Judge Nullifies Brady's suspension

Larz

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm an attorney in real life.  Let me tell you something most people don't know about Judges.  Most of them don't really know a lot about the law outside of whatever area they specialized in.  Most Judge's rulings aren't based on the law or merits of the case they are based on fear of being overturned on appeal.

If the NFL appeals....and the decision was reversed, that would mean that Brady would be allowed to play. But would be suspended when the appeal reversal was handed down. Could that be the last 4 games?

I am not saying that would happen. Just speculating. I don't see the NFL doing nothing.

Oh and I don't see the NFL just rolling over here. Does anyone think this is the end of it?

Absolutely not.  Only 2 results in all of this:

1.  NFL appeals and wins, Brady suspended for Jets game because, dammit, we deserve it.

2.  NFL fails to appeal or loses appeal.  Pandora's box opened where every suspended player appeals and/or CBA is scrapped in favor of one that gives the NFLPA unprecedented authority.

This is very true and I think it is going to get worse before it gets better.

Roger has to be very worried about long term job security right about now. The NFL needs to distance themselves from the circus like environment.

The NFL has become the Jets circa 2011-2012.

I'm an attorney in real life.  Let me tell you something most people don't know about Judges.  Most of them don't really know a lot about the law outside of whatever area they specialized in.  Most Judge's rulings aren't based on the law or merits of the case they are based on fear of being overturned on appeal.

So you think it was more likely that if Brady lost the case, he'd win on appeal rather than the other way around where the NFL wins an appeal?

I don't even care if Brady cheated or not. It didn't help them win the game.

It is scary how people just don't get it:

1.  This was a systematic cheating process - Indy was NOT the only game in which they did it.

2.   Most importantly, it is simply not a standard to view all cheating as to "who would have won anyway but for the cheating"?  How the hell do you run a league or any organization that way?  If a teacher catches someone cheating on a test do they say "well you would have passed anyway" and look the other way?   

Goodell is a total moron, but I will never fault him for trying to punish an organization that systematically cheats at every opportunity.

From my knot hole, this is not all that surprising.  There was no concrete evidence to prove TB had any knowledge of or played any part in the deflated footballs.  Once he destroyed his phone, the NFL had a near 0% chance.  Oh, and TB's still the pretty-boy darling of the league, so there's that too.  In my mind, however, he's not only a cheater but a liar too.

If the NFL appeals....and the decision was reversed, that would mean that Brady would be allowed to play. But would be suspended when the appeal reversal was handed down. Could that be the last 4 games?

I am not saying that would happen. Just speculating. I don't see the NFL doing nothing.

Brady gets to play until the Circuit Ct issues a ruling.

From my knot hole, this is not all that surprising.  There was no concrete evidence to prove TB had any knowledge of or played any part in the deflated footballs.  Once he destroyed his phone, the NFL had a near 0% chance.  Oh, and TB's still the pretty-boy darling of the league, so there's that too.  In my mind, however, he's not only a cheater but a liar too.

Has little to do with the evidence itself.  It has EVERYTHING to do with the method with which the NFL acquired that evidence and their player discipline policies as a whole. 

So basically any suspension that falls under "conduct detrimental " will be overturned since it's not spelled out. In that case Sheldon shouldn't get any further suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Sheldon was smart enough to get a good labor law attorney sure he could get any disciplinary action by Goodell overturned.

I am an attorney as well, and I've worked for Judges and I have no idea what you are talking about. Even if Judges ONLY feared getting appealed that would still lead to the correct legal ruling. Appellate courts only overturn lower court judges if they erred on the law. 

As Judges can be forced to deal with thousands of different areas of law they are forced to research each issue as it comes to them, usually with the help of briefs from either side. After reviewing the case law presented by both sides (and usually digging through the law themselves) they generate a decision that is based on the law. Why? Because they want to make the correct ruling and because they don't want to get appealed on the law. 

And it doesn't directly affect the Jets because even with the suspension, we would have played Brady anyway

Uh, so as long as we would have had to face Brady either way, it does not effect us... gotcha.  So a team that has won our division every year since Carter was President loses it's most indispensable player for a quarter of the season and that does not effect us.  Makes perfect sense...:blink:

I think the Pats cheated (not sure what Brady knew before the accusations came out), but if you read the ruling, you can't really argue with it.  The NFL messed this up big time.  The investigation was a joke, Goodell is a ....

That being said, the problem with this isn't Brady getting to play - hey the prosecution stunk, the problem is that some judge just told a corporation how to run their company.  Also, I still feel that this isn't an equipement issue, but hey Goodell is a bully and a thug, and eventually (or often) these guys fall hard.

Best thing can happen now is that Goodell steps down and the NFL comes up with a clear set of rules, regulations, and punishments and prepares proper investigations.  Due to this mess up, no team or player is ever going to admit anything anymore unless the NFL gets its act together.

Berman said NFL comparing 4 games for steroids to 4 games for Brady doesn't work because the steroid policy is collectively bargained.

Haha exactly.  Judge's problem with all of this was that Goodell seemingly makes up penalties out of thin air that aren't explicitly in the CBA.  The whole "you can only appeal to the commisioner" thing had zero meaning in his eyes.

So you think it was more likely that if Brady lost the case, he'd win on appeal rather than the other way around where the NFL wins an appeal?

No what I'm saying is as soon as I heard Bermam wanted the parties to settle it was over.  The same applies to circuit ct judges I'm sure they'd be too scared of getting overturned by the Supreme Ct

Oh and I don't see the NFL just rolling over here. Does anyone think this is the end of it?

no they have to fight this precedent.  I don't know what they would appeal on tho

the major mistake to me is letting the NFL's top lawyer read and edit the wells report before it was released, then not letting brady's lawyers ask him questions.  that looks shady, that was a rookie mistake

aj feely got busted for doing this and wasn't suspended

I'm just going to accept that brady will not be suspended, and kraft will get his picks back

Hope the jets learn well from this:

Cheaters Win, and the NFL has more power to ban casual pot smokers than it does career-long repetitive cheaters who destroy what little competative integrity this "sport" has left.

The players Assoc. and courts have set the rules:  cheat, and cheat as often as as much as possible.  You'll only get caught on some of it, and if you do, the NFL is powerless to break you for it because the NFLPA will win in court.

Hope the jets learn well from this:

Cheaters Win, and the NFL has more power to ban casual pot smokers than it does career-long repetitive cheaters who destroy what little competative integrity this "sport" has left.

sadly, the lesson has become "you are a fool if you don't cheat"

Archived