Jump to content

Classic Clips


nyjunc
 Share

Recommended Posts

The game Dennis Byrd was paralyzed.  I remember this moment vividly, it was only a year earlier Lions OL Mike Utley was paralyzed and from that moment on every time I saw a player down I always tried to see if they were moving.  I didn't see Dennis moving.  They drove him off the field while the next play was starting and I watched him the whole way.  Just a sad day in Jets history.

1992 vs Kansas City

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every NYJ home playoff game since 1980:

1981
Lost Wild Card playoffs (Bills) 31–27    
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIhvR9GcSRI

1985
Lost Wild Card playoffs (Patriots) 26–14    
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC3h9JKlcKE

1986
Won Wild Card playoffs (Chiefs) 35–15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL18yFBnv-4

1998
Won Divisional playoffs (Jaguars) 34–24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Ocgj9e0Js

2002
Won Wild Card playoffs (Colts) 41–0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2HJQMcaBC4
 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Every NYJ home playoff game since 1980:

1981
Lost Wild Card playoffs (Bills) 31–27    
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIhvR9GcSRI

1985
Lost Wild Card playoffs (Patriots) 26–14    
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC3h9JKlcKE

1986
Won Wild Card playoffs (Chiefs) 35–15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL18yFBnv-4

1998
Won Divisional playoffs (Jaguars) 34–24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Ocgj9e0Js

2002
Won Wild Card playoffs (Colts) 41–0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2HJQMcaBC4
 

We also would have accepted "Every NYJ home playoff game since 1969"

As a franchise, the Jets must have the absolute worst ratio of home playoff games vs total playoff games than any other team. Our last 10 playoff games have all been on the road.  TEN.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, y2k8 said:

We also would have accepted "Every NYJ home playoff game since 1969"

As a franchise, the Jets must have the absolute worst ratio of home playoff games vs total playoff games than any other team. Our last 10 playoff games have all been on the road.  TEN.

Holy cr-p, that didn't even occur to me!  That means we've only had 1 home game in the divisional round of the playoffs since we won the Superbowl in 1969.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/1/2020 at 12:52 PM, y2k8 said:

We also would have accepted "Every NYJ home playoff game since 1969"

As a franchise, the Jets must have the absolute worst ratio of home playoff games vs total playoff games than any other team. Our last 10 playoff games have all been on the road.  TEN.

To be fair we had our best stretch in franchise history in the middle of the Brady dynasty so home games weren't really available.  Starting in 02 WC teams couldn't host in the WC round and outside of 02 we were a WC team every other postseason since though we almost hosted the 2009 AFC championship game- if Baltimore would have beat the colts in the divisional round we would have hosted them the next week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

To be fair we had our best stretch in franchise history in the middle of the Brady dynasty so home games weren't really available.  Starting in 02 WC teams couldn't host in the WC round and outside of 02 we were a WC team every other postseason since though we almost hosted the 2009 AFC championship game- if Baltimore would have beat the colts in the divisional round we would have hosted them the next week.

That's right. 3 of the 5 games we hosted were WC games.  Otherwise it would have only been 2 home playoff games since 69 - with one div champion being a 9-7 team.  

Any way you want to slice it, it's pretty pathetic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Maybe the most boring game in Jets history.  At Washington 1993.

 

 

I was at this game. I sat in the 5th row in the end zone Louis Aguiar had the ball snapped off his head. The wind was brutal and the metal bleacher seats were like ice.

It was easily the worst played game I ever witnessed.  The Jets won but anyone there that day lost.

Despite coming off a brutal 9-6 loss at home to the putrid Colts the week before, with the win the Jets record was 8-5 and they were in control of their playoff destiny.

Of course as typical of that era, the Jets went 0-3, finished the season 8-8 and missed the playoffs by one game.  This includes the final week of the season vs Houston when the Oilers sat all the starters and we still got drubbed by Cody Freakin Carlson 24-0.

A brutal time to be a Jets fan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, y2k8 said:

I was at this game. I sat in the 5th row in the end zone Louis Aguiar had the ball snapped off his head. The wind was brutal and the metal bleacher seats were like ice.

It was easily the worst played game I ever witnessed.  The Jets won but anyone there that day lost.

Despite coming off a brutal 9-6 loss at home to the putrid Colts the week before, with the win the Jets record was 8-5 and they were in control of their playoff destiny.

Of course as typical of that era, the Jets went 0-3, finished the season 8-8 and missed the playoffs by one game.  This includes the final week of the season vs Houston when the Oilers sat all the starters and we still got drubbed by Cody Freakin Carlson 24-0.

A brutal time to be a Jets fan.

In the last 6 games they scored:

6(won)

6

3(won)

14

0

 

Pretty explosive offense.

The last game they faced Houston backups and still didn't show up after NE upset Miami earlier that day to make it a win and in game 🤮

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

In the last 6 games they scored:

6(won)

6

3(won)

14

0

 

Pretty explosive offense.

The last game they faced Houston backups and still didn't show up after NE upset Miami earlier that day to make it a win and in game 🤮

That was a frustrating year they finished 8-8, but blew games against the Eagles, Raiders and Colts. 

What really pissed me off also was that everything broke right for them to make the playoffs after they lost that heartbreaker to the Bills in the 2nd to last week of the season. Miami lost Monday night to the Chargers and then lost in OT to the Patriots on the final week of the regular season. This allowed the Jets to control their own destiny against an Oiler team on Sunday Night Football that had nothing to play for. They didn't even play Moon at QB. Embarrassingly, the Jets looked lost and unprepared for the game. I was so pissed off!!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I wonder what happens post 82 if they don't fire him?

That was the turning point in NYJ history. Walt Micheals did a hell of a job.  He took over possibly the worst roster in the NFL in 1977 and patiently built it up through the draft reaching the AFC Title game in the 1982 season.  He then gets fired for non-football related issues and the same team under Walton drops to 7-9 in 1983.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brutal MNF loss.  The "fun" starts at 2:17:26 with Al Michaels' prophetic line.

Interesting stat too:

image.png.b5ae1301652394556dfe92028e94595d.png

This game was crazier than I remembered.  Cap Boso wearing some turf on his helmet (I don't want to give away the details of this play in case others have forgotten too).

image.png.17ef6446bc998ce4cca51942d562c7e3.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2020 at 8:59 PM, y2k8 said:

I was at this game. I sat in the 5th row in the end zone Louis Aguiar had the ball snapped off his head. The wind was brutal and the metal bleacher seats were like ice.

It was easily the worst played game I ever witnessed.  The Jets won but anyone there that day lost.

Despite coming off a brutal 9-6 loss at home to the putrid Colts the week before, with the win the Jets record was 8-5 and they were in control of their playoff destiny.

Of course as typical of that era, the Jets went 0-3, finished the season 8-8 and missed the playoffs by one game.  This includes the final week of the season vs Houston when the Oilers sat all the starters and we still got drubbed by Cody Freakin Carlson 24-0.

A brutal time to be a Jets fan.

you mean it's different now? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Browning Nagle week 1 vs Falcons in 1992 (1st half)

 

I always felt that this team was about to have a big year

we went 8-8 the year before, which was really good for us in that era

drafted Johnny Mitchell

and then they benched O’Brien

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I always felt that this team was about to have a big year

we went 8-8 the year before, which was really good for us in that era

drafted Johnny Mitchell

and then they benched O’Brien

So did I.  I had high hopes for Nagle.  I remember he had a great Bowl game (I think for FSU) and he threw for 366 yards in this game vs the Falcons. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gibby said:

Yep!

Also remember hearing Falcon db saying how the ball whistles in the air when Nagle throws it. He was going to be the savior ( for about 7 seconds- until the next week when he fell flat on his face vs the Rams

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I always felt that this team was about to have a big year

we went 8-8 the year before, which was really good for us in that era

drafted Johnny Mitchell

and then they benched O’Brien

That was the plan.  Ken was not very good at that stage of his career, Coslet hated him and handed the job to nagle who wasn't ready and wasn't ever going to be ready.

1992 is the worst year I can ever remember, even worse than 3-13 '95 or 1-15 '96 because we had high hopes.

-Year before they made the playoffs in year 2 of the Coslet era

-the playoffs were the expectation in 1992 with a young QB that was supposed to lead the franchise back to prominence (I remember the TV commercial for the game on NBC that week- "Broadway Browning Nagle leads the Jets into Atlanta")

-went 5-0 in preseason (played HOF game that year)

-week 2 Lageman goes down for the year

-season is over by week 4

-Al Toon is forced to retire

-Dennis Byrd is paralyzed and never plays again.

 

Just an awful, awful year but this particular game gave us hope.  Even losing they came back from a big deficit on the road and had a chance with a young QB who put up big numbers.  Unfortunately that was the height of the Nagle era

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...