In other news, the sky is blue (the Patriots cheat?!?)

Thor99

Report: Patriots’ Spygate cheating was widespread over many years

Super Bowl XLIX - New England Patriots v Seattle SeahawksGetty Images

Just days after Tom Brady’s Deflategate suspension was overturned, new attention is being given on the earlier Patriots cheating scandal, known as Spygate.

An ESPN Outside the Lines report, citing interviews with more than 90 sources around the NFL, says that the Spygate cheating lasted “at least 40 games over a period of several seasons from 2000 to 2007,” and that the league never fully investigated all the accusations against the team.

According to the report, the taping of opponents’ signals reached the point where the Patriots had diagrams of the stolen signals that they could use during games.

The report also says that other teams were much more upset about the Patriots’ cheating than they let on, because NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell convinced the rest of the league not to press the issue. Former Rams coach Mike Martz, whose team lost to the Patriots in Belichick’s first Super Bowl, said he was pressured by a “panicked” Goodell to issue a statement saying he was satisfied by the league’s investigation of the Patriots. Martz said he agreed to go along with Goodell’s request to issue a statement backing the league not because he was completely satisfied by the investigation, but because Goodell convinced Martz that a prolonged scandal could badly damage the league.

Anyone who thought the Deflategate ruling was going to end any talk of the Patriots cheating is sorely mistaken. Both Deflategate and Spygate are stories that will have legs.

• Upvote 3

They basically beat the Panthers and Rams in the Superbowl due to cheating. The NFL did nothing about it. What a joke. I really hope fans around the NFL make road games a miserable experience for the Cheaters this year.

Marty Hurney , the former Panthers GM is a member of a golf club where I belong.  he is angry and adamant that your statement is true. 

He is no holds barred in calling the Pats cheaters and he had a front row seat.

• Upvote 2

Wow.  The entire league is a fraud.  Complete and utter fraud.  The Patriots have ruined the NFL.  

Shame.  That one team is allowed to do whatever they want and essentially tear down the best thing going in sports.  Not anymore though.

Saturdays >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sundays

Thanks Cheatriots, Belicheat and Goodell!!!!! 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Interesting that NFL/ESPN effectively decided to slap an ESPN byline on Bryan O'Leary's book to bridge the NFL's embarrassing loss in DeflateGate and the Patriots' season opener.  Maybe Goodell should just try doing things right the first time instead of trying to back-fill all his idiotic missteps with a CYA-style PR assault 8 years after the fact?  Just a thought. 

• Upvote 1

Dear god. Stealing playsheets?!

This what I said at the time!!! 

That Goodell actually instituited a cover-up on behalf of the Pats.  The Pats defenders say well what good does it do.?  Think during the Herm era the jets were close to beating the Pats anyway!  What would have happend if they didnt have folks literally stealing the other teams playbooks.

And for all the clowns out herre who say everyone does it, NO THEY DON'T!!!!!!!

Pick up a book http://ponerology.com/ and find out what demented souls do.  This isn't normal or acceptable!

All this proves is that the the NFL is fixed at times, indeed when no one goes punished as stated above by BurnLey Jet this is the definition of a FIX!!!!!

Good Grief!!!!

Marty Hurney , the former Panthers GM is a member of a golf club where I belong.  he is angry and adamant that your statement is true. 

He is no holds barred in calling the Pats cheaters and he had a front row seat.

Tell Marty that his guys should have tried blocking Ted Washington in the first half and maybe the outcome would have been different.   Or was it because Ted knew all the plays in advance that he was rag-dolling the entire Panthers' interior OL on every single play? 

Smart-alecky comments aside, I have no problem whatsoever with the Patriots videotaping signals in plain view because stealing signals is 100% legal (though certainly they deserved to be punished for Spygate; I just mean it doesn't affect my view of the integrity of the game).  But the stealing of play-sheets out of visiting locker rooms and videotaping grease boards (which are not in plain sight on the sidelines), is another level of violation entirely and the Patriots should deservedly fry for that (and the results of the games should undoubtedly be questioned) if true. 

Edited by AFCEastFan

They have ruined it for me. I'm not even mad about this, just kinda disinterested. I have no faith in the outcomes of these games anymore. They are fixed like Boxing. Of course Tom Brady the least athletic starting QB since Chad Pennington is a cheater. What a surprise. Of course he got away with it.

I'm done or at least winding down on this stuff. I already called to cancel the Sunday Ticket. I'll watch them if they are on free tv, maybe. But i'll watch college on sats and go golf on Sunday instead.  I don't have to support a league that has no integrity. 

You are not alone.... In fact, I feel that way about ESPN to a large degree. 

• Upvote 1

Years later, Walsh recalled to Senate investigators that Adams told old stories from the Browns about giving a video staffer an NFL Films shirt and assigning him to film the opponents' sideline huddles and grease boards from behind the bench. The shared view of Belichick and Adams, according to many who've worked with them, is this: The league is lazy and incompetent, so why not push every boundary? "You'd want Bill and Ernie doing your taxes," says a former Patriots assistant coach. "They would find all the loopholes, and then when the IRS would close them, they'd find more."

This is some crazy stuff - anyone questioning how badly this team cheats is crazy...I've never been a fan of doing this but their championships should be vacated.

• Upvote 4

Un-fvcking-beleivable level of cheating scumbaggery

"At Gillette Stadium, the scrambling and jamming of the opponents' coach-to-quarterback radio line -- "small s---" that many teams do, according to a former Pats assistant coach -- occurred so often that one team asked a league official to sit in the coaches' box during the game and wait for it to happen. Sure enough, on a key third down, the headset went out."

Edited by Bugg
  • Upvote 1

Tell Marty that his guys should have tried blocking Ted Washington in the first half and maybe the outcome would have been different.   Or was it because Ted knew all the plays in advance that he was rag-dolling the entire Panthers' interior OL on every single play? 

Smart-alecky comments aside, I have no problem whatsoever with the Patriots videotaping signals in plain view because stealing signals is 100% legal.  But if the stealing of play-sheets out of visiting locker rooms and videotaping grease boards (which are not in plain sight on the sidelines), is another level of violation entirely and the Patriots should deservedly fry for that if true. 

The difference between the number one golfer and the number 125 golfer is less than 1.5 strokes per round. Look it up.

Any level of cheating makes a huge difference.  You forgot to mention the whiffed kickoff at halftime.?

• Upvote 2

Interesting that NFL/ESPN effectively decided to slap an ESPN byline on Bryan O'Leary's book to bridge the NFL's embarrassing loss in DeflateGate and the Patriots' season opener.  Maybe Goodell should just try doing things right the first time instead of trying to back-fill all his idiotic missteps with a CYA-style PR assault 8 years after the fact?  Just a thought. 

The article makes Goodell and the NFL front office out to be insanely incompetent at best, completely dirty at worst. This isn't exactly a PR boon for them if you read the article.

• Upvote 3

Everything in the media is released according to an agenda.  So it seems to me that

someone is striking back against NE after the overturn of Brady's suspension.  I don't

know who it is but it makes Goodell look awful.  Maybe it's one of his assistants looking

to be the next commissioner

• Upvote 1