Jets snap counts vs. Browns

JustInFudge

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/09/chris_ivory_bilal_powell_a_two-headed_monster_jets.

EAST RUTHERFORD — Chris Ivory was his usual hard-charging self in the Jets' 31-10 winagainst the Browns on Sunday, rushing 20 times for 91 yards and two touchdowns. Ivory was everything the Jets had hoped he'd be.

A glance at the stat sheet indicates he wasn't alone, either: Veteran Bilal Powell also pounded out 62 yards on 12 carries. And the snap counts ended up being close to even: Ivory played 32 of the Jets' 61 offensive snaps (52 percent), while Powell was out there for 29 snaps (48 percent).

But those totals are a tad misleading.

Powell got plenty of run—and much of his production—in the fourth quarter, after Ivory's second touchdown with 10:38 remaining gave the Jets a three-touchdown lead to account for the final margin. After that, Powell got exactly half of his carries (six) and accounted for most of his yards (36) as the Jets more or less ran out the clock.

Powell was used mainly in the role he's played since the Jets drafted in the 2011 fourth round: as the change-of-pace back, both for third downs and as a receiving option; he was targeted four times and made two catches for 16 yards. He also picked up seven yards on a well-timed draw on a crucial 3-and-5 late in the first half. The Jets scored to take the lead on the next play. They never relinquished it.

PLUS: How being a former player influence Todd Bowles as a coach

• Zac Stacy, the Jets' third running back, was inactive, which made sense because the Jets can only dress 46 of their 53 players on game days. Head coach Todd Bowles explained that in addition to Ivory and Powell, fullback Tommy Bohanon was the "emergency" third back. Bohanon played 12 snaps (20 percent) and had two carries for two yards, but on one of those he was stopped for no gain on fourth-and-1.

• Wideout Jeremy Kerley played just one snap. More on that here.

• Nickel corner Buster Skrine was on the field a lot: 77 percent of the snaps.

• Tight ends Jeff Cumberland and Kellen Davis played just 28 and 19 snaps, respectively. Between the two of them, Davis was targeted once by quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Here is the complete snap count breakdown:

OFFENSE

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson 61 (100 percent)
RT Breno Giacomini 61 (100)
QB Ryan Fitzpatrick 61 (100)
C Nick Mangold 60 (98)
WR Brandon Marshall 60 (98)
RG Willie Colon 58 (95)
LG James Carpenter 58 (95)
WR Eric Decker 55 (90)
WR Chris Owusu 40 (66)
RB Chris Ivory 32 (52)
RB Bilal Powell 29 (48)
TE Jeff Cumberland 28 (46)
WR Quincy Enunwa 27 (44)
TE Kellen Davis 19 (31)
FB Tommy Bohanon 12 (20)
OL Brent Qvale 5 (8)
OL Brian Winters 3 (5)
WR Jeremy Kerley 1 (2)
C Dakota Dozier 1 (2)

DEFENSE

FS Marcus Gilchrist 71 (100)
ILB Demario Davis 71 (100)
CB Darrelle Revis 71 (100)
ILB David Harris 70 (99)
SS Calvin Pryor 64 (90)
CB Buster Skrine 55 (77)
OLB Quinton Coples 54 (76)
DE Muhammad Wilkerson 52 (73)
OLB Calvin Pace 52 (73)
DE Leonard Williams 69 (69)
NT Damon Harrison 32 (45)
CB Marcus Williams 30 (42)
CB Antonio Comartie 27 (38)
DE Leger Douzable 26 (37)
OLB Trevor Reilly 19 (27)
OLB Lorenzo Mauldin 11 (15)
NT T.J. Barnes 8 (11)
DE Stephen Bowen 8 (11)
ILB Erin Henderson 7 (10)
S Jaiquawn Jarrett 4 (6)

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/09/chris_ivory_bilal_powell_a_two-headed_monster_jets.

EAST RUTHERFORD — Chris Ivory was his usual hard-charging self in the Jets' 31-10 winagainst the Browns on Sunday, rushing 20 times for 91 yards and two touchdowns. Ivory was everything the Jets had hoped he'd be.

A glance at the stat sheet indicates he wasn't alone, either: Veteran Bilal Powell also pounded out 62 yards on 12 carries. And the snap counts ended up being close to even: Ivory played 32 of the Jets' 61 offensive snaps (52 percent), while Powell was out there for 29 snaps (48 percent).

But those totals are a tad misleading.

Powell got plenty of run—and much of his production—in the fourth quarter, after Ivory's second touchdown with 10:38 remaining gave the Jets a three-touchdown lead to account for the final margin. After that, Powell got exactly half of his carries (six) and accounted for most of his yards (36) as the Jets more or less ran out the clock.

Powell was used mainly in the role he's played since the Jets drafted in the 2011 fourth round: as the change-of-pace back, both for third downs and as a receiving option; he was targeted four times and made two catches for 16 yards. He also picked up seven yards on a well-timed draw on a crucial 3-and-5 late in the first half. The Jets scored to take the lead on the next play. They never relinquished it.

PLUS: How being a former player influence Todd Bowles as a coach

• Zac Stacy, the Jets' third running back, was inactive, which made sense because the Jets can only dress 46 of their 53 players on game days. Head coach Todd Bowles explained that in addition to Ivory and Powell, fullback Tommy Bohanon was the "emergency" third back. Bohanon played 12 snaps (20 percent) and had two carries for two yards, but on one of those he was stopped for no gain on fourth-and-1.

• Wideout Jeremy Kerley played just one snap. More on that here.

• Nickel corner Buster Skrine was on the field a lot: 77 percent of the snaps.

• Tight ends Jeff Cumberland and Kellen Davis played just 28 and 19 snaps, respectively. Between the two of them, Davis was targeted once by quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Here is the complete snap count breakdown:

OFFENSE

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson 61 (100 percent)
RT Breno Giacomini 61 (100)
QB Ryan Fitzpatrick 61 (100)
C Nick Mangold 60 (98)
WR Brandon Marshall 60 (98)
RG Willie Colon 58 (95)
LG James Carpenter 58 (95)
WR Eric Decker 55 (90)
WR Chris Owusu 40 (66)
RB Chris Ivory 32 (52)
RB Bilal Powell 29 (48)
TE Jeff Cumberland 28 (46)
WR Quincy Enunwa 27 (44)
TE Kellen Davis 19 (31)
FB Tommy Bohanon 12 (20)
OL Brent Qvale 5 (8)
OL Brian Winters 3 (5)
WR Jeremy Kerley 1 (2)
C Dakota Dozier 1 (2)

DEFENSE

FS Marcus Gilchrist 71 (100)
ILB Demario Davis 71 (100)
CB Darrelle Revis 71 (100)
ILB David Harris 70 (99)
SS Calvin Pryor 64 (90)
CB Buster Skrine 55 (77)
OLB Quinton Coples 54 (76)
DE Muhammad Wilkerson 52 (73)
OLB Calvin Pace 52 (73)
DE Leonard Williams 69 (69)
NT Damon Harrison 32 (45)
CB Marcus Williams 30 (42)
CB Antonio Comartie 27 (38)
DE Leger Douzable 26 (37)
OLB Trevor Reilly 19 (27)
OLB Lorenzo Mauldin 11 (15)
NT T.J. Barnes 8 (11)
DE Stephen Bowen 8 (11)
ILB Erin Henderson 7 (10)
S Jaiquawn Jarrett 4 (6)

Damn.  For being on the field for less than half the game we sure saw a lot from Marcus Williams.  

Well, I guess there really was something to this whole Kerley fiasco.  It surprises me because in the case that Marshall or Decker went down, who is next up?  Cleary they have enough confidence in Owusu and Enunwa.

I felt like I saw more of Pryor than Gilcrest but apparently not.  They must have been lining him as a corner in the slot or as the safety/LB hybrid because I know I saw Pryor playing center field in the 1 deep safety looks.  

And if Colon and Carpenter took a few plays off each, who was in for them? 

It's funny, but I think Kerley's one snap may have been the Owusu play that Villain gif'ed.  I think Marshall does an in from the left, The other 3 are right.  I think it is Enunwa running a short out from near TE.  I think Kerley is in the slot and runs a mid-range out.  Pretty sure that is #11.  He does a skip step, and it may be intended as a pick for the outside guy - Owusu who basically just ran deep.

Damn.  For being on the field for less than half the game we sure saw a lot from Marcus Williams.  

Right!  I thought the same thing.  Dude made the most out of his minutes.  I've been saying it for weeks now, he's a legit player.  I'd feel 100% comfortable with him at CB2 or guarding the slot.  Kid's got game. 

Looks like Winters and Qvale got some run.

One thing I noticed was there was almost always two LBs on the field. Probably because there were a ton of Browns TEs in passing downs. Against better teams, they'll probably go more dime with Williams or Walls or Jarrett, depending on how it goes.

Right!  I thought the same thing.  Dude made the most out of his minutes.  I've been saying it for weeks now, he's a legit player.  I'd feel 100% comfortable with him at CB2 or guarding the slot.  Kid's got game. 

Williams looked good, but we saw him so much because they were going after him.  Some of that might just be the reputation of Revis.

One thing I noticed was there was almost always two LBs on the field. Probably because there were a ton of Browns TEs in passing downs. Against better teams, they'll probably go more dime with Williams or Walls or Jarrett, depending on how it goes.

Dozier got a snap too.  I know that I read Qvale's snaps were al on the goalline when Brick was declared eligible. 

Williams looked good, but we saw him so much because they were going after him.  Some of that might just be the reputation of Revis.

Dozier got a snap too.  I know that I read Qvale's snaps were al on the goalline when Brick was declared eligible. 

Dozier's snap came on Mangold's injury for one play, I believe.

And they did go after Williams immediately. He gave up a couple completions early for first downs, but tightened up down the stretch with the pick.

Well, I guess there really was something to this whole Kerley fiasco.  It surprises me because in the case that Marshall or Decker went down, who is next up?  Cleary they have enough confidence in Owusu and Enunwa.

Yes, I imagine it would have been Enunwa so that Owusu could stay in that H-Back role.  With Devin Smith coming back soon, he'll be our strongest candidate to take Decker or Marshall's spot via injury.  Kerley is just getting completely phased out.

Missed that on the snap counts...you're right.  

And I think the LB'ers had to do with Manziel.  Looked like they were playing a bit cautious of his running ability.

Yes, I imagine it would have been Enunwa so that Owusu could stay in that H-Back role.  With Devin Smith coming back soon, he'll be our strongest candidate to take Decker or Marshall's spot via injury.  Kerley is just getting completely phased out.

Seems like it.  On the surface, it seems a little foolish to be phasing out a veteran WR who has some big catch ability for guys that havent proven themselves (especially in the face on injury which might be why they havent cut him all together).  However, this system seems very WR friendly...its weird but there were routes designed to get people open and give the QB easy looks.  

Seems like it.  On the surface, it seems a little foolish to be phasing out a veteran WR who has some big catch ability for guys that havent proven themselves (especially in the face on injury which might be why they havent cut him all together).  However, this system seems very WR friendly...its weird but there were routes designed to get people open and give the QB easy looks.  

It's probably not merely a football-related reason.  Pure speculation here, but perhaps Kerley felt his spot as a starting WR was secure based on his contract from the previous regime.  We know he expressed frustration, so the fact that he apparently isn't a great fit for Gailey's system AND he may not have had the best attitude about his demotion made him basically a lame duck. 

Again, still speculating, but if he had been more of a "good soldier" about it he still might have a role, albeit a significantly diminished one from years past.  Then again, it was just Week 1, so maybe his role will increase over the course of the season.  Who knows.

Idzik's best move and pure luck on his part. 

It's probably not merely a football-related reason.  Pure speculation here, but perhaps Kerley felt his spot as a starting WR was secure based on his contract from the previous regime.  We know he expressed frustration, so the fact that he apparently isn't a great fit for Gailey's system AND he may not have had the best attitude about his demotion made him basically a lame duck. 

Again, still speculating, but if he had been more of a "good soldier" about it he still might have a role, albeit a significantly diminished one from years past.  Then again, it was just Week 1, so maybe his role will increase over the course of the season.  Who knows.

I think it is merely a football-related reason.  First of all, Kerley is coming off a concussion.  Owusu go this earlier and came back earlier.  Kerley may be back without being 100%.  He was out from before the Giants game.  Second, from what I have read, Gailey and Bowles want the WR to play all positions.  Kerley is basically slot only.  Something like 75% of his snaps have been in the slot and he may be slower at picking up the outside stuff.  For that reason they may be more likely to want Owusu and Smith around.  A few of us thought that Gailey would like a jitterbug RB or slot WR, but it seems he may want a bunch of bigger guys that he can mix and match by moving them around in the alignment.  Kerley fits that worst.

Williams has looked very good.  He was an excellent FCS player, but not very fast.  If you watch him, he tends to play like a cover-2 CB.  Facing the ball.  Reading about him in college it seems, like the guys at 'Bama, he wasn't asked to backpedal.  That may be an issue at times, but he has general looked good and he can hit. He is not the biggest or the fastest, but he is at least adequate and he certainly competes.

I think it is merely a football-related reason.  First of all, Kerley is coming off a concussion.  Owusu go this earlier and came back earlier.  Kerley may be back without being 100%.  He was out from before the Giants game.  Second, from what I have read, Gailey and Bowles want the WR to play all positions.  Kerley is basically slot only.  Something like 75% of his snaps have been in the slot and he may be slower at picking up the outside stuff.  For that reason they may be more likely to want Owusu and Smith around.  A few of us thought that Gailey would like a jitterbug RB or slot WR, but it seems he may want a bunch of bigger guys that he can mix and match by moving them around in the alignment.  Kerley fits that worst.

Williams has looked very good.  He was an excellent FCS player, but not very fast.  If you watch him, he tends to play like a cover-2 CB.  Facing the ball.  Reading about him in college it seems, like the guys at 'Bama, he wasn't asked to backpedal.  That may be an issue at times, but he has general looked good and he can hit. He is not the biggest or the fastest, but he is at least adequate and he certainly competes.

I'd love to know what Mac thought of him since he was with the Texans FO when they dumped him.

I think that's fair.  I would have thought in a short passing game like we seem to be running that a shifty little sure handed receiver would be a nice little asset.  

Possibly with Millier, Richardson, Geno and Amaro not on the field...possibly.  Hey, at least Pryor played well! 

I'd love to know what Mac thought of him since he was with the Texans FO when they dumped him.

I imagine he liked him. plenty  They brought him in as an UDFA after the draft and held on through final cuts.  They had him on their practice squad, though he was cut from the practice squad before the Jets signed him.  Texans were pretty solid at CB going into last year with Jonathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson.  They had McCain in the slot coming off and injury and  actually ended up cutting their former 2nd round pick Brandon Harris at the same time.  That's a guy they had traded up for.  From what I can tell, they re-signed an UDFA K (Chris Boswell, the guy that was in Giants camp this year) that they had in camp and they had also used him to punt.  Lechter was injured, so they brought Boswell back in and cut Williams.  Seems like just a numbers game.

I think that's fair.  I would have thought in a short passing game like we seem to be running that a shifty little sure handed receiver would be a nice little asset.  

Possibly with Millier, Richardson, Geno and Amaro not on the field...possibly.  Hey, at least Pryor played well! 

In fairness...Idzik's acquisitions came up huge on opening day.  Pryor played well, Ivory and Decker scored 3 TD's, Reilly had a strip-sack...then Owusu and Williams looked good but again, those guys were brought in because the positions they play were so grossly neglected and they were brought in after many others had failed....those guys were here by attrition IMO.  The others?  Hey, they did alright.

Still glad he's gone though.

In fairness...Idzik's acquisitions came up huge on opening day.  Pryor played well, Ivory and Decker scored 3 TD's, Reilly had a strip-sack...then Owusu and Williams looked good but again, those guys were brought in because the positions they play were so grossly neglected and they were brought in after many others had failed....those guys were here by attrition IMO.  The others?  Hey, they did alright.

Still glad he's gone though.

I'm not sure if it was one of the scouts that Idzik brought in, but I think there was someone with a Tampa Bay relationship that was credited with Owusu.  Owusu was with Tampa for a couple of years before we brought him in.  Idzik was with Tampa, but left in 2004.  I think it was one of his guys from that time that he brought in when he "cleaned house."  "Cleaned house means rearranged the chairs around Terry Bradway.  That is how I remember it, but I could be completely wrong.   Ben Obamanu was the WR Idzik was credited with bringing in.  A 30 year old coming off a 4 catch season with the Seahawks...  but the downfield blocking!

Idiziks only good moves: Marcus Williams, 7th round picks Trevor Reilly and Tommy Bohanan. 

Again, he did trade for Ivory and sign Decker.  Sheldon is a dummy, but he's too good to dismiss.

Jury still out on Enunwa and Dozier, Pryor, Amaro....and Geno.

I felt like I saw more of Pryor than Gilcrest but apparently not.  They must have been lining him as a corner in the slot or as the safety/LB hybrid because I know I saw Pryor playing center field in the 1 deep safety looks.  

I might be talking to myself...but interestingly enough about the Gilcrest vs. Pryor snaps...is that in those single deep safety looks, Pryor was playing center field and Gilcrest was the safety/LB playing in the box.  Interesting strategy considering we all viewed Pryor as the in the box guy.  Maybe because Gilcrest can cover a little better off the LOS?

Archived