Short Summary

slats

Team looked bad against a bad team until the two minute drill in the first half. Way too conservative on the play calls on both sides of the ball. On the plus side, they adjusted accordingly. 

Tommy Bohannon is not a ball carrier. I'd like to see Stacy activated next week. Would've been a nice downhill option to close this game out in the second half. 

Positive thoughts out to Mauldin. A little funny that no one gives a crap about Cromartie's injury. 

Brandon Marshall is something this team has maybe never had. Just dominant. 

My biggest complaint about Rex was a lack of emphasis on taking the ball away. Game one under Bowles that doesn't seem to be a problem. Jets were all over the football, and that was the #1 difference in this game. 

This was the Browns. The Browns with their backup QB most of the game. They're not good. Next week we get the Colts team that Rex Ryan's Bills took apart. That'll be a better barometer as to where the team is at. Still, overall, tough not to be pleased. 

Team looked bad against a bad team until the two minute drill in the first half. Way too conservative on the play calls on both sides of the ball. On the plus side, they adjusted accordingly. 

Tommy Bohannon is not a ball carrier. I'd like to see Stacy activated next week. Would've been a nice downhill option to close this game out in the second half. 

Positive thoughts out to Mauldin. A little funny that no one gives a crap about Cromartie's injury. 

My biggest complaint about Rex was a lack of emphasis on taking the ball away. Game one under Bowles that doesn't seem to be a problem. Jets were all over the football, and that was the #1 difference in this game. 

This was the Browns. The Browns with their backup QB most of the game. They're not good. Next week we get the Colts team that Rex Ryan's Bills took apart. That'll be a better barometer as to where the team is at. Still, overall, tough not to be pleased. 

Great summary, I would like to add that yes it was the Browns with their backup QB and we should handily beat them.  Usually this is the type of game the Jets lose or squeak out a win.  The fact that we not only dominated the game, forced TOs but also scored on those opportunities.  Bowles has this team pretty well disciplined and coaches aggressively.  I like it, lets see how it looks next week with a good QB.

Cromartie's injury is something we see in the NFL weekly.

Mauldin being immobilized is different. 

Not belittling Mauldin's injury at all. If I was a prayer guy, I'd offer them. Hate to see that kind of thing. 

Just pointing out that Cromartie looked as if his season might be over, and no one seems to care. 

Not belittling Mauldin's injury at all. If I was a prayer guy, I'd offer them. Hate to see that kind of thing. 

Just pointing out that Cromartie looked as if his season might be over, and no one seems to care. 

I think you are wrong.

Anyway, Cro either tore his ACL, or didn't. We lose him, it ******* sucks. Mauldin could be paralyzed or something awful like that, it's more concerning than a 'next man up' injury, so people are obviously a bit more verbally concerned.

Doesnt mean nobody cares about Cro.

I agree on looking bad vs. a bad team, but the result speaks for itself.  it was definitely frustrating early -  I was remind of herm's run, run, pass, punt in the 1st quarter.   

Maybe Bowles knew he had the better team and didn't want to make a big mistake early.   It certainly looked that way as the game went on.   

Brandon Marshall is a man's man on the football field.  Total beast that we haven't seen since maybe Keyshaun.   

Fitz isn't bad, but isn't good either.    This team can play and hopefully builds confidence and momentum as the season progresses.  There is definite talent on both sides of the ball but the QB is suspect.   31-10 is hard to complain about but it was definitely ugly early.  

Couldn't get a good feed on my laptop, was forced to listen to it. How'd Gilchrist/Leonard/Colon/anyone else of note, play?

IMO Gilchrist sucked. Every ball thrown his way was caught. OL - A+ all game. Only screwup was the error on the snap to Fitz and I think 1 holding penalty. Even Pryor played well, like 10 tackles.

I think the first half story could also have been very different if not for two non-turnovers by our offense.  The Marshall strip on the int PLAY and the Fitzpatrick recovery on the missed snap.  In both cases it looked all but certain we would be turning the ball over but escaped both times. 

Tough to get a read on most opening games but this one, defensively at least,  is particularly tough. Especially with Manziel being so bad. Not sure if it just took us a while to get going or if McCown's injury just killed them but it was night and day after Cro got beaten long. 

There's a lot to like offensively. Nice balance there and the passing game will be the best it's been for a long while. Fitz brings some stability to the QB position and the WR's are a huge force. Ivory is still a beast and the running game looks on point. If the D can play up to it's billing like it eventually did today then we'll have a very good team. 

My two cents:

1. Red Zone efficiency (4 of 6) = no comparison vs. Rex "afraid to lose" FG mentality last year

2. Penalties only 4-30. Hat tip to Colon and Breno

3. I still don't know how Fitz came up with that fumbled shot gun snap

4. We still can't cover TE's 

Yeah, we beat a bad team, but hey that is the team we were picked to play.  Yeah it is way too early to see what kind of team we have and we won't know how good we can be until we play a better team, but...

1. While Cleveland sucks, half of the national analysts had us loosing - a win is a win

2. We scored 31 points - when is the last time we did that? Also, we were inside the 15 with 2 minutes to go - if we were the Pats, we would have padded the score (or if the game was close)

3. We shut them down in the second half, adjusted both sides of the ball in the second half and finished the game strong.  Last year, we would be the team giving up the score late in the second half.  How many times last year do we play tough in the first half and then let the game slip away - they finished string.

4. We beat them by 3 TDs; when was the last time that happened? (again could have been 4 if we needed it); yeah Cleveland sucks, but 3 TDs.  Last year, we were the team that got beaten by 3 TDs

5. Sure we beat a back-up QB, but why is that? We played hard, and that play when he was knocked out of the game, he was hit hard, clean, and we caused a fumble; we played tough.

6. 5 turnovers.  When have we done that before?  How many games last year did it take to get to the total for the year.  This team is aggressive and play hard and smart.  Marshall beasted after the Fitz int.

7. 4 Penalties in the game; we had players (still on the team) getting that on their own last year.

8. The team with a first time HC, with new OC, DC and new players started a season with limited practice (under CBA) a little soft and a little conservative.  Okay.

It is way too early to know what kind of team we have, but they played out the game and finished strong.  Who knows, next week can be a blowout; the season can be a blow out, but they started out strong with one of our best defensive players suspended.  Let's enjoy the win. :-)

Rex never stressed taking the ball away because he loved having  his D on the field.  You can only win the games you play.  Looking forward to running the ball down Indy's throat next week, and getting in Luck's face.  Looks like Hilton and maybe Gore will be out.  Bad OL and DL over there.

My two cents:

1. Red Zone efficiency (4 of 6) = no comparison vs. Rex "afraid to lose" FG mentality last year

#Rex 

They sucked in the red zone last year because they sucked on offense.  Rex is no offensive guru, but they didn't score because at best they were a one receiver offense.  Most games, when Decker was hurt or dinged,  zero receivers.  Having a big WR is a huge advantage.  They were fine in the red zone when they had Plaxico and he sucked. 

Biggest item of note to me is that the Browns couldn't run on them.  The Browns are a volume rushing team and got some yards out of the QBs, but their backs did NOTHING.  Their two longest rushes were by their QBs.  This was something Rex emphasized and may have overemphasized.  It is good to see that with Bowles switching some of the defensive priorities we did not lose the ability to stop the run.

All good points Slats ...I would like to add the usual disappointment in our Punt returner. Field position is so important that if Kerley is going to continue to be horrible and can't even get on the field with the regular offense its time to cut him and activate Powell who is also good in coverage.

Also pointing out our WR's blocking like monsters helping the running back get that extra yard or a few by taking defenders out of the mix.

As for coaching did anyone notice how many times we had 12 men on the field ?? That's right none ! In the Rex era that penalty was at least 2 times a game its the first thing I have noticed that makes a huge difference, 3 penalties all day = better coached football team. The only thing Rex has going for him is scheme the rest of his coaching resume loses games.

Great point on the turnovers ..teams need to swarm to create them and as the Jets become more and more familiar with this defense it get better and better.

As I stated in an earlier thread a few weeks ago this team is learning 2 new schemes and it seems they have a good grasp as I saw very few stupid mistakes. Once the schemes start to become second nature watch out ! A few breaks early in the season will go a long way to having a great year while we learn on the fly.

#Rex 

They sucked in the red zone last year because they sucked on offense.  Rex is no offensive guru, but they didn't score because at best they were a one receiver offense.  Most games, when Decker was hurt or dinged,  zero receivers.  Having a big WR is a huge advantage.  They were fine in the red zone when they had Plaxico and he sucked. 

My first reaction was this is BS but I did check and you are right that the Jets were tied for 6th in red zone efficiency in 2011 the year Burress played.  In the other years of the Rex era we were ranked 21st (2009), 23rd (2010), 22nd (2012), 26th (2013), and 30th (2014).  I put alot of this on the head coach and his belief that he could win by kicking field goals and having his defense control the game. That kind of thinking can mess with the heads of the entire team.

My first reaction was this is BS but I did check and you are right that the Jets were tied for 6th in red zone efficiency in 2011 the year Burress played.  In the other years of the Rex era we were ranked 21st (2009), 23rd (2010), 22nd (2012), 26th (2013), and 30th (2014).  I put alot of this on the head coach and his belief that he could win by kicking field goals and having his defense control the game. That kind of thinking can mess with the heads of the entire team.

You seem fired up on the TD to FG thing.  I am not sure of where you are getting your statistics or the relevance, but the stats I saw (https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct?date=2012-02-05) for TD only efficiency in 2011 they were 2nd to the Lions.  2009 they were 17th, 2010 28th, 2012 25th, 2013 27th and 2014 32nd. The offenses sucked, they were not likely to have good red zone efficiency.  I would imagine that a portion of their "success" in 2011 stemmed from a relatively small number of times they got to the red zone.

one thing I did like:  no wasted timeouts for 10 or 12 men on the field.  And no penalties for that either.

Biggest item of note to me is that the Browns couldn't run on them.  The Browns are a volume rushing team and got some yards out of the QBs, but their backs did NOTHING.  Their two longest rushes were by their QBs.  This was something Rex emphasized and may have overemphasized.  It is good to see that with Bowles switching some of the defensive priorities we did not lose the ability to stop the run.

Yep we heard about how good their OL was.  The pressure was good and the run D was strong.  Browns are not good, but what they are good at did not stop us.

My thoughts - I thought the Offense was the best we've seen in a while.  Unbelievable how much better the wideouts are this year.  Marshall played the way a number one should play.  The 2 minute drill at the end of the 1st half, don't think we've seen one of those since 2010.  Most surprising to me, and the numbers don't show it, was the pass opening up the run game.  Trouble running the ball early, the wideouts start making some plays, then the floodgates opened in the box. 

The defense started slow, but adjusted as needed.  We had some problems early with Manziel, but looks like they put up the old picket fence after the half and took him out of the game.  Marcus Williams plays nasty and aggressive, might be one of the few positives left over from Rex/Idzik.    I thought Revis had an off game, Pryor a solid game, Gilchrist so-so.

How good is Revis that yesterday would count as an off day, lol

He was facing the QB a ton.  I was telling everybody he was going to get a pick.  He never faced up that much under Rex.  I wonder if this is going to be a Bowles thing or if it was situation because it was a sh*t QB.  Being ahead also may lead to that keep them in front of you D.  It will be interesting to see going forward.

Archived