Tomlin's Presser

Maxman

take solace that those pats sb's will forever be tainted in everyone's mind outside of New England

its not just jets fans - it's the world

Its the very first thing people will think of forever when reminded of those games- 

Na, 1 generation from now the only thing that will matter is how the NFL will spin it. We will only care because we lived through it along with a few football purist in the next generation 20 years from now (probably the kin of Jet fans). But overall, the story will be "Relive the dynasty of dynasties with the best coach and QB in football history". 

Watch what I tell you. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Na, 1 generation from now the only thing that will matter is how the NFL will spin it. We will only care because we lived through it along with a few football purist in the next generation 20 years from now (probably the kin of Jet fans). But overall, the story will be "Relive the dynasty of dynasties with the best coach and QB in football history". 

Watch what I tell you. 

of course it will, no one talks about the cheating UCLA dynasty under John Wooden or the Steeler steroid aided dynasty of the 70s, Denver cheating the cap to win back to back titles, Bill Walsh and his calculated headset issues when he scripted plays.  in time all of this will blow over.

Its not hard to do, I am by no means sticking up for the Pats but any fan can easily disrupt radio communications to the headsets.

Not ANY fan. I can't even get my iphone to stop making it's own decisions and opening any app it friggin wants to. 

The scary part in all of this, is that the headset traffic must be un-encrypted OR they broke the encrytion..  If they could superimpose the radio station feed onto the the opposing teams headset carrier signal, AND the coaches could not hear each other BECAUSE IT WAS TOO LOUD, means that they can also hear what was on the line when it is not tampered with.  In realtime.  Gee, I wonder how they seem to know what is coming before hand.

I doubt NFL teams use encrypted transmission for their headsets most likely it's just basic analog which can be jammed by anyone.

Yea but according to the yahoos out here this is "normal" and happens in every NFL stadium. 

NO IT DOESN'T

Good Grief!!

With under two minutes to go in the second half of a one-point game, Robert Griffin III's helmet communicator 'malfunctioned'. That didn't prevent him from marching down the field, as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers gave up a few easy completions to lose the games, but it's a familiar sight around the NFL. In late, close games, the helmet communicators of visiting teams suddenly 'malfunction'. They stop working.

Santana Moss certainly didn't think it was a coincidence that Griffin's connection to the sideline cut out at the most crucial moment in a hostile stadium. After the game, he essentially accused the Buccaneers of cheating, via Yahoo! Sports.

"Happens every time," Moss said after the game. "No lie. I've been in the league 12 years, I've been in plenty of games, and the home team goes, 'Oh well.' " Then he mimicked yanking an imaginary plug out of a wall.

Go back just one week, and Josh Freeman experienced the same problem in Dallas. On third-and-9 just before the two-minute warning, the fourth-year quarterback called a running play to get something off. That play-call was baffling, but it was caused by a 'malfunctoning' helmet communicator. We've all read stories like that before, and they're not isolated occurrences.

In October of last year, Mike Martz complained to the Chicago Tribune that they have "always had that problem here for some reason", referring to headset problems after a game in Detroit. Earlier that year, Mark Sanchez had problems when his headset 'malfunctioned' during a close AFC Championship loss to the Pittsburgh Steelersvia ESPN. In 2010, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers had the same issue in a close loss to the Atlanta Falcons, one that cost them a spot in the playoffs.

Back to September of last year, and Jason Garrett actually accused the Jets of sabotaging the helmets, via Larry Brown Sports. "It seems to happen a lot on the road. You've just got to fight your way through that." In fact, Larry Brown has a small archive of incidents going back to 2007.

This has been accepted as standard practice in the NFL. You're on the road and the game is close? You're going to have problems with your headset. But this practice hurts the NFL, and it's shocking that this has never been addressed before. The media and coaches still use euphemisms like 'malfunctions' or 'problems' when talking about this issue, even though technology has progressed to a point where this really shouldn't be an issue. And certainly not an issue that is somehow only restricted to the visiting side in the final minutes of close games.

By rule, when a communicator cuts out on one side, the other side will have its communications cut off as well. But it should be obvious that a quarterback and the offense benefit more from the ability to communicate than does the defense, especially in two-minute, hurry-up situations where the defense often plays the same coverage on every snap. The home team tries to take away the advantage of communication through simple cheating.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers cheated yesterday, and still lost the game. But this isn't about the Buccaneers, as they've been the victim of this kind of cheating over and over again themselves. It's about an NFL that refuses to address something that actually hurts the game in subtle ways. Fans are paying for he right to see an athletic contest decided by skill and luck, but not by cheating. When will the NFL address this?

http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/10/1/3437246/bucs-cheat-redskins-how-headset-cheating-is-hurting-the-nfl

Just because they cheat doesn't mean they can't be beaten but it does me they help sway the odds in their favor - It shouldn't be acceptable.

And no, every team doesn't cheat.  Most people have integrity.

Thank you not everyone cheats.  I have said it before there has been no systematic cheating done by the Jets ever under Rex, Mangini, Herm, or Al Groah.  

The idea that everyone is cheating on a systemic basis is patently and varifiably false and yet some Jets fans continue to spot this unsubstantiated lie as fact.  

Disgraceful. 

Thank you not everyone cheats.  I have said it before there has been no systematic cheating done by the Jets ever under Rex, Mangini, Herm, or Al Groah.  

The idea that everyone is cheating on a systemic basis is patently and varifiably false and yet some Jets fans continue to spot this unsubstantiated lie as fact.  

Disgraceful. 

So your saying the Tuna coming from the Pats was a cheater?? :P

I doubt NFL teams use encrypted transmission for their headsets most likely it's just basic analog which can be jammed by anyone.

Anyone can jam any frequency with the right equipment.  If they are not using any encryption and/or frequency hopping scheme, then anyone can listen in.  And based on their home record, I am sure the Pats do.

What it really comes down to is no benefit of the doubt should ever be given to That Team.  If a meteor hits the field and interrupts an opponent's play, the working assumption will be that Belichick ordered it. Burden is now on That Team to prove that they didn't have something to do with it.  This isn't a court of law. It's life when you have a sh*t reputation.

**** Mike Tomlin.

He should be upset that he took his team to Foxboro and had them come out looking like one of the least prepared teams in the league in the opening game of the season. The only reason the Steelers were even in this game is because the Patriots defense isn't any good, and Ben can go off-script to extend plays.

As for the headsets, you gotta figure the Patriots have made an extensive investment in stealing hand signs. If you remove the radio, it forces teams to use hand signs as a primary means of communication. If you are fresh off of a cheating scandal, but want to be able to keep cheating, then you go right back to it - then be prepared to cry that you've experienced the exact same problems. So that it gets blown off as a technical problem, not foul play.

The problem, and why it is totally unbelievable that Belichick has always had the same problem, is that Bill has shown that if ANYTHING causes him disadvantage he furiously fixes it. We saw this first hand when the muddy field caused them to lose to Mangini's Jets, the next day, new turf was installed. So, nobody for a second should believe that Belichick's always experienced radio problems (just like his opponents) in his home games. He wouldn't stand for it, just like he wouldn't stand for not knowing about the deflated balls.

I'll give him one thing... he's an extremely tactical liar.

you assume it is a disadvantage but it is actually an advantage for him since he has prepared for this, other teams can prepare for it like you said, with hand signals, but they have stolen the hand signals...

They remind me of the mafia during it's last days when Gotti was still in charge. Arrogant to the nth degree, with the attitude that they can do whatever they want because nobody can EVER touch them. And I know that politics is a no no and all, but I also can see a correlation between the way that this New England team from it's owners all the way down to it's fans is acting in the same way a political party can "fix" the system so they can always win. That's as far as I'll go.... 

To be fair on the pick plays, Mornhinweg installed a sh*tload and the Jets guys were pitiful at them.  They would literally run out there and block.  I guess maybe we could blame that on Sanjay Lal cause I could show them how to do it in about 10 minutes.  It's even simpler than having Girardi come in and teach how to slide.

Joe Walton was also a master of the pick play

NFL basically exonerating the Patriots of any blame, naturally:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000525883/article/league-reacts-to-steelerspatriots-headset-controversy

NFL statement on Steelers-Pats headset controversy

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was clearly unhappy with what he described as an ongoing headset malfunction during Thursday night's season-opener, and suggested it was something that is "always the case" when he plays in Foxborough.

On Friday, the NFL released a statement regarding the matter, via NFL spokesman Michael Signora:

"Technological and stadium infrastructure issues of this type happen at many stadiums around the league and whenever there are issues of this nature, we do a thorough review."

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick also complained of headset issues as well, which were apparently exacerbated by the poor weather conditions. Signora mentioned this in a statement released on Thursday night, seeming to clear the Patriots of any blame in the matter.

With a second statement today, it sounds like the league is just letting everyone know that a standard review is protocol.

NFL basically exonerating the Patriots of any blame, naturally:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000525883/article/league-reacts-to-steelerspatriots-headset-controversy

NFL statement on Steelers-Pats headset controversy

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was clearly unhappy with what he described as an ongoing headset malfunction during Thursday night's season-opener, and suggested it was something that is "always the case" when he plays in Foxborough.

On Friday, the NFL released a statement regarding the matter, via NFL spokesman Michael Signora:

"Technological and stadium infrastructure issues of this type happen at many stadiums around the league and whenever there are issues of this nature, we do a thorough review."

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick also complained of headset issues as well, which were apparently exacerbated by the poor weather conditions. Signora mentioned this in a statement released on Thursday night, seeming to clear the Patriots of any blame in the matter.

With a second statement today, it sounds like the league is just letting everyone know that a standard review is protocol.

I could almost buy their excuses if the headsets went down.  But how or why would they get the radio broadcast because of weather?  And why should poor weather change anything, the equipment is indoors, not sitting in the rain shorting out? 

Belichick be Belichick-ing.

Exactly.  He's built up a program that has lots of little annoying things that add to trying to win.  He's going for the one thing isn't enough to change the game but taken together goes in some part to explaining how their home record is so amazingly lopsided.

Absolutely SPOT on!

"We can do anything we want here in Gillette Stadium, cause everyone is paid to keep their mouth shut"

You'll never win because all you have is hearsay!! We'll always win on appeal!

Gosh I hate that whole organization!

I said it before and I'll say it again. The Pats are the Pablo Escobar of the NFL. They live in a delusional untouchable fantasy. For a while people really began to think Pablo was never ever going to get caught. He would always be a step ahead and arrogantly flaunted his power to everyone. The guy built his own jail.

The Pats came out gangbusters last night. First they thumbed off the NFL and told them they can't have the pregame concert shows at Foxboro (I have this on good info from someone who works for the network), which is why they were in Cali. Then they turn the whole national program into their Super Bowl celebration, coming out to T-pain's "all I do is win". Exploding banners..... Etc. If you don't think that was a giant finger to the league and non NE fans I have a bridge to sell you. And then with the headsets, make no mistake they were sending a message that they can't be touched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly.  He's built up a program that has lots of little annoying things that add to trying to win.  He's going for the one thing isn't enough to change the game but taken together goes in some part to explaining how their home record is so amazingly lopsided.

Yep.  Like an impossible-number-of-standard-deviations-higher-than-the-mean kind of lopsided.

Archived