Any News out on the Jets cuts yet?

And I am not even sure that you have to wait until tomorrow as there have been a few players in the nfl already placed on the IR designated to return.

Perhaps it was related to the PUP because I thought I read something a day or 2 ago that stated a date and time for putting someone on somehting.  Why can't it be PUP?  I don't think he has returned to practice since the hand injury and surgery.  Only been in rehab area I think?

Perhaps it was related to the PUP because I thought I read something a day or 2 ago that stated a date and time for putting someone on somehting.  Why can't it be PUP?  I don't think he has returned to practice since the hand injury and surgery.  Only been in rehab area I think?

Milliner was activated from the PUP in preseason.... In order to get on regular season PUP you have to be on PUP all preseason

• Thumb Down 1

Owusu just looks like a victim of the numbers game.

Powell is questionable

Kinda bummed that we cut skinny Powell. He's the kinda of underdog who's fun to root for. So far Mac has been dead on so I'm not gonna complain. Excited to see what he comes up with at WR.

I think Powell will be coming back in the next 2 days personally unless they find someone better.  Look at this image alone from preseason.

PowerllStats.JPG

Powell can play both positions.

Edited by JETSfaninNE
  • Upvote 2

First time i legitimately question the front office.

Dalton Freeman had ability to start if necessary.

owusu has talent to be at our 5 and potentially more. Devin smith is our 5 and has been injured...

hakim was a legit gunner...

powell was skilled at pr...and who else do we have for that job?

Dalton isn't a starter.

Owusu is tricky, he's had too many concussions to trust

Hakim is pure jag.  Has never done anything in a field.

Powell was skilled.  He may be back soon. Or someone they think is better will be here. Feel safe they aren't going into the season without a PR

• Upvote 1

Kerley is slow and was awful as a PR and I'm not knocking the man those are just the facts.

If only the 4 different special teams coordinators that the Jets/Kerley have had knew the facts.  

Kerley received punts under Westoff, Kotwica, McGaughey, and now under a whole new regime and ST coordinator Bobby April.

All they needed were the facts, but they only get paid to do this.

Kerley is a reliable PR who may not get many yards, but catches the ball.

Edited by hawk

jeaniec is happy.  She has her EJ.

Bills threw away two picks on Cassel 

Rex's previous two GMs wouldn't've had the balls to dump a player they had traded for, just to save face. Cassel had to be bad for them to make that move, but kudos on making it. 

• Upvote 2

The Jets got down to the NFL-mandated 53-player limit on Saturday, but they're likely not finished pruning their roster around the edges.

The makeup of the 53-man is still very much in flux, as waiver claims can be made by noon Sunday, the practice squad gets set after 1 p.m. Sunday, and other moves get sorted out to fill out spots that may still need to be addressed.

Such as:

1. Quarterback. Both Matt Flynn and Josh Johnson were among Saturday's cuts, which means the Jets have just two healthy quarterbacks (Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bryce Petty). Quarterbacks cut by other teams—Matt Cassel of the Bills, for example—could still be an option. But if the Jets still want to add another veteran because they feel Petty is not ready, they would likely do it after Week 1, when they wouldn't have to guarantee that quarterback's salary. Remember, the only reason the Jets need another veteran quarterback is because Geno Smith is out with a broken jaw. But Smith, who is on the 53, is expected to be healthy again in a few more weeks, so they could also just roll with Petty as their No. 2 till then. It's risky, but it keeps them from having four quarterbacks eating up roster spots.

2. Wide receiver/kickoff returner. The Jets elected to keep just five wide receivers, including two who are injured: Devin Smith (broken ribs) and Jeremy Kerley (concussion). But by cutting Chris Owusu and Walter Powell, they also don't have a reliable kickoff returner. (Kerley, who ought not to be out much longer, can return punts.) Owusu is not practice-squad eligible, so perhaps the Jets will bring him back after the waiver wire/practice squad dust settles. Powell could get claimed on waivers, but he also could wind up on the practice squad. Another option would be to put in a waiver claim for a wideout/kickoff returner who gets cut on Saturday.

PLUS: Jets 53-man roster: Who made it, who didn't

3. Tight end. With Wes Saxton and Arthur Lynch both among the final cuts, and with Jace Amaro (shoulder) on season-ending injured reserve, the Jets have just two tight ends at the moment. Quincy Enunwa, one of their wideouts, is a hybrid who can play H-back and block from the slot or on the outside, but Enunwa hasn't lined up with his hand on the ground all summer. A waiver claim—the Lions cut Joseph Fauria on Saturday, and the Jets had former Packers tight end Brandon Bostick in for a workout on Friday—seems to be a logical option. Waiver claims are done according to draft order, so the Jets are sixth in line.

4. Short-term injured reserve. After 4 p.m. Sunday, all teams are permitted to place one player from their 53-man roster on short-term injured reserve, which would free up a roster spot for someone else. A player on short-term IR cannot practice for six weeks and can't play until after Week 8. He also must be seriously injured. Two possible candidates are wideout Devin Smith (broken ribs) and cornerback Dee Milliner (wrist).

Dom Cosentino may be reached at dcosentino@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @domcosentino. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.