Geno is back at practice.

Thor99

We differ there.  I don't think the job was handed to him.  The GM and coach had no ties to Geno.  I believe he earned the 1 spot early on.  Decidedly so at that.

Nah, I agree with Sperm. Pretty sure they decided it was Geno's job before they even saw him in person. Not that that didn't make sense. They knew what their draft prospects were, what their free agent prospects were, and determined that Geno was their best option. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We differ there.  I don't think the job was handed to him.  The GM and coach had no ties to Geno.  I believe he earned the 1 spot early on.  Decidedly so at that.

He had not beaten out Fitzpatrick for the job at the time it was handed to him. The job was his to lose and - to Geno's credit - he didn't lose it (until the obvious events with IK). 

That is still kind of handing it to him, since it required him to only be better than a still-injured QB with inferior physical skills even when healthy. 

Nah, I agree with Sperm. Pretty sure they decided it was Geno's job before they even saw him in person. Not that that didn't make sense. They knew what their draft prospects were, what their free agent prospects were, and determined that Geno was their best option. 

Well if that's the case, then I'd prefer Fitz start.  However as I understand it, Geno clearly was the much better option before the punch.

However as I understand it, Geno clearly was the much better option before the punch.

You mean the guy that got all the first team reps because they wanted to confirm all time all time what they had or didn't have with him.

Yeah he probably would have been the front runner at that point. 

Lets hope he could hit Brandon Marshall and Decker and hand off to Ivory with no discernible pressure on him. 

I don't fully agree with that. Being the QB is more than just how he performed on the field (in practice, no less). He also needs to be the leader of the team. I don't at all think he hasn't soured a bunch of his own teammates on his leadership abilities after the IK incident. If it's a night & day difference on the field, where one is clearly great and the other clearly awful, then that's different. But if one was pretty good and the other was just meh (while playing for the first time since an injury sidelined him last year), then it's a little cloudier.

The team needs more than just the one who's better in practice or physically. It needs a leader. The reality is Geno could use a little seeing how Fitzpatrick acts as that leader, because he's never seen it before. He saw Sanchez and Vick; two turds. Fitzpatrick may not be the most gifted QB but he's no turd. In addition to watching how someone else handles the position properly, Geno could also use with having his ego checked a bit. It did well for him last year after getting benched for Vick. But if (yes, "if") his exchange with IK really included getting in his face and, after declining to pay IK the $600 he previously promised, got in IK's face and said something to the effect of, "And you can't do sh*t about it [because I'm the starting QB and you're just a backup LB]."

If they win the first game and Fitzpatrick is competent but not at all lights out, I think he still keeps the job until he fails IF Bowles thinks the leadership disparity helps make the rest of the team play/respond better around him. If not - and particularly if Geno gives a big mea culpa to the full locker room - it would go a long way to changing that.

One cannot lead those who will not follow.

Also keep in mind Geno won that QB battle simply because he was given every single chance to do so. From what I was reading Geno was getting the bulk of the first team snaps and was anointed the starter before any real competition could have taken place just like Sanchez in previous years. Geno could have also won the Job simply because the Jets coaches may have felt Fitz was not physically ready to compete or start in an NFL game. It does take some time to recover from the injury he sustained and lower body strength plays a big part in getting some more zip on the football. I feel 100 % positive if there was a real competition and Fitz was not recovering from injury, he would have won the battle hands down if in fact there ever was a battle in the plans to begin with.

Personally I think Petty looked pretty good in preseason, certainly better than most thought he would, including myself. That being the case, he should have earned  a second string spot. I would certainly like to see Petty develop at this stage because we've got a pretty large sample size of Geno Smith and its not anything like I want to see from a franchise QB moving forward as his actions and abilities have dictated.

I didn't say this is Braveheart or war. But it also isn't backgammon or fantasy football. A team definitely responds better to a better leader (in the huddle, on the sideline, or really both). To deny this is to deny that leadership plays a significant role in a team sport. 

I don't give a crap about IK's history of violence, and I didn't even bring up the punch at all, so save that for someone else. I only referred to what (allegedly, but surely) happened prior to IK busting his jaw. If IK instead had walked away from the situation with his head down, whimpering about $600, with a snot bubble coming out of his nose, it's irrelevant. Geno's immature behavior up to that point is what is relevant. IK is a maniac with anger issues. That doesn't therefore mean Geno didn't provoke him and that his fault didn't end with merely not paying IK $600. A guy doesn't just swing at the team's starting QB for no reason at all, anger management issues or not.  There was more to it, and a much better way for Geno to handle it, and that has nothing to do with IK popping him, since Geno was in the wrong even without that. The only difference is we wouldn't know about it.

Usually we find the most likely scenario seems such for a reason. I'm far from the biggest anti-Geno person here, but it's pretty hard to argue (on Geno's behalf) that he has displayed the requisite leadership for the position. 

exactly.... anyone who has played the game of football or any sport for that matter knows how big an effect great leadership has on a team. They also know how not having leadership can deflate a team.... professional or not, emotions dictate a lot of what happens in sports whether people want to believe that or not.

Why folks say Geno is dumb is beyond me. 

You can't have the offensive talent we have had on the Jets for the last four years and expect a QB to be effective, Period.

Now will Geno be ok going forward I don't know, but I do know that we cant compare the skill positions that we have on the Jets today with what we had when Geno was a rookie or last year.

The Jets coaching staff is going to give him a chance to show what he can do for good or ill because the team has invested a lot in him.

people don't say Geno is dumb because of whats around him or how he plays the game they say hes dumb because of his stupid actions .... give me a call when you see Aaron Rogers, Peyton Manning, Russel Wilson and most all of the other great QB in this league doing some of the things Geno has done the in past years.

Geno thinks because he made it to this level he can act like a smug dick on and off the field.  I got news for him, you should not even do that when you are successful and Geno has not even sniffed success. Even Sanchez did some things to try and put forth leadership by holding offseason workouts for teammates, calling meetings and footing the entire bill. What has Geno done ? Antagonized a teammate into punching his face in ? Acting like a punk is not a smart way to act when you should be leading men.

You mean the guy that got all the first team reps because they wanted to confirm all time all time what they had or didn't have with him.

Yeah he probably would have been the front runner at that point. 

Lets hope he could hit Brandon Marshall and Decker and hand off to Ivory with no discernible pressure on him. 

Ok, if all the reporting and comments from players/coaches were designed to help hand Geno the job instead of him actually earning it, then it's good things worked out this way.  And Geno won't have a shot in hell at getting the job back.

I dobut it though.  My money is still on Geno.  We'll see in a few weeks.

people don't say Geno is dumb because of whats around him or how he plays the game they say hes dumb because of his stupid actions .... give me a call when you see Aaron Rogers, Peyton Manning, Russel Wilson and most all of the other great QB in this league doing some of the things Geno has done the in past years.

Geno thinks because he made it to this level he can act like a smug dick on and off the field.  I got news for him, you should not even do that when you are successful and Geno has not even sniffed success. Even Sanchez did some things to try and put forth leadership by holding offseason workouts for teammates, calling meetings and footing the entire bill. What has Geno done ? Antagonized a teammate into punching his face in ? Acting like a punk is not a smart way to act when you should be leading men.

I agree with you I didn't like Geno's act from the begining but that shows his poor character not stupidity.  But since the Jets jettisoned every young QB to make Geno the "star" they have no choice but to give him a chance and see if he can turn it around.

In truth I'm hoping Petty can be the kind of QB we have dreamed of...

Until then since Geno is here we have to give him a look see.

Well if that's the case, then I'd prefer Fitz start.  However as I understand it, Geno clearly was the much better option before the punch.

I heard/read those same reports myself. But if he's an immature douchebag - one who has no past NFL accomplishments to rest upon, along with much NFL failure - that takes away from his performance in practices. And once the preseason games began it showed the starting D was still playing kind of poorly at that point anyway. 

My preference is/was for Geno to start IF he's so much improved (it looked like he had), IF he's matured (it looks like he hasn't), and IF Fitzpatrick's arm and/or mobility limits the team too much (giving Fitz the benefit of the doubt, that's still in question).  Even defensive-minded teams need to win a shootout now & then. It can't all be week after week of hide the QB's shortcomings, where it's interpreted that the D caused a loss any time they give up 20 points (or even close to 20 points). So if it was just down to that first "IF" (and with his alleged/reported early camp improvements), I was willing to go along with the team's plan to start with him. But if he's still acting like a punk and if Fitzpatrick's arm is far better than it looked 1-2 months ago, then IK may have been the best QB-sorter of all for us.

Time will tell, I suppose. Good chance Fitz doesn't make it through a full season anyway, and it's not like he's had a career exempt of mindless turnovers himself. I don't really care who is the QB. I just want the best one we've got to start the games, so I'm not rooting for either one over the other.

I would think part of the GM and Coach interview process would be to present a plan for the team, so they watched tape from last year and discussed opportunities to improve the team,  hiring Gailey to fix Geno could have been one idea, lets hope a 1st round QB in 2016 is the fall back plan 

Except that Russel Wilson was also involved in the Percy Harvin controversy that resulted in his trade to the Jets.

Look, I'm sure Geno wasn't a saint in the IK incident, but too many players have come forward and backed him, he's a 24 yr old kid, I love all the holier than thou fans who demand that the kid be a mature veteran, the truth is, players who are 24 yrs old are not mature yet, most aren't. 

Too many fans are eating up the media fan fare, there have been plenty of locker room incidents we have probably never heard about, the media coverage is greater than it has ever been...

How friggin' mature has Tom Brady been about the entire deflate scandal?!?!?!?!?!?

How mature is Belichick and the example he is getting killed about in the Spygate scandal with all the new info coming out?

Ho mature was Brett Favre with his whole incident discovered while with the Jets?  A soon to be HOF QB..

Stop it with the Geno hate, he's a kid, let him grow up.

Look, I'm sure Geno wasn't a saint in the IK incident, but too many players have come forward and backed him, 

think you are off on this point Ray.

i remember a whole back & forth immediately after the incident where Brandon Marshall was the only player on the team to say/do anything that could be looked at in Geno's favor as coming forward to back him ... And even his was a tweet that I don't remember to be anything outrageously  pro-Geno

Except that Russel Wilson was also involved in the Percy Harvin controversy that resulted in his trade to the Jets.

Look, I'm sure Geno wasn't a saint in the IK incident, but too many players have come forward and backed him, he's a 24 yr old kid, I love all the holier than thou fans who demand that the kid be a mature veteran, the truth is, players who are 24 yrs old are not mature yet, most aren't. 

Too many fans are eating up the media fan fare, there have been plenty of locker room incidents we have probably never heard about, the media coverage is greater than it has ever been...

How friggin' mature has Tom Brady been about the entire deflate scandal?!?!?!?!?!?

How mature is Belichick and the example he is getting killed about in the Spygate scandal with all the new info coming out?

Ho mature was Brett Favre with his whole incident discovered while with the Jets?  A soon to be HOF QB..

it's you and two other guys that believe this.

Geno will get his shot if and only if Fitzpatrick fails in the first four games. If we're winning games, or losing because of factors other than qb play, they're not going to sit Fitzpatrick down just because geno looked pretty good in training camp 7 on 7s. So let's all hope geno doesn't get another shot at the starting gig this season

You can rant all you want, fact is QB's are held to a higher standard than most and they need to lead even at a young age. I don't know many QB's who act like idiots that are successful. Geno has been in the league long enough to understand this and hes still a punk. Maybe next time your in the stands Geno can flip you off with the rest of the fans who voice their displeasure cause he stinks up the field and his team.

To bring up that Wilson had issue with Harvin is hilarious. No one even heard about the problem until Harvin was dumped for a crappy draft pick. Harvin initiated the incident and was promptly removed.

People seem to forget that a lot of players had Sanchez's back when he was here, sticking up for him when he was at rock bottom, even with him sucking. Says a lot about Geno's leadership when the guy gets punched in the face and no one really wants to talk about it or take sides.

Archived