Classic Clips

nyjunc

Jets Vs Raiders 1995 Sunday Night Football

This is perhaps the most embarrassing game in Jets history.  They Jets got humiliated on national TV and the stadium (Jets and raiders fans) started chanting "let's go Raiders".  This was the game Vance Joseph was on Tim Brown.  

On 6/4/2020 at 12:21 PM, nyjunc said:

This is perhaps the most embarrassing game in Jets history.  They Jets got humiliated on national TV and the stadium (Jets and raiders fans) started chanting "let's go Raiders".  This was the game Vance Joseph was on Tim Brown.  

The low ebb of the Kotite era, if that's even possible.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

No matter how bad the Jets were they always seemed to play well against Miami.  This game was October 22, 1995.  Our next home win after this one would come on September 21, 1997.

Vance Joseph as a rookie picking off Bernie Kosar to seal this game.  Could've fooled me with every part of that.

• Haha 1

Richard Todd picked a bad day to have the worst game of his career.

I forgot the first Miami TD would not have been scored if not for Andre Franklin being ruled down on the Gastineau fumble recovery.  That was a BS call. Could have changed everything.  Oh well

1 minute ago, y2k8 said:

Richard Todd picked a bad day to have the worst game of his career.

I forgot the first Miami TD would not have been scored if not for Andre Franklin being ruled down on the Gastineau fumble recovery.  That was a BS call. Could have changed everything.  Oh well

That blown fumble call was huge, the Jets would have had it at midfield.  They couldn't score all game but the blown call led to Miami's only offensive TD.  That was a game changing call.

In Todd's 2 playoff losses he threw a total of NINE INTs.  That's pretty incredible.

34 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

That blown fumble call was huge, the Jets would have had it at midfield.  They couldn't score all game but the blown call led to Miami's only offensive TD.  That was a game changing call.

In Todd's 2 playoff losses he threw a total of NINE INTs.  That's pretty incredible.

I take solace in the fact that 1. the Jets offense never got near the endzone and 2. even if they did, Pat Leahy would have missed a FG from any distance that day.  This was the "how is he still the kicker?" phase of his career. He only became decent when they moved to Giants Stadium.

Of course, the real villain is Don Shula who was responsible for the field conditions being a quagmire. 

17 hours ago, y2k8 said:

I take solace in the fact that 1. the Jets offense never got near the endzone and 2. even if they did, Pat Leahy would have missed a FG from any distance that day.  This was the "how is he still the kicker?" phase of his career. He only became decent when they moved to Giants Stadium.

Of course, the real villain is Don Shula who was responsible for the field conditions being a quagmire. 

Ha, I have been watching a lot of old games and Leahy is always missing chip shots or even PATs.

I don't blame Shula, they swept us on good fields and earned homefield. 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Ha, I have been watching a lot of old games and Leahy is always missing chip shots or even PATs.

I don't blame Shula, they swept us on good fields and earned homefield. 

If only Bobby Jackson doesn't drop that interception in Miami in the regular season! That game would have been played at Shea!

• Upvote 1

On 6/4/2020 at 12:21 PM, nyjunc said:

And I was there . OH THE PAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

And I was there . OH THE PAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So was I and I locked my keys in my car that night and was stuck for about an hour after the game waiting for help.  It was a rough night. ?

21 hours ago, nyjunc said:

1997 at Chicago

This is an interesting game to look at, looking back it was a cross roads type of game.  Glenn Foley had taken over the starting job, but Re-injured his knee in this game and was out rest of year.  This forced Neil O’Donnell back into the lineup.

The team played better with Foley and I think we would have gotten into the playoffs that year if he stayed healthy.

But would we still have signed Vinny that offseason to back him up coming off a playoff season?  Without Vinny there wouldn’t have been the amazing 98 season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob Moore said:

This is an interesting game to look at, looking back it was a cross roads type of game.  Glenn Foley had taken over the starting job, but Re-injured his knee in this game and was out rest of year.  This forced Neil O’Donnell back into the lineup.

The team played better with Foley and I think we would have gotten into the playoffs that year if he stayed healthy.

But would we still have signed Vinny that offseason to back him up coming off a playoff season?  Without Vinny there wouldn’t have been the amazing 98 season.

I agree, Parcells hated O'Donnell and in that Lions win and in game he allowed ray Lucas and Leon Johnson to attempt passes on trick plays.  The Leon one killed us with an int in the end zone (though if replay was around it would have been overturned).

I think he still signs Vinny, O'Donnell was fine either way and we needed a backup.  Remember, Vinny was signed to be Foley's backup.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Was this the game that led to Hess' speech or the game that was played after his speech?  IIRC, we won the game after his speech.

This was the game after he made the speech.  This was the Sunday after Thanksgiving and he always use to address the team I Thanksgiving I believe.

19 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

This 9 year run hasn’t been exactly fun......   Kotite was 2 years. 

I started following the team as a little kid in the 80s, this stretch has been the worst. The longest previous playoff drought for me was 6 years (1992-1997), currently it's 9 years.

On 6/12/2020 at 3:38 PM, JetsFanatic said:

Makes me nostalgic!

Disagree completely with this. As I recall when I first got my seasons tickets Section 26 Row J 1 & 2 in 1978 there was an very kind elderly man by the name of Conrad that sat in the section who every week would bring his megaphone ( think prototypical college cheerleaders in the 40’s and 50’s and in the winter would where his long woolly coat he was a truly wonderful person always upbeat and cheerful ) and would start the chant by yelling into megaphone  with Allright Allright Allright then go into    J E T S JETS JETS JETS. Then a short guy who had a helmet without a face mask picked up the chant and got  up on the railing and start the chant.  I think he was section 28 or 30. Then it started to become a competition where the closed end of the stadium would start then open end of stadium ( or vice versa) would reply louder as it would go back and forth all game long. Truly a fun time at Shea.