fans and he sucks...

No, David is a good LB, he had a poor game based on a couple of plays, he will show up on Sundays... Some of your throwing under the bus is over the top.

I guess I'm in the minority of people who like Demario. He had a bad game yesterday for sure, but he's a solid player. 

He he has gotten better each and every year.had 116 tackles last year including 3.5 sacks. Solid player. 

I like him too.  One of our few sideline to sideline players.

We've got to stop pretending that Coples is a Linebacker. Yeah, they were both drafted in the same year, the difference is that at the podium when Coples was called he was mentioned as a DE not a LB'er. Davis played LB'er and was drafted as one. Coples is a lineman that played DE and DT. When he dominated at the Senior Bowl it was as a D-lineman. 

When Jets coaches and its fans understand that Coples would be best suited being put back on the defensive line then will they begin to see what this guy could be worth on a consistent basis. Until then, we'll continue to be pissed at the lack of production coming from the LB'er spot ignoring the fact that we have linemen playing the position because of their "Size/speed" ratio. 

He was actually developing fairly well as a fist in the ground guy until Rex decided he was an OLB.  I am as frustrated as anyone about the "wasted" pick, but once they started bouncing him around like a ping pong ball there was nowhere to go but downhill.  You cannot make chicken liver out of chicken sh*t.

Coples is actually a tweener. He's Julius peppers size but slower and less athletic. He can't bend the edge as a DE in a 4-3 and he's not big enough to be a 5 tech in the 3-4. 

And he's not good enough in space for a 3-4 OLB.  I actually do agree and think DL is his best spot to contribute but I don't think he'd be "great" anywhere. And we have more talented DL than him but zero OLB's so it all makes sense how it's worked out this way.

But isn't he "on the verge of a breakout season"?

I love that Coples is out of position because... Rex.  This coach could have switched him back.  Plenty of opportunity.  Coples actually has looked fine to me.  They had him with his hand in the dirt plenty anyway.  Davis has been awful this preseason.  He has been missing tackles and over-pursuing.  I thought he was looking pretty good last year, so maybe it is just taking him time to adjust. 

Archived