Can we pull an upset at Colts on Monday Night Football?

Fibonacci

They lost to a team led by Tyrod Taylor. Not to mention that they were held to zero points in the first half. Unless Luck can play defense and use a helicopter to avoid the pass rush, we have a very good chance to win here.

"Do not get on the helicopter Andrew.  It's a trap!!"

-Josh McGown

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like TY will be back. Jets have to control the ball & keep Luck on the sideline. Here's the bottom line, if we let Luck run around like we the the Browns QBs run for 1st downs we won't have a chance but the truth is that no one has talked about today is that the Bownies Oline is definitely top 5 in the league. They are tough brawlers whereas the Colts Oline is soft comparitively.

Great practice for our front 7 yesterday vs a stud Oline. 

looking like Hilton will miss the game.  report says he may be out 1-2 weeks.  we'll see how he responds during the week. 

"Do not get on the helicopter Andrew.  It's a trap!!"

-Josh McGown

LOL. Yeah, McGown was his own helicopter. That's not quite the same. :)

Maybe this is premature but can't contain my excitement. Win or lose, Browns game will not generate any buzz in terms of National attention. But if we win against Colts on Monday Night Football, it might be a good statement for this new regime. Do we have a chance to shut Luck and Colts down and win? 

I think so. Like the Bills, the Jets play good defense, run the ball and can get after the passer. I think Andrew Luck is in for a long day against the Jets. Jets 27, Colts 23.

here is the media narrative for the week

"the colts started slow, but came on late, they were just rusty.  now they are mad and will take it out on a jets team that got lucky against the worst team in the AFC"

yup.  fatcessa said the colts would be angry and take it out on the jets

lol

I'm not putting any stock whatsoever into Indy's loss to Buffalo.  Rex Ryan's teams always come out blazing in that Week 1-3 range then get exposed later.  Indy entered a buzzsaw going to Buffalo.  Now they return back to their cushy dome.  I know their defense is brutal, but Luck will toy with our secondary on national TV.  No chance they start out 0-2.  This is just a brutal Week 2 matchup for us. 

It is a tough matchup, but to me the Colts O-Line is embarrassing and their defense is not much better. I think Luck will have just a bit of a slightly better game than Manziel did but I don't see him toying with a secondary especially with Hilton hurt.

Colts will probably win but I don't think it is going to be a blowout.

exactly, on paper the colts should win but there is nothing about this Colts team that says they're unbeatable.  They didn't score until the final minutes of the 3rd quarter, why can't the Jets D give them a hard time too? 

Off name recognition the Colts should blow us out, but if you have any idea how to build a team you would see the Colts build from the outside in.

Andrew Luck is actually a lot better than people think, and he's had basically no help at all winning all the games he's won.

The way to beat them is balance. Run inside, and outside. Short quick passes, and a few well timed shots down field.

On defense I never want to see more than a 5 man rush. We can cover these pedestrian receivers all day, but you can't beat Luck with the blitz. Yes AJ is ready to have his number retired in Houston soon.

Off name recognition the Colts should blow us out, but if you have any idea how to build a team you would see the Colts build from the outside in.

Andrew Luck is actually a lot better than people think, and he's had basically no help at all winning all the games he's won.

The way to beat them is balance. Run inside, and outside. Short quick passes, and a few well timed shots down field.

On defense I never want to see more than a 5 man rush. We can cover these pedestrian receivers all day, but you can't beat Luck with the blitz. Yes AJ is ready to have his number retired in Houston soon.

I look at the Colts and yes you fear Lick but we have a defense that can hit hard and often, we know what that does to QBs.  Their defense has been ignored again and can be run on, which should be a real strength of ours.  Not saying a win is a given but it seems like the Jets are built to play in his game

At first glance, Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel and Colts quarterback Andrew Luck don't appear to be all that similar. 

Manziel is a second-year pro who has sputtered in the NFL, on and off the field. So far, he's a whole lot of flash, with very few results. Luck is a steady fourth-year pro, already a three-time Pro Bowler. He's a budding star who threw 40 touchdowns and 16 interceptions last season.Plus, Manziel is much smaller than Luck. Manziel, who is 6 feet and 210 pounds, often succeeds by scrambling and improvising. Luck, at 6-foot-4 and 240 pounds, has a reputation as a prototypical NFL pocket passer. 

Last week, the Jets' defense faced (and handled) Manziel, who played almost the entire opener (a 31-10 Jets win) in place of the concussed Josh McCown. In Week 2, the Jets visit the Colts on Monday night.

How will the Jets fare against Luck ? 

The Jets' defense actually sees one similarity between Manziel and Luck — speed. People know Manziel is quick. They might not know Luck is, too."He's mobile, man," said Jets backup outside linebacker Trevor Reilly. "He can run. People don't think he's fast because he's white or something. I don't know. He's got quick feet and he can move. I would say he's probably a top three mobile starting quarterback in the NFL. The guy can run. He's fast." 

Reilly correctly pointed out that Luck ran about 4.6 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine. (It was 4.59 seconds, to be precise.) Manziel ran 4.56 in the 40 at the combine. Not a whole lot of difference there, though Manziel's lateral movement and juking abilities separate him as a more mobile player. Manziel also relies on his mobility much more often than Luck does. 

Of course, Luck is "one of the best in the game," as Reilly said. And Manziel is not. He's still a long way from being a complete NFL starting quarterback, like Luck is. Reilly thinks the Jets' pass rush rattled Manziel in Sunday's second half, when he threw an interception and lost two fumbles on strip sacks (one by Reilly). To be fair, Manziel missed significant training camp action because of an elbow injury, so he wasn't exactly thoroughly prepared when he had to play Sunday.It's difficult to imagine the Jets completely rattling a more prepared Luck, who will be playing at home and motivated to avoid an 0-2 start. The Jets fully expect Luck to play with far more poise than Manziel did in the opener. 

"When [Manziel] starts feeling the rush, he starts looking at it," Reilly said. "Then he's not looking downfield to make passes. Most young quarterbacks do [look at the rush], and a lot of shorter ones do, because that's what they see. They're looking right into it. If you're 6-4, 6-5, even though it's four or five inches, for whatever reason, it helps out, with being able to see over the line." 

That aspect of Luck's game — and many other things that separate him from Manziel — means a far bigger challenge for the Jets on Monday against the Colts. 

>   http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/09/how_the_jets_see_similarity_between_johnny_manziel.html#incart_river 

-- The good news for the Colts is that wide receiver T.Y. Hilton's left knee is only bruised. The bad news is there's no timetable on when he will return to the field.Colts coach Chuck Pagano said Monday that the Pro Bowl receiver is day-to-day.

Hilton injured his knee running an out route in the third quarter of Sunday's 27-14 loss to the Buffalo Bills. He remained in the game for a few more plays before exiting to the locker room."Touched my knee [Sunday] and it was really numb," said Hilton, who finished with seven catches for 88 yards. "I felt a lot of swelling. It blew up on me real fast. Just hurting, sore to the touch."I should be all right. I feel better, actually a lot better. Going on, like, my fourth treatment right now. Haven't felt that [before], so it was really scary."

Colts owner Jim Irsay said after the game that he felt like Hilton could "miss some time." Indianapolis' next game is next Monday night against the New York Jets."Monday night speaks for itself," Hilton said. "Everybody is watching Monday night, so it means a lot, especially going against a great Jets defense. It's one I really don't want to miss."

Second-year receiver Donte Moncrief would likely start opposite of Andre Johnson if Hilton doesn't play. Not having Hilton would put more pressure on rookie Phillip Dorsett, who would become the team's third receiver. Dorsett fumbled two punts -- losing one -- and had two receptions for 45 yards against the Bills."We've seen enough in OTAs and offseason programs and training camp," Pagano said. "He has to trust himself, play with confidence. Go out and make plays. He's more than capable."

>    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13657828/ty-hilton-indianapolis-colts-day-day-left-knee-injury

Take away Luck and that team is competing for the #1 draft pick. The Colts sure have been incompetent when it comes to getting back to back superstar QBs the pieces necessary to win. They are nothing spectacular on defense and have no running game to speak of. Put Revis on their #1 WR, and blitz all day long. People counting us out are making a mistake. 

Don't forget that Fitzpatrick has studied this defense twice a year being in the AFC South the past few years, I think he is going to have a great game on Monday. 

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets CB Buster Skrine made an excellent point when discussing the potential absence of Antonio Cromartie (sprained knee): "Our whole secondary is full of starters. The guys who started last year are second string." He was alluding to CBs Marcus Williams and Darrin Walls, both of whom would move up a spot if Cromartie doesn't play against the Colts on MNF.

> http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

~ ~   Quick Hitters

Bowles on rookie WR Devin Smithicon-article-link.gif's availability for the Colts: "We're going to see how he practices, if he can take a hit or two, and we'll go from there." ... Bowles' pressbox adviser on replays and clock management is OLBs coach Mark Collins: "Mark is calm, level-headed, he can see replays, he understands the rules. He's special that way."

From 2012-14 combined, the Jets' 51 takeaways and minus-39 turnover margin were both last in the NFL. As of today, before the two games tonight finish the Week 1 schedule, the Jets' five takes and plus-4 margin are both first in the league. It's the first time in 60 weeks that the Jets are plus-4 in a season, or since after Game 8 in 2011 at Buffalo. ... All four AFC East teams are tied for first — and last — with 1-0 records after one week for the first time in the 46-year history of the division.

rest of above article :

>    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/NotesQuotes-Marcus-Williams-Steps-Up/e7b07491-749a-4330-9531-053bb3577f65

Take away Luck and that team is competing for the #1 draft pick. The Colts sure have been incompetent when it comes to getting back to back superstar QBs the pieces necessary to win. They are nothing spectacular on defense and have no running game to speak of. Put Revis on their #1 WR, and blitz all day long. People counting us out are making a mistake. 

Don't forget that Fitzpatrick has studied this defense twice a year being in the AFC South the past few years, I think he is going to have a great game on Monday. 

Last year they broke his ******* leg.

With TY out and with Andre Johnson receiving a one way ticket to Revis Island, their main weapon will be Fleener so the Jets safeties will be on call.

Jets should be able to move the ball on the Colts soft defense.

I just don't know. I think this is a game where you take the Colts to win but the Jets take the points

People mentioning the colts offensive line as a weakness, I'm not disagreeing. However, Luck has the fastest release of any QB, and he can scramble and extend plays. His skill set offsets any average offensive line play. 

Even without Hilton, they aren't lacking weapons. Dorsett can do whatever Hilton can. 

I don't think we can hold them for 4 quarters in that dome

With TY out and with Andre Johnson receiving a one way ticket to Revis Island, their main weapon will be Fleener so the Jets safeties will be on call.

Jets should be able to move the ball on the Colts soft defense.

I just don't know. I think this is a game where you take the Colts to win but the Jets take the points

I don't think Fleener is their main weapon.  He only had one target last week.  Don't sleep on Donte Moncrief.  He and Hilton both had more targets than Andre Johnson.  Moncrief is a house and will be a tough cover for little guys like Skrine, Williams and McDougle.  He and Andre are the kind of less shifty guys I would want Cromartie to cover.  Dorsett put up his catches back to back on their 2nd TD drive.  Good news is that he muffed a couple of punts and Gore did not mount much of a running game.   

People mentioning the colts offensive line as a weakness, I'm not disagreeing. However, Luck has the fastest release of any QB, and he can scramble and extend plays. His skill set offsets any average offensive line play. 

Even without Hilton, they aren't lacking weapons. Dorsett can do whatever Hilton can. 

I'm missing what makes the Colts a great terror. I'd rather face Luck than Brady and we had good games against Brady last year, even with a miserable secondary and no offense. Here's how the Colts looked against the Bills:

Luck threw 49 times against the Bills with 26 completions for 243 yards (an unimpressive 53%), while they ran it 17 times for 62 yards (Average: 3.8 per play). Luck was picked off twice and Dorsett lost one of two fumbles. Hilton was their main receiver at 88 yards on 7 receptions, which was double the next receiver, Moncrief.  The Colts put up an anemic 4.5 yards per offensive play overall. The defense gave up 195 yards (4.1 yards per play) on the ground and produced zero sacks. The team had only five penalties (Buffalo had 11), so pretty clean on that front. These are not good numbers overall. The defense got pounded on the ground and the offense was anemic.

If HIlton is out, saying Dorsett will just step in for him if ridiculous. Dorsett is a rookie who hasn't shown anything yet, other than an ability to fumble.

There are many similarities between the Bills and Jets in style and strength. The Colts have never been able to stop the run and they've been beaten over and over again by teams that ran down their throats. I think the Jets should be favored in this one, all things considered.

Colts suck -- I can't think of a more overrated team.  No reason the Jets can't beat them soundly. 

They were mercilessly gashed last year by the likes of LaGarrette Blount, Jonas Gray, and the Patriots' average (at best) run-blocking unit.  If the Jets are committed to running Ivory, it should be a similar fiasco for the Colts.  I think Arthur Jones is injured, so that doesn't help the Colts cause. 

I totally agree.  The defense is going to be revved up and I can see us picking off Luck once or twice.  The Colts are extremely overrated. 

It is a tough matchup, but to me the Colts O-Line is embarrassing and their defense is not much better. I think Luck will have just a bit of a slightly better game than Manziel did but I don't see him toying with a secondary especially with Hilton hurt.

Colts will probably win but I don't think it is going to be a blowout.

it is never a good matchup when you face a QB like Luck.  But our D line should swallow their O line.  Luck will have to scramble. And we should run at will against their swiss cheese front 7.  Their secondary is not much either.  Severely limit the mistakes and it should be close.

I'm missing what makes the Colts a great terror. I'd rather face Luck than Brady and we had good games against Brady last year, even with a miserable secondary and no offense. Here's how the Colts looked against the Bills:

Luck threw 49 times against the Bills with 26 completions for 243 yards (an unimpressive 53%), while they ran it 17 times for 62 yards (Average: 3.8 per play). Luck was picked off twice and Dorsett lost one of two fumbles. Hilton was their main receiver at 88 yards on 7 receptions, which was double the next receiver, Moncrief.  The Colts put up an anemic 4.5 yards per offensive play overall. The defense gave up 195 yards (4.1 yards per play) on the ground and produced zero sacks. The team had only five penalties (Buffalo had 11), so pretty clean on that front. These are not good numbers overall. The defense got pounded on the ground and the offense was anemic.

If HIlton is out, saying Dorsett will just step in for him if ridiculous. Dorsett is a rookie who hasn't shown anything yet, other than an ability to fumble.

There are many similarities between the Bills and Jets in style and strength. The Colts have never been able to stop the run and they've been beaten over and over again by teams that ran down their throats. I think the Jets should be favored in this one, all things considered.

I laugh how everyone says they are going to be "angry" and take it out on the Jets.  We avoid/limit turnovers and penalties, we win this game out right. 

FWIW, I think both  Dorsett's fumbles were muffed punts, but he did have a drop by most accounts.  He is a boom or bust rookie.  I wouldn't bet on him to kill us, but I wouldn't feel super comfortable covering him either.

Lucks release isnt in the same world as Rodgers. Luck is so massively overrated. I guess people need there to be the next guy. He is a very good QB, no question, but he is not on the level or anywhere near Rodgers, Brady, Brees. I dont think he is as good as Rapelisburger either who he is most similar to. 

I see no reason we cannot beat this Indy team. None. We match up well on both sides of the ball. As long as Bowles does not go into a soft zone late like so many do against Luck we should be fine.

On defense I never want to see more than a 5 man rush. We can cover these pedestrian receivers all day, but you can't beat Luck with the blitz.

According to Pro Football Focus, Andrew Luck was 10-for-25 with two interceptions against blitzes Week 1.

Luck was 16-of-24 with one touchdown and no picks when the Bills did not bring extra defenders. Luck has traditionally excelled against the blitz, but the shaky interior of the Colts' offensive line could present problems against extra rushers this season. Luck gets another aggressive defense this week in the Jets.

Archived