Geno is back at practice.

Thor99

Charlie Brown is once again correct.  We've all seen Geno play, and he hasn't been great...but most will agree he hasn't had a whole lot to work with....The kid certainly has the skill set to play in this league and, on occasion, has performed at a quality NFL QB level...

I, for one, would liked to have seen him perform under a high level OC (Gaily) and with legitimate NFL weapons.

While understandable, the dislike for him is unfair.  

I realize that this debate will rage on.  On one hand, the statistics prove that he has been one of the worst, if not the worst, QBs in the league.  On the other hand, he had crappy weapons and a 'bad' OC (same excuses for Sanchez).  If you like him, you make excuses; if you don't you fall to statistics.

For me, the 2 most telling points are that he let a situation with a teammate get so out of hand, that he got into a fight. And, secondly, most of the locker room didn't get his back. IMHO that is all we need to know.  He is still acting like an arrogant kid and he hasn't won over the locker room.  I think it is time to move on....

It is like with Sanchez.  He was broken when he left.  Was it his maturity, football IQ and work ethic, or did the Jets break him? IDK, but either way he was broken.

I think Geno is done here; is it his fault, the Jets fault, both? IDK, but not sure he has a future here.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eli being a top pick hirts your argument more.., a #1 pick gets a much longer leash than a 2 rounder 

Eli may have had 30 TDs and 26 INts after his first 2 years...but he completed 48% and 53% of his passes...he was pretty awful his first two years...Geno has 25 Tds and 34 INTs, 56% and 60%...There is hope Gaily can crack the safe, but it's likly 15-25% possible...IMO

I don't know if anyone else listened to Bowles press conference but he indicated that Petty was further along then even the other QBs who they brought in.  What  I was impressed by was the fact that Bowles was not nervous if Petty had to replace Fitz for some time. This tells me that Petty is getting better and better and will be ready for some real action to compete next year....

Interesting indeed.

I think so too.  I think if he put in the same level of work he did in training camp one more off season, I think he'll push for the starting spot next year.  I still think if the BPA is a QB that falls in their laps, they have to take one next year.  They cant put all the eggs in one basket.  I think Shanahan was smart to grab Cousins the year they took RG3.  RG3 was never a sure thing, I think they knew it then...or at least Mike and Kyle thought that way (I live in DC). Jets would be smart to grab another young developmental QB with a live arm.  Hope Enunwa or a TE can develop into a nice safety valve...we need to develop a young QB with this run game and these WRs to work with in the next 2-3 years before Marshall retires and Decker hits 30-31.   

Just once can't this team have a QB that people don't have to make excuses for?

The Geno excuse makers can say anything they want, in the end I still watched the Buffalo game and two years of games where Geno was the worst QB in the NFL.  I also watched the Miami game in which he had good stats but looked like crap.    

I would have liked to see Geno in new offense with new weapons in preseason but I did not get to because he is a stupidt child that got his jaw broken over $600.  So this fan wishes he had been traded.   Fitz till the coach thinks Petty is ready. 

So last year with marginal talent around him, in his second year, that's your evidence?  Not this years new coaching staff who all sang his praises and the strides he's made?  He isn't a player that can develop and mature, and progress his game?

So last year with marginal talent around him, in his second year, that's your evidence?  Not this years new coaching staff who all sang his praises and the strides he's made?  He isn't a player that can develop and mature, and progress his game?

mature??   You mean like getting your jaw broke over $600????    I can see his maturity seeping out.  

I also watched his first year when he was the worst QB in the NFL.    So there is that. 

Geno Smith (broken jaw) is not expected back until Week 6.

Smith has resumed participating in positional quarterback drills at Jets practice, but he won't be available in the first four games of the season. If Ryan Fitzpatrick struggles in the opening month, it's conceivable the Jets would give serious thought to installing Geno during their Week 5 bye.

Just once can't this team have a QB that people don't have to make excuses for?

The Geno excuse makers can say anything they want, in the end I still watched the Buffalo game and two years of games where Geno was the worst QB in the NFL.  I also watched the Miami game in which he had good stats but looked like crap.    

I would have liked to see Geno in new offense with new weapons in preseason but I did not get to because he is a stupid child that got his jaw broken over $600.  So this fan wishes he had been traded.   Fitz till the coach thinks Petty is ready. 

if you watched the fins game and thought he looked like crap you really need to stay out of this conversation.  Because you either just hate the guy or are just clueless.  Either way leave the talk to people who understand what they're watching.  

It's almost a goofy as saying not having weapons is just an excuse.  Then saying you wanted to see Geno play with weapons?  Why?  Weapons are excuses.  But because he was punched and you didn't see him with the weapons a QB doesn't need you want him traded.  ?

if you watched the fins game and thought he looked like crap you really need to stay out of this conversation.  Because you either just hate the guy or are just clueless.  Either way leave the talk to people who understand what they're watching.  

It's almost a goofy as saying not having weapons is just an excuse.  Then saying you wanted to see Geno play with weapons?  Why?  Weapons are excuses.  But because he was punched and you didn't see him with the weapons a QB doesn't need you want him traded.  ?

did you really watch Geno in the Miami game?  Go watch it again because I did more then once and he did not look good.   Don't just look at the stats, watch how he plays.    Watch how he built stats.    If you just want to say his stats then I can't help you. 

Bowles seems to be looking at the QB position in a somewhat reasonable manor.

he is judging how his QB's are playing & going with who should give him the better chance to win week 1 ... And all through the 2015 year.

he def has a better feel for all of his QB's ... And the rest of his team as well today vs the first day he walked into our locker room.

i expect he will be judging all 3 QB's daily in determining what will be best for our team .

unless something crazy happens I expect Fitz to be our starter through week 4

Bowles seems to be looking at the QB position in a somewhat reasonable manor.

he is judging how his QB's are playing & going with who should give him the better chance to win week 1 ... And all through the 2015 year.

he def has a better feel for all of his QB's ... And the rest of his team as well today vs the first day he walked into our locker room.

i expect he will be judging all 3 QB's daily in determining what will be best for our team .

unless something crazy happens I expect Fitz to be our starter through week 4

They had already decided that was Geno and Bowles has already said his opinion has not changed.

mature??   You mean like getting your jaw broke over $600????    I can see his maturity seeping out.  

I also watched his first year when he was the worst QB in the NFL.    So there is that. 

Yeah I know, that was all Geno's fault, not the player who actually hit Geno, the player who has a history of anger management issues, who once punched a cop, and who has now been released from two different teams.  

And of course, lets regurgitate his rookie year stats, that always makes sense... (Roll eyes)

did you really watch Geno in the Miami game?  Go watch it again because I did more then once and he did not look good.   Don't just look at the stats, watch how he plays.    Watch how he built stats.    If you just want to say his stats then I can't help you. 

as I said if you think he looked bad, just his numbers looked good you should stop now.  Geno has never been a stat compiler on any level, now he is.  Really, quit

So lets recap summer here.  

1.Geno sucked, Fitzpatrick was much, much better, we're a playoff team with Fitz, we're screwed with Geno

2. Geno gets injured and widespread panic because Fitz is now our starter.  We're screwed with Fitz, trade the house for anyone was the mantra.  

3. Geno might come back soon, now Fitz is now PManning shouldn't go to the bench, Geno gave it away forever, go back to #1 and start over 

1.  Geno was by far the better QB this year. 

2. True, cuz see #1. 

3. No one claimed Fitz to be our savior. 

there re was no real issue.  He was getting shlt from a stewardess and got off the plane to avoid an issue and file a complaint.  It also caused no problems for the team or players. 

My wife is a flight attendant.  The only way you are getting kicked off a flight is if you are being an a$$hole. Period.

BTW, he wasn't "getting sh*t form a stewardess". The entitled prick thought HE didn't need to listen to a FA's instructions.  In a post 9/11 world, that sh*t don't fly.  Literally.

Difference between common sense and intelligence. A lot of really smart people have zero common sense.

Got it. So Geno missing meetings, getting thrown off a commercial flight, throwing the football to the wrong team at a rediculously high rate, sending dick picks, trying to walk out on the draft, stiffing a teamate for $600, getting his jaw broken, is really smart with zero common sense.

I think they said the same thing about Oppenheimer,Einstein, Goddard and Hawking.

Different than when you wanted the best QB in camp to be the one to play.  Now its whoever is playing better? Geno by everyones account had won the battle of camp

I don't fully agree with that. Being the QB is more than just how he performed on the field (in practice, no less). He also needs to be the leader of the team. I don't at all think he hasn't soured a bunch of his own teammates on his leadership abilities after the IK incident. If it's a night & day difference on the field, where one is clearly great and the other clearly awful, then that's different. But if one was pretty good and the other was just meh (while playing for the first time since an injury sidelined him last year), then it's a little cloudier.

The team needs more than just the one who's better in practice or physically. It needs a leader. The reality is Geno could use a little seeing how Fitzpatrick acts as that leader, because he's never seen it before. He saw Sanchez and Vick; two turds. Fitzpatrick may not be the most gifted QB but he's no turd. In addition to watching how someone else handles the position properly, Geno could also use with having his ego checked a bit. It did well for him last year after getting benched for Vick. But if (yes, "if") his exchange with IK really included getting in his face and, after declining to pay IK the $600 he previously promised, got in IK's face and said something to the effect of, "And you can't do sh*t about it [because I'm the starting QB and you're just a backup LB]."

If they win the first game and Fitzpatrick is competent but not at all lights out, I think he still keeps the job until he fails IF Bowles thinks the leadership disparity helps make the rest of the team play/respond better around him. If not - and particularly if Geno gives a big mea culpa to the full locker room - it would go a long way to changing that.

One cannot lead those who will not follow.

I don't fully agree with that. Being the QB is more than just how he performed on the field (in practice, no less). He also needs to be the leader of the team. I don't at all think he hasn't soured a bunch of his own teammates on his leadership abilities after the IK incident. If it's a night & day difference on the field, where one is clearly great and the other clearly awful, then that's different. But if one was pretty good and the other was just meh (while playing for the first time since an injury sidelined him last year), then it's a little cloudier.

The team needs more than just the one who's better in practice or physically. It needs a leader. The reality is Geno could use a little seeing how Fitzpatrick acts as that leader, because he's never seen it before. He saw Sanchez and Vick; two turds. Fitzpatrick may not be the most gifted QB but he's no turd. In addition to watching how someone else handles the position properly, Geno could also use with having his ego checked a bit. It did well for him last year after getting benched for Vick. But if (yes, "if") his exchange with IK really included getting in his face and, after declining to pay IK the $600 he previously promised, got in IK's face and said something to the effect of, "And you can't do sh*t about it [because I'm the starting QB and you're just a backup LB]."

If they win the first game and Fitzpatrick is competent but not at all lights out, I think he still keeps the job until he fails IF Bowles thinks the leadership disparity helps make the rest of the team play/respond better around him. If not - and particularly if Geno gives a big mea culpa to the full locker room - it would go a long way to changing that.

One cannot lead those who will not follow.

C'mon this isn't Braveheart or war.  The team will "follow" whoever they're paid to.  

If people want to bring up past history to help determine fault in the punch incident, cool, but do it for both.  IK has a history of violence.  Two other punching incidents.  Dude is a thug.  Yet people just want to knock Geno for it.  It's an argument between guys that shouldn't have resulted in violence.  Which we don't know anything about btw.  We're like some gossiping lil girls discussing hearsay from gossip reporters.  An argument between two guys over something small, and one guy decides to take it to a criminal level.  But yeah knock Geno for it.

I have no doubt that if the roles were reversed and it was Geno who threw the punch, the same haters would be knocking Geno for it.  It's cool though.  If Geno improves, as I expect he will when he starts soon, overcoming this situation and his critics will only prove to help him mature into this great leader many want to see.

Difference between common sense and intelligence. A lot of really smart people have zero common sense.

Truth.

As for his on-field performance, I think it's more the pressure than a lack of intelligence or common sense. If you can't handle the pressure, you can't think as easily, and therefore are prone to making bonehead mistakes.

Like Sanchez, I think Geno succumbs to the pressure too easily. Whether or not that can be remedied, is another question entirely.

For the record, I was excited to see what Geno could do this season, but now I just want to see if Fitz plays well.

C'mon this isn't Braveheart or war.  The team will "follow" whoever they're paid to.  

If you want to bring up past history to help determine fault in the punch incident, cool, but do it for both.  IK has a history of violence.  Two other punching incidents.  Dude is a thug.  Yet people just want to knock Geno for it.  It's an argument between guys that shouldn't have resulted in violence.  Which we don't know anything about btw.  We're like some gossiping lil girls discussing hearsay from gossip reporters.  An argument between two guys over something small, and one guy decides to take it to a criminal level.  But yeah knock Geno for it.

I have no doubt that if the roles were reversed and it was Geno who threw the punch, the same haters would be knocking Geno for it.  It's cool though.  If Geno improves, as I expect he will when he starts soon, overcoming this situation and his critics will only prove to help him mature into this great leader many want to see.

I didn't say this is Braveheart or war. But it also isn't backgammon or fantasy football. A team definitely responds better to a better leader (in the huddle, on the sideline, or really both). To deny this is to deny that leadership plays a significant role in a team sport. 

I don't give a crap about IK's history of violence, and I didn't even bring up the punch at all, so save that for someone else. I only referred to what (allegedly, but surely) happened prior to IK busting his jaw. If IK instead had walked away from the situation with his head down, whimpering about $600, with a snot bubble coming out of his nose, it's irrelevant. Geno's immature behavior up to that point is what is relevant. IK is a maniac with anger issues. That doesn't therefore mean Geno didn't provoke him and that his fault didn't end with merely not paying IK $600. A guy doesn't just swing at the team's starting QB for no reason at all, anger management issues or not.  There was more to it, and a much better way for Geno to handle it, and that has nothing to do with IK popping him, since Geno was in the wrong even without that. The only difference is we wouldn't know about it.

Usually we find the most likely scenario seems such for a reason. I'm far from the biggest anti-Geno person here, but it's pretty hard to argue (on Geno's behalf) that he has displayed the requisite leadership for the position. 

because he isn't healthy? 

Otherwise he would be starting.  

Pretty sure you're interpreting things wrong. Bowles' if we're 4-, 5-, 6-, 7-0 when Geno returns quote was one example of why Geno might not make it back in the starting lineup, not the only example. Bowles is publicly being kind to Geno when he says he's not letting Geno's role in the punching incident effect his opinion, but it has to effect it. The lack of players rallying behind Geno was astonishing. It was very clear that it was not his locker room. 

And before you try to lump me in with the dreaded Geno haters, be advised that I was 100% on board with the plan to start him this year and see what we've got in him under Gailey with a couple NFL quality receivers. 

Geno should not be handed the job back, and I don't think he will. He'll have to earn it. It'll be harder for him to that if Fitzpatrick is playing -not perfect!, but- just well. 

Pretty sure you're interpreting things wrong. Bowles' if we're 4-, 5-, 6-, 7-0 when Geno returns quote was one example of why Geno might not make it back in the starting lineup, not the only example. Bowles is publicly being kind to Geno when he says he's not letting Geno's role in the punching incident effect his opinion, but it has to effect it. The lack of players rallying behind Geno was astonishing. It was very clear that it was not his locker room. 

And before you try to lump me in with the dreaded Geno haters, be advised that I was 100% on board with the plan to start him this year and see what we've got in him under Gailey with a couple NFL quality receivers. 

Geno should not be handed the job back, and I don't think he will. He'll have to earn it. It'll be harder for him to that if Fitzpatrick is playing -not perfect!, but- just well. 

Hater.

I didn't say this is Braveheart or war. A team definitely responds better to a better leader (in the huddle, on the sideline, or really both). To deny this is to deny that leadership plays a significant role in a team sport. 

I don't give a crap about IK's history of violence, and I didn't even bring up the punch at all, so save that for someone else. I only referred to what (allegedly, but surely) happened prior to IK busting his jaw. If IK instead had walked away from the situation with his head down, whimpering about $600, with a snot bubble coming out of his nose, it's irrelevant. Geno's immature behavior up to that point is what is relevant. IK is a maniac with anger issues. That doesn't therefore mean Geno didn't provoke him and that his fault didn't end with merely not paying IK $600. A guy doesn't just swing at the team's starting QB for no reason at all, anger management issues or not.  There was more to it, and a much better way for Geno to handle it, and that has nothing to do with IK popping him, since Geno was in the wrong even without that. The only difference is we wouldn't know about it.

Usually we find the most likely scenario seems such for a reason. I'm far from the biggest anti-Geno person here, but it's pretty hard to argue (on Geno's behalf) that he has displayed the requisite leadership for the position. 

My bad.  Didn't mean to call you out on that.  Quickly changed the line,  "If you want to bring up past history to help determine fault in the punch incident..."  to read, "If people...".

Had just read through the recent posts and replied as I was running out the door late.

I personally don't expect much leadership from a 2nd round pick early on.  Again as mentioned a couple times already, he had no business playing most of his first two seasons anyway.  Combine some immaturity, with a cr@p supporting cast and the NY media, and I'm surprised the kid is still fighting.  Hearing the positive reports from camp early on was not only telling me he was getting better on the field, but also he's determined to succeed no matter what is thrown at him.  Does that equate to a great leader?  No, but it's a good start.

And I'm in no way a Geno cheerleader.  I thought it was dumb drafting him and freakin nuts having him battle Sanchez his 1st year in camp.

My bad.  Didn't mean to call you out on that.  Quickly changed the line,  "If you want to bring up past history to help determine fault in the punch incident..."  to read, "If people...".

Had just read through the recent posts and replied as I was running out the door late.

I personally don't expect much leadership from a 2nd round pick early on.  Again as mentioned a couple times already, he had no business playing most of his first two seasons anyway.  Combine some immaturity, with a cr@p supporting cast and the NY media.  I'm surprised the kid is still fighting.  Hearing the positive reports from camp early on was not only telling me he was getting better on the field, but also he's determined to succeed no matter what is thrown at him.  Does that equate to a great leader.  No, but it's a good start.

And I'm in no wway a cheerleader.  I thought it was dumb drafting him and freakin nuts having him battle Sanchez his 1st year in camp.

Except it's not that early on anymore. He's entering his 3rd NFL season. He's been a starting NFL QB for 2 seasons now, and was handed the job to start a 3rd.

He could use seeing how Fitzpatrick handles the job since (as I mentioned initially) the only veteran NFL QBs he'd had the chance to learn QB leadership from were Sanchez and Vick. It's a little like learning modesty from Rex Ryan.

I'm not that thrilled to have a starting QB with Fitzpatrick's obvious physical limitations, but you can't have the whole huddle (save Brandon Marshall) thinking their QB is a punk undeserving of respect. It's an emotional sport, and IMO you are underestimating the importance of leadership in such a setting. 

He's been a starting NFL QB for 2 seasons now, and was handed the job to start a 3rd.

We differ there.  I don't think the job was handed to him.  The GM and coach had no ties to Geno.  I believe he earned the 1 spot early on.  Decidedly so at that.

Got it. So Geno missing meetings, getting thrown off a commercial flight, throwing the football to the wrong team at a rediculously high rate, sending dick picks, trying to walk out on the draft, stiffing a teamate for $600, getting his jaw broken, is really smart with zero common sense.

And the new coach and GM who didn't draft Geno remain in awe of him because of his legendary performance during the pre-pre-season.

Archived