Geno still "extremely" angry about punch

Furor Teutonicus

If a co-worker owes me $600, and he's an arrogant doosh who has cost my company wins yet continues to act like he walks on water, and he comes up and wags his finger in my face, he's getting his jaw broken.  He's lucky to get off with that.

Fire me, so be it.

Sounds either like internet tough guy talk or a really terrible career plan. 

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't care if he was acting like the biggest dick in the world (and he very well may've been), he had a reasonable expectation not to be physically assaulted in his workplace. The Jets fired IK, and rightly so. That's what would happen in most work places. 

This isn't just your opinion this is the law.

Unless Geno threatened IK in some manner, IK had no right under the law civil or criminal for throwing a punch and hitting Geno Smith.  Period.

Folks can hate on Geno all they want. 

I for one didn't want to draft a guy who was unfocused during NFL interviews and who threw a mini scene because he wasn't drafted higher due to his own poor behavior, or who was an immature jerk in the locker room.

But none of that justifies IK throwing a punch at Smith.

So if you committed to show up for some charity event for your co-worker and someone you know unfortunately passes away , your the JO for not showing up at the charity event. I would think your co-worker would understand the situation especially if he has the coin to foot the $600 bill. If your co-worker come on all aggressive to you about the money - how would you react. Again Geno should have paid him but we don't know all the facts on how it went down.

Get the facts straight all Geno had to do was call IK(He didn't) they had to call him to find out he wasn't coming. Had Geno done what he said he would do nothing ever would have happened.. It never would have happened to me becaue if I said I would return money to a teammate I wouldn't have waited to pay him I would have sent money to his paypal acct with extra dough for his charity.. I realize to some of you screwing a teammate out of even 600 seems to be a badge of honor. To me it's not.. It's not the money it's showing respect to a teammate Geno showed none,,

Unless Geno threatened IK in some manner, IK had no right under the law civil or criminal for throwing a punch and hitting Geno Smith.  Period.

I for one didn't want to draft a guy who was unfocused during NFL interviews and who threw a mini scene because he wasn't drafted higher due to his own poor behavior, or who was an immature jerk in the locker room.

Outside of a relatively small group of people nobody believes the punch was justified. IK deserves all the punishment that comes his way for attacking a coworker.

For the majority of us who attribute some blame in this situation to Geno it is because his behavior in stiffing a teammate on money and letting the situation devolve into a physical confrontation speaks poorly about his judgment, his ability to be a good teammate and his ability to be a good leader. All issues that relate to his presence on the team and nothing to do with justifying what anybody else did.

At least Geno had the good sense not to press charges against IK, or file some sort of foolish "workplace violence" grievance against the Jets.

I guarantee some of the folks posting above would have run crying to HR and lawyered up looking for a free payday.

Good grief.

I agree with that CB but the way times are with some people why push it?? Tell me CB would you go into certain neighborhoods with a sign that said;All Lives Matter?? :)  Now if you happened to get beat up most would say you were asking for trouble.. To me Geno being a dick to IK wasn't the smartest thing to do..

Outside of a relatively small group of people nobody believes the punch was justified. IK deserves all the punishment that comes his way for attacking a coworker.

For the majority of us who attribute some blame in this situation to Geno it is because his behavior in stiffing a teammate on money and letting the situation devolve into a physical confrontation speaks poorly about his judgment, his ability to be a good teammate and his ability to be a good leader. All issues that relate to his presence on the team and nothing to do with justifying what anybody else did.

Good Answer....

Your a thinking man...

The pussification of America continues.

Good grief. 

Yes, 'Murica would be a better place if all arguments were settled with violence. Much more masculine. 

Get the facts straight all Geno had to do was call IK(He didn't) they had to call him to find out he wasn't coming. Had Geno done what he said he would do nothing ever would have happened.. It never would have happened to me becaue if I said I would return money to a teammate I wouldn't have waited to pay him I would have sent money to his paypal acct with extra dough for his charity.. I realize to some of you screwing a teammate out of even 600 seems to be a badge of honor. To me it's not.. It's not the money it's showing respect to a teammate Geno showed none,,

Exactly zero people here have even suggested such a thing. Cute straw-man, though. 

Yes, 'Murica would be a better place if all arguments were settled with violence. Much more masculine. 

Exactly zero people here have even suggested such a thing. Cute straw-man, though. 

What some have said was IK shouldn't have been upset over 600 bucks.. My point was besides the money it was the lack of respect that Geno showed him.. You didn't address that..

I agree with that CB but the way times are with some people why push it?? Tell me CB would you go into certain neighborhoods with a sign that said;All Lives Matter?? :)  Now if you happened to get beat up most would say you were asking for trouble.. To me Geno being a dick to IK wasn't the smartest thing to do..

My friend I teach folks the same age as Geno and I find it amazing that they are as balanced as they are.  No way in the world do I do things deliberately to antagonize anyone.  That is just stupid.

Yes I know better....

Yes Geno is stupid and stupid folks often get their jaws broke and I don't forget what you posted about that guy ambushing you. 

I know that you do dumb things you get your butt kicked, why cry about it.  I am old school so I understand.

I really was just trying to balance out those that said Geno needed this and it was somehow his fault in essence alone.

I for one wanted us NEVER to draft him!!

I said bad character guys should never be used as QBs ever but folks disliked Sanchez so much they said so what....

Now it is what it is....

What some have said was IK shouldn't have been upset over 600 bucks.. My point was besides the money it was the lack of respect that Geno showed him.. You didn't address that..

I do not dismiss Geno's role in the altercation, but you'd have to direct me to posts saying that IK "shouldn't have been upset about 600 bucks." I agree there's a lack of respect involved. I've said that Geno was quite possibly acting like the biggest dick in the world in this thread (and have made similar comments since the incident first happened). None of that justifies a punch in the face at work. Something you and others seem to be perfectly okay with. 

Again put yourself in his shoes . Someone you know has died , your not worrying about some charity event . Again your speculating on what transpired ,IK could have been calling Geno repeatedly and being an azz about it while Geno was mourning his friend. Its easy to speculate that Geno was the one to not show respect but  you can't fathom maybe IK wasn't showing any respect. Funny how the "absolutes" of stories work to fit your agendas. 

My friend I teach folks the same age as Geno and I find it amazing that they are as balanced as they are.  No way in the world do I do things deliberately to antagonize anyone.  That is just stupid.

Yes I know better....

Yes Geno is stupid and stupid folks often get their jaws broke and I don't forget what you posted about that guy ambushing you. 

I know that you do dumb things you get your butt kicked, why cry about it.  I am old school so I understand.

I really was just trying to balance out those that said Geno needed this and it was somehow his fault in essence alone.

I for one wanted us NEVER to draft him!!

I said bad character guys should never be used as QBs ever but folks disliked Sanchez so much they said so what....

Now it is what it is....

Well CB when your right your right..:)

So, @john461167, what exactly is this pussification you speak of? And what's the solution? I was only going by your neg rep on the the couple posts before your reply. Please, enlighten! I love being enlightened! 

The idea that a man can walk up to another, wave his finger in his face and say whatever he wants with no fear of physical repercussions due to some HR rules is part of the pussification that I speak of.  If you, or anyone else, thinks that your HR department should step in and help you when get in someone's face and they punch you, then you have already been pussified.

The solution:  Stay out of people's faces.  Especially when you owe them money.

There....feel enlightened?

Go call your HR representative and see if she can help you.

The idea that a man can walk up to another, wave his finger in his face and say whatever he wants with no fear of physical repercussions due to some HR rules is part of the pussification that I speak of.  If you, or anyone else, thinks that your HR department should step in and help you when get in someone's face and they punch you, then you have already been pussified.

The alleged finger waving is speculation, not fact. Even if were true, IK was in wrong when he thru the punch. If the HR department couldn't help in such a situation, law enforcement could. IK is fortunate that Geno didn't press charges. 

If you think throwing punches at finger wavers makes the country a better place, I really don't know what to tell you. 

The alleged finger waving is speculation, not fact. Even if were true, IK was in wrong when he thru the punch. If the HR department couldn't help in such a situation, law enforcement could. IK is fortunate that Geno didn't press charges. 

If you think throwing punches at finger wavers makes the country a better place, I really don't know what to tell you. 

I understand what he means though the PC crowd wants the country to be pussified.. The days of John Wayne have been long gone.. I don't condone IK hitting him and I don't condone Geno acting like a dick.. When I was a kid and or in my 20's you get in some ones face more likely then not your getting hit..

I understand what he means though the PC crowd wants the country to be pussified.. The days of John Wayne have been long gone.. I don't condone IK hitting him and I don't condone Geno acting like a dick.. When I was a kid and or in my 20's you get in some ones face more likely then not your getting hit..

if you wanna talk about the PC crowd and words or phrases, knock yourself out (but please not here, as we discourage such posts). But actually knocking someone out is -and should be- an entirely different story. 

It doesn't matter if you are a bus boy or a CEO, if you instigate or participate in a fight in your place of work you are going to get canned. It doesn't matter if it was 1969, you break Joe Namath's jaw and you are gone.

The solution is they should both go.

Geno apparently instigated the fight and IK ended it. I don't particularly blame IK, the way Geno acted was completely insulting and it seems like he deserved what he got.. but you cannot start breaking your teammates jaws, never mind the starting quarterback! This is a professional football team and they are expected to act like professionals. IK is already gone and I really expect Geno to be finished as a Jet come the end of the season.

if you wanna talk about the PC crowd and words or phrases, knock yourself out (but please not here, as we discourage such posts). But actually knocking someone out is -and should be- an entirely different story. 

So you can't use certain phrases here?? Wow this place has really changed it makes me miss the more open JI of old.. :rolleyes:

So you can't use certain phrases here?? Wow this place has really changed it makes me miss the more open JI of old.. :rolleyes:

Blech, just stop. Phrase away. But the idea that "the PC crowd" are alone in their stance against workplace violence is ridiculous. Pretty sure the "law and order crowd" has a similar opinion. No matter how far in the wrong Geno might've been, the punch wasn't justified. 

Just don't want to see a politically correct conversation get started here. This isn't the place. 

Blech, just stop. Phrase away. But the idea that "the PC crowd" are alone in their stance against workplace violence is ridiculous. Pretty sure the "law and order crowd" has a similar opinion. No matter how far in the wrong Geno might've been, the punch wasn't justified

Just don't want to see a politically correct conversation get started here. This isn't the place. 

You are right.  Under no circumstances was the punch justified.  That is NOT the issue, however.  If you act like a dick, although unjustified, it should have been expected.  And if it was expected, it should have been defused before it came to that.

Problem is, the gangsta in Geno felt that he would lose "street cred" by not "standing his ground".  Instead, he was layed out on the ground.

You are right.  Under no circumstances was the punch justified.  That is NOT the issue, however.  If you act like a dick, although unjustified, it should have been expected.  And if it was expected, it should have been defused before it came to that.

Problem is, the gangsta in Geno felt that he would lose "street cred" by not "standing his ground".  Instead, he was layed out on the ground.

Disagree. The fact that it was completely unjustified also makes it completely unexpected. Also don't think there's much, if any, "gangsta" in Geno. 

He handled it poorly, no doubt about it. No excuse for it to end in a jaw-breaking blow, though. 

You're right, you don't know what to tell me.  You have no clue what to tell me.

You are apparently of the belief the slugging someone in the jaw is never justified, ever.  Especially in the workplace.  Correct?

You're right, you don't know what to tell me.  You have no clue what to tell me.

You are apparently of the belief the slugging someone in the jaw is never justified, ever.  Especially in the workplace.  Correct?

I know to tell you that, yes, that is correct - short of being physically threatened, there is no justification for initiating violence in the workplace. None. And an alleged wag of the finger doesn't qualify. 

I always get the urge when Im at Mickey D's and they ask me, "would you like fries with that?"  Just take a freacking look at me stupid....of ourse I want fries with that...boom!!!

Forget straw men 101, I am a fan of the false dichotomy arguments being tossed around in here.

Either you were in the room and saw what happened (nobody was) or you cannot challenge the sucker punch narrative. 

Either you are in favor of the right to conduct workplace assaults (nobody is) or Geno must have had no responsibility for what happened 

Forget straw men 101, I am a fan of the false dichotomy arguments being tossed around in here.

Either you were in the room and saw what happened (nobody was) or you cannot challenge the sucker punch narrative. 

Either you are in favor of the right to conduct workplace assaults (nobody is) or Geno must have had no responsibility for what happened 

Geno had a role, and he handled his role poorly. I've said so many times, so I'm confident that I'm not your strawman here. However, short of physically threatening IK himself, there's no justification for IK's fist to Geno's face. 

Disagree. The fact that it was completely unjustified also makes it completely unexpected. Also don't think there's much, if any, "gangsta" in Geno. 

He handled it poorly, no doubt about it. No excuse for it to end in a jaw-breaking blow, though. 

This is where you are going wrong.  In Mr Roger's world that may be true, but in the real world, unjustified and unexpected are  not synonymous.  Especially in a locker room.

This is where you are going wrong.  In Mr Roger's world that may be true, but in the real world, unjustified and unexpected are  not synonymous.  Especially in a locker room.

Mr. Roger's awesomeness aside, unjustified (when it comes to violence) does, in fact, equal unexpected. Even in a locker room. Have you ever heard of a player breaking another player's face in a locker room before? Because I haven't. If you have, I think I'd need to to cite a number of examples before I believed it was something that could actually be expected. 

A dark alley might be another matter,  but this was their workplace. 

I know to tell you that, yes, that is correct - short of being physically threatened, there is no justification for initiating violence in the workplace. None. And an alleged wag of the finger doesn't qualify. 

What if I call your wife a whore, wave my finger in your face and tell you there is nothing you can do about it?  You go call HR

What if you bring your daughter to work and I "take her aside" for a few minutes.  Then laugh in your face.  Still calling HR?

There are times when someone deserves a punch in the jaw.  Or, worse.

But, under your rules it's never justified.

OK, carry on.

Archived