Classic Clips

nyjunc

On 9/17/2015 at 5:04 PM, nyjunc said:

1988 vs. NYG final drive

Oh man. Thanks for this. So many memories, O'Brien, Toon, McNeil, Schuler, Vick (great draft pick lol) etc... I remember that Toon catch for the TD,. 

Miss those uniforms too, that will always be the Jets uniform for me, watched them in it from 83-98

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, CTM said:

Oh man. Thanks for this. So many memories, O'Brien, Toon, McNeil, Schuler, Vick (great draft pick lol) etc... I remember that Toon catch for the TD,. 

Miss those uniforms too, that will always be the Jets uniform for me, watched them in it from 83-98

The 80's had to be the best time to be a Jets fan. There was no wondering who our quarterback was gonna be year to year because we had O'brien. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Colgateman said:

The 80's had to be the best time to be a Jets fan. There was no wondering who our quarterback was gonna be year to year because we had O'brien. 

Yeah, I started watching in 83, but really started following closely in 85 and 86. I remember choosing the jets over the giants because they threw the ball a lot more instead of a bunch of 3 yard runs with joe morris.  10-1 start to 86 is still the highlight of my Jets fandom.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CTM said:

Yeah, I started watching in 83, but really started following closely in 85 and 86. I remember choosing the jets over the giants because they threw the ball a lot more instead of a bunch of 3 yard runs with joe morris.  10-1 start to 86 is still the highlight of my Jets fandom.

I too, chose the Jets over Giants, I just hated Phil Simms for some odd reason

Now in hindsight I wish I chose the Giants, I would of enjoyed the 2007 and 2011 runs and Eli manning

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Colgateman said:

Now in hindsight I wish I chose the Giants, I would of enjoyed the 2007 and 2011 runs and Eli manning

Not to mention those bastards winning the SB in 86 after we looked like world beaters for 11 weeks.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CTM said:

I wish we'd wear the 80s throwbacks.  They were great, not as great when they added black in 1990.  I think our 80s uni's w/ the current darker green would be a great look.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, CTM said:

Not to mention those bastards winning the SB in 86 after we looked like world beaters for 11 weeks.

Yep, I still believe we would of beat the ******* Browns if we had been on our own field that game. and beat an imploding John Elway, and could of put up a fight in the SB. It is what it is though

2 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Yep, I still believe we would of beat the ******* Browns if we had been on our own field that game. and beat an imploding John Elway, and could of put up a fight in the SB. It is what it is though

we had our chance, up 10 w/ about 4 mins to play.  Unfortunately O'Brien was shot and once Ryan went down there went our season.

On May 12, 2016 at 4:05 PM, nyjunc said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/12/nfl-will-post-full-classic-games-on-youtube-under-renewed-partnership/

I wonder what the 3 Jet games will be?  I assume Super Bowl III, I would think the '68 AFL title game but apparently no known copies exist.  Let's look at some other possibilities(assuming these are playoff games):

'82 at Cincy 1st rd playoffs

'82 at LA 2nd rd playoffs

'98 div rd vs. jax

'02 WC vs. Ind

'04 WC at SD

'09 div rd at SD

'10 WC at Ind

'10 div rd at NE

86 jets Miami? 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

1977 raiders at Jets game of the week highlight

I'm only 9:45 in but the music and the announcer (Harry Kalas I believe) are outstanding.  Also check out the play at 9:38.  No flag on that one.  Would never happen like that today.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Colgateman said:

Wow, we have the same story.  I actually rooted for the GIants for a while but for some reason I preferred Scott Brunner as their QB.  When they chose Simms I gave up on them.  I also regret the decision - lol.  Would've been nice to win 4 SBs and play in a bunch more big games. I actually preferred AFC football back in the 80's (I enjoyed the matchups more) but the NFC was definitely the dominant conference.

• Upvote 1

this was not a fun ending but I believe this was the last time Summerall and Madden called a Jets game together.

1993 Eagles at Jets

there are a bunch more, you can find in the links on the right at youtube if you want the rest.

On 5/16/2016 at 4:11 PM, nyjunc said:

This one has been taken down a bunch of times so enjoy it while you can:

1982 1st rd playoff game Jets at Bengals

Good game, thanks for the post.

Not that there were too many 60" wide-screen tvs in '82, but damn that picture quality was bad back then.

Edit:  Was also cool following the SD vs Pitt game.  Surprised they had both games on at the same time.  Guess the NFL hadn't learned how to earn every penny possible yet.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Good game, thanks for the post.

Not that there were too many 60" wide-screen tvs in '82, but damn that picture quality was bad back then.

Edit:  Was also cool following the SD vs Pitt game.  Surprised they had both games on at the same time.  Guess the NFL hadn't learned how to earn every penny possible yet.

that was the strike year so I believe it was the top 8 teams in each conference made the playoffs, there weren't any byes.  8 games were played the first weekend, 4 the next and interestingly enough the title games were played on different days.  wash-Dal played on saturday, we played Miami on Sunday.  

I think that was the only time in all the years I have been following the NFL that playoff games were played at the same time.

18 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

that was the strike year so I believe it was the top 8 teams in each conference made the playoffs, there weren't any byes.  8 games were played the first weekend, 4 the next and interestingly enough the title games were played on different days.  wash-Dal played on saturday, we played Miami on Sunday.  

I think that was the only time in all the years I have been following the NFL that playoff games were played at the same time.

Interesting.  I was three years old at the time, so safe to say I had no clue what was happening.  Though odds are I did at least see part of the game.

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Interesting.  I was three years old at the time, so safe to say I had no clue what was happening.  Though odds are I did at least see part of the game.

I was 7, I can vividly remember full games as early as 1981 when I was 6 but not at 3:lol: I love seeing games from that era, the announcers, the graphics, the music.  It brigns back so many great memories(and some painful ones).

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...